Matchnight #20: United-Dynamo

Greetings from Robertson Stadium. The pregame temperature is in the mid-90s. In the sun, it feels like 130. It's humid. But there is a breeze. So we've got that going for us.

United reaches the two-thirds mark of the league calendar tonight against the Dynamo, which leads the Western Conference and has conceded just four goals in nine home matches. United, by the way, hasn't scored here in four visits all-time.

TV: 8:30 p.m. ET; Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Espanol.
English Announcers: D.C.-based Dave Johnson and Salt Lake-based Brian Dunseth.

(FYI, this fall, Comcast SportsNet is planning to use U of Maryland Coach Sasho Cirovski for a couple DCU games while usual color commentator Thomas Rongen is with the U-20s in Egypt.)

Back soon with DCU's lineup.....

DCU: Wicks; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Quaranta, Jacobson, Olsen, Gomez, Fred; Pontius, Moreno. Subs: Kocic, John, Janicki, McTavish, DiRaimondo, Szetela, Emilio. Wallace is suspended, Allen not in uniform, N'Silu did not make the trip and will not meet the team in El Salvador -- muscle strain and lack of productivity. With one available roster slot, United remains in negotiations with Belgian-based defender David Habarugira.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are warmly welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  August 1, 2009; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DiCicco Suspended One Game
Next: United Rewind

Comments

No Max Bretos? Yesssssss
No Christopher Sullivan-- terrrrible (please roll the r's in your head)

Posted by: jmingus | August 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Let's Do Dis!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

CSN games are always much better than FSC games. Glad to hear Sasho will be in the booth, thanks for passing that on.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Per the team's facebook update:

D.C. United's starting eleven versus Houston: Wicks, Namoff, Jakovic, Burch, Quaranta, Jacobson, Olsen, Fred, Gomez, Pontius, Moreno. **** Available subs: Kocic, John, DiRaimondo, Emilio, Szetela, Janicki, McTavish

Great to see Quaranta back in, with Pontius up top. But Luci on the bench is a big surprise.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 1, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if they're doiong it up there, but Comcast down here is doing a free preview day of direct kick on the television, so heads up on that.

Also, I'm ready to buy a DC scarf, and having a hard time deciding which. Any opinions?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

is clyde simms hurt or something?

Posted by: wordup1 | August 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

No N'Silu again? Is he that far down the pecking list or what?

Posted by: jason1551 | August 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

kind of related, but is there ever any talk of Sasho taking over the national team at some point...

He seems like an ideal candidate. He really transformed UMD into a soccer powerhouse.

Posted by: wordup1 | August 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Soehn thinks that Jacobson will finally hit one of those long range shots!'

Although, usually, you have to have other qualities that keep you on the pitch until you learn how. Aw well.

Fred, you better play out of your mind.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Simms had hernia surgery and is out a few weeks

Posted by: jason1551 | August 1, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if a University of Maryland coach is chosen over an experienced foreign coach, then we are SOOOO screwed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 1, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Simms had hernia surgery two weeks ago.

Sasho for national team? Whoa. He needs to coach in the pros first. I could see him coaching a youth national team someday.

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 1, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff, Did DC have any players sign non-guaranteed contracts after the July 1st deadline? I just wonder if Allen, Szetela, and (potentially) Habarugira are enough for this season and can't see why the team wouldn't do that just to have an out in case something comes along (a la Cooke and K. Smith being waived in favor of J. Smith and whoever NY picks up).

Posted by: jason1551 | August 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, maybe a United/Real Madrid scarf would strike your fancy? I'm not saying that they'll have them for sale next week online but maybe they will be? Seattle sold Sounders/Chelsea and now Sounders/Barca ones...

Me personally? If I was going to get another one, those striped Waldo lookin' jawns are pretty cool.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 1, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with Emilio and Wallace not in the starting lineup if they stay a bit fresher for the game in El Salvador Tuesday. Although I imagine Luci will come on for Jaime fairly early in the 2nd half.

In my mind, tonight's game is the 1st half of a test with the 2nd half taking place in about 96 hours. Of course I'd be crazy to think that's how the team's management views it.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, forgot to delete Goff's lineup from my post before I hit the submit key. With my short term memory I can't remember anything without having it spelled out in front of me...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I already have a Madrid scarf, so I'm not really interested in that. Good suggestion though Dadryan. I like the one that forms the logo when it's hanging, but I like the idea of the VW logo on it, don't know why. I'm a corporate shill, I suppose.

On to the game.

Pleeeeeeease at least a point. At least.

And Fred, let's just keep your rating at a 5. I'd be happy with that. Keep it level. Push it higher. Just show you can play well enough for it to not drop.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

MLS doesnt want me watching the Chicago-RSL game at the same time. Not working on the direct kick preview or my mlsnet package.

Shoddy moments early.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

when is fox going to go high def. This sucks..

Posted by: Beckster1 | August 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Those aren't rumors. He's signed and just not leaving til after the season.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen is that Gattuso-type midfielder

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

On online radio? wtf?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 1, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Habarugira. That reminds me of a song, nut I can't think of the name right now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 1, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic almost pulled a Janicki.

Posted by: Hobes | August 1, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

...i am not a fan of this "young jerry lewis"-looking ref....

Posted by: birdynumnum | August 1, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Even my 7 year old is criticizing the long passes to no-one.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 1, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

No live feed. Sounds like we are skipping the midfield again in our attacks. Is this a result of then midfield not being open for an outlet or defender panic?

Posted by: evanskr521 | August 1, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is Julius James?

Posted by: carmines757 | August 1, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Was Wicks shielded or did he just think it was going wide?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

We look toothless

Posted by: carmines757 | August 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Not sure Jacob, but if he wasn't shielded that was a terrible attempt at a save...as it was almost right in front of him and he didn't even make an effort for it until the last second. Damn, and as I write this another goal...

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | August 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Wicks is having a, uh, "rough" game.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow...3 goals conceded in the past 5 minutes. I almost can't watch...

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | August 1, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

To think I decided to miss the beginning of poker night to watch this half... WTF.

Posted by: carmines757 | August 1, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Karma for mailing it in last Tuesday.

Posted by: jonfhoffman | August 1, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Who turned on the Gold Cup final? I don't remember Mexico wearing orange in that game....wait a second...

Posted by: Hobes | August 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

also, if they send out the reserves Tuesday, I hope RM hangs 10 on them.

Posted by: jonfhoffman | August 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Get Gomez and Moreno out now. This game is over. Save their legs for another night.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Man Tommy is such a great coach for tanking it on Tuesday, it really is paying off tonight.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Glad we used our A-squad.

I hear the "fire Soehn" train coming to town. Warp speed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

new goalie and a new coach please.

Posted by: birdynumnum | August 1, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Add Olsen to the list. No reason to waste him either.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 1, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Fire all of em.

Posted by: jonfhoffman | August 1, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Gomez just tried to get himself taken out to save his legs.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

"From the way things are shaping up we better win the USOC in September if we want to have any silverware this year. This team is imploding at the ugliest of times."

Are you talking about 2006, 2007, or this year?

Posted by: carmines757 | August 1, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Can i add that I hate a salary cap because we can't just clear out players without being responsible for their salary for the rest of the season?

Posted by: jonfhoffman | August 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I haven't said this in a while, but now that I have that old familiar sinking feeling again...FIRE TOM SOEHN!!

He is not a big team coach. Never was and never will be.

This team needs to be cleaned up in the off season.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I wish everyone would add Payne to their venom list. Don't think for a single solitary minute that Tuesday was all Soehn's doing. I guarantee you Payne was completely in on that decision. Where are all the defenders tonight of that ridiculous line-up on Tuesday now?

Posted by: croftonpost | August 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

@ carmines757 - do I really need to pick one?

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Now we know why the Galaxy got rid of Wicks.

Posted by: GoUnited | August 1, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! Just ordered my Gold Cup tix.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

You know this 3-5-2 wetdream is just not panning out. We have 2 D-mids (one of which always disappears in games) and we have defenders that are all about the 4-4-2, why not switch this damned thing up.

I know Gomez gets lost in the 4-4-2, but it's not like he's seeing much of the ball right now anyways. If anything, we may be able to get more 0-0 ties.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

we tanked Champions League for this?

Posted by: Pedalada | August 1, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

McTavish for Olson, Szetela for Gomez, and Emilio for Moreno. Save their legs and hope that the other guys provide more punch. A roll of the dice, but when down 3-0, that's about all we can hope for.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | August 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

this entire team needs to be blown up. i am so tired of the lame ass attitude. it's not just the coach. the players are at fault as well. i would rather root for a team with so-so talent and good attitude than this crap i am watching.

Posted by: birdynumnum | August 1, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

So, pitchforks and torches, then. I'll wear my angry mob hat.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 1, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

All I know if if this team comes out flat, even though the game is lost, this team won't win, or maybe even get to, the playoffs. If they do make it, they wont advance because they have no heart. They also have a coach the plays a formation that doesnt fit the players. So theres that too.

Posted by: jonfhoffman | August 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard. Please wear red.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 1, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

the flagship of american soccer has been destroyed in the last couple of years. This squad is capable of absolutely nothing.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

We have some serious cap money sitting on the bench and even more cap money sleep walking on the field. One dumbass coach who does not know is a-- from his elbow, a front office is too smart to see how stupid it is, and fans being punked (prison style) for many, many years now as we smell flatulance and sing of the sweet, sweet honeydew aroma that fills the air...

...somethings gotta give!

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Horrible. They should bench Quaranta and play with ten men - better than just randomly kicking the ball to no one.

All these long balls, when nine of the ten white shirts are on the defensive side of the line. Is this Soehn's "strategy"?

Posted by: duck95 | August 1, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I would leave Olsen on just because I doubt he would play again Tuesday whether he plays 45 or 90 minutes tonight.

Take off Moreno, Gomez and Pontius and put on Di Raimondo, Dyachenko and David Stokes.

On the 1st goal where Wicks clearly didn't react: has anyone heard of a goalie losing a white ball against the background of his teammates white uniform?

2nd half starts. Emilio on Gomez and John on for Olsen. Mehh...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

What is more important now, CCL or the exhibition against Madrid? For what it's worth Madrid also has an exhibition two days earlier in Toronto.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 1, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Either give me hope or don't. Pick and go with it.

I like what I see after the goal from Emilio though.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

who came out?

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Well at least we got one back...nice work Emilio! I think that was just what we needed. Now lets be smart on defense and work on creating two more goals....

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | August 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

who came out?

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 1, 2009 9:44 PM
=======================

That guy from American Idol.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

We have 4 back there and we are still getting shredded. This team is getting ran over. I serious have reservations about their heart and pride.

Ups to Emilio. Still 7 goals for $700 K - we like our goals expensive like.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

*seriously, that is.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is dandy

Posted by: robertsliko | August 1, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I doubt there's two more goals in them, but at least they look like they're trying.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Now is the time for the chorus of "There isn't anyone better etc blah blah blah."

Posted by: kristenfw | August 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

There is some more speed out there. You know I don't remember this team moving so fast (in the heat for that matter). But Soehn will turn around and go 3-5-2 the next chance he gets.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope our negotiations with Nikolai Khabibulin continue and we can soon put him in at goalie.

Posted by: diego_r | August 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

So let me see, we go to four backs after we go three goals down.

Confused defense, no one playing defensive midfield, no one shutting down.

This is a coaching loss pure and simple.

Posted by: congguy | August 1, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

why does this whole season seem eerily similar to last season? Shocker in the Concacaf Champions League. Might miss out on the playoffs. US Open Cup champs!

The players are better this year, so if the result is the same, then it looks like the coaching staff is what's in need of a change.

Posted by: diego_r | August 1, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Why is it goalkeepers act mortally wounded whenever the opposition shoots remotely close to the goal? They act is if they are never, ever supposed to touch the ball, and if they do, someone in front of them made a heinous mistake worthy of getting screamed and pointed at.

Wicks MO is to cast blame the moment something happens. Onstadt, too. Ridiculous.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 1, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sold on that as a PK.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Dave Sarachan, stay by the phone...

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I was going to walk over to Summers to watch this since my cheap@ss hotel doesn't offer FSC. I'm thinking perhaps I'm better off watching whichever Harold and Kumar movie is on...

Posted by: troy6 | August 1, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Not so sure that was a PK either, but if you let a no talent-a-clown like Oduro run right up your guts you deserve what ever carp call is made against you.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

*crap call that is, sorry for the writing but I am on the wrong side of ticked right now.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

This one is over folks. Resumes please.

Posted by: kristenfw | August 1, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree, the penalty kick decision was a complete and total carp.

Looked like shoulder to shoulder contact before Jackovic got to the ball and kicked it out of bounds.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

So Kinnear is up by 3 and is reaming his guys for lazy passing, we are down by 3 and although the camera is not showing it, I bet Soehn is picking his nose.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Sweetest finish of the year from Fred off a nice feed on the run from Jaime!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm not one of those guys that is always calling for the backup quarterback,(I mean, hey, I get to root for Matty Ice!) but the apparent lack of effort and discipline leads me to believe maybe it is time for a coaching change.

That said, great strike by Fred.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

now we need to go fall down in the penalty area so we can have a bs PK called in our favor.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 1, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

did Jaime just break the all-time DCU assists record on that goal by Fred? I think he was tied with Etch before...

Posted by: Pedalada | August 1, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Lucky Ching was called offsides there. Not only does it disallow the goal but Wicks came in hard studs first - although there was no contact he still coulda got a 2nd yellow.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Let's see Fred can shot from the middle and is right footed so play him on the left, nuff said.

Posted by: kristenfw | August 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

4-3!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh well, at least it's not a dull low-scoring game. Emilio heads one home at the far post after Houston fails to clear a corner kick. Who headed that ball across the goalmouth for Emilio?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

C'mon boys!!! One more score.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | August 1, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Its 4-3 and im not even excited. Our players have heart, but unfortunately heart wont be enough to win the big championships.

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 1, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

F U

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 1, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I actually cheered Josh Wicks when he made the goalline reflex save at the beginning of stoppage time.

The team showed fight in the 2nd half. Hopefully they have something left for El Salvador on Tuesday night.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 1, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I think we showed heart and a will to not give up. I think the heat and humidity let us down there. Come November, we won't have any games in those conditions...which I think will work more to our advantage then.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | August 1, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes. I regret my challenging their heart. They showed that some passion still burns in them and that they have not forgotten the pride of the shirt.

That said, 4 goals? It's hard to take the points when you let 4 in.

If this team plays on Thursday we might advance, but I'm not sure the legs will be there. The coaching staff and FO played this one super stupidly all the way back from the SJ debacle.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 1, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Mexican crew at RFK were biased. Salizar was almost as bad. And if I recall, he showed poorly the last time he officiated a United match.

I'm beginning to think MLS is officiated like the WWF.

Posted by: carnack | August 1, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, the difference with last year is that there would have been no fight left in them. Still a mediocre team, sometimes defending at USL-2 level. Not very creative on attack. Coin-toss on whether playoff-bound.
Goff, you should do a little spreadsheet analysis on Real Madrid's payroll and DC United's. It could be entertaining!

Posted by: DCU98_BestEver | August 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I stand by my point about it may be time for a coaching change. Emilio urged on the team, and inspired the second half play. Yes, Soehn had to make that change, but I think he made it more to save Gomez from a second yellow and for rest, not for a spark. I think Szetela played his role well. I'm pleasantly please/surprised with Fred. I still think Wicks could have done better on the first two goals, and that the PK was iffy at best.

Wait, I just saw FC Dallas won 6-0. Wtf happened there?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I will tell you why I am not as pleased as most people with the 4-3 if we just hadn't let thems score finish.

We are a drama team. We don't finish when we dominate, if we score first we always concede, when they score first we always comeback, it's exciting, and just enough for us to not fire the coach...

But this is not a winning team, and this is clearly not a coach who knows how to light a fire under the players' collective @#$. And we know it. He doesn't prepare them well, this is a total disaster for the amount of talent we have on this team, and the amount of time we KNEW where our troubles were.

Fire Soehn, and lose Fred. Unless, of course, he does that every game, but NOT ENOUGH for the money. This is not a tight ship, hell this isn't even a leak dry ship.

Fin.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 1, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I only watched the second half.

-Nice strike by Fred
-MLS officiating continues to be sub-par
-Great effort by DC

Tonight, D.C. reminded me of Peter Nowak's coaching style. Run and Gun. I think if we pick up the pace and force the opposing team to quicken their game, we have a better chance of winning than looking to play a slow possession game and looking for that picture perfect tap-in goal.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 1, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Ive been wanting soehn gone for awhile and have never liked him. There are coaches available and I dont think its impossible to get one of the best coaches in MLS. Were DC United the most successful team and if we pay appropriate wages I dont think it will be a problem.

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 1, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the counterpoint... Don't fire Soehn!

There's only so much Soehn can do during a match besides put out the best possible roster, and make smart substitutions. With Simms injured and Wallace suspended, I don't think you can really argue too much with this starting lineup, and Soehn's changes at halftime were the only reason that we kept this one close.

I just wonder if we'll see the 4-4-2 more after this match. As with any other tactical decision, I think it depends on the situation. On the road against a team with several strong attackers might be a good situation for the 4-4-2. Let's see if DC goes to this formation again at Toronto in two weeks.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 1, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

give to the reigns to Sasho Cirovski

Posted by: andrew23 | August 1, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

So, why is it that the younger guys play long ball after long ball... to nobody. Our old guys play the beautiful game and the younguns are playing tennis. I believe that is poor coaching and lazy players.

Posted by: srose13 | August 1, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Bretos just said "won back by Boy-yan, excuse me, Boy-Jhon".

You had it right the first time!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Ehtwo Bretos keeps talking about?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Eh-two*

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

DeLeGarza has been impressive

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Beckhmam just scored his greatest free kick for LA.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 1, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

That Beckham goal against Barca looked almost exactly like the one he scored as his first in a Galaxy kit, back in the 2007 SuperLiga against DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I swear though...between Donovan, Lewis, Kirovski, and Sanneh, I'm not sure whether I'm watching the Galaxy, or the 2002 USMNT.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 2, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

can't say I've seen a halftime shirt swap before

Posted by: Pedalada | August 2, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Josh Wicks needs to make a save on one of those goals.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 2, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

DAD! More sleeves controversy for ya!

Beckhma wears short sleeves to start, trades with Alves at half, and comes out to start the second with... LONG SLEEVES!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 2, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Re: United - no more back three please. Thank you

Posted by: Kev29 | August 2, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

so why can't Ching finish like that for the USMNT?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 2, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Tough call by Salazar. An incorrect call, but not a horrible call. In the run of play it's possible to see a foul. But then why not a red? If that is a PK and he's the last man, then he should have been thrown out.

As it stood, the ref was even second guessing his own decision.

Either way, Wicks was horrendous. He could have been replaced with a traffic cone. Give Kocic the start for the next week or until he blows it.

Worst showing by a DC goalie in a long, long time. Where's Rimando? Perkins? Anyone.

Posted by: delantero | August 2, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of this waste of flesh of a coach already? Any chump stupid enough to be quoted ANYWHERE that he hopes THE ALLSTAR snub should fire them up, should be released on principal alone.

Tommy sucks. GEt rid of his joke of an @$$.
The Open Cup alone isn't going to cut it this year.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 2, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Yes, PK was total carp...

Posted by: beergorila | August 2, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

We could have the best coach in the world & this team would still be slow and mediocre.

Intersting no one is carping anymore about Quaranta not being an All Star. He was HORRIBLE tonight. After his something like 30th long ball to nobody I quit counting.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 2, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse