Friday Kickaround

*There's real grass at BMO Field in Toronto for the Real Madrid friendly (7:30 p.m., ESPN) -- but only for one glorious night. Real trained there in front of 18,000 fans. No so luck for Washington fans as Saturday's session at FedEx Field is closed to the general public.

*Weather conditions at FedEx on Sunday aregoing to be brutal.

*If you haven't voted in the Insider's DCU-Real Madrid poll, time is running out.

*T&T's San Juan Jabloteh overcame a two-goal, first-leg loss to oust San Francisco of Panama, 3-2, and join United, Toluca and Marathon in the CONCACAF Champions League's group stage, which begins Aug. 18.

*Read the transcript from my live online chat.

*NCAA champion Maryland adds to its recruiting class ahead of preseason training.

*Stay with the Insider today for news and notes from RFK and the announcement of the USA roster for the Mexico trip. But first.....

*After having a penalty kick stopped, Jeff Cunningham scores his fifth goal in two games, a gem in the 20th minute of Dallas's 1-0 victory over Houston:

By Steve Goff  |  August 7, 2009; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , Poll , Q&A , Real Madrid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: D.C. United News and Notes

Comments

Anyone catch Payne on Fox 5?

Posted by: sitruc | August 7, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Bradley should call up Cunningham.

Posted by: beach3 | August 7, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Nope sitruc, what'd he say?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I'd imagine we're only a few summers away from Real Madrid and/or Barcelona not even playing exhibition matches against the local side; they'll just show up and train in front of thousands of paying customers around the country each August and everyone will go home happy (and it would be less disruptive to the MLS schedule).

Posted by: tab5g1 | August 7, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Why even train? Just introduce the players to a sold-out stadium, let everyone buy replicas, and the players can go home without risking injury?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 7, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Sooooo glad that September 15 away match will be at T&T as opposed to Panama - the flight times alone will save the lads at least half a day!

Posted by: yobigc | August 7, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

don't the Dallas supporters have friends?

why are they not bringing their friends to games??

so sad...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 7, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

T&T is just off the coast of South America -- not exactly around the block.

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 7, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

dadryan et al...

re: STH's and shirts

are free shirts (that cost $4.50 to make) a good subsitute for discounted tickets?

DCU FO are s**ting on their loyal fanbase, and a free shirt is an insult..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 7, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Two comments:

1. If no one was at that game, did the Cunningham goal really happen?

2. Can anyone think of anything worse than Canadian Eurosnobs?

Posted by: Hoost | August 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A third-grader could have told you that 3pm in August was not a good idea. Same reason I avoided the Beckham game when it was a noon kickoff. Also, I refuse to support anything related to Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@yobigc & the Goffer- Yeah, but on the plus side the boys can stay in a posh resort instead of this! http://www.costaricapages.com/panama/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hotel-facade2.jpg

Posted by: the_slammer | August 7, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Anyone notice the stickers that were on the latest copy of the City Paper? Had the open cup trophy and the date of the USOC on the front and a url on the back:

Posted by: rockotodd | August 7, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Sunday will be brutal indeed. Can't say I'm surprised to see mid-90s with high humidity, but ecch. Anybody know if there's a Guinness vendor to be found at FedEx? (and/or something for the swine like myself that can't bear the typical swill?)

Posted by: IntangibleArts | August 7, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Given the expected heat and humidity, United should wear white! Whose idea was it to have them wear black when the league plays in the middle of the summer?

Posted by: stwasm | August 7, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

yep rockotodd, where ya been? ;-)

bonghits, I even checked BS and couldn't find anyone griping about the t-shirt thing. Maybe Season Ticket holders don't post here, nor there.(right...)but it seems that you are the only person so far that has decided that the FO is "sh**ting" on their fanbase by doing this.

How many season ticket holders does DCU have these days anyway? I know a few, but again, I've yet to see anyone complaining about it except for you. The discount roughly equals a couple of crappy domestic beers at RFK, and a free shirt is being thrown in. If I was a season ticket holder I would consider it a small price to pay to attract a much larger crowd than came out last year for the final.

I'll thank the Season Ticket holders again. I did when I first heard the news. The big difference here is that my normal 1-2 friends maximum that I can normally get to come to a match on a weekend is looking more like 7-10 heads and we still have nearly a month to "sell" this one to our peeps! In other words, it's working!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Cunningham has reclaimed his rightful place as the one talented striker in a really crappy team.

Honestly, this guy is like Allen Iverson. He can only be great when the team around him is fundamentally flawed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 7, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I bet that Ronaldo and Kaka both get injured on Toronto's freshly laid grass and miss Sunday's game.

Posted by: TCompton | August 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan and the Freedomaires--Anybody going to the Freedom's W-League Final tonight against the Pali Blues?

You guys goig to the first team's match with "we can't keep a coach" FC (better known as Sky Blue--how dysfunctional are those pro NY/NJ teams???)

I can't make tonight's game but I am trying to get to tomorrow nights match.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 7, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Not a Ronaldo fan in the least. Wouldn't mind seeing his head snap off after a mild tackle in the first half. Much more interested in seeing Kaka perform.

But still, for a somewhat meaningless match, should be entertaining.

Posted by: IntangibleArts | August 7, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan, yeah I knew I should have looked through the discussion I missed yesterday before posting but alas I over-egged the pudding.

Posted by: rockotodd | August 7, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy: I'm planning to go to tomorrow's Freedom match too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 7, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I was actually asking because I missed it because of a meeting, DadRyan. I had seen the tweet from DC United and wondered if anybody caught it. In other news, Luci's second daughter entered the world weighing more than twice what I entered the world weighing(I was a preemie). Congratulations to him.

Thanks for the heads up on the W-League final.

Posted by: sitruc | August 7, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

18k to watch some people jog? Is Toronto that boring?

Posted by: Reignking | August 7, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Maryland's recruiting class is amazing, we are like the usc of soccer.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 7, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I had to re-post this from aonther thread:

@grubbsbl: They can call themselves a Super Club when they actually win a trophy.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 1:29 PM

Sounders fans will be happy to tell you how they've won plenty of NW Sasquatch Cups over the Timbers and USL Championships over the Albuquerque Green Chile Nachos.

@Dad, I lived in Albuq for about 11 years. Believe it or not there really was a team called the Nex Mexico Chiles that played in ABQ. They actually made it to the Finals of the US Open cup and lost to some team from Texas in the 90s. They were pretty good for the level they were at. A few players went to MLS when it started in 1996.

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 7, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I hear the Freedom is being creative on how to get fans to the W-league final tonight. They are having the Season Ticket Holder Meet and Greet an hour before the game and STH get free entry into the Final. I heard the players will stay for most (if not all) of the game as well. They won't make a lot of money that way, but I doubt they have made much on the W-league team this year anyways. It is a smart way to get people in the seats for a televised final - even if they only have 700+ STH.

@yankiboy - I will not be at the W-league final tonight, but will be at the game tomorrow. I won tickets to Real / DC game and figured three nights of soccer in a row might be a little too much even for me. I will be enjoying the W-league final on TV though

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I've never been a fan of Cunningham's antics, but you gotta respect his perseverence. He scores goals where ever he goes.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | August 7, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

At this rate, Cunningham could catch Jaime this year.

Also -- did anyone know they play futbol in the DR?

Posted by: fischy | August 7, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm
=================

Seemed like a good idea before that global warming thing. OTOH, the high-tech fabrics have built-in air conditioners dehumidifiers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 7, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

So is it Jah-blo-teh or Yah-blo-teh? I think is answer is "whichever one Bretos does not say."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 7, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hardly an accurate comparison since they're replicas and not authentics, but my Black 04/05 jersey breathes better than my white one.

My favorite is the new Aussie-Rules looking training jersey. Slap some numbers on the back of that and wear it for hot matches.

It'd also make it more difficult for opposing players to grab the jersey.

That's why I always wear the smallest jersey's that will fit when I'm playing soccer or rugby competitively, less excess material for players to latch on to.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 7, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

As you can see there, these jerseys are designed to breathe very well, and having played football in similar ones, they tend to work.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 7, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Not going to the Freedom match, although I'd like to. Have a b-day party to attend, it's too bad the game won't be on the tube, as it would be a great thing to have on in the basement aka bongmines liberia...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I suspect the boys in the end zone in Toronto will give our pal Cristiano Ronaldo a lot of abuse tonight :)

Posted by: targetmedia | August 7, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The end zone?
I suspect C. Ronaldo and crew abuse the score line in Toronto tonight. The real question is: Will Toronto give us their full 90?

;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Toronto fans that is... oops..;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 7, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

270:

That's a trick question. Bretos go back and forth between the two.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 7, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse