Europa Results, USL Rout

Americans in the Europa Cup today:
GK Tim Howard went 90 in Everton's 1-1 tie at Olomouc
(Everton advances on aggregate, 5-1)
GK Brad Guzan went 90 in Aston Villa's 2-1 win over Rapid Vienna
(Rapid advances on away goal after 2-2 aggregate)
F Eddie Johnson in 18, didn't play in Fulham's 1-0 loss at Amkar Perm
(Fulham advances on aggregate, 3-2; Dempsey not in 18)

Video from Carolina's 9-0 romp over Miami in a USL-1 match:

By Steve Goff  |  August 27, 2009; 7:15 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster Announced
Next: Hamid, United Agree

Comments

Meanwhile, DC United can't score.

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 27, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Lol that dive near the beginning was epic.

Posted by: PEddy | August 27, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching Houston play the ummm... United Arab Emirates?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of dives -- I had tremendous sympathy for Eduardo and was cheering his comeback from that horrific tackle and grotesque injury. He surrendered any claim to my affection with that shameless dive in the box against Celtic. He got his penalty, but he lost a lot of respect from around the world, I'm sure.

Posted by: fischy | August 27, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching Houston play the ummm... United Arab Emirates?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 27, 2009 8:15 PM
-----------------------------------------------------

I thought they were playing the United Arab Republic....

Posted by: fischy | August 27, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

1st goal by Carolina = worst celebration dance ever. Dancing like a 12 year old girl? Really? It makes DeRo’s mummy walk look respectable.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 27, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's United States of Arabia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 27, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve,

With DC United pushing hard to promote the Open Cup Final, have you gotten any preliminary report on ticket sales?

Posted by: DonDraper | August 27, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I think my son's u12 team could score on the guys wearing white. By goal #5 they were just watching...

Posted by: peridigm | August 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I am watching Houston in Panama. Why do the referees placate the Latin crowds? The Latin crowds hate Americans. Why do we have to go down there and get beat up. This one is a farce. Neither Houston player did anything close to being given the boot. Their player got closelined right in front of the ref and then fell to the ground writhing trying to look like he got closelined. Is it really worth it to do these tourneyments? I like a soccer game, not a farce. The officials placate the home team. The officials should get together and work on the officiating and what to do in hostile environments without penalizing the visiting team.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 27, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The Panamanian who did the closelining was the one who fell and tried to make it seem like he was the injured party. We get this all over, T&T, Mexico, Panama, Hondouras.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 27, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I've seen alot of questionable officiating before, but nothing ever coming this close as what I've just watched in the Dynamo game. I'm not a Houston fan, but they ought to be steaming mad. That ref was beyond clueless. I still don't know why Corey Ashe was sent off, and I'm pretty sure he still doesn't know why. Ugh.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 27, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where the ref is from? I heard he was from panama? if so how would that be fair?

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 27, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

@Norteno: I think dude was a Trini.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

When the president of MiamiFC says that they should all be embarrassed--Dude is 100% right. That result is an utter disgrace. Losing by 6--ok--maybe a bizarre fluke combined with a dreadful night. But 9?!?!?

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

@VirginiaFan: There is no alternative to international play except to say that you do not want to compete and in the case of the US, that ain't gonna fly...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

some ugly, ugly goals in that miami game.

Posted by: Matte | August 28, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: UniteforDC | August 28, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

That player for Miami with the dive should send his highlight tape to the Arsenal. He's great Gooners material.

I wait for the day for a player to score and lift up his jersey and have a shirt under that says "I belong to the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | August 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The USL game highlights prove that bad officiating affects the game's outcome. Miami had some good chances before the first Carolina goal. How the referee could allow that first goal to stand is unbelievable.

Posted by: Brokenbil | August 28, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse