Matchday: United-Real Madrid

Greetings from FedEx Field, where the temperature continues to rise. Will it reach 100?

Kickoff: 3 p.m.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura.

We will provide running commentary on this entry and access for reader comments as the match unfolds.

DCU: Wicks; Jakovic, Janicki, Burch; Pontius, Olsen, Wallace, Gomez, Fred; Moreno, Emilio.

RM: Casillas; Drenthe, Arbeloa, Albiol, Pepe; Sneijder, Alonso, Kaka, Granero; Ronaldo, Higuain.

By Steve Goff  |  August 9, 2009; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Kickaround
Next: DCU-Real Madrid LIVE

Comments

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

It's 71 degrees in my living room.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 9, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

3-man backline against Real Madrid??? Janicki & Burch as part of that backline ... need I say more? Janicki please dribble your way out of defense as you did against Firpo.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Janicki starting = lots of goals

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 9, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

DCU's twitter feed claims Barklage is available.. what gives??? has he started training?
...hits4gomez...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure they would have gone 4-4-2 if they still had Namoff, they'd just push the line over.

Without Namoff or Quaranta, we could be really screwed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 9, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope (with my homer hat on) that DCU shows well and gives RM a real game. (Sorry for the visual pun.)

I fear that we'll suffer the same fate as Seattle and TFC....which goes to show that MLS as a whole has a ways to go.

Watching the crisp player and ball movement by both Spanish clubs is a joy.

Posted by: 22206no1 | August 9, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

It's 71 degrees in my living room.
Posted by: Pedalada
===================

And no lines for beer of the bathroom.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I menat beer or the bathroom. "beer of the bathroom" sounds disgusting.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 9, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Dave Johnson in the booth with Christopher Sullivan.
NO MAX BRETOS! YESSSSS!!!!!!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 9, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Bretos' son getting baptized today, per his twitter...

Posted by: jrfath1 | August 9, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"We wish him all the best as he heads to the great beyond."

WTF?

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Reference to Pirlo. None to Gattuso. Don't drink yet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 9, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Great save Wicks. That live thing Tenorio set up on the next thread is pretty neat.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

$350 million for players and they can't afford to put the names on the backs of the jerseys.

Good save by Wicks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Madrid needs to spend another $300 million. 0-0 at half.

Posted by: Hoost | August 9, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse