Matchnight: United-Firpo

Greetings from San Salvador my family room at Insider World Headquarters In An Undisclosed Location Frequented by Dick Cheney.

TV: Fox Soccer Channel.

One MLS team is already out of the Champions League (Toronto ousted by Puerto Rico tonight), now it's DCU's turn to try to reach the group stage. United needs an outright victory, a tie with at least two goals, or a 1-1 draw that it wins in extra time or PKs.

Can you say 3-5-2? (again)

DCU: Wicks; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Quaranta, Olsen, Wallace, Gomez, Fred; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, John, Janicki, McTavish, Jacobson, Szetela, Pontius. (Allen and DiRaimondo not in uniform.)

Your thoughts are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  August 4, 2009; 10:08 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alonso, Altidore, Wambach
Next: United Rewind

Comments

Who put Burch in his place and left a mark?

Posted by: sitruc | August 4, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

whatsup with the shiner burch has. makes him look tough

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | August 4, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Insert FSC/box office conspiracy comment here?

Posted by: Section117 | August 4, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

good luck dc. it is a long trip.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 4, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

So how far in the doghouse is N'Silu?

Posted by: jason1551 | August 4, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

"Ka-reem Ben-zay-ma"

Awesome. I'm disappointed I don't know Firpo's player's names so I can cringe when he butcher's those.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I really wish I could see the shiner on Burch.

We better win this damn game. We certainly aren't taking any chances with the full squad.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Emilio playing some defense? That benching worked.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

can't stand the voice of bretos and dunseth.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 4, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

MORENO IS SO SLOW

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Contrary to what dingbat Bretos says, this had been a good start for United. Better posession and two half decent chances. We're better than they are, just have to prove it.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@kev29 - word

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Shut the f*ck up Bretos, they have not been "the better team". What a knob.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

We're not paying Jakovic enough. Whatever it is.

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Potentially a whole game without a reference to Gattuso.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I might actually have to watch this on mute.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Wallace doing a good job covering the entire field.

That allows Benny to be the lagniappe.

I'm not feeling this ref at all....

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Why not play a 3-5-2? Don't we need two goals?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 4, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

with Gomez out there do we have any choice but 3-5-2?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 4, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Is there a Bretos to English on bablefish?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I think Pontius might help us tonight

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

However Soehn modifies the 3-5-2 he uses...it SUCKS.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 4, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

ok, dum question: is the match on radio tonight?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 4, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Paging Christian Gomez, please pick up the white coutesy phone. Your presence is requested.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is no one running off the ball again? It's almost like if the players aren't directly involved in the play they don't seem to care at all.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 4, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

"Ka-reem Ben-zee-ma"

Seriously!?!?!?

Two times, two different pronounciations, neither correct!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

So where can I watch the game online? My cable is out

Posted by: doctortechie | August 4, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

is it me or is the team slowly starting to get worse?

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Why not play a 3-5-2? Don't we need two goals?

Posted by: joshuaostevens
------------------------

Nope just 1 goal needed. Unless they score 1. Then we need 2.

Posted by: dyermaker001 | August 4, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

At least we don't have to listen to Christopher Sullivan call Jakovic a "classic leee-berr-ooooo"

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I love burch with a passion

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

2 handballs in 4 games in the box. Unreal.

Posted by: Section117 | August 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Tart

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

This line-up makes no sense once again, 2-d mids that haven't played side by side in months and the slowest attacking options possible. Burch has been awful.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Or they score 1, then we score 1 and it goes to ET.

Posted by: dyermaker001 | August 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

That was a complete stop.

Horrible.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Time to chop their number 10 in half

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh that was crap.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

DCU: Invest in duct tape to secure the defenders arms at their sides.

And that PK was so illegal, but Wicks left his line. Should have been a retake.

Posted by: mason08 | August 4, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but if we can't even beat an El Salvador substitute team then Soehn has to go. We are a bigger club then just being satisfied winning the US Open Cup. If are management and owners don't think so then maybe I need to stop spending my money on their product until they get it in line.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 4, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

He, umm, stopped.

Burch is a calamity.

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Get in!!!!!!!!!!

Eat it Bretos!

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Great goal now tell burch to go sit down and bring in a man to play defense

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

GOMITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU JUST F'N KNEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

burch has been an abomination all season. he has cost us 3-4 games on his own.

he needs to go.

he needs to go.

he cant defend
he is slow
and he is a horrible marker.

he cant cross
he has no skills
none

horrible
horrible

Posted by: castroviejo | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Gomito!

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Now we need 1. Or it goes to PKs and we can win there.

Posted by: dyermaker001 | August 4, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOLMEEEZZZ!

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Haha, the announcers were right about that being a massive ten yards given to DC, but Gomez took advantage of it. Let's do this thing. Vamos United!

Posted by: Hobes | August 4, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Still time to destroy their penalty taker. Seriously, i'd reenact the entire tournament scene from the Karate Kid on that guy for showing up my keeper like that.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

wow, stare down the ref and throw the ball away....sounds like a great way to get your point across.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for an online link to watch it on the 'net. Anyone?

Posted by: doctortechie | August 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

can we please see Pontius for Fred at the start of the second?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Stupid yellow, Jakovic.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Ha.Ref definitely gave closer to 15yards. Sloppy game but I probably give Firpo the edge in terms of performance.

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hobes

===

Referee ProTip: March out a "long" ten. By the time you're in position and ready to play, the wall will have crept up to a true ten.

Posted by: mason08 | August 4, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

oh no - Cheney! - now we know what was delaying Mr. Goff. I hope his "interrogation techniques" about Firpo didn't hurt too terribly bad.

Posted by: diego_r | August 4, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssdesv | August 4, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED!!! Great goal by Gomez. As soon as I saw where it was I knew he'd go right. One of the better free kick takers I've seen picking out the right side even when the ball is more right than left.

The penalty was awful. He. Stopped.

Posted by: CYork1 | August 4, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

WE ARE SUCH A DRAMA TEAM!!!!!!!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Every time the ref has blown his whistle, I wonder what he might call.

I won't say he's been awful, or one sided, but I haven't a clue what he might call.

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Try that doctortechie.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | August 4, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Bookmark channelsurfing.net

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@doctortechie

www.justin.tv

search for "Firpo"

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 4, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

For the subs, bring on Szetela for Fred. He has been useless, at least Szetela can pass.

Pontius on for whoever is looking less dangerous in the second half.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Jagdeosingh is apparently a Spanish name now - Yagdeosing. Is that Dunseth?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Burch and Fred are killing them. Way too many turnovers. Sometimes I wonder about the intellignece of some of United's players. Burch and Fred have made mistakes that grade schoolers know better than to do.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 4, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I am saying we advance. It was a legit PK call but no matter what we have the worst refereeing in the world in our region. Plus half of the Firpo goes looking for a foul everytime. I have learned to not get angry and just laugh.

Can we please just finish!?

Overall, relatively even half. Both team created well.

Max Bretos, I can't even understand you. I think he has a deep seated hatred towards DC United. DC must have cut a relative of his at some point this lifetime.

Also, I preferred the TFC Islanders game because on my tv FSC botched the sound and most of it was in silent. I just hummed to add the the atmosphere of a silent tv. It was better than listening to Kieth Cognistan. MMmm... maybe thats what I will do second half.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 4, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Burch and Fred are always killing the team. at least Burch is good for picking a fight with an international star once in a while.

and I'm not sure I've ever seen a more clear demonstration of an illegal PK. way to go again CONCACAF officiating.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 4, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

270:

Dunseth does insist on the soft j ("yogging") pronunciation. It's not as bad as Bretos tonight, who is apparently watching some other DCU-Firpo match that I never saw.

***

Neither of these teams can defend (at least tonight, anyway). This is going to be stressful.

Firpo's penalty definitely should have been retaken. Le stopped dead in his tracks, which is a violation. Unlike players being in the box or keepers leaving their line, it's one that usually gets called. However, it doesn't take away the likelihood of the retake going in, and it also doesn't cover for Burch's mistake. Why are our players jumping for headers with their arms up? That's not a coaching thing; I mean, if Soehn has to tell them to not do that, he probably also has to tell them literally everything they ever do (I'm even including breathing, circulating blood, and other involuntary traits).

This game is there for the taking, but Firpo can say the same thing thanks to our speed disadvantage at the back. Hopefully, we can get control of the ball and get back to how we started the game.

One more thing: Does that grass look extra long to anyone else, or is it just me?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 4, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I question their intelligence and I can't even spell the word right. :)

Posted by: croftonpost | August 4, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

For:
I'm still waiting for an online link to watch it on the 'net. Anyone?

Posted by: doctortechie | August 4, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

You can access free internet video at:
-- scroll down, and click on the first DC United link for english broadcast.

Good luck!

Posted by: Ben-is-the-best | August 4, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, CONCACAF referreeing. Nuttin' like it.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 4, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Fred's been okay if not spectacular, he played a ball in earlier in the half that shouldve been converted by either Moreno or Emilio.

If theres anyone who needs to come off its prob. wallace... who just had a nice short pass right to Firpo feet, followed by a foul that shouldve been called for a free kick.

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

emilio has the touch of a hoofed animal.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

We're looking a bit ragged at the moment. Wake up guys

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"Ka-reem" Ben-zae-ma"

Oh, we're so close!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 4, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Is there a concacaf equivalent to the UEFA cup that we can play in instead?

I think the 4th or 5th placed team from the Newfoundland Premiership or Hatian Ligue ! might be better competition.

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Party Boy for Jaime, please

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Gomito, almost

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

WALLACE ON FRAME! WALLACE ON FRAME!

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

how about fred comes out for pontius?

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Fred is ca-ca

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@Chest - I noticed the same thing about the long grass.

That's the first time Rodney Wallace has ever put a long shot on target. Nice. He's looked good tonight.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 4, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Which one is Wallace's least favorite left foot?

Posted by: addick | August 4, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

A special offer for our Twitter friends: A ticket to both Real Madrid & the Open Cup final - all for $60: http://www.dcunited.com/60

Posted by: sitruc | August 4, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

For the love of God, stop saying "Fairpo"!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

DC's passing is shocking....

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Though the grass does look to be a foot long...

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

remind me why they didnt sell Emilio when some rubes in Mexico wanted him in the off season?

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for someone to pole-axe their #10

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

How does Fred get so much criticism and Santino doesn't??

I can't see the difference, other than Fred is involved more...

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

gosh moreno is annoying to watch

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

put in on frame!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Is Olsen even on the field?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 4, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh no Wallace...after great effort from Emilio and Moreno.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Jaime is gassed. Pontius? Please?

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 4, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

uh oh...watch it Weird Al Jakovic...

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

bring in pontius for either moreno or fred

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Ben has done alright, cept for a few errant passes.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Cmon! Put one of these in!

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

There should be an edit button.

and that is the best pass Burch will make.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Moreno out, Pontius in

Posted by: addick | August 4, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

hahah what a whiff

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"Rare mistake by the #4"

Why does Bretos insist on trying to convince everyone that Firpo are any good??

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Jaime wears a mouth guard?

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: TassieTiger

Jaime had braces just a year or so ago, I believe.

Posted by: JkR- | August 4, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

If Jaime had braces...

I wouldn't feel so badly about having braces as an adult.

Posted by: B_A_ | August 4, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Superman!!!

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Where did Benny go?

Posted by: Dancy1 | August 4, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

This ref sure loves his whistle.

Posted by: tundey | August 4, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Does Firpo mean flopping Fish...

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Does Burch have a shiner under his right eye?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

How'd I miss the braces? Man, you think you know someone....

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29: Yup

Posted by: addick | August 4, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I have a serious question, no jokes but do some teams practice diving before games? you see it alot in concacaf and sometimes even with 1 or 2 of our players? I don't think United has that on there practice schedule (or else everyone would do it), but it seems like lots of players know exactly how to do it.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is useless outside the penalty box.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Pontius showed well for himself on that one

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 4, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Tino grimacing as he came off

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Great ball from Pontius

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring this up, but does anyone remember that team that destroyed Celtic in the friendly a few years ago. What the hell has happened since then? My DC United are like a slow train wreck of a franchise since then in every facet.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 4, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Santino? WTF...So Gomez or Benny have to go the distance...

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we should've won this by now. I'm out.

Posted by: Reignking | August 4, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

The safety blanket?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 4, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I think their pitch is long and hay-like to give the Firpo players something nice to fall on.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Fred just took dejan out of the game on that play.man this is kind of depressing

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 4, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The train wrecked along time ago, we're just watching the clean-up crew take away the bodies.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 4, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

"#1 ranked Barcelona"

Is that the AP or Coaches poll, FSC?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

@dpowellutkedu: Celtic was in the worst pre-season shape possible. Too much fish and chips and beer. That DC team was full of reserves. It was nice to watch, but no way was that an outstanding DC lineup.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Great effort by Jacobson

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

whoa.. who was that?

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 5, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't so much talking about that night in particular, but that team in general. It was fun to watch.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 5, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

that was terrifying.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 5, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

that was exciting!

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 5, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame DCU for their recent international failures.

The way MLS is set up with roster sizes, salaries, etc., MLS teams just can't compete in multiple tournaments and the MLS regular / postseason.

What a team needs to do at the beggining of the season is to decide what they want to try and win (league, open cup, champions league, etc.) and concentrate on the one. If another tournament comes up (ie: open cup) - lose immediately.

Until MLS expands its rosters and increases salaries, it is just impossible to have the depth to compete in all of these competitions. For all practical purposes, if DC loses tonight, it will advance its position in terms of winning the Open Cup and perhaps making a run in MLS.

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

We need to draw a PK

Posted by: DCUMD | August 5, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Tired players are tired. (So am I)...

Posted by: Hobes | August 5, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

does anyone else feel that PKs are not what we should go for? We need to score 1 goal, we have 15 minutes.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm certainly not satisfied with DCU's performance in recent seasons either, but I don't think I would go so far as to call it a train wreck... now, seasons 2000-2003, that was a train wreck! Or maybe a plane crash...that hit the earth and kept on going straight down to the planet's molten outer core...

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

They're not playing for PKs. Doing their best to attack, force a mistake, etc. Same thing for Firpo. In that respect, it's been a decent match.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 5, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

no one touched him and the REF, man concacaf again

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

What?! This match is definitely going to PKs if the ref is going to call a foul any time either team has a potential scoring chance.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 5, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

What a bunch of diving, cheating p*ssies

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

It's Burchie-bomb time!

Posted by: DCUMD | August 5, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

lololol Bretos just said it's been a very well officiated match! That guy is the best.

Posted by: Hobes | August 5, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Bretos: the match "has been very well officiated"
Takes a hack to know one, I guess

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

OK, now you play for PKs

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 5, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Good tackle, Fred. Like it

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

lol Fred. The perfect ending to his horrible night.

Posted by: Dancy1 | August 5, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Fred is dead (to me)

I hope he leaves DCU sooner rather than later

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I'd say the ref has been fair, he just doesn't call the kind of game I (or others apparently) like to see. I don't think he's one sided, just overly involved and susceptible to players drama.

Posted by: JkR- | August 5, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

That's the most cynical foul I've seen from a DC player in a long time. Fred lost the ball easily and then completely tried to take out the other team's player. DCU should suspend him for disrepute to the team.

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

"Firpo looks fresher"

maybe that's 'cause they've spent so much time lying down tonight.

Posted by: sec133row5 | August 5, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

At least he kicked the sh*t out of someone on his way out. Doesn't hurt us at all, really.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

To be fair Firpo knows what will fool the Ref and United does not.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Fred and Gomito always seem like they're close to boiling over to me. I feel like Fred did something similar back in his rookie year with DCU but can't recall any specifics. Anyone remember anything or am I just imagining things?

Posted by: Hobes | August 5, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Go to hell, Fred.

Posted by: mason08 | August 5, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

excluding Benitez, you mean

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 5, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I agree jkr- I'm not saying he's favored one team over the other on purpose... he's just not a very good ref in my opinion. Hardly the most egregious example of CONCACAF officiating, but the region still needs better officials.

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Pontius is a man made for pressure. Not often do you see a rookie take the first shot in a shootout.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 5, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Nice work, youngsters

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

5 sweet pks so far

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 5, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Everyone is striking these penalties with gusto.... and as I type this we get a break, a bit too much "gusto" on that one

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Are they hitting them with their laces?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

yes i was wrong

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Gomito!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Whew.

Posted by: mason08 | August 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Gomito!!! Wow, that was cutting it close

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

VICTORY!!!!!!!!

totally worth the wait.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

yes gomito, man a victory feels good no matter what...

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Are you watching
Are you watching
Are you watching Engerland?

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Those were 5 great PKs by DCU!!

Posted by: PhillyMLS | August 5, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Buenas noches amigos.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

good night everyone, i can sleep happy now..yes

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

"#1 ranked Barcelona"

Is that the AP or Coaches poll, FSC?

===

AFP.

Posted by: mason08 | August 5, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

vamos United!

Five for five finishing on penalty kicks and a win (sort of) in Central America!

Hope Simms is back for the next round of games.

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

great PK technique...and I am glad I did not rely on the DVR for this one...

Posted by: Pedalada | August 5, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

awesome awesome awesome

Posted by: rockotodd | August 5, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

So, we're in Group B - Marathon, Toluca, and either San Juan Jabloteh (I love the name, btw) or San Francisco

I know we've faced Marathon before, but my memory is hazy... anyone remember the details?

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Vamos!! Man, the last 45 minutes of that were UGGGGLY, but the shootout was glorious! Of course, I am now considering my reward for this is six more games watching our backups play against a bunch of divers, but it still feels goooooood!

Posted by: the_slammer | August 5, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Great PK selection!

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | August 5, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

5 great pks. not impressed with wicks on pks.

win

now we need to get rid of burch. worst player on the field burch.

olsen worse game of season too.

he cant go more than 70. and a crappy 70 tonite.

Posted by: castroviejo | August 5, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Concacaf dropped PUMA for NIKE...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 5, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Alright, I have to be up in less than 3 hours.

Vamos United, Sleep Well, Dream Better.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

alright, we'll take it.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 5, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

the-slammer

you are so right about the diving its not even funny.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Ha, Ha!

This is no time to get rid of players unless we have some exchange program with Real Madrid I haven't heard of.

Nice PKs by everyone. I thought Olsen was the weak link but he got it done like a veteran. When's the last time we won in penalties - New England in the 2004 Eastern Final?

I thought DC was looking like the stronger team until about 7 or 8 minutes of the 1st overtime when it looked like they blew a gasket, ran out of gas, got flat tires, and were pulled over for a DUI without their drivers licenses or proof of insurance.

I'll sleep well tonight!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 5, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Regardless how mediocre the play was at times, they at least displayed heart tonight. I was wondering if this team had any heart. Felling much better than last week. A win is a win is a win. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | August 5, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

DC lost to Marathon last 29 October, 4-2, at RFK in front of a paltry crowd. DC drew two red cards, with Doe and Quaranta tossed before the end of the first half.

Posted by: bartapest1 | August 5, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

So basically two games a week from now until the playoffs (knocks on wood). Better hope we get Simms and, shudder, N'Silu back healthy.

I still feel a lot better about our backups in CCL this year than I did last year.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 5, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the refresher on the Marathin match, bartapest... that sounds awful, I must have repressed the traumatic memory. I hope the guys are fired up for a chance at revenge.

Posted by: ricky_b | August 5, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't the Marathon game at RFK the only one that Franco Niell scored a goal in?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 5, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

1. DC kind of looks old. Granted, that was a hectic travel schedule. Can we hold up the rest of the season to make a run at all these trophies getting about 55 good minutes from several players on our squad.

2. ...not sure about that formation for DC. 3-5-2

3. Wicks kind of scares me. I miss perkins. or even rimando for that matter...

4. I think this is the last season fred will be here?

5. MLS needs to raise the salary cap. I am not sure why the league wouldn't love to have a man city style crazed spending spree. And if there is a dynasty, so what? Americans love dynasties (49ers in the 80's and 90's), jordans bulls, tiger woods, the bush and kennedy clans, etc.

6. Widen the fields just a bit. or is that just my tv.

7. Maybe Quaranta is tired, but he did not have the same kind of come back from national duty that I thought he would. Has looked great at times and then others...

8. United should stay in RFK. Lower the ticket prices for the upper tiers and be a sell out. I'm talking maybe once or twice a season have 5 dollar tickets or something, but keep it affordable and hopefully full. At any rate, we don't need a new stadium. Lets just play in RFK with all of that collective history ('skins, u2 concerts, gnr/metallica, hfstivals, etc...) free concerts set up in the corner for halftime. I'm sure there are tons of bands/acts who would love the publicity and gladly set up. Well, not sure about the sound...but...it could be done. You know two 10 minute acts. boom boom, thats it. Or just a dj with an ipod. whatever..

...just don't play any music during the game like NFL or NBA. How fake and lame is that??? Ugh, going to those games can be so annoying with all of the prompts and chants and hip hop or whatever played during the nba. nothing against any particular type of music, but the game should be enough on its own.

...thats all i got....

GREAT WIN though, feels good to get over some hurdles no matter how uggggly it looked at times. sometimes you just need to dig in and win...nice work.

Posted by: wordup1 | August 5, 2009 5:17 AM | Report abuse

Several questions about the "grass": it looked to me like artificial turf which has been used for awhile.Otherwise,there would have been divots after slides but I never saw one. Am I correct?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | August 5, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse