Hamid, United Agree

The Insider has learned that Abdul "Bill" Hamid, the 18-year-old goalkeeper from D.C. United's youth academy, agreed to terms with the MLS club today. A few adjustments were made to the original offer from the league and should be finalized in the coming days, a source close to the negotiations said. Hamid "is really excited about getting started in his home town," one contact close to the player said.

Hamid, who is from Annandale, Va., and is in the USA under-20 player pool, turned pro when he signed with Long View Management.

By Steve Goff  |  August 27, 2009; 10:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Europa Results, USL Rout
Next: Weekend TV Listings

Comments

Very good prospect from what I have seen on television. Possibly will be a tad raw but I think he has all the potential to develop into another top class US international goalie. Damn, the US is good a developing goalies. I also am happy that he signed because I imagine he will eventually move to Europe and the league/DC can make a profit of a player like him. (Something the MLS needs to be doing more of.)

Also, I hope DC's youth system keeps developing some of the midfield players it had in that team. Some could turn into future professional players if they keep developing at their current learning curve.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 27, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff:
I know its been asked a bagillion times, but do you have any idea where tickets sales are for the USOC Final?

We understand your busy, I am just curious. Thanks though.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 27, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl,

I suspect you're right that the team's goal would be to groom him, maybe have him start for us for a year or so, and then move him off for well into seven figures. That would be the kind of thing that justifies development expenditure on these kids. Developing a "pretty decent MLS player" doesn't pay the bills for the program.

Posted by: stancollins | August 27, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Last I heard, ticket sales for Open Cup had surpassed 10,000. Maybe they reach 15,000 by gametime?

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 27, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...10,000 is not very many.

Posted by: perrii | August 27, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I just bought 7...convinced some people from work who have never been to a game to come.

Posted by: perrii | August 27, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

That's just sad. With all that campaign went on thus far and still continues with rich owners to tv pandits I don't understand the people in this town.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 27, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Hamid might be considered for a Generation Adidas contract?

Posted by: DCUMD | August 27, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I am planning on going to the USOC final with 5-10 people. Is there anyway to get tickets without the large processing fee that Ticketmaster chargers per ticket?

Posted by: Dancy1 | August 27, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Seriously. I wonder if that's an impediment to a lot of people - if you order on Ticketmaster, there is an ~$8.00 fee for a $12 ticket. Absolutely positively ridiculous.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | August 27, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 27, 2009 10:48 PM |
---------------------------

Consider the audience. Domestic cups are an English import, and have almost no tradition in either the US or Latin America.

Posted by: stancollins | August 27, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I've always called the DCU ticket office directly. Good way to develop contacts, and no service charges.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | August 27, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope im able to go. If I do go im going with 3-5 other people.

Posted by: spikeman | August 27, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

@DCUnitedFootball, for all the complaining you do, I'd actually like to know if you've made any progress in getting any other folks out there to come to this game. Now if you're a shut in, or miserly curmudgeon and never talk to anybody but us sad souls on the internet, I'll empathize, but come on man! The Club can only do so much, part of this crap is on our shoulders as well. What I want to hear is more of the same form folks saying that if they can make it happen they'll be poppin' some cherries while their at it!

You don't like the numbers? Buy ten tickets and invite all your co-workers. Tell em' about the $2 beers and hotdogs and I'm sure they'll come along.

Gosh Darn United better effin' win though or we're all going to look like idiots.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 27, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Darn I need to preview more. Hope you get this idea.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 27, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

15k on a weeknight for a nonleague game would be a very good figure, in my opinion, and proof that the marketing did work. Don't buy into Seattle's new math.

Here's how I view Seattle - no one denies they have great fan support. Good on them, the city has obviously gone soccer crazy and they have indeed set a high water mark for MLS support in their first year. Other cities have other circumstances and other rubrics for what's considered success that aren't necessarily the same as Seattle's. It's for this reason that "attendance smack" is utterly ridiculous.

I for one am glad that the team decided to market the game in the way they did.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 27, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Not to mention the entire reason that Seattle fans started this whole "attendance smack" campaign is because they're angry they didn't get what they want. We got it (the home match), so let them pour out their frustrations over being "robbed" of their birthright and we'll let the teams do the talking on Wednesday.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 28, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I was just on ticketmaster and the only seats i could find for 4 people is on the mezanine level. Either that means the lower bowl is sold out or that ticketmaster isnt good

Posted by: spikeman | August 28, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | August 28, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Call the ticket office below:

D.C. United
2400 East Capitol Street, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
Tel: 202.587.5000

Posted by: marksman37 | August 28, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

"If I'm still good at counting heads, someone's will have to roll. Hamid's signing will push DCU over the roster limit. Any inside info on who will be the first out the door? There will be other moves needed later on, as injured players return...."

I heard that N`silu is the one booted off the roster...

Posted by: Samuraise | August 28, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Awesome! Very excited the academy is starting to produce. Here's hoping Hamid is the first of many from the academy..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | August 28, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Hamid's signing is an encouraging signal, indeed, not only for the club, but for player development in the US in general. Now, if we can just develop a creative midfielder and a striker or two... :)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | August 28, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

If Hamid is smart he'll run as far from DC United as possible.

Tommy Soehn is destroying this team in a way that would make Thomas Rongen proud. Where in the world can you go winless in 2 1/2 months and still keep your job? It's not like they've lost fluky games. They've looked awful. Their young players have digressed, their stars look unmotivated, they've got poor finishing, and Josh Wicks is the worst goalkeeper in club history. HE reminds me of the old Man U "star" Massimo Taibi

Posted by: doctortechie | August 28, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

spikeman, ticketmaster is a waste of money and a rip off. Using that measure to figure out if there are tickets left is no good. As others pointed out, contacting DCU directly is the way to go, but the longer you wait the less likely they'll be able to mail your tix in time to get to you. I think that they will be forced to charge you a processing charge if you want to print your tix on line, not sure If they'll charge you one for picking up tix at will-call.

I'm anticipating a healthy walk up on this one. I for one almost always buy my tickets at the gate on the way in. Never had a problem sitting generally anywhere I want. I'm not sure exactly how many people I'm going to meet up with yet, so I'm just waiting till we all get there.

Sounders fans are already going to be relegated to the upper deck. You should be able to sit where you want.

BTW the Soundorks are apparently not going to be doing their cowards tailgate in lot 3. They'll be at RFD in Chinablock on Wednesday til 6, and then they are "marching" to metro center. It would be funny to somehow get them on the wrong train...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 28, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

doctortechie, this must be your first year following United, because there is no way that Josh Wicks is our worst goalkeeper ever.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 28, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spidergoose | August 28, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------------

Indeed, one only needs to look to last year (initials ZW) for some of the worst goalkeeping ever...

Posted by: combedge | August 28, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

This guy sounds like he is built like a tight end.

Is he bald? Balding?

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan - That's a hilarious idea. Seattlites are like lemmings. I bet all you'd have to do is show up in a green scarf and they'd be more than happy to follow you onto a red line train to Shady Grove ;)

Posted by: DCUMD | August 28, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@DCUMD That might not be appropriate.....

I'm bringing 6 friends with me and drving 1 1/2 hours to get there! Thursday morning is going to be rough!

Posted by: boda-united | August 28, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I heard that N`silu is the one booted off the roster...

Posted by: Samuraise | August 28, 2009 2:03 AM |

----------------------------------------------------

There is very little chance that N'Silu will be restored to the roster when he's healthy. However, he's on the injured list now -- he doesn't count against the 24-man limit. With Shipilane, DCU has 24 active players. When Hamid signs, they're at 25 -- someone has to be let go.

Posted by: fischy | August 28, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Candidates -

-Janicki
-Allen
-DiRaimondo

Posted by: the_slammer | August 28, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

15k is not perfect, but that is close to double what we had in last years final. Now if we get a healthy walk up crowd of 18-20k that would not be to bad. Correct me if Im wrong but if we get 19,200 that would be the highest attended match in open cup history. seattle can say oh we could get 30k yadayada, but on a tuesday afternoon kick off i would highly doubt that.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 28, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Candidates -

-Janicki
-Allen
-DiRaimondo

Posted by: the_slammer | August 28, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Can it be D, all of the above?

Posted by: VTUnited | August 28, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Nah, all of the above still isn't a fair trade for a high school goalie...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 28, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

For this game, I put in the effort and found nine people who wouldn't otherwise have gone. Called the DCU ticket folks yesterday and got 10 tickets at midfield, 300 level for $22 each. No charge for the will-call pickup. Eff Ticketmaster.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@Norteno4life: 19.2 K would be a record for a USOC Final (at least in the MLS era), but the overall record (MLS era) is 20K+ for a 3rd round match at Colorado. Not sure, but given the date of that match (July 13), I expect there was some sort of tie-in with tickets to the Rapids' July 4th fireworks display/soccer game.

Posted by: EdTheRed | August 28, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Eff Ticketmaster.
Posted by: edgeonyou
=========

Is that you Eddie Vedder?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard Abdul, good luck.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 28, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@ Dad & DCUMD

How's about changing the signs. It worked against the nazis on old WWII movies: 'The Train' w/Bert Lancaster and 'Von Ryan's Express' w/Frank Sanatra.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 28, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Candidates -

-Janicki
-Allen
-DiRaimondo
-burch!!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | August 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9
=================

A good idea, but it assumes literacy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 28, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

illiterate nazis?
Ha,Ha,ha.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

illiterate nazis?
Ha,Ha,ha.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm bringing about 20 people who have never been to a United match (plus 4 who have). $18/ticket in the 200s on the loud side.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | August 28, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm driving up 4 hours from NC for the final not a fun drive but well worth watching United win some silverware. That means they better win some silverware haha.

Posted by: MOCker | August 28, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

illiterate nazis?
Ha,Ha,ha.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Illinois Nazis?

"I hate Illinois Nazis." -- Joliet Jake Blues

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 28, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Shevchenko wants out of Chelsea...would he be too expensive for our DP spot next season? I really think if we had a deadly finisher, it would make the team completely different.

Posted by: ajaxdude | August 28, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh the chance to work with Soehn - what other riches could Mr Schevchenko need?

Posted by: marksman37 | August 28, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I'm back in CH for the rest of the season, or I'd be rustlin' up some newbies for the game. I have a good friend who has gone to some United games with me before who's an RA at AU and I've been trying to convince him to make it a residence event...get some other RAs to join in and it could easily bring 100+. He just doesn't seem very enthused about it right now, which is disappointing.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 29, 2009 4:25 AM | Report abuse