Friday Kickaround

*The rich get richer: Houston adds its first designated player, Mexican forward Luis Angel Landin, on loan through the 2010 season from Cruz Azul. He is just 24 years old.

*Read a D.C. United story.

*Who needs Steve Nicol and Paul Mariner when you have Gwynne Williams? With head coach Nicol serving the second game of a two-game suspension and top assistant Mariner ejected just before halftime, New England's goalkeepers coach oversaw the club's second half effort that resulted in a 1-0 victory at Seattle. Sounders forward Fredy Montero hit the crossbar with a first-half penalty kick and later received a yellow card that put him over the league limit and left him suspended for Sunday's match at Houston.

Attendance on a Thursday night: 32,705.

Shalrie Joseph's goal, just the fifth in a first half this season by the Revs:

By Steve Goff  |  August 21, 2009; 10:06 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: USA Coaching Salaries

Comments

Seeing Mariner get sent off for getting on the ref and seeing the goalkeeping coach take over was a first for me.

Seein Nichols do his "obscene" gesture after the final whistle to another guy in a luxury box after he hugged Mariner was another first for me. Never saw a coach already suspended get caught on camera gesturing to someone else, let alone some guy who was probably a VIP type guy.

Oh, and lest I forget--that penalty call by you know who was a traveshamockery.

Montero should have been ashmmed of himself for the acting job on that one and for missing the penalty. I lost some respect for that dude last night.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 21, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised how easy it has become for me to dislike the Sounders . . . . looking forward to 9/2

Posted by: OWNTF | August 21, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the lower bowl is basically sold out for Saturday, except a few remaining corner seats. Anything at the $30 price level or above is being filled with uppers on Ticketmaster...

Posted by: the_slammer | August 21, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

On the DC United website, the FSC 4-Pack is filling premium seats in the 400 level. I was able to find cheaper priced seats in the lower bowl via Ticketsham.

Posted by: sitruc | August 21, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

seattle continues to impress with those #s.
also, having your DP be a guy on loan is a very interesting concept. (esp when that person is in their prime years) something that's perhaps worth looking into further by other teams.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 21, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Goff, any idea on the attendance number for this Saturday. From some of the other posts looks like we're going to be at least 25,000.

Posted by: lawrenceterp | August 21, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Fill the bowl! The lower bowl, that is. Of RFK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 21, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Love or hate the Sounders, that city is supporting its team. Great stuff.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 21, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Why wasn't Montero's kick re-taken, as there was encroachment by four Revolution players prior to the kick?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Sounders. The auto-fellatio from their fans makes TFC fans look like they were just patting themselves on the back in comparison...

Posted by: alecw81 | August 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Last nights game showed me 2 teams that looked quicker and hungrier than our own squad.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 21, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, from the pointythrowball world, with a futbol angle:

Chad Ochocinco (Johnson) kicks winning XP for Bengals over the other New England football club. News stories quote Ochocinco, "I've always said that soccer is my No. 1 sport. I think Ronaldinho would be proud of me right now."

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KVbMGtMXQ

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the Dynamo are showing how it should be done. Instead of wasting your DP on a celebrity who has no real team commitment or a washed up player like Emilio, use your DP on a player just entering his prime who, I dunno know, can help you win matches.

I hope other MLS teams follow the Dynamo lead.

Posted by: jofij | August 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I hate that the penalty kicks are retaken for encroachment, christopher_a_metzler. I don't feel like finding and watching a replay, but I recall quite a few Sounders well in the box and not the other way around. From memory a Rev and a Sounder marking each other crossed the line at about the same time while one Sounder timed a run horribly and actually ran in front of the ref before the kick was taken. He was nearly next to Montero. Because of that, I was glad it wasn't retaken. Montero is 0 for 2 from the spot.

Posted by: sitruc | August 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"On the DC United website, the FSC 4-Pack is filling premium seats in the 400 level."
------------------------------------

I don't know about any of you but I love section 400..watched the US -Honduras game from up there and they are great seats.

Posted by: DCB23 | August 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

jofij,

weird question, but were you ever in something called a "citizen bee"?

Posted by: benonthehill | August 21, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The upper deck is better for CONCACAF matches (from a safety standpoint) because you don't get hit with cups and bottles from the "visiting" fans.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 21, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't surprised he missed the PK at all. Did you see the apprehension on his face before the kick? Must be some history there.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

c_a_metzler:

I'd say about 3/4 of the players on the field at the time were in the box before the ball was struck. Someone from Seattle (Zakuani?) was virtually level with the penalty spot. I don't know if I've ever seen that much encroachment before.

Poopy_McPoop:

It also showed me two teams that only occasionally were interested in playing soccer. The game was full of poor touches and mental errors. Fascinating, definitely, but that was not good soccer from either team (aside from the Revs' goal). That's how we'll have to beat them: with possession, technique, and creativity. Really, that's how it's always been. We have too many old players to win track meets.

jofij:

You're anointing Landin as some kind of brilliant signing pretty quickly, aren't you? Let the guy play before you say the Dynamo do every single thing right.

sitruc:

Your memory is not misleading you. There were a comical number of players in the box before Montero struck the ball. Letting all of that cancel itself out and not ordering a retake might have been the only sensible thing Toledo did last night.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 21, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

And let that be a lesson to you, P McP and jofij!!

Posted by: fallschurch1 | August 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow is going to be a nightmare for Metro and traffic in general on the east side of town. The Redskins, the Nationals, and United are all playing simultaneously. I'm glad I'm arriving at RFK early to tailgate. It won't be pretty.

Posted by: blackandred777 | August 21, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 21, 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks for that advice... AFTER the 2000 Guatemala match! Does little good to my nacho cheese covered shoes. :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 21, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I have tickets to both the Redskins game and Uniteds game. Not much of a choice though. Who cares about preseason. I'm also arriving early to tailgate.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 21, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blackandred777 | August 21, 2009 1:59 PM

And there's going to be the usual work on the Red Line + work on the Blue/Orange till 5pm. Yep - it's going to be a mess. Guessing that they'll have to get about 110,000 people to the three stadiums and back. I'm driving to RFK too - winding my way through NE and SE - hopefully off the beaten path.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 21, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

and we may in for some rain...

Posted by: Pedalada | August 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Hrm. My memory was that it was NE players in; but I could certainly be wrong about that. If Seattle players were in as well, then not calling for a retake was correct.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

So I checked the MLS highlights and it looked like everyone from both teams, and Drew Carey, was in the box when the ball was struck.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that Shalrie Joseph is one uuuuugly chick.
I wonder if she has been gender checked??

Posted by: marksman37 | August 22, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse