Altidore, Adu, FIFA, Weather, Chat

*USA striker Jozy Altidore announces to the world on Twitter that he's tentatively set to be loaned to Premier League club Hull City. Meantime, sources close to Freddy Adu tell the Insider a resolution to his situation (Portugal? Netherlands? Elsewhere?) is expected within a week.

*Not much movement in the latest FIFA rankings: The USA remains No. 12 while Mexico rose three slots to No. 30. Brazil, Spain and the Netherlands are the top three.

*The long-range weather forecast for Sunday's friendly between D.C. United and Real Madrid: 91 degrees, isolated chance of thunderstorms. (The average temperature is 87.)

*We need to talk: I will host a live online chat on washingtonpost.com Thursday at 2 p.m. Click here to submit questions in advance, follow the action and read the final transcript.

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2009; 5:38 PM ET
Categories:  FIFA , Q&A , Real Madrid , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United's Busy Schedule
Next: Red Bulls Eliminated

Comments

Costa Rica dropped 8 in the FIFA rankings. It would have been nice to have 3 CONCACAF countries in the top 30.

Posted by: csd1 | August 5, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff - Do you know what the attendance is for the Real Madrid game? Thanks!

Posted by: OrangeGirl1 | August 5, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

This is good for Jozy.

Not good for Freddy.

Either Benfica just really couldn't care less at this point, or whatever clubs have shown interest are really not that peckish.

I can't wait to (not be able to) watch the Real Madrid match. I definitely think that we should score at least 1 goal. Comparing salaries, this looks like a massacre, but we all know they have problems with structure, especially defensively.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 5, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

So, its seems to me, that all the fears that the US would lose its chance at a number 1 seed because of the 5-0 drubbing in the Gold Cup final have been allayed significantly.

It seems to me, even if we lose in Azteca, which I dont think we will, that we will still have the number one seed locked up. I hope so, becuase Mexico's group in the 06 World Cup was a cupcake group.

I still predict the US will get screwed by the WC draw.

UnitedDemon, you could take the positive side of it. Possibly so many clubs have shown an interest in Adu that he needs a few days to make up his mind as what will be his best option.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 5, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I personally feel the chances are still very slim that the US get a number 1 seed.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 5, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

That's a very positive side, grubbsy.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 5, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

SoniceDeathMonkey, Why? One number 1 seed has to go to CONCACAF. I predict we tie Mexico in Azteca, and win out the rest of our WCQ games. We would finish first in our qualifying group then, and be a year removed from the Confederations Cup final -FIFA's favorite pet tournament. There is no way we would be passed up by FIFA then.

Well except if Michael Platini figures out something to complain about other than English clubs having foreign players.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 5, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon:

I don't think it's so cut and dry. Isn't it at all possible that there are a couple interested parties, and Adu/Benfica are trying to pick the one that works best? If a resolution is approaching, that means there has to be some interested party, right? I mean, "staying at Benfica" would be a continuation of the problem, so for this to be resolved requires someone else taking him (either on loan or via transfer).

***

People are still talking about the US as a seeded team? My main problem when everyone thought we deserved one wasn't that we got shafted (we were not one of the 7 best teams in the world, and we weren't the host), it was that Mexico had absolutely no place taking one of those spots.

We won't get a seed. We don't deserve one. Then again, if Mexico could get one when they were obviously not qualified...

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 5, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

very late and ot but a question about the CCL away goal just because i am lazy to research. why didn't Firpo advance and went ot plus penalties when they were tied on goals? Isn't away goal count means that since Firpo scored at RFK weren't they supposed to win it. For instance, UEFA CL last year Barca came to stamfort bridge and equalized and went to the final even though they were tied one one?
By the way NY is blowing up one goal lead to losing end now.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 5, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

By the way NY is blowing up one goal lead to losing end now.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 5, 2009 8:52 PM

They scored one at RFK (as did we), and we scored one at Cuzcatlan (as did they). The game was tied on aggregate (2-2) and on the away-goals tiebreaker (one away goal for each team). Hence, extra time. If the game had been tied 0-0 last night, we would have lost after regular time; if it had ended 2-2, we would have won after regular time.

Posted by: sec133row5 | August 5, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

both teams (DCU and Firpo) had an away goal, that's why it had to go to OT.

Posted by: fedssocr | August 5, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFootball:

Because the teams were tied on away goals, as each game finished 1-1. In that Barca-Chelsea game you're referring to, the first game ended 0-0, without Chelsea scoring on the road, so that when Barca tied it up, they went up 1-0 in road goals. Since DC and Firpo both had 2 total goals and 1 road goal, it went to extra time, and ultimately PKs.

Now, before it happens in another series and you get confused, if both teams had scored in extra time, it still would have gone to PKs because there is no away goal rule in extra time, because only the team will on the road in the second game will have a chance to score an away goal in extra time

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

W-Connection up 2-1 in the 51st.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The grass at Giants stadium is too high.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Just saw JFA's link to the play-by-play.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Toyota Park full tonight. There might even be a few Fire fans there.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe the Red Bulls can be this bad.

Posted by: fischy | August 5, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I turned on the TV to watch soccer, but all I could find was a Red Bulls game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

It's so empty in Giants Stadium, I just heard yell Seth Stammler yell the F bomb from the high press box camera.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks guys!

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 5, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Has Cepero ever played on turf before. I just turned on and he's already made two bad decisions under pressure.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

John Wolyinec can play on my team any day.

I mean, I'd rather my team be good enough to where he never played in a game, but I'd always be glad to have him on the roster.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

The grass at Giants stadium is too high.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

That would never happen on the X-Box 360 Pitch in Seattle...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 5, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

When they lay grass, is it still the "X box yada yada yada"?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

W-Connection going through.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

PKs for superliga

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Banner (Gonzaga grad) misses - but bailed out with a Tigres miss

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Mapp Baggio's one - not looking good for Chicago

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Wait, that Banner guy graduated college? He doesn't look old enough to have graduated high school.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

JFA - Gonzaga HS, here in DC. But he went to Georgrtown and college in Illinois after that.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhhh

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Alright, alright, my heart strings are tugged a bit looking at pics of Messi fartin' around on top of the Space Needle... That's cool. Now if you could get a picture of Zlatan, Henry, and Puyol air guitaring huddled around Jimi's statue on the hill and I might shed a tear..
I sure could use a Dick's Deluxe, some fries with tartar, and a shake right about now...;-)
Go Sounders! Tire yourself out in a friendly!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 5, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm having trouble telling the two teams apart. You'd think the clubs could have agreed on brighter, clashing kits.

:-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I saw that pic on goal.com yesterday and thought it was pretty neat.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

During the press conference they stated that Altidore would need an EU work permit. What I don't understand is that he was already playing in the EU while in Spain. Did he not have a work permit while at Villareal?

Posted by: no_recess | August 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse