Jozy, Americans Abroad, Emilio, USA Women

*Three days after setting up a goal in his Hull City debut, USA forward Jozy Altidore scored from distance in the 42nd minute to lead his Premier League club to a 3-1 victory over third-tier Southend in the second round of the English League Cup.

Says the BBC: "Jozy Altidore is beginning to look like a masterstroke of a signing by Hull boss Phil Brown."

Other Americans in the League Cup today:

Forward Mike Grella started and played 83 minutes in third-division Leeds' 2-1 overtime victory over second-tier Watford, which left defender Jay DeMerit off the game-day roster. ... Defender Frank Simek went 90 in second-tier Sheffield Wednesday's 2-0 loss at fourth-division Port Vale. ... _46269051_007847786-1.jpgDefender Jonathan Spector went all 120 as Premier League's West Ham won in overtime at home against third-tier Millwall, 3-1, in a match marred by violence and pitch invasions at Upton Park. ... Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann got the call for Premier League's Wolverhampton against third-tier Swindon Town and, after no scoring through 120 minutes, Wolves prevailed on penalty kicks, 6-5.

*Luciano Emilio, D.C. United's Brazilian striker, has received a green card for permanent residency and will no longer count against the club's foreign player limit. His status change won't have an immediate impact on the roster.

*USA women's coach Pia Sundhage has invited 26 players, almost all from WPS clubs, to a 12-day training camp starting Sept. 21 at Home Depot Center:

GOALKEEPERS: Nicole Barnhart (Gold Pride), Ashlyn Harris (UNC), Hope Solo (St. Louis).
DEFENDERS: Brittany Bock (Los Angeles), Rachel Buehler (Gold Pride), Lori Chalupny (St. Louis), Stephanie Cox (Los Angeles), Amy LePeilbet (Boston), Heather Mitts (Boston), Megan Schnur (Sky Blue), Cat Whitehill (Washington).
MIDFIELDERS: Yael Averbuch (Sky Blue), Shannon Boxx (Los Angeles), Tina DiMartino (Gold Pride), Tobin Heath (UNC), Angela Hucles (Boston), Brittany Klein (Chicago), Lori Lindsey (Washington), Carli Lloyd (Chicago), Heather O'Reilly (Sky Blue), Leslie Osborne (Gold Pride), Megan Rapinoe (Chicago), Kacey White (Sky Blue).
FORWARDS: Lauren Cheney (UCLA), Amy Rodriguez (Boston), Abby Wambach (Washington).

By Steve Goff  |  August 25, 2009; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , England , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Bolivian Futbol Gone Wild
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Rampone is pregnant and not in camp. I wonder if she informed her coach before the WPS Cup final. Oh wait . . . .

Lori Lindsey gets the call, nice. Would like to see Sauerbrunn get a look.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 25, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Fan violence at a West Ham/Millwall game? Color me shocked. I guess I need to watch Green Street Hooligans again. ;)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 25, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

So does Emilio not count as an international in the Open Cup final?
If not that would sound like an immediate impact, no? Isn't there an international player limit on the game day roster in the tournament?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, I don't know the USOC that well, but I've never heard of that limit.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | August 25, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Emilio! Permanent Residency is the first step on a great path! Parabens!

Posted by: alan19 | August 25, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Make sure you get your old college IDs, $10 premium seats for the US OPEN CUP FINAL!!!!

Im there!!!!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

That is good for Emilio. Now if DCU could get him off the DP list also, that would really help.

Posted by: marksman37 | August 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

10 dollar ticket with a college ID!!!! Oh why couldn't this game have taken place when I was in DC....

Any video of Jozy's goal?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 25, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Is there video of Jozy's goal up on You Tube or some other service yet? I can't believe the premier league doesn't have a page with highlight videos- even the money-grubbing NFL has one of those.

Posted by: MattinSW | August 25, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm under the impression that there is a 5 international player limit on the rosters. Can't find the rules anywhere on the Open Cup website... what ever happened to a site maps?

Anyway, I've been curious about this for sometime, as Seattle and DCU both have significant numbers of internationals in their first team rosters.

Anyone else know what the rules are?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I mean internationals, I mean "foreign" players. Still finding nothing but Sigi Schmid talking about the problem it posed him in earlier rounds...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

With DeMerit not on the game day roster, I have a feeling that he's moving on from Watford. I hope it's Everton because they need a CD with Lescott moving to Man City.

He's shown that he can hang with top quality forwards like Torres & Villa (against Spain in the Confed Cup).

Posted by: FancyBottom | August 25, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@sonicdeathmonkey

Beat me to it:

I just hope Elijah Wood was OK.

From IMDB:
When Steve was The Major, the last game he went to was West Ham versus Millwall, to which Tommy Hatcher brought along his 12-year-old son, a son who Tommy had raised to be hard. After the game, a fight broke out between the GSE and the Millwall firm. Tommy's son got badly caught up in the fight and was killed.

Posted by: Lucius2 | August 25, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

For those of you not familiar with English football history, Millwall has a special place. Remember when Kasey Keller got his start there? Can anyone fill us in on the sociological dimension here?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | August 25, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

bechtold: as I understand it, West Ham and Millwall have hated each other for a century-plus, since being founded by competing and neighboring Shipbuilder companies. There's also a strong labor current, since the Thames Ironworks (now West Ham) was unionized, and every time they tried to strike, Millwall's workers would collaborate with management to undercut them and take Thames' contracts or scab. But basically, they hate eachother or no better reason that. They always have.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 25, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

@bechtoldpk

If you go on YouTube you'll see the Kasey Keller save that sparked a riot in '95 between Millwall and Chelsea. Also, there are a bunch of videos of Millwall/West Ham violence. Looks like a tit-for-tat cycle where one of the primary objectives is to smash the windows of the other clubs' pubs. (Which happened tonight.) Plus, the "core" of both clubs' supporters are some tough SOBs.

And, what joshuaostevens said.

Posted by: Lucius2 | August 25, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Gringo Torres take a rip in the first half of this Pachuca/Metapan match and hit the crossbar?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "West Ham"?...
-----------------
I like punk,
And I like Sham,
I got nicked,
Over at West Ham!
-----------------

"Police Car" by the Cockney Rejects

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 25, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Rebecca Moros was not invited to WNT camp? That makes me... what's the word I'm looking for... sullen? No... gloomy? No. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 25, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Alright, Pachuca is kicking the BeJesus out of Metapan at this point, 5-0...

I still haven't found the official rules for the Open Cup but from what I gather you can only have 5 foreign players on your roster.
Sooooo, who are our foreign players, and who will be made available for the final a week from tomorrow?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 25, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"Verklemmt."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 25, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

The Hull game wasn't on TV.

Cap Emilio!

Posted by: Reignking | August 25, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I think that picture makes Spector look kinda fat.

Goff, how many starters can we expect Soehn to trot out against Toluca tomorrow night?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 25, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

For those that don't know or aren't usual listeners, Alexi Lalas was the guest on Bill Simmons' podcast today.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 25, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

West Ham might have won tonight, but I seriously doubt they'll be allowed to stay in the competition. I can't believe the game wasn't abandoned after the first West Ham goal. But I guess that would have made things even worse tonight. Hopefully the league will chuck them out of the Cup tomorrow and they'll get a stiff find from the FA.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 25, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

cap Emillio? lol
man minus well hand our jersey and federation badge over to the opponents!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 25, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Crap - no video from Hull on Sky Sports News tonight. Heard the goal was nice though.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 25, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29 do you have video highlights of the game?

DeMiret to Everton? Good move for him but I don't know if he is on David Moyes radar. One reason he may not have made the roster was because he was rested. I would like to see DeMiret move the the EPL though.

And DadRyan, you asked about monsoon season in Flagstaff. From what I gathered today in my first day of class is that this has been an unusually light monsoon season.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 25, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Domenic Mediate scored a goal for Puerto Rico tonight at the Monster's Cave, but Saprissa is up 2-1 going into halftime.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 25, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

..and judging from the match commentary in Pachuca's 5-0 win over Isidro Metapan, Jose Francisco Torres hit the woodwork twice with long shots.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 25, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | August 25, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"The Football Association have strongly condemned the violence which marred Tuesday night's Carling Cup clash between West Ham United and Millwall, calling for "all culprits to be banned from football for life"."

Posted by: spikeman | August 25, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Only if Jose Torres had a defensive work rate....

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 25, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

How come Natasha Kai (sp?) didn't get invited. She seems to provide energy and is actually exciting to watch sometimes. wnba (ahem)

Posted by: wordup1 | August 25, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Does the Emilio green card mean that he is trying to stay in the US for the foreseeable future? I thought he might be heading out after this season. I guess it is Fred that always seem to be wanting to go back to Brazil / Australia.

ps - if a soccer player gets green carded, does a ref stop by their house and pull a green card from their pocket?

Posted by: diego_r | August 25, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

First, let's make the Sounders fans know next week what real futbol fans are, as was the case in the Millwall-West Ham game. Absent, I suppose, the sickening violence.

Second, I've got a perfect American football nickname for the Altidore-Ghilas pairing at Hull City: Thunder and Lightning. They may face relegation in the end, but keep it up, Jozy!!

Posted by: mannewskie | August 26, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Only if Jose Torres had a defensive work rate....

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 25, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Whatya mean? It was 5-0 Pac....
What I saw of him was pretty good. Infact, I think he fouled someone early on... did he get a yellow and give up a free kick? I don't know, he seemed to be working hard, and having a pretty stellar game.
But... what do I know?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

anyone have a highlight reel of Jozy`s goal?

Posted by: Samuraise | August 26, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

@SportzNut21

That was a nice finish by Mediate, after one-touching the ball past the Saprissa left back. Can't remember the last time an American scored such a goal at the Monster's Cave!

Posted by: billindmd | August 26, 2009 3:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wordup1 | August 25, 2009 11:26 PM
____________________________

Kai needs to have surgery on at least one (possibly both) shoulders in the off season, so I expect her to get it done asap. This is probably why she was left off the roster.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 26, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

English fans displaying that classy behavior that will cost them their WC bid....

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 26, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Rapinoe and Heath are going to be the big stars of 2011. Those two with O'Reilly and Kai means...lots of talent sitting on the bench. Wish we could field two teams.

Posted by: troy6 | August 26, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 26, 2009 7:29 AM

Actually, it's the English authorities capability for dealing with situations like this that has made the issue a strength, not a weakness.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Alright for Emilio!!! I'll congraduate him next time I see him. He is good friends with mine. I met him and his family not to long ago. They are great people.

In regards to Jozy, he is becoming the player Adu was suppose to be. Alright for Jozy. Jozy and Davies make a big threat up front if place together.

Posted by: RM27 | August 26, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to longtime Freedom player Lori Lindsey for the WNT callup. Lori's been on the Freedom roster through all their various instantiations (WUSA, unaffiliated, W-League, WPS) every year since 2003.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

" minus well hand our jersey and federation badge over to the opponents! "
------------------------------------------------------

"minus well"???? I've seen some very funny elocutions over the years on the internet -- weird misunderstandings of English phrases -- but, this might be the strangest or best yet.

It's "might as well" -- not "minus well"

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why any collegians are being invited to the WNT camp. There just isn't anything that important on the WNT front before '11. U.S. Soccer should keeps its paws off the NCAA scene, just as it should have left the WPS season unmolested.

In a previous thread someone noted that Bompastor scored for France in its Euro opener against Iceland a couple of days ago. Another player who scored was Louisa Necib, who was allocated to the Freedom at the same time as Bomp. Did the Freedom simply fail to sell her on the splendors of America, or what? Does the Freedom retain rights to her, and might we see her in the future?

Also, I noted that Germany routed Norway, 4-0. That got to me thinking about the fact that so far as I can recall, there were no significant Norwegians in WPS this past year. Has Norwegian distaff football sunk that far? Or did the Norwegians, like the Germans, boycott WPS?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised teh Sky Blue FC keeper Jenni Branham didn't get a call up. After her gutsy performances in Sky Blue's run through the WPS playoffs, she earned by good saves and solid performance.

Of course, the beatings that she took might have her simply hurting right now.

Posted by: MattJohnston1 | August 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

That's "got me to thinking."

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Where's the video of Jozy's goal yesterday?

Posted by: hudson22 | August 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 2:56 PM

========

The Freedom weren't able to sign her for this year - don't know why - but retain the rights to her for next year. Bad news is that her club team (after losing Bompastor and Abily to WPS) has gotten serious about signing their players to contracts. So we'll see if the Freedom can prise her loose or not.

Bompastor will definitely be with the Freedom next year.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 2:56 PM

-------------------
I heard one of the reasons she didn't come at the same time was she wanted to help Lyon win the Champions League, but then after losing Abily and Bompastor Lyon didn't make it past the semis. I don't think she has signed another contract with Lyon, so that means she is available - hopefully Sonia can talk to her about her experiences. I watched the France - Iceland match online and she was easily one of the best players on the pitch and she is only 22. The goal she scored was a rocket that the goalie just couldn't handle.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 26, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Lucious2 & joshuaostevens:
Thanks for the info on Westham and Milwall. But, surely the FA knows about this; why did they not place gazillion security forces there?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | August 26, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse