Cristiano Ronaldo's Jersey

Who claimed Cristiano Ronaldo's coveted jersey following Real Madrid's friendly against D.C. United at FedEx Field? Apparently, Firaol Tamire, a 12-year-old eighth-grader from Thomas Jefferson Middle School in Arlington, Va., who escorted Ronaldo to the field before kickoff. After the match, instead of trading jerseys with a DCU player, "Ronaldo found me, gave me a hug and then gave me his game jersey," Firaol said, according to Arlington Soccer Association. "That was the most exciting day of my life. I will never forget it as long as I live."

kidronaldo.jpg
(By Eduardo Yus)

By Steve Goff  |  August 20, 2009; 10:13 AM ET
Categories:  Real Madrid , Youth soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS, CONCACAF, WPS, USL
Next: U.S. World Cup Bid Cutdown

Comments

Well that's cool, I guess...I'm still not a huge fan of the guy.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

These kids today are such Eurosnobs.

/snark

Posted by: the_slammer | August 20, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

That kid had a great day. Ronaldo had his arm around him the entire time they walked onto the field and then, after handshakes with DC United, pretty much every Real Madrid player shook his hand or hugged him as they walked past him to take the team picture.

Posted by: AndrewKB | August 20, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm no CR fan, but that was pretty classy and he deserves props!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 20, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

What a lucky kid. When I was 12 years old I was only in 7th grade.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 20, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

what Pedalada said.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 20, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I've always thought of CR as a pretentious footballer with little regard for the soccer public. But wow, I was wrong. What a class act he is.

I am very familiar with this story and I can say that the kid was overwhelmed (and overjoyed) by the kindness of CR.

I won't ever be a Real Madrid fan, but I'll def be rooting for CR.

Posted by: Madaoua | August 20, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

That's why they are here. Good job CR.
Hope the others were as gracious and respectful.

Posted by: googlio | August 20, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Luck had nothing to do with it.

All the ball kid and escort/mascot positions were for sale. Same thing for regular season games. 'Birthday kid' access is bought, too.

DC United 'sells' those slots to groups that buy X amount of tickets.

No luck involved. Money gets you on the pitch.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | August 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Puke. This is news how?

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Now that takes a bit of prissyness out of CR. Reminds me of Cal Ripkin Jr who would sign autographs for hours after games.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 20, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@Pedalada: I coulda sworn you read my mind. That was pretty legit. Ronaldo does have a bad attitude, but that made me think a little. A little, not alot. He still dives and cries.

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 20, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

eBay?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that its news... but its of interest to local soccer fans (and DCU and RM fans elsewhere). Especially those of us who sweated through the DCU-RM friendly.

I'm no RM fan, but it goes to to show that athletes (heck, people in general) are often more complex (and maybe a little bit more human) than their media-derived public personas.

Maybe I'll boo CR a little less when Barca plays them in El Classico.

(Off topic: I'd rather read blog posts like this, and readers' responses, than what's going on elsewhere in the Post-- i.e. Kennedy, Novak articles. Some crazy, vitriolic stuff out there from all parts of the political spectrum--kind of bummed me out reading it.)

Posted by: Mixter | August 20, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm no CR fan, but that was pretty classy and he deserves props!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 20, 2009 10:31 AM

It's nice when these guys realize how easy it is to make a kid's day/month/year.

Watched the Celtic-Arsenal match the other day. Before the teams walked out, Cesc Fabregas was talking to his corresponding mascot (they're mascots, call me a eurosnob if you will, but escorts work the lobby of the Mayflower - just sayin' :-). Anyway, the bespectacled girl mascot was clearly a bit of a chatterbox, but Fabregas was completely engaged in the conversation with her - smiling, laughing, making eye contact. He couldn't have looked like more of a decent gentleman. My respect for him doubled, just with a 10 second clip before a Champions League qualifier.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Luck had nothing to do with it.

DC United 'sells' those slots to groups that buy X amount of tickets.

No luck involved. Money gets you on the pitch.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | August 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Puke. This is news how?

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 20, 2009 11:05 AM

---

Aren't you guys late for the Curmudgeon Convention? Gargamel is wondering where you are.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

...then afterwards he came over and gave him his short shorts...This aint news....Now if it was Raul Diaz Arce or Richie Williams, then you got something kid! :0

Posted by: alan19 | August 20, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@Booger Knight
I hear you Booger. My wife loves when they show a feel-good story on the news. I on the other hand would rather see human misery stories.

For some reason, though, I do like to see a multi-millionare athlete giving any attention to a young fan. It's news.

Here's a link to a lovely English soccer riot to keep things balanced.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 20, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

man that was my old school. memories..lol

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 20, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Jersey"?!

"And my tires were slashed and I almost crashed but the Lord had mercy
And my machine she's a dud out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Well hold on tight, stay up all night 'cause Rosie I'm comin' on strong
By the time we meet the morning light I will hold you in my arms..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Careful Firaol. Wearing Ronaldo's jersey causes episodic ataxia. You will suddenly fall down on the soccer field when an opponent is within five yards of you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 20, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Ha!

Well played I-270!

Posted by: Mixter | August 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@9Nine9
dude, you can't compare Ronaldo to Cal. You just can't. Cal was a class act, respected by his fans and peers for his entire career.

Posted by: Matte | August 20, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Puke. This is news how?

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 20, 2009 11:05 AM
__________________________________________

If you don't find this item interesting, you can simply skip over it, just as others can skip over news of some obscure American not getting off the bench in a game somewhere in Scandinavia. If everyone posted to this blog every time he/she saw something that didn't personally interest him/her, those posts would outnumber substantive posts by 1,000 to 1, easily.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 20, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

How much does it cost to escort players onto the field?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 20, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"THANKS MEAN JOE"

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 20, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost: Didn't President Clinton once give you a blue dress?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Rbnaldo just became a lot more human to me.

Nice.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 20, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost: Didn't President Clinton once give you a blue dress?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

What's with the Monica reference and why aim it at me? I truthfully have no idea why you posted this.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, dude. Just making a crack at an SI regular, and it was your turn.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost: Didn't President Clinton once give you a blue dress?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Why post garbage like this? Grow up

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 20, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1,

OK. No worries. I thought I had done something to piss you off that I wasn't aware of.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 20, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Not at all, CP. I believe someone here once wrote "we kid because we love." Well, love is probably too strong a word, but you get the point.

As for Gambrills4... still working on your recommendation. But I'm not optimistic.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Joedoc1,

I wasn't aware it was a joke. I overreacted. My bad.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 20, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

How much does it cost to escort players onto the field?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 20, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________________________________

40 tickets & 11 player kits.... a little pricey just to walk on the field holding hands with the players.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 20, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Luck had nothing to do with it.

DC United 'sells' those slots to groups that buy X amount of tickets.

No luck involved. Money gets you on the pitch.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | August 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse
_____________________________________________________

Even though the kid's team may have met purchase requirements to be the player escorts, it was still very classy for CRon to go out of his way to find this kid and give him his jersey. He didn't have to, it was an extra effort on his part and I think it shows something about CRon's character that most of us probably assumed he lacked.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 20, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

No, the mistake was mine. It wasn't funny.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

All the comments on here about CR9 being a diver is getting old and pathetic. I don't remember reading about idiots like Stevie Gerrard, who by the way dives as much as next player, giving his Jersey to a kid. I don't know if anyone recalls, but after the Tsunami hit Sri Lanka, CR9 paid for a kid who lost his parents to come to Portugal and attend a few Portuguese qualifying matches. Not the first time he's done this and I suspect it won't be the last. Give the guy a break and stop basing your opinions on what the worthless English press writes. What do you expect from a bunch DC United fans who actually think this MLS team plays quality football...lol!

Posted by: FootballnotSoccer | August 21, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Like 'FootballnotSoccer' noted, this is not the first time Ronaldo has done something nice, nor is it going to be the last. Just because the press does not pick up on or publicize all of Ronaldo's nice gestures doesn't mean he's as self-obsessed and arrogant as he's made out to be by tabloids. Whoever thinks Ronaldo is the pantomime villain should read this:

As for this particular gesture, I'm happy for the kid!

Posted by: FootieMad | August 21, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse