Matchnight: United-Toluca

Greetings from RFK.

Champions League group play continues with United's second of six matches. After falling at Marathon last week, this one at home is critical and will likely set the tone for the club's approach to future Champions League games this fall.

Kickoff: 8 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura.

Pregame news: The Insider has learned that DCU is close to signing its first player from the club's youth system: goalkeeper Abdul "Bill" Hamid, an 18-year-old from Annandale, Va. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Hamid has been exploring European opportunities and nearly joined Glasgow Celtic last year but was thwarted by work permit issues. He told The Post this summer that a few other foreign clubs were interested in him, but now he's in the late stages of negotiations with United. A few issues remain unresolved, I'm told. United has been without a third goalie on the senior roster since releasing Louis Crayton two months ago.

More pregame news: Raul Diaz Arce has beaten out former teammate Richie Williams for induction into the club's Hall of Tradition. Former radio announcer Danilo Noel Diron, who passed away last year, will also be honored. The ceremony will take place at halftime of the Sept. 12 league match against Seattle.

The lineup and subs later.....
DCU: Wicks; Habarugira, James, John; Allen, McTavish, Simms, Jacobson, Burch; Pontius, Moreno. Subs: Kocic, Namoff, Fred, Gomez, Shipalane, Quaranta, Emilio. (Olsen, Wallace and Jakovic get the day off; no Szetela again.) UPDATE: It's actually a 4-4-2 with Burch and James in the middle.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  August 26, 2009; 5:52 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Qualifying Update
Next: United Rewind

Comments

Ok, I was running around town today with my Olsen jersey on and I was pulling a long flatbed bicycle trailer with Edible Arrangements on it... Did you see me seein' you people with your black and red gear on?

I also ran into a couple DCU employees with one of the MLS Cups at Connecticut and Mst and I luckily had my camera and got them to snap a flick of me with the trophy! What a day! I won't make the match but I'll be watching at a neighbors or at the bar just a little bit more stoked than usual. I hope it's a sign the club is going to win tonight and next Wednesday!

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Attendance should be interesting tonight. One wonders whether Toluca has as much drawing power as Guadalajara/America/Pachuca...

Posted by: Juan-John | August 26, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Richie Williams was terrible. He shouldn't be elected into the Hall of Tradition. Glad to see Diaz Arce got the nod.

Posted by: GoUnited | August 26, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Come big or stay home........I agree tonight's efforts and results will go far in determining the outlook on the rest of the tourney. And at some level, the rest of the year. Much like last year.
I expect a first eleven line-up and will be disappointed with anything else. It's time to walk the walk.

Posted by: marksman37 | August 26, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------Wicks-------------------------
---Hab-------------James--------------John-----
----------Simms-----------Jacobson------------
--McTavish-------Allen--------------Burch-----
-------------Party----------Jaime------------------

????

Burch as a left winger? I guess our speed problems won't magically be solved tonight...and the continued reliance on the 3-5-2 is absolutely mystifying.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 26, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Burch is there so that they can, at half or the 60 minute mark or whenever, switch to a four man back line if necessary and put Fred on the left.

Or at least that's my guess. Someone ask Chest.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

It would be sporting of Toluca to play their reserves as well

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

OK I am officially disappointed. Unless Toluca also takes this lightly and throws out a bunch or 20k/yr players. Sigh.....

Posted by: marksman37 | August 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

the_slammer - it might not be that horror you are envisioning

DC's website is showing the line up as a 4-4-2 (with Burch in the back)

Posted by: emanon13 | August 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Danny Szetela must have pulled a knife on a ballboy, or something. Wow!

Posted by: hoyanick1 | August 26, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the only people at Toluca making 20k a year are the janitors.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I usually don't care about lineups...but wow this is awful.

Szetela is obvious being rested.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Shipilane's already with the club? And Hamid soon to follow? Someone's going to have to go....I guess Janicki will be the first to go (sorry, Greg). N'Silu later. Maybe a third player...Allen or Szetela? Goff -- we ned to know. What the heck did young Danny S. do to so royally tee off the coaches?

By the way -- I'm thrilled that Hamid is in the fold. I look forward to a long run with him in goal in years to come.

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Do we have any other kids that have the potential to sign pro deals? I think it's a big step for the club that this is starting.

And Janicki not in the 18 tonight could show us that his time in black and red is up.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Toluca fans are tough they're booing the ball boys

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Should have played this one in Boyds

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Toluca keeper's about 5'8"

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I would switch McT to Central Defense, push Burch to wide left, and started Danny boy on the right. I don't think Soehn has a good long term memory because Burch was woeful in central defense last season. This whole Szetela thing is really pissing me off.

Posted by: no_recess | August 26, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Ver very very very bad

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

well, that was fast.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, I would say send in the subs and pack the bags, but, they're there already there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

This could get ugly. That one was on Hicks

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Look like a handball on the goal?

Posted by: Cerealman | August 26, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

100% DH error

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

that was absolutely, positively pathetic. this team is crumbling. what a joke.

Posted by: SadieV | August 26, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

What a soft goal! Both players are at fault. Habanugira shold have bodied the Toluca player off the ball and Wicks whiffed. That was pathetic. However it could be attributed to poor chemistry.

Posted by: no_recess | August 26, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

WTFH?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I know the second guy recovered to get the ball, but that Megging by Moreno was freaking sweet

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

That was a very nice ball in, but Wicks has got to be 100% on that if he's coming out. I guess that's what happens when you've got defenders in only their 2nd game with the team.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

This is rec league soccer

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Linesman has blown 3 calls in 1st 6 min

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

McTavish looks lost.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

So far Toluca is toying with United. This should end well.

Posted by: Hoost | August 26, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

is this the same linesman from saturday?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

That's the second one that linesman has missed...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I 27o, I just want you to know that the announcer is expecting top notch jokes from the number 270 tonight. And 9nine9, he's just salivating over hoping you get into the game, and Kev, he told me he's impressed with how all over the place the 29 on the insider is.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow - that wasn't close to being off. This has been a total, 16 minute joke

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Horrible officiating. Is this why I enjoy CONCACAF?

Get rid of sideline officials and have a guy with several cameras in a replay booth decide offside calls.

Posted by: Cerealman | August 26, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Somebody gets an ankle broken in this game. Calling it right now.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Allen=terrible. Already gave it away several times.

Posted by: andrew23 | August 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Remember when CONCACAF just gave up on providing match officials from the region and brought in other refs? Whatever happened to that good idea?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

This lineup reminds me of last year -- when DCU had to throw any able body out there due to injury. What is the excuse this year?

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

The worst 15 minutes of Football ever..DCU should be ashamed and Toluca not much better

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else listening (or trying to listen) to the streaming audio of the game? I keep getting a Windows Media Player error, when I've never gotten one before. No configuration changes on my end to get in the way...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 26, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Glad I have it muted so that I don't know who the offenders are.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

You think shielding and hold up play is boring to Moreno at this point?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

DC looks worse than the last time I saw them and I didn't think that was possible.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see anything positive ----at all?????

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

So far, Allen is looking terrible. And Avery John sure likes to pass it out of bounds.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

londonboy: DCU earned a corner!

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

OMG I missed a highlight

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

it's not the most attractive game, sure. but I was going to say that we're holding our own at the level Toluca is playing at least. John's going to get carded soon, and DH had his Janicki moment, but the midfield has been doing a decent job of maintaining possession and starting attacks. shame we are still missing that last pass.

and for all the bravado of the Barra, are any of them actually there? (I have a fever of a 102, so I am claiming illness)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow, nice pass outside...outside, far, wide, to the stands...

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Burundi must really suck

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Habarugira has the worst first touch I've seen since Tony Sanneh circa 1997.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

They were offsides on the first ball after the long one along the ground.

We need a code for a bad call so we don't all have to type all this. I sugest "B-S"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

You know its bad if 270 and I are despondent.

Wow, sub on in the 34th for DC.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I applaud this substitution through my computer.

"You have to assume Soehn sees something in the midfield he doesn't like"

My thought, "Yeah, Ely Allen"

Next sentence: "It's not that Ely Allen is having that bad a game"

My thought: "Yeah, it is."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Garage side linesman is horrifically bad. 2 really obviously bad offside calls. I'm also surprised that Campbell is letting stuff go, as he is usually pretty strict.

As for the game itself, it's like watching paint dry, really dull paint.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | August 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Joshuao: ? watching the same game ? mis-communications, inaccurate passing, no speed, (no interest!!!) I admire your positive attitude.

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

substitution in the 33rd minute? Wth? Just start Fred then. A substitution in the first half is so disruptive to the team. Tom Soehn is a clown

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 26, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

This is a waste of time. Is it really a good strategy to trot out scrubs who suck at home and then hope to claw back a win away?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The problem on the goal was two-fold - Wicks should have called it and the ball hit DH foot and bounced up over Wick coverage...just a new guy error

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Man, what a strike by Jozy

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

This team is sshowing no signs of going anywhere. I dont even think the players have faith anymore despite what they say in interviews

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 26, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice work Reignking. Thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. I can't see anything good happening. We can't trap. We can't pass. We can't defend. We can't protect the ball. We can't outrun Toluca. Oh, and we can't throw in.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

agreed totalfoot: maybe the szetela thing is more pervasive than just him

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Burundi must really suck

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:34 PM |

They are ranked 128th in the world. I don't think Soehn or the front office got the memo.
We've seen this type of signing quite a bit over the past 2 and a half seasons... with minimal results.

Posted by: andrew23 | August 26, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Sarcastic applause for DCs 1st SOG

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 26, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Toluca are playing like DCU on what used to be a bad night

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The talent disparaity is clearly evident. Plus Tom Soehn is being badly outcoached. I love DC, but we will be missing the playoffs once again. One has to wonder where Kevin Payne & Co. are finding of these scrubs from. Players like McTavish and Burch belong in USL. And that Ely Allen should stay in the PDL. He is crap. Szetsela is turnong out to be a bust, where is wallace and gomito. I thought these concacaf matches had some meaning to them. Play your starters.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 26, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

(Soehn halftime commentary)-"You get yourself in a position where you have to come up with some points. We decided to make a switch from our original plan of attack to adjust to what they were putting out there. When you get yourself in a hole it become a tough situation to get out of."

Posted by: inzzo79 | August 26, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Thank God I didn't go to this game. Why bother when we put this garbage lineup on the field? Obviously United doesn't care, so why should we?

And FSC sucks!!!!!!!! Replays during play, terrible announcing. Putrid.

Posted by: Hoost | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Too much hatin' on DH, that's a bam-bam play that takes an unlucky bounce off his foot. My guess is that it was poor communication between him and Wicks that led to it.

What's a real shame is that if we had the capacity to start our "A" team, we could totally take these guys. Speaking of which, does anyone know if they are playing their "A" team?

Halftime project: someone explain throw-ins to Fred.

Pontius has been pretty invisible. We need him to do something here.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

time for bed. no need to watch another half of this sub-par performance. and are we at the point where the coach being p.o.'ed at Szetela hurts the team? (yes, could be more than that, but given that it's tommy....)

Posted by: nairbsod | August 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Well now we know why Szetala isn't playing tonight. According to the FSC guy, he was given the day off...and a well deserved break it is!

I wonder if Szatela is at Ben Olsen's tossing back Diet-Cokes?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

There should be a drinking game for every instance that a DCU player has possession and puts his hands up in confusion on whom to pass the ball...

Posted by: Juan-John | August 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Unless Soehn uses his 2 remaining subs in the 46th, I will take an Ambien and go to bed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

This could get ugly. That one was on Hicks

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM
-------------------------------------------------------

Not sure who Hicks is (the Texas billionaire that owns half of Liverpool -- what'd he do wrong?), but the blame for the goal was definitely on Habarugira, who played the ball past Wicks and right to the attacker.

-----------------------------------------------------

Habarugira has the worst first touch I've seen since Tony Sanneh circa 1997.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 8:35 PM |

----------------------------------------------------

Ding-ding-ding!! We have a winner.

Seriously, ya gotta love these CONCACAF matches - they consistently provide truly horrendous officiating mixed in with hideous defensive errors that kill off any prospects that DCU could play a competitive match.

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm in, Juan-John. I feel like a Manhattan.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I have this weird feelng that dc, Toluca, the refs, and the announcers just don't care that a game is going on. Why does the FO even act like we can compete here?

Posted by: strago | August 26, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

So what's the point of putting out a guy who's so laughable you have to waste a sub on him in the 30th?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 26, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

fischy, DCU is no longer a competitive team, in heart or talent and especially coaching..the only way to get Mr. Payne to notice is for all of us to stop going to the games.

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

replacing our best player at the half. nice one, soehn!!!

Posted by: andrew23 | August 26, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

And FSC sucks!!!!!!!! Replays during play, terrible announcing. Putrid.

Posted by: Hoost | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM |

--------------------------------------------------------

This seems to be a constant thread with FSC's games. I find myself practically screaming at the television, to show some of the game instead of pointless and repeated replays of meaningless moments in the game. HOw many times do we need to see John's hard challenge, when there's actually something happening in the game.

As bad as the refs are and as bad as DCU is, FSC's broadcast is even worse. And it happens every time.

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

ok i take it back

Posted by: andrew23 | August 26, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Telefutura>FSC. Hands down. Understanding is overrated. As I type this, there is one word I understand: GOLASO!!

Posted by: carmines757 | August 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

My frustration comes from this; This is my city, this is my team and I love both - but no-one in the FO will listen to us fans or seems to care any longer

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | August 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Pontius has been pretty invisible. We need him to do something here.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM
------------------------

Like that.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

@Atlantaish

Good bet that somebody breaks an ankle. This ref always lets 'em play to the death.

I find it possitive that Schoen makes a substitution in the 34th min. It means he hasn't given up yet.

Even Morino is a bit off today...taking on 3 defenders. Even so, he's United's best player. Toluca's best player is the sideline un-officials.

Umm...Vamos United!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I understand that Toluca is playing mostly reserves except for GK and Zinho.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | August 26, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, this is a lot better.

Posted by: dchooligan | August 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Creative kick to the face...

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

"Played it past Hicks"?? He didn't play the ball at all. Sure he should have been more forceful with his mark, but he was also shocked to see his keeper on a kamakaze mission. If anything, Hicks knocked Harburigira off the ball. Sh*t goalkeeping - if you come to get the ball, you better get it.

Harburagira has had a terrible match though.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

agree londonboy, even if we do manage to win this game. It doesnt change anything. This game was horribly mismanaged. Thats why this team is always inconsistent. Watching this team is like watching a wild goose chase. Substitutions in the 34th minute? How is the team supposed to have faith in the system if the coach has no faith in his own system.

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 26, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

OMG?!?!? A replay during a cross???

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Fire the FSC director.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

londonboy: I did say I am running a fever, so I may be a bit delirious, but I see a team playing a squad with significantly more individual talent and ability to a relative standstill. it's not pretty, and our last pass in stinks (of course) and I missed the goal due to illness ralted issues while my DVD crapped out) but we are one laughable and unlucky gaffe away from being up in this game. we aren't on our heels. we are playing the ball somewhat through the midfield, well except when it comes off John's foot or Fred anywhere, that is. on paper, this game should be 4-1, especially with the referring problems, but Toluca can't take advantage, some of that credit has to go to the players. some. we've had some decent attacking chances.

but then maybe I am just sick of complaining about the team and will give them some credit...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, those replays are timed by Concacaf, not FSC, the spanish language broadcasts do the same thing at the same time, and you can tell the announcers don't know when they're coming.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Toluca is owning the possession at the moment. We can't even string together two passes out of the back.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 26, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a dive on that Fred "foul".

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that announcer just got himself to "good" in my book!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

And the same linesman misses one to our benefit! Two more to go dude...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok Joshuao: exactly "we are one laughable and unlucky gaffe away from being up in this game" and I really really hope that we get that belly laugh, and I think that everyone here is really sick of complaining as well.
We care about our team...like you. Hope you get rid of that fever and feel better.

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

"You never know if the referee Courtney Campbell is gonna blow the whistle"

Yeah, uhhh, isn't that a problem?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Despite the negativity on this blog, I do see some positive signs from DCU this half. Keep it up United!

Posted by: hoyanick1 | August 26, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Unlucky bounce on the cross to Fred.

I doubt he would have finished, but still.

We look much better since the Namoff sub.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

c'mon Fred, you can do better than that.

so is the FSC feed the same as the Telefutura one? cause there was a replay during that cross on TF as well. maybe they know their audience?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Q has been awesome this half.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

2 nice passes in a row from McTavish. Positive!

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Fred had _got_ to at least get that on frame! Pathetic!

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 26, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Concacaf runs this feed. They choose the angles, the replays, all that. Just like UEFA does their Champs league, FIFA does their tournament. These announcers are in studio in LA.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

If you continue to say that "fatigue will be a factor," you will eventually be correct.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Blame Jack Warner, then. Something we can all agree on.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I just had a positive thought !!!

If we tie this one we would have equaled last year with 4 games to play

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

122 comments so far. Fatigue will be a factor in this blog.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Tino is looking fairly sharp right now....

and we scored a goal from run of play (not another jaime penalty)

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

hey look! shooting from range to force the defense out. what a concept.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

That was great work from the number 270 there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

" hey look! shooting from range to force the defense out. what a concept. "

hehehehehe!!!

Vamos United

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh that was a sick move for the goal.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Somebody just got worked on there.

Burch.

Shocking.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

burch SCHOOLED

Posted by: andrew23 | August 26, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Great goal by "Corona".

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

and goodbye. nice postup.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Burch gets paid to play defense like that. Embarrassing!

Posted by: FrancoNiell | August 26, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

On replay, I'd like to take some of the venom out of that. Lovely skill.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 26, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

That was an AWFUL effort for what should've been a goal if not for someone tracking back.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Great save Wicks.

Who came back to bail us out? Must give credit.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Very good goal, have to say. A real forward obliterated a guy that should not be a defender. Shame, United could have stolen this match. Oh well, concentrate on the league.

As for Doug "Hicks" Wicks - I need to stop posting from my phone during matches. :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

RK: Julius JAmes, I am pretty sure.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. Mute + new guys = me clueless.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

night everybody

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I confess I had to look it up by number.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

This is embarrassing, way more than just missing the playoffs.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh jebus. Just unlucky.

I feel sorry for Wicks.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

time to make your way to the exit

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Just effing Wow! How bad can this team get?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

And goodnight...

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Um, Mr. Defender ... kick the ball into the stands. Please.

Posted by: Cerealman | August 26, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

and look Avery John is watching again.

I have to say, I have been impressed with James, for the most part, he's the only guy in the back (well except for a few Namoff runs) worth writing home about tonight.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

RBNY put up with lousy coaching for longer than necessary...lets hope we dont become the next RBNY

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Cmon he is all over him...ok, a yellow.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

CCL again ruins DC's season....

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | August 26, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game 10 years ago when DC beat Toluca to win the Concacaf Champions Cup and at the home opener against LA in 1996 and about 150 or more other home games. Tonight was the first time I ever left a game at halftime.

The reserve team starting lineup was a disgrace and a crystal clear signal that DC United's front office does not care about this tournament. I'm OK with starting a fair number of reserves but DC has a wealth of wide attacking players w Fred, Quaranta, Pontius, Wallace, and Szetela available and we start BOTH Ely Allen and McTavish on the flanks? And we start our weakest defender Burch in a new 4-4-2 formation alongside 3 other new or sub-level players? Sure enough, Hadwaytoomuchtequila was terrified when he was confronted with a soccer ball about 5 minutes into the game and Janicki'd a gift-wrapped goal to Toluca. And of course, Soehen subs out Allen for Fred well before the 1st half ends and has now brought on Quaranta and Namoff for McT and Habanothergoal. Great decisions on that starting lineup.

Will Chang, Kevin Payne, Dave Kasper and Tom Soehn may feel a great relief after pinching off the unwanted burden that is this tournament. But they need to know they took their dump right on their fans.

It's much more important to focus on marketing campaigns like "We Win Trophies"!! So, if DC wins next week they may qualify for another international tournament they would rather not play in. Woo Hoo!

Now that the team front office has flushed this tournament down the toilet at least I don't have to bother going to any more games. I was stupid enough to buy a ticket tonight but wasn't stupid enough to buy season tickets over the off-season. I'll go to some tailgates but I'm not setting foot back inside RFK this year unless it's for a playoff game.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 26, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful work there...Toluca really loves to hack at backs...and we didn't get the ball??? Huh?

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Joel: AMEN TO THAT BROTHER

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

This is why no one was talking about this game earlier...

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what an uninspirted and sloppy 1st half by DCU there.

I've seen enough of natalie imbruglia or hamburgesa, or whatever dudes name is, that I need to see. Time to dump that catch back in the ocean.

Same goes for Jacobson, John, Allen, and a cast of others.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 26, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

shame Baltimore doesn't have a team ...I could support them...the same way I moved from the Redskins to the Ravens

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

1 save for Toluca. 1

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

We should have lost to Firpo. Damn!

Really, can we manage a season properly? Enough of the BS, focus on what the home fans want, a f..ing MLS domination. Everything else is distracting.

Posted by: RetiredShark | August 26, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I feeling more and more squeezed in my seat on the Tommy-should-go bandwagon.

Welcome aboard, kegs in the back.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 26, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

really londonboy? you have the ability to change allegiances like that? i could never do that, but props to you i guess.

Posted by: birdynumnum | August 26, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

good night everyone

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope we dont hear any excuses from DCU. They play in 2 meaningful competitions: CONCACAF and MLS and they punted one of them. I cant even point to the Open Cup because they used their reserves and had a favorable draw. The fact of the matter is that I expect someone to be held accountable. I hope its soehn. Some people disagree with me. If its not soehn then it has to be someone else

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 26, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

this team is awful. someone's head needs to roll to at least show the organization cares about being embarrassed continually.

Posted by: SadieV | August 26, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Soehn will be fired in 5...4...3...2...1.

Then Payne will resign for allowing this macabre of a spectacle
to continue up to this point.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 26, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Oops, there was a game tonight.

What'd I miss?

Posted by: B_A_ | August 26, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

The good news is that if we win next Wednesday, we're in the CONCACAF Chumps League again. WOO-HOO!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Ohh. But Habarugira show...

Ohh. But the offense...

Umm, Wow.

The sky is... Falling?

Posted by: B_A_ | August 26, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

seriously. people expect MLS teams to do well in this competition? teams that are simultaneously fighting for a playoff spot? I think our first string wins here. and then loses in Chicago (and probably lost to LA last saturday, given the need for rest, and we're out of the playoff hunt) you can't take this seriously. CCL is basically a glorified exhibition (just like USOC is, frankly, until the final) the league is what matters. so you trot out the reserves and some starters and give them a piece of action to see who has it. Ely Allen, we learned, doesn't. JAmes may well. John no longer does. DH played like he's 20. Burch got schooled on a great play, it happens. Tino stepped up. Fred is back to having stone feet (but we knew that) it's a shame Danny Sz is still in the doghouse, be nice to get an idea of what he could do. that's all we can take from these, who's ready to step up. until we have 4-5 more potential starters on the team, and aren't fighting for our playoff lives, we aren't going to play big in this competition. sorry. so watch it through those glasses, from your couch, and take what you can from it.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 26, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

This must be what it was like to be an England fan during the McLaren years. You want the team to win, but that means that the coach will stay.

Cruz Azul 1 - Columbus 0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Cruz Azul 2 - Columbus 0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to DIAZ ARCE on being the new inductee to the Hall! Well deserved for those 1st two MAGICAL years!

Posted by: ESFan21 | August 26, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Columbus 0-2 Cruz Azul.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 26, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

If DCU wasnt jerkin around in the first half of the season when the only competition they were playing in was MLS then they wouldnt have to be fighting so hard right now. I mean really how good do you have to be to make the playoffs. United SUCKED last season and still almost made the playoffs. I mean you can make the case that United wasted more energy putting in a complete reserve team and having their starters come in and chase the game. Use a mixed roster. And dont tell me that there are no players that can play two games in one week. If thats the case then the fitness staff needs to be replaced. These are professional soccer players. Yes, nobody on this roster is William Gallas, but I guarantee you that Gallas will play 90 minutes against Man U and im baffled how noone on this roster is fit enough to play 180 minutes in a week.

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 26, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the FO should forfeit the rest of the CCL games to focus on the playoff hunt and USOC final.

The more games United plays the more I want Etcheverry and Olsen to take over and bring a sense of tradition and history of success back to the club.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 26, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

------------------

Or, it's like being a US fan during the Bob Bradley years...

Posted by: kdiff813 | August 26, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

1. WHERE IS SZETELA???
2. This is the first time I've seen Soehn actually do something besides stare.
3. We should have lost to Firpo. It will be hard to swallow another 4 matches of this. Can we gracefully bow out and give our spot to somebody who needs it? (Seattle in exchange for giving us Open Cup?) :)
4. Last time it was Janicki, this time it was Burch. Same ole' story.

Posted by: BarraPuta | August 26, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

We should have sold our spot in the CCL.

Posted by: GoUnited | August 26, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

so if my predictions are right...

1. We will crash out the CCL
2. We will win the US Open Cup.
3. We will either miss the play-offs or lose in the first round.
4. Soehn will be our coach next year.
5. Moreno will still be our glorified striker.
6. Emillio will make more money for doing nothing.
7. The defense will continue to have problems.
So...

anything I missed from 2008 that we should add for 2010...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 26, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I would rather DC play in the CCL than the Superliga to who ever said that the CCL is a another glorified exhibition match...

CCL has a little more honor at stake than the SL

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 26, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyanick1 | August 26, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse
________________________________
@ hoyanick
Nice attitude. I like how you roll. UNITED TIL I DIE!!! VAMOS UNITED!!!

Gnite ladies!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

This garbage is simply unacceptable.

If our first team players aren't up to go 90 on a Wednesday, then have 2 days of rest before playing again Saturday, they have no business playing professional soccer.

One of the main qualifications United should be looking for in players, is endurance. What good is a roster filled with players who can't go 90 minutes at 100% effort?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 26, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

This garbage is simply unacceptable.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 26, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Well said..

you should join the ever growing ANTI-FRONT Office movement..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 26, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Just back from Special Game AiEEEEEEEEEEE!

Posted by: dccal | August 26, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Alecw81, im glad im not the only one. If you play for DC United your expected to play in multiple competitions. If your the coach of DC United your expected to compete in multiple competitions. Otherwise you have no business being here. The whining is absurd. This is a job and your being paid to play.

Posted by: totalfootballer | August 26, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Etcheverry has only had one coaching job and he didn't do so well...I don't understand why you want to give him the job this quick (and if you didn't mean that, my apoligies)

Posted by: ESFan21 | August 26, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

No more excuses for mediocrity...

Soehn must go!

Posted by: marquezsucks | August 26, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

And FSC sucks!!!!!!!! Replays during play, terrible announcing. Putrid.

Posted by: Hoost | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM |

The Telefutura viewing was exactly the same.

That was a steaming pile of dung, the officiating. However, once Allan was removed, there was a bit of a spark.

It was a difficult game, fighting against the officiating but yeah, DC didn't really help their case. They showed some stuff, but...

My biggest complaint is the fact that Sohen's lineups are never consistent. He seems to always tweak his lineup somehow. If CCL was important, why start players that have just been signed? It takes time to learn other players styles etc.

I've been trying to not join the Fire Sohen bandwagon, but...I might be joining it soon. The first goal, I think was a hand ball. Telefutura kept trying to say DH hit it with his hand, or so their replays showed me, but I did see the offensive player hit the ball with the forearm. How else could it have made such a sharp turn?

At that point, the team looked deflated. Second goal, Burch left his cleats in the pitch he got burned so bad.

Third, John, who I had been wanting to see out there more, is at fault for that. Completely left his man open.

Gah, bloody frustrating.....

Posted by: dogboy | August 26, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Post-game quotes, from a different list:

On the Toluca loss: "I actually thought the team did a pretty good job. We just had an individual who didn't coach well and it really hurt us."

Also: "This last game, the front office got a little hot, as it should. It's finally them feeling that they are tired of the way results are going and the mistakes that are happening. There's some accountability right now. We'll see if that translates to decisions on who coaches this team next year."

On the culprit, Tom Soehn: "Some of the coaching mistakes he is making are mistakes you shouldn't see at the professional level. He has had a rough stretch, that's all I can say."

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 26, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Special Gsme "E" for "Excrement."

Can I have my money back?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 26, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: londonboy | August 26, 2009 10:00 PM
------------------------------------------------------

Wow. There's nothing like being a real fan...which is nothing like those who root only for winners.

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I think I have figured it out. Jakovic is cup-tied and cannot play in the CCL!

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 26, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Postgame thoughts?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: whoshotsam | August 26, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Columbus Crew 0-3 Cruz Azul, 2nd half. Crew are playing a man down.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 26, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

And: Houston Dynamo 1-1 Arabe Unido. Houston gets a road point.

More on the Crew: Cruz Azul's third tally was an own goal by Chad Marshall. Shortly thereafter Warzycha subbed off Schelotto and Alejandro Moreno.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 26, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

A majority of you guys posting your comments on here are just plain retarded and down right idiotic. Whining about Ely Allen and Danny Sztela and why aren't they starting this guy and that guy....Tom Soehn doesn't know how to coach. Give me a break. It's not an MLS game you morons. Your team has slowly slipped out of playoff contention in the past month and do you really thing Tom Soehn gives a S**T about the concacaf tournament leagues? he's more than obviously saving legs for games that matter. Every week i read crap on the washington post with you whining DC fans, learn how to support your team before you start trying to tell people how to run it. Your attendance is down just about 25% and to make things worse your team sucked it up again in front of a measly 8000 people tonight.....I hope you guys bring 3-4 times more than that for the Open cup game because your stupid ass we win trophies tour is about over.

Posted by: soundrrrrrrrr | August 26, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I was really thinking that DCU was deeper this year...and then, in the last month, all of these personnel changes.

Guys playing that we have never heard of. This is like the desperate grab of Janicki last year -- but at least that and many other fillers were due to injury.

And Szetela? You don't spend the waiver slot on someone you aren't going to play. Whatever he did, it was big.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Effin' ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If United doesn't win the Open Cup I'm burning it all to the ground.

If this team doesn't have the balls to show up in these tournaments, they shouldn't be advancing in them, regardless what their fans say. CCL is a bridge too far at this point isn't it?
If the Open Cup is squandered the club and their fans are going to look stupid.

Better get it right fellas.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

And in looking over the Houston-Arabe Unido match commentary...looks like it was a card-fest in Panama tonight. 11 total cards, four sent off (two for each side, one straight red each and one double-yellow each). PLUS...the lights died during second half stoppage time.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 26, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sounder, how about you go back to worrying about your own team and let us worry about ours? Thanksbye.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 26, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Seriously folks: Do you really expect MLS teams to do well in this competition? In my opinion, not a chance. They are worth what they are. I can't complain for what they get paid for 13k or in some cases they over paid. We can't expect to win with the players who really do not have skills and vision. Until MLS raises the salary cap to buy some good players who can compete with any other league I don't expect anything from MLS teams. Sad but that is what it is.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 26, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

On that last goal - I was going to post this comment a week ago, when I saw a defender nearly put one in his net:

With respect to the move that so many defenders attempt -- the sliding attempt to block a low crossing pass through the box -- I have come to believe it should be regarded the way Woody Hayes regarded the forward pass in American football. "There are three things that can happen, and two of them are bad."

When the defender does deflect the ball, he has no idea where it is going. Many times we see an own goal happen in such circumstances. Sometimes, it's merely a near miss, as the defender manages to out it out of play without putting into the back of the net. Other times, we see results such as the one that happened to Jay DeMerit against Mexico or what to Julius James tonight -- a deflection that the other defenders and the goalie cannot react to and that comes to an attacker who has a clear shot on net. It's hard to tell defenders to do nothing, but they need to be circumspect before attempting such a desperate gambit. If they have help, they should rely on other defenders to do their job to deny the scoring chance.

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's why it's a good thing that Emilio will no longer count as an international -- it may allow DC to protect some other international in the expansion draft. I'm having trouble figuring out who would be worth it, but the option would be nice. This team needs some serious rebuilding. I wonder how the Revs can find potent African talent like Dube and Mansailly, while DCU brings in such lesser lights as N'Silu, Habarugira and Futty Danso. It might be too early to judge Habarugira, but his touch on the ball doesn't inspire confidence, nor does his chopping down defenders from behind. Lucky to only get a yellow card on that play.

A nice goal by DCU, but otherwise a forgettable and regrettable night. I'm very glad I didn't rush back from NY to catch this game in person.

Posted by: fischy | August 26, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Do I expect MLS teams to do well in the CCL?

Overall...no. But at home? Yeah, I do.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey sounderrrrrr. it is way too early for you say something about DC United. Show us one single trophy....hahahahaa you can't. you have to win at least 12 before you start talking.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 26, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey DCUnitedFootball: have fun missing the playoffs this year. And we don't have to win any trophies before we start talking. The pure hatred that the sounders have been getting this year by opposing fans because they're jealous of what we have is warrant enough for me say whatever i want. Your 12 trophies can lick the taint of our franchise while we pound you in the Open cup.

Posted by: soundrrrrrrrr | August 27, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I happen to enjoy the CCL. And I want us to win the Open Cup so we are exempt from the Superliga.

And for all those Sounders fans talking about their decades of history, let me just say I have some respect for that kind of talk coming from those fans who were USL season ticket holders. But I went to a Sounders game at Qwest around 2006, and there were only maybe 2,500 there.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 27, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

"Until MLS raises the salary cap to buy some good players who can compete with any other league I don't expect anything from MLS teams. Sad but that is what it is." --DCUnitedFootball

The salary cap in 1998 when we won the Concacaf championship was lower than it is now. Same with LA in 2000.

But for the DCU FO to have strong expectations for Concacaf with this 2009 team is unrealistic. We are NOT even close to what we were in 2006. In hindsight I think DCU should have given their spot in Concacaf to another MLS team. We are no where close to competitively competing in an international tournament, when we are on the ropes of making the playoffs, rebuilding our team and signing new players every other week.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 27, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Would the Red Bulls (even more desperate than us) trade Angel for Emilio and Fred?

The DP slots trade, and both teams get a much needed chemistry shake-up. Thoughts?

Posted by: BarraPuta | August 27, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

"Speaking of scoring chances -- how did Fred miss his so badly? A nice cross from McTavish that gave Fred a chance right in front of the goal, and he put it wide. That should have put DC up a goal." --Fischy

I think we can all agree that Fred has rapidly spiraled in the last year or so. I think that 'Man of the Match' award on Sat was undeserved despite him playing a decent game. Interesting hypothetical: is a trade ridding Fred and Emilio for Angel (NY) worth it/ good deal?

Posted by: redskinsux | August 27, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

BarraPuta we have psychic powers!

Posted by: redskinsux | August 27, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Crazy! Maybe it was meant to come true!

Posted by: redskinsux | August 27, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Holy Cow-lumbus. Crew 0-5 Cruz Azul.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 27, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Redskinsux, you have reading powers!

lol, jk.

so.. hey that makes two.

Posted by: BarraPuta | August 27, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

First time I've used the Report Abuse link...

Posted by: Reignking | August 27, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

...and WTF? America-Chivas at Arrowhead in Kansas City next month??

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 27, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

to so(under)..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 27, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Is it any wonder more and more MLS fans want to get their filthy mitts on ACES scarfs?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 27, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse