Osorio Out as Red Bulls Coach

No surprise: Juan Carlos Osorio is gone as coach of the Red Bulls, who are on pace for the worst season in MLS history after reaching the league's championship game last year. Assistant Richie Williams was named interim coach, the second time he has filled that role.

"I want to apologize to the fans for the results this season," Osorio said.

Perhaps no one knows Williams better than Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena, who coached the former defensive midfielder at the University of Virginia and D.C. United. Williams lived at Arena's house in Virginia after college many years ago and assisted Arena with the Red Bulls. They talk on the phone every week, Arena said.

"I see a guy who will be demanding of his players, demand quality and demand concentration. If they inherit half of Richie's competitiveness, they may win the league this year. Is that possible? I'd guess they'd have to make the playoffs, which isn't possible, but the guy will get the most out of them."

When you saw him as a player, could you see the characteristics of a future coach?

"Actually, no. He was so competitive back then. He has matured; he's not punching anyone out anymore! He was a little crazy as a player and you would not have thought of him as a coach, but he has changed and he knows what it takes to lead a team."

By Steve Goff  |  August 21, 2009; 3:22 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Coaching Salaries
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

RB finally makes the right move. I'm sure that they'll blow it with a bevy of mistakes in the off-season.

RB always losing - makes for a stable world.

Thank you RB.

Posted by: J_S_F | August 21, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I've never heard of a coach punching someone before ;)

Posted by: Reignking | August 21, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Richie ought to hire former Georgetown coach Keith Tabatznik as his assisant, because the Red Bulls would win the "Shortest Coaching Staff in MLS" award, which is the only award the Heifers are likely to win this year.

Posted by: b18bolo | August 21, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I have total faith that NYRB, having done the right thing in canning Osorio and hiring Williams as interim coach, will go and find some sexy European coach in the off-season, thereby guaranteeing a disaster of Gullit-ian proportions...

Posted by: mmathai1 | August 21, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I hear there will be wholesale changes at RBNY right after the season is over and maybe even a sale of the team.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | August 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Since we don't play them any more this year, this could be good for United. An NY team actually showing effort and fight might actually take some points off of other teams in the league. We can always hope, right?

Here's their remaining schedule:

8/23 Dallas
8/30 Columbus
9/12 Kansas City
9/18 New England
9/26 @ Chivas
10/3 @ San Jose
10/14 @ RSL
10/24 Toronto

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 21, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Red Bull Coach Williams means no induction to DC's Hall of Fame . .

Posted by: delantero | August 21, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

RB didn't even make the move - Osorio had to resign! imagine if Soehn was their coach (this might be a wet dream for several of the folks here) - he could probably last 30 years.

@Chest_Rockwell

not saying this will happen, but there are at least 5 winnable games in that schedule.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

As a player, Williams seemed like a pain in the Arsenal to play against.

@ Dalentero
I don't see why Williams shouldn't make the Hall after all, John (Capiton for life) Harkes is in and he helped coach the Pink Cows. I think Richie deserves to be in the hall although I voted for Diaz Arce. Really they should both be in.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 21, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

rep to mmathai1

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 21, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Anti-climactic: Osorio's firing

Totally bonkers: Barcelona rumored to negotiation to buy RBNY (Michael Lewis, Big Apple Soccer, so we're talking about a real reporter, not a rumor-monger)

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | August 21, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

hmm - old rumors of Henry joining NY as DP and new rumors of Barcelona buying the team; could there be some truth hidden in there

Posted by: emanon13 | August 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess after the debacle in Miami, they're looking for a turn-key operation.

Buy RBNY, become Barca New Jersey, begin play in a brand new stadium, likely with a big-name coach, and probably loan someone like Henry out as a DP.

Not a bad move for all parties really.

That said, I hope United hire Richie as our head coach this offseason, even if Soehn somehow miracles an MLS Cup appearance.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have any more info on the Red Bull sale? I would love to see the team sold, renamed, and play in RB Arena. A dark period in MLS history, for sure.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | August 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean that we can have Angel?

Posted by: me_ahogo | August 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

You guys really think that Red Bull is going to drop $225m on a brand new stadium and then sell the team right before the stadium opens because of a bad season?

REALLY?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The way I hear it, Barca isn't interested in buying the stadium. They can let Red Bull keep it, rent it from them, and let Red Bull use it for whatever else too, and still turn a profit, they're FC Barcelona.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 21, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@the_slammer yes, I do--they get all the brand recognition of RB Arena, they'll probably remain shirt sponsors, but they don't have to think about/finance any of the football decisions. It fits much more nicely into RB's sports landscape that way.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | August 21, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess NY is gonna get another win this season after all...

Posted by: KireDCU | August 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I was beginning to think Mastodon's had become extinct...

:-)

Posted by: KireDCU | August 21, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Richie will burst out of them like alien junior. Can't wait to watch.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 21, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, I think Osario is a great coach who was cursed with the worst roster in the league...not all his fault. If Soehn gets the axe, I would welcome JCO at United.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | August 21, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

JCO is NOT a soccer coach.

He's a fitness coach who fooled MLS into thinking he had a clue about soccer.

That roster that he's "cursed" with is filled with players he brought in.

JCO at United would be even worse than Soehn, Rongen, and Hudson combined.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 21, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Is this some kind of subtle apology to Bruce Arena? Hire the guy that was sleeping on his couch? Lets face it, Bruce Arena got the shaft with the Red Bulls...Thats a cursed franchise...Plus they gave up draft picks for Osorio...Thierry Henri would be stupid to go there, no matter how much he likes living in NYC, just ask Osorio's wife...

Posted by: alan19 | August 21, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, it is going down deeper and deeper. How the heck do you people think Richie will bring up this team? Get a real sense, I mean real.

On a separate note: Last night, JH mentioned Seattle's fans when their jump compare to EPL I thought what a clueless reference. EPL fans don't jump like that. Those Budes Liga fans, moran. EPL people just sit.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 21, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

The current status of the NYRB is just plain bad for US Soccer in general. A huge metro area with millions of immigrants who are fans of the game, a franchise that can't generate even a competitive team tamps down interest in the MLS game. Maybe the new stadium will generate some changes/improvement.

Posted by: sbg1 | August 21, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

How are they fans going to get to Red Bull Stadium though? Is there metro or have to pain through the expensive bus trip?

I should say thouse who jump are Bundes Liga fans above!!

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 21, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

new energy drink "Gay Up" marketed for the gay community to sponsor Malaga in the Spanish first division. this just has to be a joke.

not that there's anything wrong with that...

Posted by: troy6 | August 21, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

And in other news, dogs are still chasing cats, the sun sets in the west, and Setanta is on free preview mode for Dish Network subscribers until 9/20.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 21, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I musta worked today, cuz for once I'm clearly not the most inebriated. Yikes.
Efff Seattle and New england. And New Jersey. Eff em all!
VAmos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 21, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

FAkeemail9875:

Osorio crafted that roster himself. I dare say that no coach in MLS history has been more deserving of a firing.

Osorio sees himself as a strong tactician, and his methods involve changing formations and player selection based on your opponent. In the case of the former, it's simply a matter of not knowing himself; Osorio is a lousy tactician prone to both overthinking (and missing the obvious, simple solution) and underthinking (thus not understanding more complicated tactical problems). As for the latter, MLS teams are not built for that sort of squad rotation and formation juggling. There's a reason that, when most MLS teams change formation, it's treated like a big deal.

Osorio's success with the Fire was due to a strong roster that he inherited; this is also why another relatively poor manager (Hamlett) gets results there now.

If Osorio was named the head coach for next season (and let's be honest, it looks like Soehn will need an amazing finish to this season to keep the job), I will prepare for embarrassment in every competition we're in.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 21, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Wait...

Wasn't Malaga the ones who put the King on their shirts? Is this some sort of cross promotion? Are they changing to to a queen?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 21, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

No, that's Getafe.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 21, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@DCUnitedFootball

Getting to the new RB stadium will be as easy as a subway ride from Manhattan. No car needed, no bus. It wouldn't be hard to pack it if they have anything resembling a decent team, but that is far from assured. I really hope they schedule DCU for the opener.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 21, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

For the record I am a couple inches taller than Richie... therefore would be increasing the average height! :)
KT

Posted by: ktsoccerworld | August 21, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

It is so great and I am torned between all these live games. Wigan v Manchester United on ESPN2. Dortmund v Stuttgart on ESPN Deportes, Mainz v Bayern Munic on GolTV, Man City v Wolves on Fox Soccer Channel. I need two more tvs put together so I can watch all live in my living room.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

If it weren't for the espn2 logo in the corner, I wouldn't know I'm watching a espn network. I'm waiting for somebody to comment on all of the empty seats.

Posted by: sitruc | August 22, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I don't really praise ESPN but this time I would like to congratulate them for first brining the EPL, La Liga, and Bundes Liga games and second not showing constant score lines at the bottom. This really is a massive progress.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 22, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

bringing.....

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 22, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for somebody to comment on all of the empty seats.

Posted by: sitruc | August 22, 2009 10:12 AM

Wigan is known more as a Rugby town than a Football town.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | August 22, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse