Americans Abroad, Monday Edition

*Forward Kenny Cooper scores in the 18th minute and plays 74 minutes in 1860 Munich's 3-1 home loss to Karlsruhe, his second goal in three German second-division matches since arriving from FC Dallas. Munich visits Ahlen on Friday.

*Goalkeeper Brad Friedel helps Aston Villa defeat Liverpool, 3-1, as the Reds suffer their first league loss at Anfield since the 2007-08 campaign. Villa had not beaten Liverpool at any venue in eight years. Compatriot Brad Guzan served as Friedel's backup on the 18-man game-day roster.

Live Premier League action in high definition on a Monday afternoon? Well done, ESPN2 -- except for the announcer's farewell: "In summary: Villa valiant, Liverpool labored, and some would say, rather lily-livered."

By Steve Goff  |  August 24, 2009; 4:52 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , England , Germany
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United News & Notes
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

He did qualify the "lily-livered" comment by noting that only "some" would say it...

Christopher Sullivan would have worked in the words "gladiator" and "technical."

Posted by: DWE4 | August 24, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

How sick would it be if Franken Cooper tore it up and was transferred to the Bundesliga in January!

Posted by: arswift24 | August 24, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Well it's no Caledonian Thistle vs Celtic classic, "Super Cally go ballistic, Celtic are Atrocious" but in my book it'll do!

Posted by: stancollins | August 24, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh come on Goff. Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. The announcers were so much better than anything FSC has ever put on the air and you have the nerve to complain about a cheesy line he dropped at the end? The broadcast was fantastic.

Posted by: Hobes | August 24, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Guzan looked very confident.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 24, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Steve -
What is your thoughts on the loss of World Soccer Daily and the Liverpool fans boycott?
I don't always agree with Steve Cohen but he has added color and brought a lot of education to the US Soccer community and international football.
I think that FSC, Sirus and their advertisers pulling the plug is a huge loss of a controversial but entertaining commentator.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
RDW

Posted by: ronwright | August 24, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Great, I work from home tomorrow, and I get...Maccabi Haifa v Red Bull Salzberg? No thanks.

Posted by: Reignking | August 24, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey, some of us will consume gallons of taurine to be able to work, especially from home.

That said, Atletico Madrid/Panathinaikos is on CSN tomorrow.

Posted by: B_A_ | August 24, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Good game for Friedel, but there were larger powers at work. The angry soccer gods took their revenge for what Liverpool fans did to World Soccer Daily. Justice lives!!! It was a pleasant sight seeing the scousers leaving early.

I echo ronwright's plea. Please cover this story, Goff. Ronwright: Cohen, in the final podcast, says it wasn't the boycott. It was, he says, death threats to himself and his new family from a segment of the Liverpool fanbase.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 24, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Post a poll...who knew who Cohen was before this? Or maybe there is a high degree of soccer fans that have Sirius.

Posted by: Reignking | August 24, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is it looking like two of the Big Four could be replaced this season?

And, obviously Burnley is going to replace one of them.

Posted by: Lucius2 | August 24, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I listened to WSD on podcast every day. So yes, I knew who Cohen was.

Posted by: JayW4 | August 24, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

WSD was a part of my daily consumption of football news. I will miss it. Trying out podcasts from BBC but nothing making me happy at the moment.

Posted by: peridigm | August 24, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW: You didn't need Sirius to listen to the show live.

Posted by: peridigm | August 24, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I was a guest on the show once. I never listened to it. Nothing personal -- talk radio of any kind is just not my thing. Hence, I have no opinion on the show's demise, and between DCU, national team, travel, print/blog, etc, I don't have the time to invest on a story that clearly needs careful, long-term reporting.

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 24, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Hobes:

The broadcast was excellent -- I credited ESPN for the coverage. Did you not read that part?

I thought the final comment was corny. It wasn't an indictment on the total package, just a simple observation. Relax.

SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 24, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

@Lucius2

yeah, Chelsea and Arsenal look like they are the kingpins this year. but i think you have to wait until October to really see how things are shaking out. i was ready to give up on Villa after their opener, but today's result changed that. Martin O'Neill must have been in fine form jumping up and down on the sideline today.

---

i like Goff's response above. you could probably just use "I have no opinion on [insert topic here], and between DCU, national team, travel, print/blog, etc, I don't have the time to invest on a story that clearly needs careful, long-term reporting" as boilerplate for most of the tangential stuff people ask about.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 24, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

@dimesmakedollars

I had given up on them, too. Good to see them win an American derby match. (BTW, Richard Jolly over at ESPN had Friedel as the Man of the Match.)

What Goff really needs to look into is what's going on with ESPN's coverage. Today's match advertised the Burnley/Chelsea match at noon, yet on Soccernet, they have a 7:40 a.m. start time listed, so I guess we were watching the same feed as those in England. But, which games do they have the rights to show over here and what's the overlap with the games they show over there? They had an English-based halftime show today, yet on Saturday it was an American-based show. They also had different graphics today. What's up with all this? I haven't seen anything definitive on any of this. So, Goff, get crackin'!

Posted by: Lucius2 | August 24, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

BTW: You didn't need Sirius to listen to the show live.

Posted by: peridigm

I'm not sure how else you would come across it...

Posted by: Reignking | August 24, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Reignking:

What's the problem? Root for Maccabi Haifa or don't turn on the game. Just don't support a Red Bull team.

Posted by: Curious99 | August 24, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Granted this is a dcu board by default, this is a americans in soccer post so im gonna ask.

Anyone put anything into these Landycakes to France business? I think France is a better fit for him than Germany, but I don't think he would be suited to play on PSG. Apparently the rumor got mentioned during a televised match recently?

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | August 24, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattygp | August 24, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Lucius - When ESPN UK are covering a match (Mondays) - ESPN2 will pull that production fully from the UK. Presenters, graphics, HD, etc.

When Sky are the live UK broadcaster (Saturday early morning), ESPN2 will take their HD picture with the league's graphics and commentators.

When there's no early Saturday match, ESPN will choose a 10am (ET) match from the league feeds and show that in standard definition. As they did with Wigan-Manchester United last weekend.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 24, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Reignking:

Posted by: Curious99

Two teams I couldn't care less about! I was hoping for Atletico-Panathinakos; that Lyon matchup is already over.

Bompastor scores on a PK today in a semifinal 3-1 victory for France in the Euro; in to play Germany.

Posted by: Reignking | August 24, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I got the Wigan Man Utd game in HD down here in flagstaff.

Donovan to PSG would be a good move for him, though I would be sad to see him leave the MLS. As he is the leagues best player.

Liverpool are terrible. Without X. Alonso they lack the control and calmness the midfield once had. Alberto Aquilani is more in the mold of Gerrard than Alonso. AA also has never played an injury free season in the Serie A I predict a tough season for Liverpool. Also, their squad is small.

Don't believe the Arsenal hype, they are good every yr in the beginning. Arsenal's squad is too thin and they lack any strong men for games like Blackburn, Wolves, Stoke, and Birmingham away in Jan/Feb.

Possibly there is now a big 5 with Man City but they are still unproven and it remains to be seen what happens when the going gets tough and Adabayor's ego swells up like it did at the Emirates.

Kenny Cooper is currently making a strong case for being the USMNT 3rd striker. If I was Ching I would start sweating. That of coarse is circumstantial to Bob Bradley dropping his lover boy Ching. (I think everyone on this blog would drop Ching, except that one Dynamo fan who posted on here for some reason a few days ago.)

Lastly, what does this say about either the quality of the MLS, or the lack of quality of the Bundesliga Liga 2 if Cooper can step right in and dominate...?

There I think I have commented on all the earlier posts....

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 24, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I still like Ching. I know, I'm lame, but as much as he does nothing, he's obviously doing something right in Bob's eyes. I'm happy that Coop and Jozy might have an opportunity to stay busy for their club teams, hopefully all of that translates into good things for them in the Nats.

If Ching goes to the Sounders after this season, I'll gladly start hating him though...;-)

Sounds like Flag is treating you ok so far eh, grubbs? When's the monsoon season start?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 24, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29

Thanks! Very helpful.

Posted by: Lucius2 | August 24, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

""except for the announcer's farewell: "In summary: Villa valiant, Liverpool labored, and some would say, rather lily-livered.""

I'm pretty certain Insider regulars appreciate such literary elegance, Herr Goff.

Posted by: delantero | August 25, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

The monsoon is over us but it doesn't affect flagstaff apparently because of the mountains. The mountains kill all the moisture or something. I could be wrong as I am not a weather man. It's a fun little town though. No DC United though which is said.

Its funny that I will usually rout for any team accept NYRB or SSFC.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 25, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

PSG est magique???

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 25, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Villans like lillies and liver! EPL is so over the top at times. You gotta love it.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 25, 2009 6:18 AM | Report abuse

About Kenny Cooper's hot start: don't forget Eric Wynalda's really hot start in Germany about 14 years ago. He scored something like 8 goals in his first 8 games, in Bundesliga 1. Then no goals for pretty much the rest of the year.

Whether the drop off had to do with the league getting used to him, or to somewhat less adrenaline once he had secured his spot, who knows?

But let's not put too much into Cooper's start until we've seen what happens over time.

Posted by: tgrahame1 | August 25, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I like Cooper and Wynalda is kind of a jerk.

Having said that, Cooper has a very long way to go if he wants to match Wynalda's career - especially when it comes to the US Men's team.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 25, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with runningcloud--Long live the Curse of WSD!! No Top 4 for Liverpool this year.

Posted by: dargumedo | August 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I got the Wigan Man Utd game in HD down here in flagstaff.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 24, 2009 10:49 PM

Well, it was almost HD - if that makes sense. The TWI league feed is (I think) 576p - which is in between standard and high def. ESPN are able to scale this feed for their HD channels and make it look nicer than FSC and Setanta - but not full HD, and ESPN wouldn't list it as such.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 25, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I would listen to John Champion, Alan Parry, Martin Tyler or Bill Leslie read a phone book.

My only complaint is the lack of a smooth intro or exit from the broadcast for the American audience. It seemed like ESPN2 had stolen the signal from ESPN UK or something. It was very abrupt, but it will get better.

Posted by: IamAM | August 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Goff:

A quibble. Yes, WSD was talk show -- but it was a highly informative one. My futball knowledge is richer for listening. Their regular guests included experts on every top league in the world. The appearances by Graham Poll provided great insight into reffing and why some of those inexplicable decisions are logical and proper. If DCU had the quality of WSD, they'd be unbeaten in all competitions.

I'm sorry you don't have the time to cover the demise of WSD. Your work product here and in print shows the time you spend on your beat. I just hope somebody does the story for a major print/net outlet. If nothing else, the anti-semitism needs exposure. NPR recently did a piece on the boycott. Hopefully, they'll do a follow-up. I spent my professional life in the news business. I would have loved to have covered this story.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Altidore Goal!

Posted by: arswift24 | August 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Also,

I agree WSD demise should be BIGGER news, the size of the audience and the drama involved would make it a good story!

Posted by: arswift24 | August 25, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse