DiCicco Suspended One Game

After a 1-0 loss to the Washington Freedom at Maryland SoccerPlex on Wednesday night, Boston Breakers Coach Tony DiCicco let loose with his frustrations regarding referee Jose Carlos Rivero -- who red-carded defender Alex Scott.

"He's over his head. Most of the referees in this league have been over their heads," DiCicco said. "And they can look the part and play the part but that is just a very, very difficult call in that stage in the game. ... Not only did he change this game, we have to play two days from now in St. Louis, and he's reshaped the whole playoff picture. I just feel for my team because they played their hearts out. And they deserved better, they deserved a better center official."

Those comments earned DiCicco a one-game suspension, $1,000 fine and six hours of community service. DiCicco was also fined earlier this year for criticizing officials. DiCicco's comments regarding the suspension and a video of the foul -- I called the red card harsh in my game story, I stand corrected (as does DiCicco) -- after the jump.....

Here is DiCicco's statement regarding the suspension:

"In response to my game suspension, first of all, I want to apologize to the referee community, my Breakers players, the team owners and staff, the Breakers fans and all fans of WPS. My comments following the match vs. Washington were wrong. After review of the incident, the center referee, Jose Rivero, was justified issuing the red card and my comments about the quality of the refereeing in our league were made with the emotions of a difficult game having just finished. These comments do not truly reflect my feelings. I think overall the refereeing in WPS has been good and continues to get better and I applaud the commitment of the U.S. Soccer referee community. I have tremendous respect for referees and the difficult task they have with making split-second decisions and how often they do, in fact, get it right. Sometimes my emotion and passion gets the better of me and this is an example of that. I love the game of soccer and I love coaching and, specifically, coaching the Breakers. The referees are part of the game and I would not want to do anything to diminish their contributions or our great game."

Here's video of the foul.....judge for yourself:

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 1, 2009; 8:01 AM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Saturday Kickaround
Next: Matchnight #20: United-Dynamo

Comments

IMHO, straight red. No brainer. Studs high and swept by trailing leg. Foul brought on by losing control of ball and trying to make sure opposing player didn't gain control. lucky the leg wasn't broken.

Posted by: RRP1 | August 1, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

In other Freedom news, their W-League team plays the Ottawa Fury at the Soccerplex at 6 pm today for a spot in the championship game. (You may think this team isn't much compared to the WPS team, but their roster includes Christine Nairn, who scored the game-winning goal for the full national team in the Canada match a couple of weeks ago.)

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 1, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Tony DiCicco is wrong on this one - great coach - but wrong. His player went in studs up high in the let with the intent of hurting the other player...instant red card.

Tony should become a ref and do some games as part of his fine!

was I first??

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | August 1, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why there was any objection to this being a red card. Referee was right there and got the call absolutely right.

Posted by: asocrlovr | August 1, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

6 hours of community service is more exciting than watching a WPS game.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | August 1, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

As a Breakers fan and season ticket holder, I appreciate Coach DiCicco's passion. However, in this instance, Tony did the right thing to admit he was wrong and apologize. The referee did the right thing to issue a red card to Alex Scott. Freedom fans know better than any in WPS just how damaging danergous plays can be for the players and the league.

Posted by: Brokenbil | August 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

was I first??
Posted by: bobfairchild1
---------------

No. We discussed this at the time it happened.

Are you the Bob Fairchild I know who is (was) in Cleveland?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Slide is past the ball. Cleats directly on the ankle. Trailing leg takes out both feet with studs showing. Good call.

Tony's wrath should be directed his player for altering the playoff picture, not the Official.

Posted by: carnack | August 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

6 hours of community service is more exciting than watching a WPS game.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | August 1, 2009 10:37 AM |

LOL. But until DCU steps it up and stops embarrassing their fanbase, I don't think anyone should be throwing stones around these glass houses.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 1, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

That's a red card in any league in the world. Studs up, directly on the ankle, a sweep with the trailing leg. That wasn't a harsh red by any means.

Posted by: mmathai1 | August 1, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Jason Kreis and Tony DiCicco. American soccer has an anger management issue and it's not with the parents.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 1, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

That post just TICKS ME OFF, I-270!

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up, kevinwparker. I may have a valid excuse to get out of a prior engagement now.

Posted by: sitruc | August 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

It is too bad that the W-League is going up against the WPS match, which I'm planning to follow over the Internet in some fashion, even if it is only a matchtracker.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

No matter how you feel, why not just wait for the video? If it supports your position, you will have plenty of opportunity to vent at that time. If it doesn't, you will have saved yourself considerable embarrassment, as DiCicco has learned the hard way.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I-270 coaches have anger management problems. DiCiccio's tirade could have been heard in any country so the problem isn't confined to the US. Other coaches may have a little more politically correct way of calling a ref an idiot. At least he had the sense to review the play and admit he was wrong, something you wouldn't hear SAF or Mourinho admit to.

Posted by: owendylan | August 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

OWENDYLAN!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU TOOK ME SERIOUSLY!!!! HAVEN'T YOU READ ANYTHING I'VE POSTED HERE?!!! YOU'RE IN OVER YOUR HEAD!!!!!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 2, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 2, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Freedom personnel move:

Posted by: universityandpark | August 2, 2009 9:38 AM

=========

Still waiting for an official announcement, though people at Saturday's match said there was a new goalkeeper on the bench.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 2, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse