Monday Kickaround

*Many of you have e-mailed me about access to Real Madrid's training session this Saturday evening at FedEx Field. According to game organizers, the practice will be closed to the general public. Staffing, security and logistics would have cost D.C. United thousands of dollars.

*Congrats to Jeff Agoos, Joy Fawcett and former New York Times writer Alex Yannis, who were inducted into the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, N.Y., on Sunday.

*On Tuesday, Don Garber will celebrate 10 years as MLS's commissioner. The former NFL executive took over for Doug Logan, who ran the league for 3 1/2 seasons.

*In WPS, nearly 8,000 fans turned out at Toyota Park for Chicago's final home match, a 3-1 upset over first-place Los Angeles. With one week left in the regular season, the Sol has clinched the top slot and will host the Aug. 22 championship game. St. Louis is locked into second place and will be the site of the Aug. 19 semifinal against the winner of the No. 3 vs. No. 4 match four days earlier. The final two playoff berths are being contested by Washington (7-7-5, 26 points), Boston (7-8-4, 25) and Sky Blue-New Jersey (6-7-5, 23).

*Rockville-based Real Maryland (7-9-2, 23) gained one point from two weekend matches and now sits one point ahead of Crystal Palace Baltimore (6-8-4, 22) for the final playoff berth in USL2 with two games remaining for each club. The Monarchs will play their home finale Saturday against Bermuda.

*Highlights from Aston Villa's penalty kick victory over Juventus. Skip ahead to the 8:00 mark for Alessandro Del Piero's comical PK attempt against USA goalkeeper Brad Guzan, who wasn't fooled by the Italian's cheeky attempt:

By Steve Goff  |  August 3, 2009; 9:43 AM ET
Categories:  England , Freedom , History , Italy , MLS , Real Madrid , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: El MLS Loco
Next: D.C. United News & Notes

Comments

Posted by: sbg1 | August 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say that I think I like the play off format that they're using in WPS. Nice reward for the points leaders in getting the hosting rights for the finals and semis.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"Good to see that Guzan is getting some playing time - even if it is pre-season. I am sure he will be called into the Mexico training camp."

At the expense of Troy Perkins.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Guzan is a step up in class from Perkins, plus he is younger with even more upside to come. He should be our #2 with Perkins as a capable #3.

Guzan should be our #1 for the 2014 cycle when he will be 28 or 29.

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 3, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Good for Brad. Villa has 2 great goalies.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Phil Schoen describes Baffon as having the "wingspan of an albatross" ??

we have to deal with that for the Mexico game, really?

Posted by: inzzo79 | August 3, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | August 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Good for Brad. Villa has 2 great goalies.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 3, 2009 10:21 AM

Villa has 2 great Brads.

*According to game organizers, the practice will be closed to the general public. Staffing, security and logistics would have cost D.C. United thousands of dollars.

By Steve Goff | August 3, 2009; 9:43 AM

What they would have lost in money they could have made back in goodwill for the people shelling out the $60 a ticket to watch this friendly. Or for the people who don't have the cash to watch a friendly for $60. How many other teams on tour in the US have had open practices this summer?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | August 3, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Watch practice?

zzz

Posted by: Reignking | August 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Phil Schoen describes Baffon as having the "wingspan of an albatross" ??

we have to deal with that for the Mexico game, really?

Posted by: inzzo79 | August 3, 2009 10:26 AM -------

What's wrong with that? The albatross has the largest wingspan of any bird. Buffon's arms are really long. Schoen didn't mix his metaphors and it adds a little descriptive color. He could have said "Buffon used his really long arms to stop that PK" but that would be boring. I don't mind a little descriptive language.

Besides, he also said "Against a HUMAN goalkeeper, that would have gone in, but Buffon..." and I thought that was clever.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 3, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, how may people were AT this Peace Cup final? 5,000?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 3, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Goff, any word to the Bill Hamid signing for DC?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | August 3, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Thousands of dollars? That is their excuse. So at the most $9,999 dollars. That is pocket change for a guy like Chang.

Not to be a Seattle-trumping idiot, because I am the the biggest DC United fan around, but there is a reason why 30,000+ feel "part" of that club. It isn't because they are built around the Barcelona model or because this is their first season - management does everything they can to make sure they are.

Thousands of dollars? Oh boy, what a JOKE.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | August 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

As far as Real Madrid's practice is concerned, they (or their sponsors) should be paying for their US-based fans to have access. Observing the Asian tours English clubs just completed and the tournament Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter and Club America just did, there were many opportunities to access the clubs other than going to the match.

Real Madrid is coming over to build their fanbase here and paying some of that huge money they've got to open up a practice and set up some autograph sessions wouldn't hurt.

Posted by: Louise9 | August 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

OT: Just went to try to buy tickets to the Open Cup Final on ticketmaster and the best available seats were in section 306 - row 13. Still decent seats, but I expected to be able to get better seats this far out. No Mezzanine level seats available at all. Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Maybe I will try the a United Sales Rep

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I will try the a United Sales Rep

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 3, 2009 11:08 AM

Supposed to say "Maybe I will try a United Sales Rep"

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I would call ticket master can be questionable.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 3, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Chicago plays some nice soccer. SOL is suspect in the back

Posted by: Ron16 | August 3, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Just got back home to Cali to see DCU lost on Saturday.

If I had to guess I'd say over the course of the season the team has left around 10+ points on the field. Talk about some uninspired play. To me that starts at the top.

Fire Soehn.

On a more positive note I did get to see my first game at RFK in 2+ years, the 3-1 win vs. Colorado. So that was nice.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Just got back home to Cali to see DCU lost on Saturday.

----------------------

when I first read that, I presumed it was a typo and that mcpoop meant "lose". after rereading it though, I kind of like the way it was originally written. they sure looked lost to me, at least in the first half.

by the way, for Chelsea's match in Seattle, not only was Chelsea's training open to the public, they hired dozens (hundreds?) of folks to walk around town passing out invitations. I agree that DCU shouldn't pay for Real's publicity, but Real certainly should have done so.

Posted by: troy6 | August 3, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Rather than watching Real Madrid practice, I'd prefer finding out that Fed X Field will have working bathrooms and traffic problems solved for next weekend's game. The reports from the Paul McCartney concert are horrific.

Posted by: Beckster1 | August 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Goff, and news on when US Soccer and Bradley will announce the US roster for their trip to Mexico on 8/12 for the World Cup Qualifier?

Posted by: tab5g1 | August 3, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

What's the parking/tailgate situation going to be like for this Sunday?

I assume their charging for parking?

Posted by: Colsey | August 3, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the refs cut off the last 4 minutes of extra time in the Juve-Villa game yesterday.

Posted by: soccerglue | August 3, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

When I wrote "thousands of dollars", I was intentionally vague since I don't know the exact amount. It could be $9,999 or $59,999.

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 3, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

What's the parking/tailgate situation going to be like for this Sunday?

I assume their charging for parking?

Posted by: Colsey | August 3, 2009 12:17 PM
*****************************

Earlier reports were that parking would be free. Hope that's still true.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

How many other teams on tour in the US have had open practices this summer?

Thx,

Jay!

The Madridistas have an open practice in TO on the 6th; Barca had an open practice before their friendly with LAG.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 3, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

A $5 parking fee was part of the tickets.

Snyder is just trying to make RFK feel like home, Beckster1.

Posted by: sitruc | August 3, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Not only was Chelsea's training open to the public in Seattle, so was access to the players' hotel rooms.

If Seattle had a 150,000 seat stadium, they would still sell out every match.

Seattle would never charge their fans a $5 parking fee. Their fans all have chaffeurs. The team also provides free valet service.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 3, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If Seattle continues to perform like they did yesterday, the honeymoon won't last much longer. Not that DCU is racking up tons of wins this year, but I'm still baffled by the fact that the Sounders have not won a game on grass this year.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 3, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan
==================

Allergies.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 3, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The McCartney concert was horrific. I spent about an hour before my car even MOVED from it's parking space, and the parking folks there were just standing around watching traffic fail to move while if they had just had us turn around we could have been out in 20 minutes.

At least 3 lower level bathrooms had NO running water in either the sinks or toilets *YUCK*

Posted by: Wyrm1 | August 3, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Has no sympathy for those who would waste their time watching Real Madrid practice for a friendly or attend a Paul McCartney concert.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 4, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse