DCU Player Search

D.C. United General Manager Dave Kasper has confirmed a report in the Harrisburg Patriot-News that Tiyi Shipalane, a right-side attacker for the third-division City Islanders, has begun training with the MLS club with plans to be added to the roster on loan after the USL2 season ends.

Shipalane, 23, "did very well against us in the U.S. Open Cup," Kasper said. "He takes on players and causes problems. He has pace, ability and he's good on the ball."

If a deal is worked out, the South African would probably join United full-time late this month or in early September. United has one roster opening, a senior slot, which it was planning to fill with Belgian-based defender David Habarugira. Those negotiations remain active, Kasper said, which means, if the club adds both Shipalane and Habarugira, it will have to trade or waive a current player. Forward Ange N'Silu, a senior roster player, has struggled in recent weeks. With the contract deadline having passed, however, N'Silu's earnings ($65,000 base) would remain on United's books the rest of the season.

Join me later for highlights from the DCU-Real Madrid news conference.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 8, 2009; 1:54 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: WPS Matchnight: Sky Blue-Freedom

Comments

Goff,

Did DC management not offer a non-guaranteed contract to any players (the 2 MLS allows after the July 1st deadline), i.e. the same that was done with Smith and Cooke? I can't believe that they would go into the transfer window content with what they had, and the non-guaranteed contracts would have at least given them some cap space.

Posted by: jason1551 | August 8, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we'll see any big additions to United til we have a deal for a stadium in place.

I can however see us trading/selling Emilio and trading/selling/outright releasing Fred.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 8, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Although this stuff is arcane, I'm betting United has the salary room. They were probably well under anyway, but Crayton's salary was probably equal to what they gave Szetela and what they expect to give Habarugira. Shipilane won't make much in 2 months with the team. Really wish I'd been healthy enough to get to the Soccerplex that night, but from the clips and the reviews I'm guessing he could really help the team. I wish they'd done this kinda move a year ago after Alonso looked so impressive in the USOC final. If Tiyi takes Ange's spot, it can't happen soon enough, as far as I'm concerned. Although they're good friends, I expect Shipilane will be pushing for Khumalo's spot next season. He seems a bit more polished.

Posted by: fischy | August 8, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Just what we need, a right sided attacker.

Well, at least he's young, maybe now we can ditch Fred and buy either a really good defender or a left winger with crosses and defense.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 8, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Straight swap of Shipalane for N'Silu sounds good to me.

Can anyone who was at the Soccerplex refresh my memory? Was Shipalane the guy who wore his shorts backwards? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone from Rochester...

Posted by: DCUMD | August 8, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

The picture of the Real Madrid players shows Higuain, CR9 and Kaka (left-to-right).

Posted by: Barracudas | August 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

A skilled, fast, winger on the right, would free Quaranta to work more with Gomez and Moreno in the middle. If he has even the slightest bit of defensive ability, he'd be preferential to Tino on the right.

-------------Wicks------------
Namoff--Jakovic--Janicki--Burch
Ship---Szetela--Simms---Wallace
---------Tino----Pontius

That's next season's starting lineup if Shipalane works out. Hopefully we'll sign a better CB and LB, but otherwise that's a solid, young, American, lineup.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 8, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

He was very entertaining to watch. if i remember correctly he was the one doing all the step overs, and giving us problems all night. he would make a pretty good addition to the team

Posted by: pino149 | August 8, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

is it just me or does anybody else wish we had Francis Doe? He's far better than N'Silu

Posted by: DCU11 | August 8, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Any live tv for United Madrid press conference? Or is every DC area media desperately trying to avoid?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 8, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD - if I'm not mistaken, he was the guy with his shorts on backward that we goofed on all game long.

Sounds like we may need to issue a mea culpa :)

Posted by: gocaps2 | August 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned the other day but I just see this today so if in case anyone missed this

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 8, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse