Real Madrid-DCU News & Notes

Just so we're all on the same page: D.C. United is playing Real Madrid on Sunday. Not Real Salt Lake. Not Real Maryland. Got it? Okay.

The news:

*Bryan Namoff and Santino Quaranta have hamstring ailments and won't play. They hope to be ready for next Saturday's league game at Toronto. Clyde Simms might see some minutes as part of his recovery from hernia surgery. Ange N'Silu and Boyzzz Khumalo remain out.

*Dozens of fans gathered outside Real's downtown hotel this afternoon, creating a stir on 15th Street, which is usually very quiet on the weekend. Admirers were prevented from entering the small lobby, but many got a glimpse of the players as they exited the building to board the bus for the ride to training at FedEx Field.

*No matter how hot it gets, Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka are contractually obligated to play at least 45 minutes, game organizers said.

*Famed tenor Placido Domingo, a native of Madrid who is general director of Washington Opera, was invited to sing the U.S. national anthem, but a European concert prevented him from attending.

*At FedEx Field, 26 ticket windows will be in operation. A parking fee is included in the ticket price. Lots open at 10 a.m. Stadium gates open at 1 p.m.

For comments from the players and coaches at today's formal and uneventful news conference, continue reading this thread.....

Ben Olsen expressed "how lucky we are to have Madrid in town and a chance to play one of the storied clubs in this world and some of the greatest players on the Earth. It's an exciting time for D.C. United. Hopefully we can be up to the challenge."

Tom Soehn: "We expect to give them a match. We look forward to the competition and look forward to a quality game."

Before commenting on Sunday's game, Raul paid tribute to Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque, who died of a heart attack after training today. He was 26. "He was a young, great player and his family is going through a difficult moment right now. I thought it was appropriate, as captain of Real Madrid, I express my sincere condolences of behalf of our club," Raul said.

Added Ronaldo: "It's just a very sad day."

Real Coach Manuel Pelligrini, on the DCU match: "We hope tomorrow is going to be a party for everyone."

Ronaldo's impressions of MLS in general: "Football is growing every day in the United States. Although we won against Toronto, I thought they played very well and there is no limit to the growth of the sport here in the United States."

Pelligrini, on playing in hot weather Sunday after having a game last night and traveling today: "I'm not worried about it. We have 22 players here with us to play two games. We're going to see at training today how the players who played last night recovered and then we'll make a decision about who will play tomorrow."

Christian Gomez: "We watched the game last night. We know they have potent forwards up top and a good midfield. We are going to take some precaution. We know it's a friendly game, but we are going to do our best to get a result."

Jaime Moreno, asked about his impression of Real's 5-1 win at Toronto: "That question is better directed to our defenders!" (laughter)

Soehn: "We have always taken a lot of pride in these type of matches. We want to make sure we play a brand of soccer that is beneficial and make sure that we understand we are trying to establish ourselves as a brand of soccer. We intend to play our game. We obviously know their strengths, and obviously there are a lot of them. We expect it to be a difficult match, but we expect to step up to the challenge."

Translation: Having played Real once before as well as Chelsea, Spurs and others over the years, DCU is going to attack to the best of its ability against a world-class opponent and not sit back and be in awe (like TFC seemed to be last night).

Ronaldo, asked whether he would like to play in MLS someday: "You never know. Life gives you different cycles. It could happen or it could not. I can't say."

Raul: "It is possible." (although I don't think he meant it)

Asked if it's difficult being so famous, Ronaldo said: "I like being Cristiano. That's the way I like to live my life. It is not a problem for me."

Raul was asked, with so many new players on the team, if he made a statement to his teammates with two goals last night. Raul shrugged and said: "I have played here 15 years and I hope to be here much longer."

If anything interesting unfolds at tonight's reception for the teams, I will post it on my Twitter account. Look for a big Real Madrid story in Sunday's print edition (available online tonight).

By Steve Goff  |  August 8, 2009; 6:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Real Madrid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Matchnight: Sky Blue-Freedom
Next: Sunday Kickaround

Comments

Oy.

Posted by: Section117 | August 8, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Would we see a big color pictures in the print? If so i will buy a paper.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 8, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 8, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody, Shalrie Longdreadlocking is back!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 8, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Steve's story.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 8, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the 'wewintrophies.com' sticker on the front of this week's city paper? Hope it's a clever start to a marketing campaign for the second...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 8, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Incredibly sad news regarding Daniel Jarque. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Posted by: go_terps | August 8, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Gooooooooooooooooooooosssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh
Joshuaostevens, where the hell have you been?
My lips hurt real bad!!!!

I was at this birthday party tonight, and this women looked at my dcu shirt and opened up the conversation about how she was going to the game... I explained how I'd probably be able to go to 3 more league matches for the price of one over priced friendly...
she then went on to tell me she'd "heard" Beckham was going to be there...
I politely asked what made her think that made any sense and she told me that Becks really wanted to play for Madrid... Maybe she meant United?

To paraphrase fischy... Who in their right mind....? Have fun with the east coast version of Seattle Sounders fans gang. And Please drink lots of water!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 8, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

very informative story goff, but can people please stop using 2.0, or fudge's sake 3.0( you silly sounder at heart dude)... it's just sooooooo 2004 and Soooooo barftastic! Please! or I'm going to change my handle to dadryan 6.9.....

Posted by: DadRyan | August 8, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

wow, Casey and Cunningham with 10 goals a piece now? Wowza!
Seattle proving they can't score goals when it counts, and a allergy to grass..

Posted by: DadRyan | August 8, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The more impressive thing about Cummings tonight is three assists.

Posted by: sitruc | August 8, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

To answer your question in the other thread, DadRyan, Freedom won 3-1.

Posted by: sitruc | August 8, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

This is worth watching half a dozen times.

I'm not even sure that needed the deflection.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 8, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

oops, cummings! yeah! that's what I meant! any chance the silly mls website will reboot their golden boot poll? this is getting ridiculous!
please tell me they'll show next weeks Freedom match on Comcast....I already know I cant go!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 8, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

No Namoff? Uh-oh.

The FSC picture is particularly craptastic tonight. HD can't come fast enough for me. I've switched to Telefutura.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 9, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I love opera, I go to about 3 performances a season. I would've loved to have two of my passions come together like that. No surprise though, Domingo is definitely booked several years out with only small holes in his schedule.

Vamos DCU!

Posted by: KireDCU | August 9, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

No Namoff or Quaranta, eeewww. I don't like the sound of that, especially beyond tomorrow. If we can get healthy for the home stretch and build up some momentum I see the potential to make a run deep into the playoffs.

I'd expand on this but after a big steak at Ray's the Steaks and then seeing Bruno (a George on The Beatles rating scale), my brain is turning off.

Posted by: KireDCU | August 9, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Morales puts Chivas ahead of Barcelona in 51' minute in Candlestick.

Posted by: sitruc | August 9, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

1-1

Barcelona wants to win.

Posted by: sitruc | August 9, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Was Paco Ramirez sent off?

Posted by: sitruc | August 9, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

whoaaaa goffy shout out on fox soccer report

Posted by: gregegeg | August 9, 2009 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Anyone see the feud going on between Tod Grisham and Russ taylor before the San Jose-Columbus game?? HILARIOUS

Sky Sports made an adorable mistake just now:
"Columbus 3
San Francisco 0"

Posted by: StewartDC8 | August 9, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

"very informative story goff, but can people please stop using 2.0, or fudge's sake 3.0( you silly sounder at heart dude)... it's just sooooooo 2004 and Soooooo barftastic!"

I don't know if you intended it, but this is just a delightful piece of writing: using the obsolete "soooooo 2004" and equally obsolete "barftastic" to convey the obsolescence of another expression. Nice job!

Posted by: ChristopherMc | August 9, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

And I quote: *Real Madrid will wear its traditional white uniforms. DCU, on a scorching-hot day, will dress in all black.

Again, who was the genius who thought black should be DCU's primary color?

Posted by: stwasm | August 9, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey I like black jerseys. Those aren't going anywhere. Maybe DadRyan is right though that we need a third jersey for situations like this.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 9, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"... 2.0 ... it's just sooooooo 2004 and Soooooo barftastic ..."

I have no idea what this means. Still, if it shows our youth are drawn to soccer then it's a good thing.

Posted by: lands37 | August 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the compliment ChristopherMc.;-)

lands37: I was trying to say that I think using terms like MLS 3.0 and Galacticos 2.0 is silly and nerdy, but I also used silly and nerdy terms to convey that. Pretty silly huh?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 9, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse