Monday Kickaround

*DCU President Kevin Payne penned a very expensive, full-page letter in today's print editions of The Washington Post encouraging club supporters and casual fans to attend the U.S. Open Cup final next month at RFK Stadium. An excerpt: "The Sounders, and its fans, have said that Washington, D.C. and its fans do not deserve to host the match at RFK. They insisted the match should be played in Seattle."

*In preparation for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier in Mexico City, 14 players are in USA training camp in Miami at the moment and six more (Ching, Clark, Holden, Bradley, Feilhaber, Altidore) will arrive later today. Although ESPN does not have the rights to show the match, it will provide a live pregame show starting at 3:30 p.m. ET with Bob Ley and Alexi Lalas at Azteca and John Harkes with a studio host at network headquarters in Connecticut. Coverage of the 4 p.m. match will be provided by Telemundo (Spanish) and mun2 (English).

*The participants in WPS's creative playoff structure are now set:
Saturday: #4 Sky Blue at #3 Washington, 4 p.m.
Aug. 19: Sky Blue or Washington at #2 St. Louis, 7 p.m.
Aug. 22: Sky Blue/Wash/Stl at #1 Los Angeles, 3:30 p.m.

*Among several impressive goals during Houston's 3-2 MLS victory over Chicago, I particularly liked Peter Lowry's side volley in just his second league appearance:

By Steve Goff  |  August 10, 2009; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: USA-Mexico Update

Comments

"We Win Trophies"

Rest of DC: pwned

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

United over egging the pudding with the over the top Open Cup ads on DCist? http://dcist.com/

:-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad they called it wewintrophies, rather than the Euro wehaveglory, or wehavehonours, or moveyerbloominarse.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

*Anyone know if any of the womens Euros will be broadcast in the US? Sonia and France are in the same group as Germany.

*Boston not top 4 in the WPS? Is DiCicco in over his head?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 10, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2009 10:12 AM

Why not just go full on USA! USA! USA! and say 'wewinworldchampionships'?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Who were all our subs? It looked like we had alot more than usual. We were up high so could not get the numbers. Any one new coming? Why do we leave a slow center back by himself? We could easily have put John, Burch, The Riverhound, then Janicke.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Payne should spend the club's money on his retirement announcement . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | August 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that Women's Euro209 won't be on TV in the US, given that the Euro leagues are starting (have started). I willbe happy to be proven wrong.

DiCicco is not over his head. It's the referees' fault that Boston is not in the top 4.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

What channel number is the USA-Mexico game on this week for D.C. Comcast viewers (mun2)?

I need to set the DVR!

Posted by: DCU-ManU | August 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Go away, troll.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

So Clark and Holden went full 90's yesterday (as well as last Thursday), and Ching went 89 minutes. With the Mexico game being on Wednesday, that's a lot to put on one player's plate in week's time. I'm wondering whether that opens the door for Feilhaber to earn a starting 11 spot next to Bradley. Even for a worker like Clark, going a third full 90 at the Azteca after the week he's had is asking a lot.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

DCU-ManU:
On Comcast where i live its 178

Posted by: Fisty409 | August 10, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Feilhaber went 90, too :)

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I love the advertisements...

It's about time....

Thank you Payne and Co!!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 10, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I absolutely love the wewintrophies thing. Pure genius. I wish I had thought of it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 10, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Yes, but Feilhaber only played one game last week.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I love the advertisements...

It's about time....

Thank you Payne and Co!!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 10, 2009 10:45 AM

I also love the attention the club are paying to the Final. The Seattle whining seemed like a boiling point for Payne and Chang. Enough ripping on the league's premier club.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 10, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29

...if i had the wings of an eagle...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 10, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

That is a great goal, but Julius James looked awful letting Blanco get possession there.

Posted by: fischy | August 10, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Go Freedom!

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | August 10, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Goff: Is that WPS semi at 6:00 p.m. St. Louis time?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 10, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

the ads are awesome, but i think they would have gotten a lot more bang for their buck if they had handed out flyers at the Real Madrid game to people on their way out, announcing a ticket deal or something.

Posted by: joe_hill | August 10, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Any TV coverage for WPS play offs?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish:

I couldn't agree more. "Brilliant" gets overused, but this merits that description.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 10, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@joe_hill: You know there is a ticket deal right? I keep reading these posts from people that lead me to believe that not everyone knows that the:
OPEN CUP FINAL TICKETS RANGE IN PRICE FROM $12-$30!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

OT: On Friday night's Celtoid music program on XM Radio, I heard this song by Eric Bogle, the Scottish-born Australian singer/songwriter (perhaps best known for the antiwar anthem "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda"):

It apparently was first recorded in 1996, but I don't remember ever hearing it before.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 10, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Next time some blogger neglects or shuns(!) DCU or its search for a stadium, just direct them to that web site.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

i realize there is a ticket deal, but there were 60,000 people at the game dressed in white jerseys that probably don't follow DC United all that much, and had seen at least 55 minutes of really good soccer. They are a better potential audience then DCist readers, I would think.

Posted by: joe_hill | August 10, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else amazed that Gomez went 45 in Houston on Saturday, 120 on Tuesday in El Salvador and then 90 yesterday? Will he play 5 minutes @TFC, or has he somehow found the fountain of youth?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan - 1st round will be on FSN, but if you are like me and have Cox you might not get that channel (replay I think is on FSC the next day though). Semi-final game will be on FSC and then the Final will be on FSN again.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Any TV coverage for WPS play offs?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 11:06 AM
__________________________________________

The playoffs will apparently be on another Fox channel (Fox Sports Net or something). I don't know why they aren't keeping it on FSC, nor why they are playing these matches on Saturday rather than Sunday, as the WPS game of the week on Sunday on FSC was getting a decent audience, according to the NYT; in fact, only slightly less than FSC has been getting for MLS broadcasts.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 10, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Re: wewintrophies.com

I don't mind if we don't win the Supporters' Shield this year, because that's really an ugly trophy compared to all the others.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Is there any controvery over Maurice Edu not being selected for the Mexico match?

Since he'd be on the roster bubble, do you all think that Bob Bradley is not calling him in now so Mo can ingratiate himself with Rangers management, just as Cooper is trying to do at 1860 Munich and Johnson at Fulham?

Posted by: billindmd | August 10, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Any chance someone here knows a soccer-friendly place at Topsail Beach?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 10, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Edu is still recovering. He is not healthy.

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

billindmd: Edu is still recovering from knee surgery...

Posted by: dcarmy | August 10, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The then-Metrostars spent $0.00 publicizing the US Open Cup final they hosted in 2003, and that's when they actually had decent crowds at their regular season and playoff games.

As a result, maybe 875 people were at the game, half of whom were in section 101.

And the team laid a freakin' egg, losing to the Fire 1-0.

So kudos to United for promoting the hell out of this game, though that actually puts real pressure on the team to win. I guess that's what good teams are made of.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | August 10, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

CSN is doing a delayed broadcast of the Freedom game Saturday at 7:00 p.m.:

Also, here is the NYT article that mentions the ratings that WPS games have been getting on FSC:

Posted by: universityandpark | August 10, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson does not deserve to be on the roster, if he scores a few goals in the actual season then we can talk.

I like Joe_Hill's idea with the fliers. The Real Madrid game was a great chance to get some advertising for the USOC Final. The letter is classic though. I just hope everyone saw the sideline ad for the USOC Final behind the goal on the supporters group side.

I think one of the best advertisements was how well DC played for 55 minutes. I hope people do notice. Even my English buddy, who I played college ball with, watched the game and stated how well DC keeps the ball. (I think I have heard him say 3 or 4 positive things about the MLS in 3 yrs.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 10, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we bring Peter Lovenkrands and/or Andy van der Meyde on trial? Both are currently without a club and they are only 29. Lovenkrands can play up top or as left winger. Van der Meyde is primarily a left winger.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 10, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, are you headed down Mexico way any time soon?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 10, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

DC United: "We Win Trophies"

Skins and Caps: "We're TRYING To Win Trophies"

Natinals/Wizards: *crickets*

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

In the FedEx parking lots, there were DCU interns passing out cards promoting the Galaxy game and the USOC final, unless the beer has clouded my memory...

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Sportznut21,

I write this as both a DC United and a Redskin season ticket holder. I would tread lightly on the criticism of the Capitals. At the moment they are unquestionably the best run organization in this town to include United. The Capitals are absolutely loaded with young talent on the NHL roster and in their farm system. I really like Chang but nobody is as good an owner in this town as Ted is. Lastly, they only have the best player in the world on their team, along with the best young defenseman in the league. Can you imagine if United had Ronaldo or Kaka?

Posted by: croftonpost | August 10, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 10, 2009 10:24 AM
*********************************

Here's the boxscore:

Were the Mexican Nats still playing league games with their clubs this weekend? On Telefutura's Contacto Deportivo last night they said Cuauhtemoc Blanco was pissed at Dennis Hamlett for not letting him go to Mexico early to train for the WCQ. Hamlett played Blanco 90 minutes yesterday.

Good for him.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 10, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

A though occurred to me while watching the WS of Poker (couldn't sleep). Two pair, Kings and Aces, should be called a "Kaka."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Funny, but that is some serious sleep deprivation.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 10, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 10, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad suggestion. I imagine both of their contracts would be way to high. Plus, Lovenkrands probably has some option in the German league. Van der Meyde last played for Everton and Inter Milan, as I am sure you knew, and I doubt either of them pay lightly. He probably was on close to 30k a week -if not more.

Also, the question is would they even want to play in the MLS? Van der Meyde has not been healthy in about 4 yrs so who knows if he is any good and Lovenkrands, before joining Newcastle, was relatively productive.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl
...

---

Weather, women, lower cost of living, relative anonymity , etc... Who wouldn't want to play in MLS after playing in high pressured leagues where every game is scrutinized by the sporting press and daily life tracked by the tabloids ? I'm sure van der Meyde would be intrigued with a CCC match in the Cuzcatlan or some of the places in Honduras.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I think my new MLS Fantasy strategy is to load up on players from whatever team is playing NY each week.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"We Win Trophies"

Rest of DC: pwned

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 10:08 AM

========
Hey, the Freedom have two - and that in only six years of competition.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Good News!!

One Eurosnob converted! I took an acquaintance to a pub to watch United vs Madrid yesterday, and we now have a new member among our ranks. The guy has lived in the DC area for years, knew all about the big name European stars and teams, but couldn't really say anything knowledgeable about United. After the way DC played, he agreed to come with me to the Open Cup championship. He said "I expected DC to get run off the filed, but they really surprised me!" Once I get him to a match on the fun side, I think we'll have a new regular. I suspect this very situation was repeated all over the DC area yesterday.

IMO, this means that United came out a winner from yesterday's exhibition match.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations WorldCup. Don't forget to have your Frequent Eurosnob Converter card punched at the next game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 10, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost: It wasn't necessarily meant to be a *criticism* of the Caps. I know they're making an honest effort at the Stanley Cup, and Ovechkin will go a long way towards that -- they just need to get past the Penguins. More a tongue-in-cheek commentary.

And, for the record, I'm a longtime Skins fan. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 10, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1

The exchange rate will kill ya...

Posted by: Reignking | August 10, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It's cool that Payne is trying to amp up the local fan. What I wish is that he'd get off his arse and find a potential money-making SSS for the premier financial boat anchor of MLS.

Posted by: khan1 | August 10, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

yo! joe_hill, I hear ya on the need for flyerin', but as the_slammer mentioned it sounds like DCU was handing out something to folks leaving yesterday. I just noticed that a couple of folks seemed to "discover" the sticker on the City Paper a little late last week, and I'm hoping that all the regulars and evangelists in the SI ranks are doing their best to drag some bodies to the match. MJ does point out that this is heaping pressure on the team to win, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Let's just hope that if the Sounders still haven't won on Grass by September 2nd that the fans and the team have done everything they can to keep that streak running strong!

Sounds like WorldCup is getting it done, and I do agree that if there were more stories like that the better!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

SportsNut21,

Hail to the Redskins!, Rock the Red!, and Vamos United!.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 10, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

F Seattle. They piss me off so much. Fans show no respect - someones gotta put them in place. Im going to the game at RFK and gonna bring a few college buddies.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | August 10, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

If I plan to come from Baltimore for the Open Cup Final and take the MARC train down, would I stand a pretty good chance to take the subway back to Union Station in time for the 10:30 MARC train back to Baltimore? I have a few extra MARC tickets sitting around from changed plans earlier this year. Is that way too much hassle, or should I try my luck driving in rush hour traffic?

Posted by: davemcl | August 10, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

He said "I expected DC to get run off the field, but they really surprised me!"

======================================

DC United can play evenly with Real Madrid for at least a half and DC United can play evenly with Ocean City Barons for at least a half. We ain't afraid of NOBODY!!!

Posted by: OWNTF | August 10, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davemcl | August 10, 2009 5:08 PM

========

According to Metro, it takes 27 minutes to go from the Stadium-Armory station to Metro Center, transfer to the Red Line, and get to Union Station. So you should be good if you don't hang around.

An alternative would be to take the #96 bus from the station, which goes straight down East Capitol and to Union Station in 19 minutes, but it only runs once a half-hour, so the train is probably the better bet.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 10, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan is going to trademark weplayongrass.com

Posted by: DCUMD | August 10, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Any chance someone here knows a soccer-friendly place at Topsail Beach?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 10, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse
__________________________________________________

You'll be lucky to find a bar that has a TV on Topsail. Seriously, there's not much there.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 10, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

So the president of the team is placing advertisements to "ask" people to come to an Open Cup final? How over-the-top can you get? If DC United was such a great club, then they wouldn't have to place ads to "ask" people to come to a final. Unbelieveable. I can see Washington Post readers collectively scratching their heads. Kevin who? And outside of the DC metroplex, fans say, "Kevin who?" Seattle could easily fill Quest Field for this game. Better to play this game in Seattle so that it gets the maximum number of fans. They are right. Payne's letter smacks of desperation and certainly isn't appropriate for someone who for years has been boasting that DC United is the most successful team in the U.S. So successful he has to take out an advertisement and beg for fans -- at a cup final no less.

Posted by: golstriker | August 10, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

RFK holds what 55,000? 60,000? Yet DC United only has the 8th highest ranked attendance average in the league this year. They average roughly half of the attendance per game that the Sounders average. That does not include the euro team friendlies. Our GM's comments were based on a revenue standpoint only. Seattle fans are not whinning about it. We see the business sense in it. Thats why we have things like boeing, starbucks and microsoft. The whole "we win trophies" thing was really motivational. But apparently winning trophies doesn't sell out games over there. Something we don't have a problem with in seattle. The 12th man and the sounders fans set league standards. Hand down the best fans in any league. GO SOUNDERS!

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Sounders fans: Smell the glove of the 4-time MLS Cup champions. Your attendance smack is meaningless in the face of our actual glory.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 10, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Puget Sounders, I know our trophy case can be a little intimidating. It's ok - you still have your marching band, right? I mean, you've got that going for you. And those camo jerseys, that's gotta be an advantage right? We can't juke you if we can't see you, that's for sure. Just go ahead and buy that Alaska Air direct flight - we'll keep the lights on for you (err..maybe) and polish all the trophies so they shine brightly when you walk into RFK!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 10, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think the Sounders trolls realize how ridiculous it is to talk attendance smack to the people who DO go to the games?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't say that your trophy case matters to the sounders or their fans at all. Those things were won in a pre-sounders mls. Couldn't care less about your mls championships either. We didn't have a team to compete for them so as far as I am concerned there was no mls before this year. Pedalda, there are so many things wrong with what you said its hard to find a startng point. First of all, our jerseys are not cammo. I know there are soldiers in the DC area. They wear cammo. We wear a solid color. Be it a bright one. Secondly the whole "we'll keep the light on for you" thing is the slogan for a hotel. Not alaka airlines. Sounds to me like you might want to work on more than the "brightness" of just your trophies. I understand your need to defend your team and all, but it works a whole lot better if you don't show your ignorance while you do it. Its embarassing to that one other dc united fan out there.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Trolls. Thats good. Well thought out comment slammer. I would engage in a little prematch trash talk to other united fans, problem is its really hard to find people who actually claim to be fans. Look around RFK and you will see what I am talking about.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Easy now, don't get your orcas in a pod! I am sure we can pitch in to get our Northwest friends a shiny runner-up trophy so they can open their very own trophy case. Maybe even a fancy Chihuly glass creation to remind you to train harder so you don't shatter when you have to play on grass. This "starter trophy" will prominently note your status as the second-best team in all of America during this competition. That's pretty good for your first year!

Posted by: Pedalada | August 10, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Seattle is a better team than DC United because Seattle spends less money on advertising.

(Just paraphrasing golstriker's post)

Posted by: DCUMD | August 10, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

@hawkfan81 - I think you're missing part of the point on the wewintrophies.com marketing campaign. The point is that DC United cares more about winning trophies than we do about selling out every game.

You suggested that Seattle sets the league standard when it comes to attendance. That's fine. But DC United sets the league standard when it comes to winning trophies. To each his own.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 10, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

YOu sell out the stadium? You put tarps over the empty seats! You've slowly controlled the release of more tickets! You are consumers of a product that you have been brainwashed into believing is any different than all the other failures and poor excuses for professional sports teams that stink up your city. Now I know this because I used to live in Seattle for years before moving here. I actually mean in the city to by the way. Not on the east side in my parents mansion, or some other white trash suburban crap hole, so shut it down kids.

Go back to watching your pathetic american football team, and feeling safe, warm and cozy surrounded by a bunch of dough faced gingers in barf green shirts. Have you actually noticed how bad your team is playing lately guys? I swear to god the last goal any Sounder scored was an own goal straight past "MLS's Allstar Keeper". Maybe you didn't read the memo about you guys not winning a game on grass this year?

You guys make like your club didn't advertise your lousy team for an entire year, and offer bargain basement season ticket packages. You make like they didn't shove a trillion free scarves down everyone's gullet. Talk about taking your SOMA. If you guys lose the Open Cup Final and don't even make the playoffs, do you really think next summer will be a "Summer of Soccer"?.
I bet not.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I am not missing the point at all. Your team exec has to beg fans to show up despite all your winning. Whereas for us tickets are so in demand that there are not enough to accomadate everybody despite the fact that we have not yet had the opportunity to win anything. The fan support certainly is something for the organization to be proud of. We too will have our chance to win trophies and championships. We just have not been around long enough to win any of those things. That is the difference here. You have had time to win and develop a large, loyal following but have only been successful in getting half of that done. All be the better part. All I am saying is give it time before you start comparing trophies. Pedalada, that is the first decent shot anybody has taken. But I'm not interested. I will be enjoying our first trophy win instead. We can offer you a rematch for next year though.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@universityandpark: thanks for the heads up on the Freedom replay!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

OK then. DC United won 8 trophies in our first 4 years, including 3 MLS Cups. Check back with us in 2013 and we will surely enjoy comparing trophies with you.

I gotta say though, if the Sounders even make the playoffs (which is hard to say with this losing streak) I'm going to root for a DCU/Seattle rematch in MLS Cup. Even if we beat Seattle in two Championship finals, Seattle fans will still probably find a way to argue that they are the better team because they sold more tickets.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 10, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I guess his mom came into the room and told him dinner was ready...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, I didn't say we sold out the stadium. I said we sold out the games. Not every seat in the stadium is sold for the games. Thats over 30,000 fans per game. Also it really doesn't matter where you are from. City, suburb, wherever. Where you live doesn't have any bearing on your team allegiance. To think otherwise is completely ignorant. "street cred" doesn't win your team games. As far as our other teams go, the redskins are where our garbage players get signed. Plus your head coach was one of the best hawks qbs. Doesn't say much for that franchise if they are signing "failures" to lead them. I don't think the nationals really need to be discussed. That line about not getting the memo sure was clever. Its an expansion team. They are going to have struggles that they have to work thru. That doesnt mean that they wont be there in the end. And nobody is saying we didn't advertise. Thats what good ownership with a good promotional department does. Maybe thats something your front office should look into.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Once again, cheap shot with no merit. I guess stick with what your good at.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

who are the redskins?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 10, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

you can't be serious. Not an nfl fan. I suppose thats where the american football reference came in. Instead of just calling it football. My bad. Thought you might be a multisport kinda guy since you eluded to the seahawks franchise.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Here you go, Hawkfan, these will make you less ornery:

Isn't that nice?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Payne can probably get you guys in touch with the Mystics to get some of those made up for Qwest.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice thought. Why don't you let us get thru our first season and see if we win anything first. Very funny though.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 10, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Why even bother? I thought attendance was the most important thing, after all?

They should reserve a Champions League spot for the Attendance Champions, definitely.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 10, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Attendance and a solid start to the franchise are what we have now. Championships are what we want. The rest is just a bonus. Bragging rights if you will. But seeing as how we haven't even made it thru a season yet championships have not been a possibiliy for us at this point. You guys have the perception that winning is not important to us because we have not won anything and you have multiple trophies and championships. Thats simply is not true. Winning is the most important thing for our franchise. We just haven't been in the league long enough even have been in a position to compete for a title. Like I said, its not all about the attendance, but its what we have accomplished so far

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

It's what your parents bought you for Christmas. I'm sure your folks were so excited for you when you had the Sounders scarf peeking out of your stocking on that chilly Mercer Island morning. They even promised they'd let you take out the old BMW a couple of times for special matches, like the big international friendlies. Otherwise you'd be carpooling with Timmy, and Jarvis, and Daniel for the balance of the glorious "Summer of Soccer".

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Never been to mercery island and I have never been rich. Dont have a bmw nor would I want to. Haven't even lived near my parents since I joined the army back in 2001. So this little rich yuppy boy scenario you keep trying to paint is as baseless. But again cheap shots are apparently your thing. Just because someone is more articulate or better at conveying their point than you are that doesn't make them rich. You sound like you know a lot about soccer. Stick to what you know because the rest of it sounds very ignorant

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Considering 95% of your "fans" never went to a pre-MLS Sounders match, none of your attendance claims mean a thing.

Boy those Cosmos sure packed the Meadowlands back in the day... how do those crowds for RBNY look now?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 11, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

You aren't Mr. Mohawk are you?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Anyways, I might be irresponsible for posting this link, but I found this article an interesting examination of what may or may not be happening up in the Pacific Northwest.
It has a slightly Timbers slant, but I did find it linked at GoalSeattle, soooo.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

How does not attending a match before we had a team relevant? I never went to a seahawks game before we had a team. Never went to a mlb game before we had the mariners. Thats does not mean that I am not a huge fan of my teams. Granted I know and understand football and baseball better than soccer. But here is the thing, I support my local teams. Admittedly I am a novice when it comes to soccer. When I found out we were getting a team I started learning about soccer and I love it now. Wish I would have paid more attention to it when I was younger. But the fact that I am a sounders fan first and that has turned me into a soccer fan does not mean I am less of a fan than a guy that has watched soccer his whole life. It just means that I have a lot more to learn about soccer. For me these forums are part of the fun of all pro sports. The prematch trash talking makes watching that much more fun to watch I think.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

no man. I am not mr. mohawk. You must not have moved that long ago if you that guy. I don't think he is very old.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I am excited to finally get a real rival in a pro sport. Its not that way with the hawks or the m's. Vancouver is also getting an mls team. So there should be some pretty fun rivalry matches over the next few years. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

you're not going to make any friends talking all this baloney. This is a DC based newspaper, and while Steve Goff has "no emotional attachment" to DC United, many people who read and comment here do. doesn't mean you aren't welcome to read this wonderful blog, but it is advisable that you don't continue to talk all this hogwash to people who've been reading and commenting on a regular basis here long before Seattle was even awarded a franchise.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I understand where you are coming from man. Its nothing personal at all. DC United is a great mls franchise. Its just prematch hype. Pure and simple. Its never an issue with football blogs. Still learning the ropes with soccer though. Its all in good fun. At least thats the way I look at it.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

The annoyingness of Seattle fans is the only thing that would ever lead me to hope DCU wins.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | August 11, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, it's not the smack that we mind. It's just the incredibly hilarious fact that it's ATTENDANCE SMACK that's the issue. Really? Attendance smack? We're not talking about the game....we're talking about ATTENDANCE? Talk about insecure.

By the way, we were Attendance Champions back in 2001 while fielding our worst team ever. Do we get a cookie? Does that in any way impact 9/2's game? Oh wait, I forgot, since it happened before the Sounders joined the league, it's irrelevant. Never mind..

Posted by: the_slammer | August 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: davemcl | August 10, 2009 5:08 PM

========

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 10, 2009 6:08 PM
_________________________________________

If the affair goes to 120 minutes and then to penalties, it may be close to 10:00 p.m. before people start heading home. Cab ride as a backup plan, perhaps?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 11, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Any chance someone here knows a soccer-friendly place at Topsail Beach?

Posted by: alecw81 | August 10, 2009 11:48 AM
________________________________________________

When I was figuring out how to handle being in another state last Sunday, I consulted the FSC pub guide. I don't how close any of these joints are to Topsail Beach:

Posted by: universityandpark | August 11, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Thought we were past that slammer. I already responded to your last post. Guess you didn't read that since you stuck with the same theme there. Believe me, there is no insecurity here. Again, if you read my last response to you then you would have a better understanding why the attendance thing came up in the first place. Push the debate another direction or don't bother to respond. There are only so many ways I can rephrase what I was saying. It gets monotonous. Either you understand trophies can't be won by a team that didn't exist or you can't wrap your mind around that concept. Reguardless, its not all about attendance. We have been over this.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, either you wrap your head around the fact that we don't care about your one-year attendance, or leave our blog, eh?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 11, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Thats a very clever, well thought out response. The equivelant of a toddler saying "no, you". I think if thats all the united fans have to offer then maybe its time to find some fans to chat with who can formulate an original thought. Exceptions go to dadryan and padalada though. They put out some effort.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Not so. If you want to talk soccer, i.e. the actual game that will be occuring in a few weeks, I think many of us would be happy to do so. However, if the best you can come up with is "I would engage in a little prematch trash talk to other united fans, problem is its really hard to find people who actually claim to be fans", then feel free to leave. We actually like talking about soccer here, not the contents of chairs. Thanks for playing.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 11, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Maybe when it gets a little closer to the matches. 2 matches in 4 days will leave plenty of time discuss it. It will actually be revelent then. The "we win trophies" letter is what sparked my interest in the first place. Thats why I dropped in a couple weeks before the matches. Take care until then slammer. I will look for you next time.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

excuse me. 2 matches in 10 days.

Posted by: hawkfan81 | August 11, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse