DCU News and Notes

*Chris Pontius says he has recovered well from his quadriceps injury and he should be ready to play Saturday against the Galaxy at RFK Stadium. Speaking in general about the team's rut, he said: "Everyone is pissed off right now. I was mad watching [the past two road games] on TV. It was just lethargic performances. There wasn't any energy, people weren't working for each other."

*Coach Tom Soehn, on the Marathon loss: "I actually thought the team did a pretty good job. We just had an individual who didn't play well and it really hurt us."

*Soehn, on the culprit, Greg Janicki: "Some of the mistakes he is making are mistakes you shouldn't see at the professional level. He has had a rough stretch, that's all I can say."

*On the team's mood: "This last game, the locker room got a little hot, as it should. It's finally them feeling that they are tired of the way results are going and the mistakes that are happening. There's some accountability right now. We'll see if that translates to the field."

*Locker room being "hot"?: "Take it for what it is: The locker room was hot." (Somehow, I don't think Tommy meant the thermostat was set too high.)

*On Danny Szetela's absence: "It was a coach's choice."

*On Szetela's fitness: "We made him work hard while we were gone, so today he was a bit sore. We will see how he responds."

*Szetela, on being left home: "A little bit [surprised]. I talked to Coach about it. There were a few personal things that came up and it's important for me right now to get my fitness up and be ready for these games."

*Can you expand on the "personal things"? "It's more just between the team. I'd rather keep it between the team."

By Steve Goff  |  August 20, 2009; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen Speaks
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Very curious....

Let's hope Danny is finally ready to go, for real We need someone who can push this offense forward.

Posted by: fischy | August 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The plot thickens. There is more going on than meets the eye, that is fer sure.

Posted by: lrg1231 | August 20, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Could there be a Soumare situation with Szetela?

Posted by: sitruc | August 20, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

same BS as last summer

Posted by: OWNTF | August 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Soehn not mincing words on Janicki. You don't see that often -- but you also don't see someone playing so awfully, either.

Posted by: Reignking | August 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

It looks like things are reaching a boiling point with this team. For the well-being of the locker room and the future of the team, they need to win.

Posted by: sitruc | August 20, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't be a Beckham game weekend with out a effin' soap opera I suppose. Why the hell is there an interview on DCU's site with Beckham? He looks to have been in DC training before the team even arrived? What kind of jinx are they trying to put on themselves by posting video of HIM talking about getting a positive result in DC?
I don't need to hear about how fond he is of DC because it was where he first demonstrated on Troy Perkins his dead ball skills.
Chicago looks to be having locker room problems too. Look where that got them last night.
I know Tommy isn't going to get fired this season, but I don't think the guy is cut out for the job. The fact that Ben Olsen has more to say than the coach himself says a whole heck of a lot about where the motivation comes from.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 20, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

He has special moments, but they are few and far between and the heart is not there. You think the team (esp. Olsen) noticed and put the screws to him?!

I hope this stint at home inspires him.

Posted by: DCUnited4vr | August 20, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Szetela is a Eurosnob.

Posted by: Reignking | August 20, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, maybe Szetela is out of shape, and maybe the team can't get the energy to play games, but we've seen this mid to late season fade under Soehn before. If this continues, Soehn has to go. We saw it last year--for whatever reason the team doesn't play as hard and cohesively as it should. We dismantled a strong team and are still dealing with the problems that created, but a second consecutive fade and missing the playoffs should be it for Soehn. He just doesn't, for whatever reason, get the players to produce. Ragging on his players in public (both Janicki, who did suck against Marathon, and Szetela) isn't a good sign either.

Posted by: macheath | August 20, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

This team isn playing about as well as its old legs will allow it to. One or two more losses and we are done for this year.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I think both Szatela and Soehn are showing restraint and professionalism by not airing their grievance in the press. I know that doesn't help Goff do his job, but it's better for the club that way.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | August 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff - whats the expected attendance for the Galaxy game?

Posted by: erichfeige | August 20, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Accountability. That's a good word, and I'm glad to hear Soehn say it.

OT: Roger Federer is getting soundly beaten.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 20, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan:

Volume of words in the press is not really an indicator of who's in charge. Peter Nowak barely gave SG any info ("10 players and a goalie"). I've got to say, it doesn't look to me like the players have given up on Soehn or each other; they just look tired. Tired players give flat performances and make mental mistakes. Look at the areas we're struggling in: central defensive breakdowns and finishing. Both require focus, and who here hasn't had trouble focusing when they're tired?

***

I think the most crucial piece of information here is that Pontius is fit. He's a much better fit to lead the line against LA's smart, big, but slow (laterally as well as straight line) center backs. We need to get someone running in the gaps and onto through balls, because they will not keep up. Chicago had a lot of problems attacking LA (especially lack of movement), but the biggest was trying to go high when McBride is on the sideline. Nyarko is the perfect kind of forward to attack Gonzalez and Berhalter, and Chicago got it preposterously wrong.

The other thing to note is that LA is going to transition as fast as possible. Having Simms and Wallace is going to be important, because they will be having to run with fast players. Simms is going to have to be very strong, both in possession (no giveaways!) and in clogging up LA's attempts at springing a break. Logan Pause played poorly last night, and LA sussed that out quickly and took advantage. We can't afford to do the same.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 20, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Soehn not mincing words on Janicki. You don't see that often
========================

Disagree. I think he hangs players out to dry all the time, beginning with Boswell. Unattractive in my book. But then my book doesn't sell very well.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I wonder who threw the first punch..
=)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 20, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

yeah, that's not really the first time Soehn's done that with a player. its seems unprofessional to me. but so does standing on the sideline with a dumbstruck look on your face, while wearing an ill-fitted, untucked dress shirt.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 20, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Tired players give flat performances and make mental mistakes." (Chest)

I think this describes Jaime right now. I think he logging way more minutes that he should or intended to at this point in the season and it shows. He has seemed to be _very_ tired and prone to making mistakes and losing the ball in a way that Jaime just doesn't normally do.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I wonder who threw the first punch..
=)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88

------------------------------------------

From what I understand, Bakary Soumare.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 20, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Szetela is reminding me of Mathis. Always in the dog house.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Soehn not mincing words on Janicki. You don't see that often
========================

Posted by: OWNTF | August 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

-----------

Well it's the difference between Boswell not being a leader at times and Janicki straight up costing us a game.

To go with a Top Chef metaphor, Bobby at times was trying to do too much on his plate, and Janicki doesn't know how to cook a fish. Okay that was a terrible metaphor, but you get the idea.

Posted by: M__N | August 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree with VTUnited. I think he looks like a hapless stockbroker on the sidelines most matches.

And while I don't like it that Tommy throws players under the bus, and isn't a good coach, Janicki deserves an eighteen wheeler for that performance.

As for Szetela, I think it is pretty clear that the confident, excellent coaches find ways to make talented rebels forget that they are divas by getting good performances out of them. Soehn is just trying to keep his job, and is threatened by Danny. Which is sad, because he isn't even a star at the moment. If we get rid of him before Tommy is fired at the end of the season, I will be seriously miffed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 20, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve, you're leading us on the Szetela story like it's a classic serial/soap opera! Good stuff. I won't be surprised to read that his actual name is Richard "Dick" Whitman and that he stole Danny Szetela's dog tags.

{Sorry, obscure Mad Men reference - I'm obsessed}

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Cook a fish? It's more like Janicki doesn't know how to unwrap the thing from the store in the first place.

Posted by: gmAndAguinness. | August 20, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Good to see our guys showing some passion, including Soehn. Pontius is "mad" about our team's performance? He needs to take that anger out on the Galaxy on Saturday. These guys have the skills to win these games, as Chest suggested on the previous thread, and if they are all motivated to play like a team they WILL win these games.

Interesting to see Soehn call out Janicki specifically, but he's not saying anything that anyone would disagree with. The last time he called out a single player it was Crayton, and we all know how that ended.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 20, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Ooh I just thought of a conspiracy theory… Soehn is trying to make Szetela look like a locker room cancer so Philly doesn't select him in the expansion draft.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 20, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

DCUNITED4vr,

"I have felt, everytime I see Szetela on the field, that he is loafing and in general not putting forth much effort."

What? Are you kidding me man...He's been the only one to make solid passes. Would rather see Jacobson take long distance shots that never result in Goals? Goodness man, Soehn is the problem, lets face it, we need a better coach.

Posted by: godpere | August 20, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if Szetela was getting some resentment from any of the players who felt like he might eat into their playing time. i'm sure i would feel threatened by any new person brought in to compete with me.

beyond just integrating new players into the rotation on the field, they also have to be integrated in the clubhouse and it seems as though (based on Soehn's and Benny's comments) that may not be going so smoothly right now. winning would help, but it's not a cure-all. the veterans and coaches need to keep everyone working toward the same goals, but it looks like that's not happening currently.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 20, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29

maybe Soehn is trying to pit people against each other like Sterling Cooper is doing with Pete Campbell and Ken Cosgrove...

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 20, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know whats going on with the Fulham match? Is Eddie Johnson on the bench?

Posted by: arswift24 | August 20, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 20, 2009 3:22 PM

I would say that's true, if there weren't so many matches to go around in the late Summer. The squad can use as much help as they can get - from whomever is brought in.

I'm guessing he came back from Europe to little MLS and thought he could country club it through the Summer - only to be told he's way out of shape and needs to get a lot better.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arswift24 | August 20, 2009 3:28 PM

Fulham are up 1-nil (Andy Johnson) and EJ is indeed on the bench...

Fulham: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky, Dempsey, Etuhu, Murphy, Gera, Andrew Johnson, Zamora

Subs: Stockdale, Kelly, Baird, Nevland, Duff, Riise, Eddie Johnson

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@dimesmakedollars: That just the way pro-sports is. The coach is always looking to bring in better players and we, the raving lunatics of the internet, like it because then we can comment to no end about where such-and-such player would be best suited.

@godpere: Yeah. The times he's been on the field, he worked hard.

Even with all the travel and training they have to do, I hope Tommy gives them a day off, or takes them to Six Flags, the Aquarium, or even the MoCo fair. They need a diversion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 20, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Just realized that the last time DCU won was the last time I wore my Pontius jersey. I aim to correct that mistake this weekend. :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | August 20, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ok. So if Janicki is struggling (and dude has been really woeful)--if Soehn continues to play him instead of trying to find an alternative--at what point does Soehn have to carry the blame of Janicki going through a really bad run???

Seriously, I love the USL. I love the USL2. But if the Dude came from the Kevin Payne Pittsburgh Riverhounds' pipeline with Boyzzz and he is struggling right now--even if he had some surprisingly good play last year--is this supposed to be a HUGE FREAKING SHOCK?!?!? You can argue that he overachieved last year.

So, how do Payne and Soehn not have another viable option to go to.

At what point does Soehn look like a JERK and less like a motivator by calling out a guy that he is playing that when he is the manager and he has got other dude's to play.

Seriously, I recenly had a friend cut from another MLS club for a less shocking run. Dude made some mistakes and he was out of favor and now he is back in the USL1.

Sometimes you just have to make a move. A personnel move. If Janicki is such a liablity and you don't have faith that he can turn it around then just bench him release him before next Friday so that he can try to look for another opportunity before the USL1 roster freeze next Friday.

And please, I really don't want to hear complaints about salary cap limitations, etc. Soehn's job is to manage the personnel that he's got and they maybe overinvested the faith in Janicki.

I am pulling for the guy. I hope that he turns it around. I think we want to see him succeed but I don't like the way that Soehn is piling on.

Bench him or release him but I don't think very much of Soehn's way of callling him out. Janicki is not Moreno or Emilio. Calling out a star who gets star pay is a bit different than calling out Janicki. I view it very differently.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 20, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The last time DCU won? Wasn't that when everything was blooming? It seems like an eternity.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 20, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I like to see the team's passion, as reflected by Pontius' comments. I disagree with him about the Marathon game and agree fully with Soehn - the poor result is attributable to one player.

The other guys played pretty well. Heck, McTavish almost had a diving header for a game-changing goal.

Szetela's a fool to waste his opportunity with DC United. He does remind me of Mathis, come to think of it. I thought it wasn't right that he spent so much time (4-5 days?) in New Jersey for a family wedding. During the season? What a fool.

Posted by: billindmd | August 20, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

25 yd goal for Deuce.

Posted by: Reignking | August 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I never really picked up on where Dempsey got that nickname....can anyone fill me in?

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy: Agreed! What is Janicki, a $35k a year player? Throwing him under the bus accomplishes what? What about a coach using the old saw "We win as a team, lose as a team?"

I have not seen the video of Soehn making these quotes, but they sure don't convey well on the written page.

I've been reluctant to call for Soehn's exit, but another late season collapse and it will be obvious that another major overhaul of the team and management is in order.

Posted by: Mixter | August 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I like Soehn and I like Janicki, but it is a shame that Soehn gets away with comments like those without someone asking a simple follow up question: if Janicki had such a horrible game, why did he play the full 90?

Posted by: CPAddick | August 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't fathom people describing Soehn's comments as "throwing Janicki under a bus." That just seems completely nonsensical to me.

Speaking only for myself, I'd feel insulted if Soehn acted as if we hadn't seen what we all saw with our own eyes.

Soehn's mistake wasn't in "throwing Janicki under a bus." It was in relying upon Janicki to cover central defense against a fast team when he's had the kind of season he's had even before Tuesday's match. It was in hanging onto him up to this point in the first place.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 20, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I just don't understand how people think that poor defending has anything to do with managerial incompetence. With the exception of Namoff and Jakovic - we have bad defenders. And bad defenders = bad defense. I don't think too much tactical nuance is needed here.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

It's not too late to bench or transfer Ljungberg out of your fantasy team. Doesn't seem that he'll be playing tonight or on Sunday.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 20, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Soehn's comment about the teaming doing a pretty good job hasn't been talked more about. Really, he thinks that we were pretty good? Janicki was the only problem out there, he really thinks this? It does not bode well when he thinks that performance was pretty good.

Posted by: owendylan | August 20, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Attendance on Saturday might be interesting, given the Redskins-Pittsburgh pre-season game that's scheduled to start at 7:30 (same time as DCU-GAL).
-------------

Hey Goff - whats the expected attendance for the Galaxy game?

Posted by: erichfeige | August 20, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | August 20, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@Christopher: I don't think those of us who object to Seohn's handling of the situation are in denial about Janicki's play going to hell in a handbasket.

Soehn should have made the move before. Maybe Janicki will find his form again. Or maybe it's been overdue to bench him or release him.

If ben Olsen calls out Soehn for continuing to use Janicki, I wouldn't think too much of it. Or if he calls our Janicki by name.

But Soehn's statement of the painfully ovbous when he handles the lineup looks like trying to distance himself from a part of the failure that he owns at least as much as Janicki.

He is the head coach. He keeps putting the player in the lineup.

I usually don't have a go at Soehn but for some reason, this really ticked me off. Put in someone else. Personnel management.

No one expects Soehn to run on the field and defend but I expect Soehn to realize that it is time to send a defender to the bench or possibly time to move on.

Soehn need to look in a mirror. Unless Payne or someone forced him to play Janicki then he has no excuse. The Dude's head is not right. Janicki's confidence looks shot. Soehn should have not continued to put that player in that position. There is "faith" and there is "denial".

Why doesn't Soehn take some of the freaking blame publicly.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | August 20, 2009 4:45 PM

Redskins kick-off set for 7:30, United at 7:30 and the Nationals at 7:05. Have fun on the Metro folks!

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The Houston Dynamo have signed Mexican forward Luis Angel Landín as the club's first designated player.

The hill gets steeper for DCU.

Posted by: KireDCU | August 20, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Janicki threw himself under the bus, started the bus, put it in D, ran over himself, put it in R, drove over himself, put it in D, ran over himself again, then spit on the corpse.
How in the Heck is Soehn at fault for throwing that guy under the bus?
Please, get past your Soehn bias and see that Janicki does not belong at this level. Just like Burch can't play at the La Liga Primera level. It is what it is.

Posted by: marksman37 | August 20, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 20, 2009 4:16 PM

It's his rap-star alias

Posted by: sec133row5 | August 20, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

While we fiddle, the smart clubs in the league (Houston the prime example)carefully move forward, always adding young talent to compliment their experienced players. We would do well to emulate them.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | August 20, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Damn, the natives are restless today! SI almost sounds like BS (aka-Big Soccer) today.

No one's happy with the team's performance of late but jeez and we're all nervous about the upcoming stretch of games but jeez.

Thanks for the sane voice, Chest.

Posted by: KireDCU | August 20, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with yankiboy.

What Soehn did was crap...whatever happened to win as a team...lose as a team?

EVERYBODY knows that Janicki was terrible...but to blame the loss 100% on a young player...when I didn't see the other 10 do anything amazing...is really stupid and amateur.

Did he call out McTavish for not scoring on a point blank header? Wicks for looking like an off balance clown on the 2nd goal? Simms for allowing himself to be pushed into the box early? Himself for starting a slumping, inexperienced centerback for an away match in a foreign country...oh and he surrounds the kid with 3 bench players?

Soehn is crap...he's now officially lost my support.

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | August 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@marksmen: If you don't get how a head coach has mishandled personnel decisions after the ways that I tried to explain it at that Janicki has looked incredibly in over his head then we just will have to agree to disagree.

I like Soehn. I guess I would call that a bias. Not the kind of bias that I think that you were intimating (I think that you were maybe talking about an "anti" sort of Soehn type of bias) but my liking him is a bias.

I hope that we can turn things around. Soon.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 20, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Yanki:
I agree Soehn should not have had the guy in there....or left him in there. However, Janicki made that mistake in the Marathon game. That is his own fault. Two different conversations I think.
The roster limitations may have precluded using other options, on the road, in the beginning of a long stretch. Maybe they were spotting them one game and looking to squeak thru with a tie hence the 4-man back line. A lot of things were abnormal the other night.
And I was saying that too many people are against Soehn - in that specific thrown under the bus conversation.
I'm long decided on Janicki and still wavering on Soehn.
Whatever........
Something needs to change though, and fast.

Posted by: marksman37 | August 20, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy:

There's a difference between "struggling right now" and Janicki's recent play. I agree with you on the idea that we should waive him for someone else, but what if DC has no one in the pipeline that can get here by the deadline? If your friend is the player I'm thinking of, his team had plenty of players at his position and needed to make room for another signing at a spot where they had little depth. In this case, DC finally has some depth in central defense; waiving Janicki and not filling that spot with a similar player leaves us short, as we had been for a long time.

I strongly disagree with the idea that a player's pay has anything to do with whether or not he should be publicly called out. They have nothing to do with each other. Maybe the bigger names will get more heat because they're more recognizable, but that in no way makes the senior minimum guys exempt.

CPAddick:

Taking out Janicki would have taken up one of our subs that, due to his mistakes, were needed on offense. It also would have left us with Habarugira (on his debut and, judging from the fact that he was brought off, short of fitness), James (in his first start after a cameo last weekend), and John (who has been erratic in his few appearances) on as defenders. With Jakovic left to rest here, pulling Janicki would have required a full formation change with 3 defenders that barely know each others' names. Sometimes there are better uses for subs, and on this occasion I think Soehn was in the right to focus them elsewhere.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 20, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CPAddick | August 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Excellent point, also why did he start Janicki considering he hasn't been performing well anyway, esp. with 2 new defenders. Classic Soehn, blame the players not the preparer. This team is on the verge of full on tail-spin mode.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 20, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The foregoing is exactly why Soehn should be blasted for throwing Janicki under a bus.

Who plays Janicki? Soehn. If the subsequent excuse/explanation is that Soehn has no other options at the back, then the next question is: Why did Janicki play the full 90? And, even more importantly, why did Emilio play the full 90?

Again, I like both Soehn and Janicki, but those willing to hang the Marathon debacle on Janicki are simply wrong.

Those who watched the game saw that Marathon targeted Greg (and, to a lesser extent, Avery) as the weak link on the back line. The forays towards United's goal intensified when Luciano proved incapable of holding possession up top.

United did not adjust and the team was embarrassed by an inferior side.

I no longer think it is hyperbolic for each and every United supporter to demand better from their side. And if the word of the day is accountability, then that hangs on Soehn.

Posted by: CPAddick | August 20, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

CPAddick:

________________________________________

I am sure that there is probably some support for your comments, however, from what I saw this is neither fair to Janicki nor an accurate representation of what took place in the match.

United got one half out of Moreno -- that sub was burned before the game started and was not contingent on Janicki's play.

That left two subs. One was used to remove Allen and bring on Wallace (who earned himself a high draft choice by proving that he is a competent overlapping left back at Ludwig last season). The final one was used to remove Habarugira and bring on Simms.

At minimum, we can all, I believe, fairly agree that after making those calls, you cannot later say that the player you left in made mistakes that shouldn't be seen at the professional level. If he was that bad, the answer to your comments is that each of the alternative scenarios was superior to leaving Greg in.

At base, I understand your comment to mean that coaching is difficult and requires difficult choices. Fair enough. That alone does not excuse poor choices followed by a washing of hands.

Posted by: CPAddick | August 20, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 20, 2009 4:16 PM

It's his rap-star alias

Posted by: sec133row5 | August 20, 2009 5:10 PM |

------------------------

Also, that comes from his original preferred number, 2. Look at his time in New England.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 20, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Guess I'll be forced to down good food and beer at the SE Tailgate... :-)
----------------

Posted by: Kev29 | August 20, 2009 4:53 PM

Posted by: Juan-John | August 20, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited | August 20, 2009 2:12 PM

I always thought he was heading to a Jimmy Buffet concert after the game and hence why he had those types of shirts on.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 20, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Hmm ... if we had kept Anthony Peters, he could have played in the back with James and John.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | August 20, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

With that said, it's nice to see more and more people getting on the Tommy-must-go train. All aboard. There's plenty of room.

I've been in the meal-car for a good 1.5 years or so. The beers cold and the foods good.

The coach, ah, not so much of either.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 20, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@owendylan

the team was pretty good outside of Janicki. in particular, i thought Habarugira, Jacobson and Emilio showed well. the rest of the defense was pretty good. Quaranta brought some life with him in the 2nd half. if McTavish's header goes in, i think DCU wins. if Janicki doesn't whiff on that ball, DCU has a very good chance of at least tying. if both came true, it could have been a DCU romp.

@Ruthie1

you mean by bringing in players like Jakovic, Pontius, Wallace, Jacobson, Szetela, Kocic, Habarugira, etc.? DCU has brought in plenty of young players to complement their veterans. the problem is that the veterans have aged rapidly, gotten slower, lost effectiveness and been unable to play full games when they've been able to play at all. and the young guys haven't been up to carrying the whole team yet. if they can get decent replacements for Gomez and Emilio, i think they're a top 2 or 3 team next year. they're definitely in much better shape for the future than they were a year ago.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 20, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

@owendylan

@Ruthie1

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 20, 2009 6:35 PM
----------------------------

Um, did you see any of Habarugira's crosses?

I did like how he was able to push up into the attacking 1/3 alot but his finishing was horrible.

As for aging vets, who could see Emilio/Moreno/Gomez becoming slower than dirt? You don't need crystal ball to see that.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 20, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Who is Party Boy?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 20, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Party Boy originally was a "character" played by Chris Pontius of Jackass/Wild Boyz fame who would strip down to his make-bikini thong and dance to crummy techno music infront of strangers to make them feel uncomfortable.

Party Boy now is Chris Pontius of DCU, being that he shares the same name as previously mentioned Party Boy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 20, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

If DC loses this weekend (and it will be an upset if they don't), does that mean the theories expressed here about what's wrong with the team will become even more absurd?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 20, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 20, 2009 8:08 PM
--------------------------------

If they lose again it'll be because of the Curse of The Bambino and that goat that curses the Cubs.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 20, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Re: Habarugira's poor crosses

He's left-footed, and normally a LB. At least he didn't pull a Gros or Fred and always look for the cutback so he could use his dominant foot.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 20, 2009 8:08 PM
--------------------------------

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 20, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

If Bambino is also a nickname for Nelson. If only he had stayed......

Is the goat that curses DCU Mayor Fenty?

Posted by: croftonpost | August 21, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. While Janicki is truly awful as a general matter, and was some kind of special awful in the Marathon game, Soehn's tendency to hang players out by the ankles is another manifestation of how he's not the right coach for this club. Soehn may be competent (I actually don't think he is, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt), but our club, one of the league's flagship franchises, its greatest football team, needs someone who's willing to take the weight for the consequences of his own decisions (that said, who would've been in that spot, if not Janicki? McTavish?). Soehn's not a very good game manager, he's a dreadful personnel manager, and he sounds like he's an absolute jerk to work for.

Posted by: Landru | August 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse