Boyzzz's Scare

Thabiso "Boyzzz" Khumalo, D.C. United's South African winger, was on the brink of returning from a broken wrist last week when the injury became infected -- a setback that will sideline him for at least four more weeks.

Read his harrowing tale:

"I didn't know there was an infection. What I knew was, I could feel something. When I held my hand up, I could feel stuff dripping under the cast. I didn't know what it was. I told the trainers. They just told me it was sweat because I was training and it was hot. Of course, I believed them, only to find out when I went to the doctor [as scheduled] to get a smaller cast, they opened it, and the nurse just looked at me and was like, 'You don't want to see this.' I was like, 'What do you mean?' I looked at it one time. It was like snot -- blue stuff, red stuff was coming out. It was nasty. I was like, 'What is this?' "

"I had to go straight to the hospital and they had to suck all that infection out. I was in the hospital last week, Monday to Friday. I had two or three operations to get it out. I thought maybe my arm had to come off. It was scary. It didn't hurt too much because they gave me the pills. I can't do any workouts for a while. I just have to relax, let it heal up and see what happens."

By Steve Goff  |  August 24, 2009; 12:28 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soehn Doesn't Have Swine Flu
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

Yikes. I'm extremely disappointed that the training staff didn't take his comments more seriously when he first noticed it.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | August 24, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

That's terrible, get well soon.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 24, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks Boyzz may have grounds for a lawsuit against the training staff, no?

Posted by: jofij | August 24, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeesh. Posted right during my lunch, too...

Posted by: schmuckatelli | August 24, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

wait - don't mention anything about the trainers. they're sacrosanct.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 24, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Gnarlz in Charge! I'm no doctor, not even close, but why would you put a cast over sutures? Seems like an infection lying in wait, especially for anyone who may be working out in the DC heat...
Bummer for him, and for the club.
When's this new forward guy coming in on loan?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 24, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

If I was Boyzzz, I would go throat-punch the trainers with my good arm. When a player complains that something is dripping from a recent break or surgery area, you don't just blow him off. I would expect us to have a more professional training staff - especially after what Mark Simpson went through, I am surprised he would allow the trainers to be so nonchalant with one of his players.

If San Jose hears that he has blue goo inside him, will they try to get him away from us?

Posted by: dcufan | August 24, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeesh. Posted right during my lunch, too...

Posted by: schmuckatelli

Mid-chew for me. Ug.

Posted by: Reignking | August 24, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The same training staff that has everyone in the hospital with a hernia or hamstring pull.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ahh yes, mid-bite and I read this. BLEH!

Wow I think DCU's training staff may need some uhh... TRAINING! Having been the recent victim of a wrist injury I would think that these trained professionals would know to maybe exam a little more closely before just dismissing the complaint.

He's lucky he caught it when he did, otherwise I'd hate to see what could have happened. Get well soon Boyzzz!

Posted by: beltwayrob | August 24, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

FIRE BRIAN GOODSTEIN!!!

Posted by: DCUMD | August 24, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Lucky it was caught early - it could of gone systemic and caused even more damage.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | August 24, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

did someone say dc had a pro soccer team? not

Posted by: alexandria66 | August 24, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck in your recovery Boyzzz and a big WTF to the training staff. Sweat? Really great f'n excuse

Posted by: MOCker | August 24, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

You are in our thoughts Boyzzz. Get well soon!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 24, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Good to see that the doctors caught it when they did. Hopefully it heals up well for Khumalo to join us in the playoff push when we'll need him the most.

Even if they had to cut both of Boyzzz's arms off, Jair Marrufo would be no less likely to call a handball on him.

(poor taste?)

Posted by: DCUMD | August 24, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Good luck and get well soon, Boyzzz.

Now the training staff on the other hand...WTF?!?!

Goff, you had to go all HD with the details during lunch, huh?

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 24, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That is ashame. I hope he gets well soon. We could have used him.

Posted by: no_recess | August 24, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope United trainers aren't around if I'm ever hurt.

Posted by: sitruc | August 24, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

When he returned from the hospital I hope he gave the trainors the finger with his good hand!

Posted by: b18bolo | August 24, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Boyzzz doesn't find himself in the doghouse for telling the truth.

Man, speaking of doghouse, sounds like DCU's training staff has been hanging out with the Cleveland Browns--staph infection, anyone?!?!

Posted by: yankiboy | August 24, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Utterly unacceptable. Chang has to hold these idiots accountable, this is no joke and could well have become life-threatening. Looks like the "Civil War Surgeon" (sharp knife, bone saw, whiskey & a bullet) might be an improvement over DCU's training staff. Sheesh.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 24, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

That's the problem when athletic trainers think they are MD's. That smell oozing from Boyyzz cast? Staph, maybe MRSA?!

Posted by: delantero | August 24, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

We didn't have problems with infections, concussions and hernias when Ric Guter was here. Just sayin...

Posted by: ddd001 | August 24, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I they sure he wasn't just turning into a prawn?

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | August 24, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@ dcufan - those sound more like Seattle's colors...maybe the same smell too. Ever been down by the Sound where they toss the fish around?

Posted by: soccerman | August 24, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Even the trainers?

Is there anyone in the front office these days who has a clue?

Posted by: lastort1 | August 24, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 24, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I think "hernia surgery” is only reserved for the higher salary or veteran players who need to go visit the "hernia" doctor in Germany, because the 30 or more actual hernia surgeons who could do the “surgery” in DC aren't as "good".

In cycling they call it EPO.

The hamstring pulls are just a result of incompetent trainers and not enough stretching.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 24, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

That's embarrassing for the staff. Basic lesson #1: Listen to the patient. "Dripping" is not normal inside a cast. And I agree with delantero, stitches inside a cast that you can't see through, not too bright.

Posted by: bdwooton | August 24, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse