Matchnight #23: United-Fire

Greetings from Bridgeview on an unseasonably cool and comfortable late-summer evening outside the Windy City. The weather provides a premature playoff feel, and while the Fire seems headed for postseason, DCU needs to start picking up points (even if it's just one on the road tonight) if it plans on making it.

This is the fifth match in a stretch of 10 games (all competitions) in 31 days for United, and so far, it's been a major disappointment with three losses and a draw. The club has had success here, though, with two victories and two ties in its past five visits.

Danny Szetela (coach's decision) is not on hand. Andrew Jacobson (sore ankle) is not here either. Newcomer Tiyi Shipalane was not selected for the road trip. John DiRaimondo is on loan to Richmond for the USL-2 championship game.

TV: Fox Soccer Channel, 8:30 p.m. ET.
Announcers: Max Bretos and Christopher Sullivan.

Full DCU lineup and subs to come.....
DCU: Wicks; Namoff, James, Jakovic, Burch; Olsen, Simms, Gomez, Fred; Quaranta, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, Habarugira, John, McTavish, Wallace, Pontius, Moreno.

As is the tradition, your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  August 29, 2009; 6:40 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU, Freedom, U-20s
Next: United Rewind

Comments

COME ON UNITED!

Posted by: DCB23 | August 29, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

This Szetela situation is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: tigerquoll | August 29, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

The Szetela situation is already ridiculous. What a waste of talent (for Szetela himself), of resources (for DC United), and hope (for DCU supporters).

Posted by: hoyanick1 | August 29, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow I didn't even see that note on Szetela. Beyond belief.

Posted by: DCB23 | August 29, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I cant stand Max Bretos and Christopher Sullivan anymore. I am gonna mute the tv and listen to Limarzi. But the radio feed is always a minute behind.

Posted by: spikeman | August 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess we can say that the front office will be fired at the end of the season. *crosses fingers*
Cause this wasting of money has to stop as well as losses plus ties...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I would assume that DCU is trying to deal Szetela, de to whatever it was that transpired. Maybe he and Michael Bradley could join Bakary Soumare and a few other prima donnas to make their own team. No doubt, they would be in Serie B...

Posted by: fischy | August 29, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Soehn needs to go.

I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings when Szetela called you a no-talent a$$-clown, but the kid is right. You have no business coaching a U-8 team let alone a professional franchise that is supposed to be the Sterling Standard of American Soccer.

I don't care if he showed up to a training hungover, or missed one. When that happens you simply run the player till he drops in practice, have him sit out the next match, and MOVE ON.

Here's the losing lineup Soehn will put out tonight:

-------------Wicks----------------
Namoff------Jakovic----------Burch
--------Olsen-----Simms-----------
Quaranta----------------------Fred
-------------Gomez----------------
--------Pontius--Emilio-----------

Subs: Kocic, Moreno, Wallace, McTavish, Habarugira, James, Allen

Here's what he SHOULD do if he wants to get at least a point:

--------------Wicks---------------
Namoff--Jakovic--James--Habarugira
Tino----Simms------Olsen---Wallace
-----------Pontius----------------
-----------------Emilio-----------

Subs: Kocic, Moreno, Gomez, Fred, McTavish, Burch, Allen

Posted by: alecw81 | August 29, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Seriously...WTF is going on with Szetela? Can't we get some clarity on it?

Posted by: rss317 | August 29, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to watching on mute with some background music.

(what music would you recommend to watch DCU?)

Posted by: Pedalada | August 29, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Id say United wins this 2-1. Why? Cause I am a blind idiot of a supporter.

While I hate both of those announcers I am thankful this game in on FSC so I don't have to watch it on a tiny 2 inch box on my computer screen.

I am no Euro snob but I have a feeling I am going to be depressed after watching Man Utd Arsenal and the first half of the Milan debacle.

Any chance we record a clean sheet?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 29, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

The embarrassment continues. Get rid of the guy or explain why it is that one of the best possible players on the DCU roster isn't being selected. I've got more anxiety about this team now than ever. WTF is going on?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 29, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Wu-Tang clan......

No that only worked one time while I watched Zizu youtube clips under the influence of certain illegal things.

I don't know what music your into but Dead Weather's Horehound is a good CD. Jack White is the guitarist. It is not that long a a CD though...

Stevie Ray Vaughn?

I apologies for my ranting, I have been in seclusion all day reading rational choice theory.... very loathsome.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 29, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts: Texas is shook. California's bats and the early pitching change have them off.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Chicago's entire backline is either out ir dinged up. There is no reason not to hammer them with shots.

Posted by: jason1551 | August 29, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me there's a match tonight. California just extended their first inning lead to 9-0 with one out after that grand slam.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this Szetela screw up will be the straw that breaks Soehn's back. Or maybe we lose Szetela. I'm REALLY hoping for the former.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 29, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with Goff. A tie ain't gonna cut it...

Posted by: alan19 | August 29, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree, anything but a win is unacceptable.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about Szetela. Something happened, and we're not owed an explanation.

But Pontius on the bench? Cmon.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like DiRaimondo is a ringer...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Until DCU decides to get some real defenders and not the 'bargain basement' guys currently on the roster they will struggle with consistency and not make the PO's. This was a proud franchise but we are having to have very looong memories to recall we they were the class of MLS.

Posted by: euroman | August 29, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I feel owed an explanation just because I want one.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 29, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't get FSC... can anyone post a feed to follow on? Someone did this for the galaxy game and it was marvelous!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | August 29, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I with you Grubbsy. For some reason I think we beat the Tire-Fire tonight but then again I always do. We're just a few points out of the playoffs..WE CAN DO IT!!!

With my attitude, perhaps I should be playing Supertramp: Dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer. Can you put your hand on your head. Oh No! Dreamer...

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 29, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

that adthenet thing seems to work or maybe rojadirecta.com.
Off to Union Jacks. I've got a Olsen jersey on.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 29, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Vamos DCU - kick butt and win one for your fans

Posted by: dsansell | August 29, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

This may work when the match begins. You can always search on justin.tv or other sites like veetle or ustream.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

And here we go...

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 29, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 29, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Explanation? I think Sheon explained himself, ummm, very clearly: "Coaches choice."

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 29, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Now that Piotr Novak is the enemy, we can go back to disliking him.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Here comes the game. Glad I have a drink.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

It is an older, slower lineup, but maybe this is what is needed right now. Gomez has been invisible lately. If DC is to win, that will have to change tonight.

Posted by: fischy | August 29, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

atdhe feed is much better than channelsurfing

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

How will the refs screw us tonight, I wonder...

Posted by: fischy | August 29, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Really fast/sloppy pace to begin...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess we're going to find out if the 442 everyone has been clamoring for works out.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 29, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, there's one of the wrongly-recruiterd VT players...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Repeating from the previous, unrelated, thread: Michael Bradley has been dismissed from the roster of Borussia Moenchengladbach according to KICKER-SM, the most authoritative source in Germany.(Not just banned from playing, but FIRED!)

Posted by: bechtoldpk | August 29, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks so much for the links guys! atdhe.net working great!!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | August 29, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Naaaaamoffffff!!!

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 29, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Nicely done, Gomito... Namoff, too.

Posted by: fischy | August 29, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

how will we respond now?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 29, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice glancing header.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 29, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Huh? That's yesterday's news, and it was only for one match.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

#@%$#@$ I missed the goal because I was confirming my Bradley research.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

how the heck was that goal unassisted?? MLS text alerts are retarded sometimes...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | August 29, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Rolfe is wearing gloves in August? What a clown.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 29, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

nice run down the line by Olsen, but that was one awkward trap...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Rolfe doesn't want to break his nails.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Rolfe has a future in Italy. Amazing that he can pull down our player and yet be the one who ends up on the ground drawing the foul.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 29, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta looks about half as fast now as he was when he was 16. he would be riding pine at best on any other MLS team.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

nice to have simms back in the midfield.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 29, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

They're looking pretty confident following the goal.

Posted by: wichne | August 29, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Please. Q was the only thing worth watching during that midweek calamity.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

F Soehn for not even brining Szetela to Chicago. I am so tired of his routine. I care if this is a W or not he sucks and no Soehn lovers (all four of you) not just b/c he left Szetela out of the 18.

Posted by: no_recess | August 29, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

And Ben Olsen simply cant move anymore. Love ya Ben, but it is time to hang 'em up. His statuesque play is just painful to watch. Just painful.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon.

Posted by: wichne | August 29, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Agreed that it seems like without Simms we are a different team.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 29, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Coaching is overrated.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Does the referee have an endorsement contract with Brylcreem?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Great crossing to get down the field quickly...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

That doesn't make Q good player. He's lost a step, he is already in decline. He plays for DCU becuase we have so many fossils.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Q with plenty of time and room shanks another cross...

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

... then shanks *another* one and then he gets beaten like a rented mule down the left and his man gets a cross in. Nuff said.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

someone please tell me when burch has done something positive?

this guy has like over 100 bad crosses/passes in a row.

he might want to try aiming for the other team that might improve his chances

BURCH is as bad as bretos and sullivan.

que horrible

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

as i speak burch comes up with a yellow

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Sullivan shows off his knowledge of French geography. But no-one cares.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

these refs are a joke. that is not a yellow for fred. thats silly

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Darn, I have it muted...would love to know what Sullivan said.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Burch is a warm body. So we have him on our backline.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

They were talking about where Soumare is headed and Sullivan rattled off a list of French towns in the area. Chances are that he was wrong.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Re: Fred's yellow, I thought that they said something at the start of the season about blatant jersey pulling being an immediately bookable offense.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 29, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Good one. Ask Tino what his "favorite adult beverage" is. A**hole!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

dr neil bleakley optometrist music on his ad does not agree with what he is selling. it sounds like a bolivian snake charmer.

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Please get Jaime Moreno in this game!

Posted by: alan19 | August 29, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Q absolutely torched again. Fire player blew by him like he was standing still. And Q had a head start.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Gomez is gassed. Bring Jaime on for him.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

And get Olsen Out of there. It is just painful and embarassing to watch him walk up and down the field and ball-watch. He is finished. FINISHED.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Good one. Ask Tino what his "favorite adult beverage" is. A**hole!

Posted by: I-270Exit1

huh?

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

and olsen doesnt get booked on that one. way worse than the last two. crappy refs.

olsen, his skills are nearly gone.

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Chicago is dominating us -- only a matter of time before we give up the tying and winning goals.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 29, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

That was the last of the 6 questions in 60 seconds segment at halftime. Stupid question to ask a recovering drug addict. His answer was "lemonade."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Lacking Fox Soccer, I'm currently watching an exciting game between Guadalajar and Pachuca on Telemundo. In Spanish. Frankly, I'm not sure that I actually know what the score is. But DC United is winning, no?

Posted by: mannewskie | August 29, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I-270, figured it was something like that. That's awful. Who asked, Bretos or Sullivan?

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Guadalajar and Pachuca tied at 2.

Posted by: mannewskie | August 29, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

United is playing one of the dirtier games I have seen in a long time.

Posted by: fischy | August 29, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching via atdhe.net, mannewskie. 1-0 DCU at 60.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Moreno in for gomez as asked...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Gassed Gomex goes off for hopefully fresh Jaime.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh Olsen so close.......

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

good sub. next off olsen

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Reignking, I love you. Thanks.

Posted by: mannewskie | August 29, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Neither ReignKing. It was the third moron from the sideline.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow that would have been an amazing goal....

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 29, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow busch lucky to save that!

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Olsen needs to come out, and bring in Wallace.

Posted by: alan19 | August 29, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

1. simms is great to have back...
2. namoff showing a lot of heart and skill tonight
3. we are too old and cant afford those salaries for half games from these guys. as much as we love them

doh Emilio!!! almost...goal

4. szetela...the whole thing seems weird...when on the field for us (pitch), he has looked great.

Posted by: wordup1 | August 29, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

My favorite stupid Bretos comment from last week...saying how Bianca would love Paris if Landon went to PSG.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

they have possession u idiot stott. continuation........

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Olsen needs to go off. Permanently. Burch adds more to DCU than he does.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

olsen should already have a red by now. he is too slow always late thats why the ball is always gone when he gets there late

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Q off for Pontius. Good riddance.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

mapp just showed why he is a bench warmer

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

what the hell was that crap from EmiliSLo?!?!

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 29, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Fred is really good at dribbling east-west, losing the ball, and shirt grabbing.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Namoff is the best player on our team.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

namoff, jacko, emilio, fred, james, simms and gomez good game so far

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Is Ron actually Szetela?

Wallace coming in for Fred.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

So calling out our lousy players crappy play makes me Szetela? Whatever.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

James and Jako look good in a 442..James is playing with some gusto....

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Emilio has won a single header. Am I wrong?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

will sullivan shut up.

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Dmitrov with a dive.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh James w/ a foul 19 out...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

hate these situations

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 29, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Geez...fat on a fire player and they'd go done...

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 29, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Blanco ran 30 yards to take that kick...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

That is the fourth or fifth dive Vaughn has fallen for. He is the classic definition of an MLS official. I give the MLS one thing they are consistent.

Posted by: no_recess | August 29, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | August 29, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Olsen with a DREADFUL failed clear right upo the middle to chicago.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

What the heck was that clearance Olsen?

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

get burch off the field for good

Posted by: castroviejo | August 29, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh crap...Wicks and Burch fighting...this is ugly...

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Wicks and Burch at each others throat. This is absurd.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I am too lazy to do my own research so does anyone have any idea what Szetela did to piss off Soehn so much?

And did Michael Bradley really get fired from borussia monghalsdfnsdbach?

And if Bakary Soumare develops into a top notch international player would he be eligible to get US citizenship and play for us or has he already been cap tied to his home nation?

And wtf just happened with wicks and burch?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

wow. Wicks and burch going at it. I have never like the way Wicks talks to defenders.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

What was Wicks so fired up about? thought Burch should've stayed w/ that man? Nice of Blanco to blow that ball in.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wicks needs to cut that nonsense out. He had no right to get in Burch's face like that.

Posted by: no_recess | August 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

DC is 1 for August.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 29, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

pete: we don't know, just 1 game, Soumare has played WCQs for Mali I believe so no, and Wicks who knows

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Wicks was really shaken -- he kept bobbling the ball. that was weird. At least we got the 3.

Posted by: Reignking | August 29, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow! We got three points.

Posted by: no_recess | August 29, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

wow, times like this i miss perkins...

Posted by: wordup1 | August 29, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Chicago was completely inept in their attacking third.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

He should get in Burch's face..someone needs to kick this defense in the butt...

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 29, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Really? So a keeper and a defender show they're fired up and its absurd? But when we lose, its because nobody on this team "has heart?" They cant win.

If you wanna be pissed off with this team, you will be, no matter what.

Posted by: KThashi | August 29, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Namoff named FSC MOTM. Good choice.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

peteywheatstraw,

We don't know what happened with Szetela.

Bradley was in the dog house with management of Moenchengladbach for dissent. Anything else... I'm not seeing in Der Kicker.

Soumare is cap-tied to Mali.

Wicks... Burch... Well.

Posted by: B_A_ | August 29, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Agree S-T-E. How anyone could be upset that Wicks so obviously cares, I dont understand.

And I'm not necessarily a fan of Wicks.

Posted by: KThashi | August 29, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll go to bed happy tonight, regardless of the drama. Three points - we needed it after the pathetic month that we've had.

Posted by: mannewskie | August 29, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Wicks kicking some ass, anything to keep that D awake (especially at such a key time). Burch should have just walked away. Anyway they'll either hug it out or Wicks will simply kick Burch's a** - in any case we got 3 points on the road...say it with me again, 3 POINTS ON THE ROAD.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 29, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't pretty but they fought like hell and I'll take that anyday....

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 29, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

The passion is good, but you also gotta be able to control it a little bit. Wicks was so worked up he couldn't hang onto the ball.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 29, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Three points on the ROAD!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 29, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

KThashi: A keeper and his own defender come to blows. Yes, absurd. Would you have liked it even better if Wicks had kicked him in the teeth? In case u didn't notice, we almost gave up the winning goal because those two bozos forgot who they play for and were busy fighting each other.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 29, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to figure out what's so great about Szetela. The kid goes backwards 90& of the time, loses the ball way too much, cannot carry or shoot the ball, and apparently has an attitude.

Posted by: wis193 | August 29, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wis193 | August 29, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

3 Points Yes!!!!

Thank you Wicks! but I asked for a punch in the face not just stern talking to burch.

Lets get all the burch lovers out here to defend him! Lets talk about his great crosses and hard (inaccurate) shots! Please defend burch! I can't wait to hear this.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | August 29, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Also, Todd Grisham works for WWE and hosts FSC games. What a joke.

Posted by: wis193 | August 29, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Ok Ron16 you've convinced me. I wish they would just play as normal because that usually works out well.

Posted by: KThashi | August 29, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

All would be well with Burch if he still played forward like he did at UMD.

Posted by: wis193 | August 29, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Burch (and to be fair, the rest of our D) has a nasty history of shutting off at key times in games - if it takes a Wicks slap-around to wake him the F up then so be it. Yes it was emotional and yes there was pressure, but Wicks had to give his D a talking to, heck he even gave James some lovin' too.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Great game! The effort and intensity was there for 90+mins!! I don't know what to make of the Wicks/Burch incident.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Wicks is a fool and needs to calm down. You cant run up into a mans face like that. Anyways, this was a great performance.

This should be our starting eleven here on out and that should be our game plan here on out. We actually look formidable all night. James is a breath of fresh air.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

At least there was some fire and intensity from DC at the end. Its what we needed.

Posted by: spikeman | August 29, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Just let it go everybody. Nothing to see here... Our two guys were under fire in a critical heated game! Thats all...Its like it never even really happened...No big deal. We got the win and the shut out on the road. Now we can create some momentum with a win for some silverwear at home!

Posted by: alan19 | August 29, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

btw, how did nodbody here notice that the only reason wicks grabbed burch was because burch swiped him in the neck with his arm while trying to push him away?

Posted by: wis193 | August 29, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spikeman | August 29, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Soehn just said that Wicks and Burch were hugging it out in the locker room - forcast, Burch delivers their love child approx. 9 months from now - here's hoping the little bundle of ugly has a choice between an MLS and Open cup to play with...

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 29, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Wicks doesn't talk to his defense, he screams at them - and always has. I'm surprised one of them didn't go after him. Instead, Wicks goes after one of them. Demeaning the guys that are working to help you get a clean sheet is not a good strategy.

Posted by: b18bolo | August 29, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Burch is a Terp and scored the game winning goal when they won the national championship a few years back so I will never be able to hate Burch but I never trusted a guy who spells mark, marc.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 29, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Man of the Match for a DC United fan coulda gone to Blanco for his spectacularly inept freekicks but I'll be a traditionalist and give it to Namoff.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 29, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

For our brothers who are coming down hard on Wicks--you guys know that a keeper is supposed to get on his defense. Sometimes you gotta get in you teamate's face.

We needed a win tonight in the worst way. Seriously. If Burch lost his mark--it's injury time and we needed 3 points--if Wicks has got to holler at him for Burch to keep his concentration up then so be it.
It was Burch who pushed Wicks. Not the other way around.

But like I was telling my wife who was watching with me, this dustup could be one of those "catalyst" or "turning point" type of moments> I'm not saying that it definitely will be but what I am saying is that we might be looking back in November saying "wow, remeber when it looked liked Wicks and Burch were going to come to blows?!?! Man, They really tightened up in the back after that and they were almost unbeatable in MLS."

Then again, maybe not. But sometimes stuff like that melee become something very positive, even if they look negative in the beginning.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 29, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I love how people feel like they can blame Soehn for the Szetela saga when they have absolutely zero inside information on what has happened. I'm definitely giving Soehn the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

Everyone was committed this game, it was great to see. It wasn't pretty, but we got the result and kept a clean sheet.

I don't make much of the Wicks-Burch situation. In fact, I like it. Wicks needs to command his line; on the free kick he kept SCREAMING at his defense to push up and Burch didn't do it.

Gomez had another mediocre game. When Jaime came in for him we held possession a lot better.

Julius James was great for us, in my opinion he was MOTM.

3 POINTS ON THE ROAD BABY YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by: GoUnited | August 29, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Family Movie Night for Team Doc ("Remember the Titans").

What was the score?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 29, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 29, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

wow, nobody asking for Coach Soehn's resignation tonight?

-GREAT team defense, love seeing Emilio/Pontius/Fred pressuring the ball up front

-Simms is solid. He even passed the ball forward 3 times today!

-Let's win the US Open Cup next week!

Posted by: sevnshvn | August 29, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice win by United.

I still think we need an explanation on the Szetela situation -- this is ridiciulous.

The team admits it isn't deep enough to compete in MLS and CCL at the same time, and yet they bring in this guy and then he is essentially banned by the team and the FO stays silent.

That is BS.

Posted by: roadkit | August 29, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Wicks was actually temporarilly insane. He forgot that a game was going on for a few seconds. I'm not saying Wicks should be suspended or anything but he needs to chill.

I've never liked it when keepers yell in anger to the defenders.

I have NEVER respected ANYBODY who yells at me. Scream instructions, direction or encouragement at me but not in anger...especially in public.

I think Wicks owes Burch an apology. If somebody yells at me then apologizes, I can respect that.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 29, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Wick's is a punk.

He yelled at James, who was on the ground, before the incident with Burch. And James, who almost put in an own goal can be seen yelling back.

Burch didn't lose his mark on the following play, either. Wick's misread the cross and left himself hanging.

I understand wanting to be the leader, but Wicks' behavior was pathetic.

Posted by: delantero | August 29, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

All would be well with Burch if he still played forward like he did at UMD. Posted by: wis19

>>All would be well if he would learn to use his right foot.

Posted by: delantero | August 29, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying he is wRong, but I disagree with just about all of a certain 16 year old's posts.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

John Harkes just referred to Milan/Inter as the "other derby" of the day (LA/Chivas). That's funny

Or maybe he was taking about Forest/Derby

Posted by: Kev29 | August 29, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Wicks hollered at James for making a superb play. The same play vs. Toluca didn't work out so well, obviously. Maybe he had a flashback or something. Wicks is an odd one, even for a goalie.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 29, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

"Nice win by United."

It was a win, let's not go crazy. Still too many simple giveaways and players playing rushed when a simple outlet would suffice.

How many times did we send the ball 50 yards when a 20-30 yard pass would have done just fine? Our backs (Burch) need to calm down and find the right pass.

Fred was good, but he needs to be a 1-2 touch player more often, and less a 4-6 touch player.

Posted by: delantero | August 29, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I often found that you're really not great friends until you have a real knock down drag out. Scarred tissue is tougher than the virgin stuff.

That being said. I toast to the first 3 points I've seen in ages and to new friends!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 29, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I still want Soehn gone.

It took him 3/4ths of the season to realize we didn't have the required personnel for a 3-5-2 to be efficient.

Glad that he finally went with a 4-4-2, must have read my post at the beginning of this page... haha.

So how many starters will he rest on Wednesday for that oh so important match at Dallas?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 30, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Kev: if Harkes said it, you mean "darby".

999: yeah, "temporarily insane" is right.

Posted by: Reignking | August 30, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Goff has some stuff on his twitter.

Posted by: Reignking | August 30, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

It took DCU 3/4ths of a season to find a capable 4th defender.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 30, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

You would think the team lost with some of these comments. We won guys! This is the best DC United has looked since early July, so hopefully we carry that momentum into the Open Cup Final.

Guess what else... We're in the playoffs now! 32 points = 7th place

Posted by: DCUMD | August 30, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

GoG, they'd have been alright with Namoff, Janiki, Jakovic, Burch. It's better with James, and would be better still with Habarugira on the left, but it's getting there.

I knew trying to play Benny on the flank with Banner would be a bad idea, which they quickly abandoned for a 4-5-1. Would have been nice to have Szetela to play at RM...

Another thing I've heard about Szetela btw, may be a dust-up with Burch in practice, which is why Burch sported that shiner a few weeks back. Judging from Burch's tiff with Wicks tonight, perhaps the blame for the previous fisticuffs shouldn't lay solely on Szetela... of course that's all just baseless speculation, but that's why we're all here.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 30, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Goff has some stuff on his twitter.

Posted by: Reignking |
*******************************

There is more in his article, which has been posted

Posted by: emanon13 | August 30, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

...nice of harkes to give a shout out to "maryland university" players on the galaxy. This would be more excusable if he didn't play at UVA and face UMD twice a season. They are in the same conference. Maybe it's a dig, but either way, I never trusted him when he showed up talking like Anthony Hopkins after playing one season in the UK.

Posted by: wordup1 | August 30, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse