Olsen Speaks

"It's been a long month, month and a half, whatever is has been. We've made it even longer on ourself because of the results we've had. We are pretty disappointed with ourselves. We realize that we are letting each other down. A lot of it I don't think has to do with formations; a lot of it just comes down, on the day, we don't have enough guys playing good and if you do that throughout a season, if you always have six, seven guys playing up to their level and three or four of us -- and I say 'us' because it's been me as well, we're all in this together -- it's disappointing. Over the long season, if you're not professional enough in your job to take each job with pride, this is what happens. We seem to have taken the summer off a little bit. It's just not good enough. It's disrespectful to each other, to the staff, to the fans, but maybe it's good it's happening right now. ... We have a nice stretch here to make a difference. We've had the pow-wows, we've done the talking and now it's a matter of who will show up on gamedays and play to the ability they know how to do."

More on the continuation.....

"If we start getting on a roll and getting the points to get into the playoffs and getting into the right frame of mind soon, we are fine. It's not panic time, but it's certainly time for concern."

"It's a great challenge for us right now [playing Los Angeles Saturday]. We need to step up to play. It's a great chance for us to turn things around and show that we can be the team that is talented and focused. I am tired of being a talented team. It's no fun being a talented team when you don't get points."

By Steve Goff  |  August 20, 2009; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. World Cup Bid Cutdown
Next: DCU News and Notes

Comments

Any word on ticket sales for Saturday?

Posted by: Pedalada | August 20, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Only marginally related to the topic but last night during the Chicago-LA game I saw an ad saying ESPN would have La Liga games on Sunday mornings this season.

Anyone know the details?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 20, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

From what I watched of the LA-Chicago game (before I fell asleep from exhaustion), LA was moving the ball very well and running hard at Chicago. I thought "Uh-oh, this can't be good for DC."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 20, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

In other words, Benny says "ain't notin' to it but to DO it"...

I hope that they do.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 20, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

All they have to do now is win the games.

Posted by: sitruc | August 20, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

It's a lack of quality coaching two years in a row. Soehn might be a nice guy but he can't get the best out of the players.

Posted by: bighungry | August 20, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone going to the Ladies' Night on Saturday? Goff, sounds like something that'd be fun for you or Steinburg to cover. There's even going to be a chair-dancing demo!

Posted by: Hokienautic | August 20, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Benny remains a class act. I'd love to see him as a coach of this team one day. We still better get 3 points on Saturday, though.

Posted by: M__N | August 20, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that someone's stepping up

Posted by: MOCker | August 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Now was definitely time for the "pow-wows", to use Benny's term. This is, simply put, a must win. Hopefully Olsen isn't the only person going for a "by any means necessary" mentality. That late stretch of home games ('m talking about 5 straight MLS home games starting with Kansas City on 9/9) can be a platform to playoff success, or it can be our wild, desperate haymaker while we're on the way down. The big thing is that we can't wait for those 5 games to save us. We have to get some points between now and then, and we can: LA at home (we are unbeaten at home), at Chicago (Chicago is awful at home), and at Dallas (the tough one, since they're hot and we'll likely be sending reserves; this game is a couple days after the USOC final).

I know it's already pitchfork-and-torches time in a lot of people's minds right now, but this season is not at all lost. This is the opportunity, right now. Imagine what beating a hot LA team that always plays well at RFK followed by beating a top Mexican club can do for the collective confidence of literally the entire club. The players, the coaches, and even us in the stands. We have a squad capable of pulling off those results, but it's not going to come easily.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 20, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Translation:

"We stink."

Posted by: Ron16 | August 20, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Benny for coach?

Posted by: macheath | August 20, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"I thought "Uh-oh, this can't be good for DC."
-----------------------------------------

My thoughts exactly from the first half...LA looked great. They looked like they had total confidence. Why can't we ever display this type of confidence?

Posted by: DCB23 | August 20, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Why can't we ever display this type of confidence?"

We used to...when Bruce was our coach...

Posted by: mmathai1 | August 20, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

re: I saw an ad saying ESPN would have La Liga games on Sunday mornings this season.

Anyone know the details?
----
ESPN made a deal with Gol TV to be able to show up to 20 games a season in English and up to 114 games a season on ESPN Deportes. Gol TV will continue to show the same number of games from Spain that it does every year, 120 or so. The two networks will take turns having first pick of games out of the 6 they can choose from each week in the package Gol TV gets. Essentially it sounds like ESPN made it monetarily worth Gol TV's while to share. I wonder if they've done the same thing for the Bundesliga as well. Last weekend while Gol TV had on the Hamburg-Dortmund game live, Deportes had Bayern-Bremen live at the same time.

Posted by: thrh1 | August 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The Galaxy looked great last night on the road. Donovan gonna tear us a new one! Our defense/goalkeeping sucks too bad to stop him, not to mention Beckham, Eddie Lewis, Eskandarian and even, Chris Klein...I would say that we should be in full PANIC MODE right now. The season is on the verge, and Soehn looks like he cannot get the job done.

Posted by: alan19 | August 20, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, thrh1!

I hope they put lots of these games on ESPN2 and maybe ESPN, too. I have GolTV but I'm too stupid to figure out how to program my VCR/DVR in conjunction with the digital converter box. My older TV w a more basic cable hookup and just an old VCR lets me record stuff normally so I can watch stuff from ESPN, ESPN2, and some of the Mex-oriented channels at my leisure.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 20, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Quite the quandary... I want United to do well in CCL, win the Open Cup, and make a solid playoff run.

However, the last thing I want is Soehn taking/getting credit for any of those events.

Can we just fire him now and let Talon coach the team the rest of the year? If he can't motivate the team, who can?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

LA has steamrolled 2 very good teams in as many games. We need to create a lot more chances and start finishing, or all the posession in the world won't win it for us. Lets start to turn this season around this weekend!!

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | August 20, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Damn filter has held up a classic quote by Ray Hudson in regards to possession without penetration... :-(

Posted by: alecw81 | August 20, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | August 20, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Actually Dude,

LA has steamrolled 2 of the last 3 teams. Seattle got a win last Saturday. Just sayin'...

Posted by: Ciscokid50 | August 20, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It's deja vu all over again!

Posted by: rose-family1 | August 20, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but these comments have been recited every year for the past five or six. Seems like every season the same stuff happens. Always hoping to "get on a roll" and disappointed because they either can't put together a full 90, or there are a few guys not pulling their weight.

Posted by: hacksaw | August 20, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse