D.C. United News and Notes

*Clyde Simms, who had hernia surgery a couple weeks ago, participated in training and might make an appearance Sunday against Real Madrid at FedEx Field. "Going all out and sprinting is still a little painful and striking long distance, it's still tight in there," he said. "Hopefully I can get some minutes. I am definitely more worried about Toronto" next weekend.

*Ange N'Silu (hamstring) and Boyzzz Khumalo (wrist) worked out on the side as part of their rehabilitation.

*Ticket sales are around 65,000. DCU officials are encouraging early arrival -- lots open at 10 a.m. The FedExRFK (yes, RFK) ticket windows will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday for those interested in making a purchase or picking up will-call tickets.

*Luciano Emilio and his wife, Elenice, welcomed their second daughter on Thursday, Ana Carolina.

*Rookie Chris Pontius, on Real Madrid's big-money transfers: "I kinda like how teams like Arsenal and Man U bring people up from the youth system and don't go on big spending sprees. Barcelona does that. They are what they are: They went out and bought a bunch of big players and they have a great team. I'm not going to judge them for that, but I'm more of a fan of bringing players up from the youth system."

By Steve Goff  |  August 7, 2009; 11:50 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Real Madrid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: USA's Roster for Mexico Trip

Comments

Congrats to Luci and his wife!

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 7, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, ManU doesn't make huge purchases because they're carrying an insane amount of debt.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 7, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me like Pontius has got it wrong -

Manchester United goes out and buys big all the time. Rooney, Berbatov, Nani, C. ronaldo, Anderson, Carrick, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, the young Brazilian twins, Possebon, Valencia, and on and on are not from Man Utd's youth teams. They were all bought for big money.

The same goes for Arsenal. They may buy them young but it doesn't mean that players like Cesc Fabregas, Adebayor, Vela, Nasri and on and on are coming through Arsenal's youth system.

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | August 7, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Somebody remind Pontius that Barcelona is known for producing their own players... Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Valdez, Busquets, in other words, the core of the current team, is Barcelona bred. Of course if you want to win at that level you must compete for other top talent. BTW, the Arsenal captain (Fabregas), Barcelona academy product. Check your facts Chris.

Posted by: 8dcmadman | August 7, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Being as Pontius was our draft pick and we are bringing him up, I hope he remembers this at contract extension time.

Posted by: jsm3 | August 7, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

8dcman, I think he was referring to Barca being "like that" in that they do bring them up from their academy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 7, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
What would you say the chances are of either N'Silu or Boyzzz getting a cameo on Sunday? Also, do you think they'll give both goalies some minutes since the game doesn't count?

Posted by: jonfhoffman | August 7, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I like Pontius, but that is a pretty idiotic comment. Who in Man United's current starting XI was brought up in their youth system (outside of Giggs and Scholes who are past their best)? While they haven't engaged in the level of lunacy that Real Madrid has this summer, they have spent huge sums at the time on on Rooney and Ferdinand and dropped 30 million for Berbatov last summer.

Also, many of the young players they are trying to bring up were pillaged from other youth systems (the same could be said to extent about all of the Big Four).

Posted by: iowahawks83 | August 7, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

...says Chris Pontius until Real Madrid dangles 5,000 pesetas and a bowl of paella to MLS for his services....

And yes, I know Spain doesn't use pesetas anymore...

Posted by: DWE4 | August 7, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Re: 8dcmadman,

Darn tootin sir. La Masia, the Barca youth academy, has produced and continues to produce some fantastic players. Add to your list Pique, Pep Guardiola, and Reina.

But then again, Real Madrid's youth system has produced some high quality talent as well: Guti, Raul, Casillas, and many others.

Players are commodities and it would be ridiculous for a club not to develop their own. You bring up a player and if he doesn't fit into your system, you sell him off. It is an important part of the business. Heck, Ajax is pretty much a factory for top class talent that they then sell to larger clubs for hugs amounts of money.

Posted by: bigbadbri | August 7, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

that would be huge.

though hugs probably happen as well.

and it looks like Pontius wasn't accusing Barca of not bringing up their own players.

Posted by: bigbadbri | August 7, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Geez...you all are harsh! Give the kid Pontius a break..he's just a rook.

Posted by: dcu4life1 | August 7, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

ONE MORE TIME: PONTIUS WAS SAYING THAT BARCA BRING YOUTH PLAYERS UP THROUGH THEIR SYSTEM. DON'T GET YOUR EUROSNOB PANTIES TIED UP IN SUCH TIGHT KNOTS!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

AND CONGRATS ON THE NEW EDITION LUCI AND FAM!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

WHAT DADRYAN SAID - BOTH POSTS!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 7, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

With San Juan's victory over San Francisco last night, the group stage of the CCL gets as many Caribbean entrants as MLS entrants.

The top three teams from the CFU Club competition qualify for the CCL. However, they are placed in the preliminary round. San Juan Jabloteh's advancement comes after Puerto Rico's advancement over Toronto FC and W Connection's advancement over NYRB giving the Caribbean a clean sweep in the preliminary round. San Juan and Connection are both from the T&T Professional League.

MLS went 1-2 in the preliminary round while the Caribbean clubs went 3-0. All three Caribbean clubs are currently in season just like MLS. This is a blow to the reputation of MLS no matter how one looks at it. I'm sure someone will try to spin this but it will fall on mostly deaf ears. MLS must start doing better in these international competitions, period.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Crofton- Very good point. I wasn't even aware there was a T&T League. I also wrongly assumed that the Islanders road to the CCL went through the USL not the CFU. I Like having San Juan in United's group instead of San Francisco.

Posted by: blackandred777 | August 7, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Ditto to the ditto on DadRyan.

Also - I hope Simms doesn't push himself too hard and make the injury worse. We need him desperately.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | August 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

correction: the ticket office at RFK, not FedEx, will be open Saturday to make purchases or pick up will-call tickets. Even though the game is at FedEx, the tickets are being handled at DCU offices at RFK. sorry for the confusion.....

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 7, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes Real Madrid spent obscene amounts of money this summer, but they also brought back three of their own youth products from stints that vastly improved them (as opposed to the alternative--playing in the cantera or sitting on the bench). I hope Granero, Negredo, and Arbeloa will get a significant chance this season.

Posted by: Louise9 | August 7, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Barca does regularly create geniuses through la masia, but, at the same time, Maradona, Cryuff, Ronaldo, Stoichkov, Figo, Rivaldo, Eto'o, et. al., weren't home grown talent then, and Henry, Marquez (shudders), Ibra, Milito, Alves, and so on aren't home grown talent now.

It's all relative, other than the times when Real has decided to make a decades worth of huge buys in the space of 2 months...

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 7, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Pontius is a Premiershipsnob! And hates on La Liga!

Posted by: Reignking | August 7, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 7, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

From memory, the following played in the first team at least, once if not more, last season:

Neville, Brown, Giggs, Scholes, Wellbeck, J. Evans, Fletcher, Simpson, Gibson

Sincerely,
Mancosnob

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 7, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey, are any of you guys familiar with FedEx field. Let's say I

get there very early (I probably will)
drink lots of water because it will be 96 freaking degrees (I probably will)
have a girl bladder (I definitely do)

Are there porta potties in the parking lots? Or the equivalent of p**s hill at Nissan?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 7, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

BlackandRedRedDevil,

Yes. They are lined up along the service roads to the stadium.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't find anything official on FedEX lots opening at 10:00am. I though I trust Goff, I would feel better if I saw it somewhere else.

Posted by: giardinie | August 7, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Pontius is a fan of developing young players. I wonder why?

Congrats, Emilio. Celebrate it on Sunday with a brace.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 7, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

W Connection's advancement over NYRB...

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but NYRB stands for New York Review of Books. After the Red Bulls' performance Wednesday, they don't deserve an acronym anymore!

Charuto Emilio! I always have the opinion that a player tends to play poorly just prior to the birth of a baby and returns to normal afterwards, but I don't have the facts to back that up. Just a feeling.

Posted by: prokaryote | August 7, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Croft!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 7, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: giardinie | August 7, 2009 2:14 PM

*********************************

A half page ad on the back of the Post Sports section says "FedExField parking lots & box office open at 10am"

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Fedex Field opens five hours prior to kickoff for Redskins games so it is standard procedure.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: giardinie | August 7, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Is the twitter feed good enough?

Posted by: prokaryote | August 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

got invited to attend the USA-Mexico match but cheapest flight is over $900. figured you all would understand how bummed I am right now.

sunday's real-dcu game better be good.

Posted by: troy6 | August 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Goff, sportscenter said the US roster for the mexico game is out but they only stated the goalies and defenders, chad marshall over heath pierce, otherwise it was what was expected.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Who, in their right mind would spend 4-5 hours in a hot parking lot? I'll be quite happy getting there between 2-2:30, making sure I'm in my seat in time.

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If Simms and N'Silu can't go, 2 field players will have to go the full 90. Habarugira's missing out on a great opportunity. Are there any Academy players DCU might consider using?

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

fischy-be careful arriving that late. Not only is the traffic typically bad but there is usually a lengthy backup to get through security at the gate. I wouldn't plan on any later than 2:00 unless you don't mind possibly missing the first five minutes or so.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | August 7, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess Emilio won't be too well rested for the rest of this season....Maybe this explains why Tino is looking a lot more tired and less sharp lately? On the other hand, Fred's daughter is now over a year old -- he should be getting a good night sleep and he is as far from sharp as can be.

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh I see..you have to be a member and sign to see the article:

.S. ROSTER BY POSITION Full Roster Click Here
GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 11/7 SO)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 21/3), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, 2/0), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover: 18/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford: 2/0), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew: 0/0), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan: 16/1), Jonathan Spector (West Ham: 2/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach: 10/4), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo: 5/0), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC: 17/4), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus: 1/0), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo: 0/0), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca: 5/0)
FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal: 8/5), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids: 5/0), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 15/6), Charlie Davies (FC Sochaux: 2/1), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy: 30/11)

Posted by: no_recess | August 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@no recess -- There is an article. Scroll down...

For everyone else:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

All you Torres lovers should happy. But, you Casey haters will not be.

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

You guys ok? Anyone else need any help with the New and Improved US Soccer website? ;-)
daddy like...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I would change is Cooper for Casey (I guess since Cooper is new to 1860 Munich he does not get the callup. Still after watching Casey in a few matches he sucks. Also I would have chosen Pearce over Bornstein (see Casey). I don't think either will make the 18 man roster.

Posted by: no_recess | August 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

thanks everyone.

not a bad line up, i guess conor casey has taken eddie johnson's role of undeserved reserve forward that bb loves for some reason.

I wanted cooper over casey, other than that not too bad.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 7, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@fischy

Uhh...scrolling down is kinda how I cut and paste the roster.

Posted by: no_recess | August 7, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Namoff listed as Questionable with a hammy strain on the DCU website...

If Namoff can't go, who the heck plays right back??? Jakovic? Could we see Jakovic-Janicki-Burch-John??? *shudder*

Posted by: the_slammer | August 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

Something tells me Szetela will be out there for as long as possible due to the lack of mileage on his legs. I could also see John playing 90, since I think he has the fewest minutes played amongst our defenders.

the_slammer:

If we go with a back three, it could be McTavish, or Janicki coming into the middle with Jakovic sliding right. If it's a back four, it'll be McTavish.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

I'm hoping we go with a back four. I don't really trust our three man backline to withstand the barrage very long.

If Namoff can't go, I'd like to see, as you suggest:

------------------Wicks-------------------
--McTavish----Jakovic--Janicki-----Burch--
------------------Simms-------------------
---Quaranta----------------------Wallace--
------------------Gomez-------------------
---------Pontius-----------Emilio---------

Jacobson for Simms if he can't go.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the parking lot verification, you guys.

Posted by: giardinie | August 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Who, in their right mind would spend 4-5 hours in a hot parking lot?

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 2:43 PM
****

Thanks for your kind words.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 7, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

who in their right mind would spend so much money on a ticket and not get their money's worth tailgating with the party people?
Some people still like to have a good time at a match perhaps...
Hope everyone has a wonderful time, and no one on or off the field gets hurt!
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Tailgating is for some and not for others (no need for insults though). As for me, I live for the smell of hickory or oak smoke enveloping a rack of ribs or a beercan chicken.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't dissing the tailgate. Just questioning why you'd show up at 10 for a 3:00 game. That's one crazy long tailgate, specially when it's going to be in the high 90s. Maybe I'm just getting old....

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

fischy-you should see the college football fans of the South. They show up a day or two in advance. It is an awesome sight.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 7, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse