Donovan, Flu Update

The U.S. Soccer Federation has issued a statement regarding Landon Donovan contracting the swine flu virus:

"As a precaution, all members of the U.S. team delegation who came in close contact with Donovan have been advised to take a course of Tamiflu, which consists of 75 mgs a day for 10 days. According to CDC guidelines, it is not necessary for members of the team delegation to be quarantined if they do not have any symptoms of the virus."

Said David Wallis, a member of the USSF medical staff: "Individuals who did not experience close contact with the player, such as journalists, fans or opposing players, do not need to take any preventative measures. As of now, no other member of the U.S. team delegation has indicated any symptoms associated with the virus."

Despite the illness, Donovan seems likely to play Saturday night against Seattle.

By Steve Goff  |  August 14, 2009; 5:14 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Makes Several Moves
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

And it's Goff by a nose over Wahl on Twitter.

Posted by: EssEff | August 14, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Reports in Honduras indicate Marvin Chavez (Marathon & Honduras) is joining FC Dallas.

Posted by: nico78 | August 14, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I had the people flu awhile back and I couldn't get out of bed let along play soccer...big rep to Donovan.

Posted by: PEddy | August 14, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Hannover isn't taking any chances - Cherundolo is being kept away from his teammates.

Posted by: emanon13 | August 14, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Here is hoping Donovan scores this weekend. The goal celebration should be hilarious.

Posted by: jmingus | August 14, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

anyone else considering masks on aug 22?

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 14, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

For those who didn't hear, he didn't get it in Mexico. Apparently, some of the Galaxy staff, including a chiropractor, were the cause.

Want to hear my "when pigs fly" joke?

Didn't think so.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 14, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Said David Wallis, a member of the USSF medical staff: "Individuals who did not experience close contact with the player, such as journalists, fans or opposing players, do not need to take any preventative measures."
-----------------------------------------------

What about Torrado? He had a good handful of Donovan -- on the play that led to the first Mexico goal. If he contracts the virus, does that goal get nullified?

Also, will Chavez be gone before Tuesday's DCU game? Every little bit helps, though I doubt United will make any serious attempts to penetrate Marathon's defense...

Posted by: fischy | August 14, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

nico78:

Chavez has been linked to MLS before, and the Honduran press seems to say every deal is done the moment a deal even becomes possible. Considering they just traded to get Atiba Harris to play Chavez's position, and the fact that they've been so happy with him since he arrived, leaves room for skepticism.

On the other hand, Chavez is clearly better than Harris, so if Dallas can make such a move, they should.. I hope it's a done deal, if only so DC faces a weaker Marathon in the CCL.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 14, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Arena would be foolish to play Donovan on Saturday. While he may have had a mild case of H1N1, he still played an intense mid week friendly at altitude. Combined, I send the kid to the bench.

And how does the doc define "close contact"?

Posted by: delantero | August 14, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

This is perfect. Let's all wear masks to the LA match! Oh my, this could be fantastic!

Posted by: Hoost | August 14, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Wearing masks to the game would be as classy as some of the fans Wahl encountered in Azteca.

Posted by: EssEff | August 14, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

According to Ives' blog, a last minute deal has been reached which will allow ESPN2 to show the Hull City EPL opener tomorrow morning at 740 am (I believe).

I don't even remember who Hull is playing but, by default, it should be a better team.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 14, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Hull (and hopefully Jozy!) will play Chelsea

Posted by: carmines757 | August 14, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

No masks for Donovan from me. The stinking Whine And Cheesy Sounders on the other hand? Sure. Probably help with the smoke bombs anyway. If it's anything like last years OC final...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 14, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Ives reported that the Fox/ESPN deal was finalized so you should be abe to check out Hull City vs. Chelsea tomorrow at 7:40 am on ESPN.

Posted by: addick | August 14, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Also wondering if DCU will sell a Champion's League home game package? running into dead ends on their website looking for tix. I'm sure they're trying to figure out how to sell two more tickets to it's season ticket holders?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 14, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

addick-I just saw on ESPNNews that the Hull City match with Chelsea is on ESPN2 not ESPN tomorrow morning.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 14, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Jozy is still in the U.S. sorting out some work permit issues, according to his twitter post. He won't be playing tonight.

JozyAltidore17
Bad news guys still in the states trying to sort things out with my work permit. There is a lil more work that has to be done. :(

about 1 hour ago from UberTwitter

Posted by: jamest1 | August 14, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Bad news for Jozy, but this will allow me to sleep in a little later. I can record the match now, with no urgency to watch. Or, I might take advantage of the moment to go buy some Powerball tickets. If I win, I promise to buy the team and build a stadium....

Posted by: fischy | August 14, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost | August 14, 2009 8:10 PM
__________________________________________

I wonder how the thousands of Americans who have suffered from H1N1 flu, or those who had loved ones who died from it, would react.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Uh, do you want a count of things that more people die from in the states every day: car accidents, heart disease, aids, old age. I imagine lightning and shark attacks are still probably above the H1N1 deaths.

Posted by: M__N | August 15, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

It is not about statistics. It is about treating an instance of any of the things you mention as a joke. If a member of a visting team had recently lost a loved one in a car accident, would you use it as the basis for a visual gag?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I will add that regardless of your or my or anyone else's personal sense of humor, neither United nor MLS needs the unfavorable publicity that would surely result from an ill-considered visual gag.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse