Saturday Kickaround

*ESPN's live coverage of the English Premier League begins today with Chelsea facing Hull City at 7:40 a.m. ET on ESPN2. The network reached agreement Friday evening to show up to 48 games in the U.S. market this season on Saturday mornings and Monday mid-days. Other upcoming matches (I hope you appreciate Burnley):

Aug. 22: Wigan vs. Manchester United ESPN2
Aug. 24: Liverpool vs. Aston Villa ESPN2
Aug. 29: Chelsea vs. Burnley ESPN2
Sept. 12: Liverpool vs. Burnley ESPN2
Sept. 19: Burnley vs. Sunderland ESPN2
Sept. 26: Portsmouth vs. Everton ESPN2
Sept. 28: Manchester City vs. West Ham ESPN2

*Read my D.C. United story about the roster moves, injuries and upcoming schedule.

*Check Paul Tenorio's preview of the Freedom's WPS playoff match at Maryland SoccerPlex (4 p.m.) against Sky Blue.

*Chivas USA acquired Colombian under-20 defender Yamith Cuesta on loan. The 6-foot-3 center back has played for Expreso Rojo in Colombia's second division. Chivas also added defender Jim Curtin and forward Ante Razov to the disabled list. Curtin (ankle) is out for the year, while Razov continues his rehab from an ankle injury. The earliest he could return is Sept. 26.

*The Mexican national team will face Colombia on Sept. 30 at the Cotton Bowl as part of a doubleheader with FC Dallas and New England. Anyone else tired of seeing Mexico play friendlies in the States? If there's money to be made for Soccer United Marketing, they'll keep getting invited. But should American soccer continue providing the platform for its arch nemesis to fine-tune its World Cup qualifying effort? Just a thought.....

*MLS this weekend:
Toronto-DCU, 4 p.m. ET (Telefutura, Comcast SportsNet/DC)
Columbus-Dallas, 7 (Direct Kick)
New York-Chivas USA, 7 (Direct Kick)
Real Salt Lake-Houston, 9 (FSC)
Los Angeles-Seattle, 11 (Direct Kick)
Kansas City-Chicago, Sunday at 3 p.m. (Telefutura)

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2009; 12:11 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , England , Freedom , MLS , Mexico , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan, Flu Update
Next: WPS Matchday: Freedom-Sky Blue

Comments

If James and Habarugira work out, I'd say the front office worked some magic this year...especially considering the amount of money we have invested in a few of our older players.

Is anyone else a little nervous to see who goes in the expansion draft this year? With our line up being a revolving door and many players looking like possible starters, I'd be shocked if we didn't lose someone. And what'll happen with Jaime and Ben? Will Emilio take a pay cut? Will Fred still be around? Gomez is probably the most secure of these guys when you consider how they've played vs. salary.

Even if we don't win the Cup, if we can get some of these questions answered for next year, the front office has set this club up nicely for the next few seasons

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 15, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I never understand the thing that is either world cup qualifier or friendlies played in the united states between any of the south american teams invited to play in this country. Do we or any other country ever to invited us to play in Mexico to play friendly or in another country for that matter. It's time to stop having these thugs and continue making money off of american consumers. I am honestly sick and tired of it.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | August 15, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Goffino -- You keep referring to Smarte as a forward. That is where he played in college, but on the Fusion's page at the USL website, Smarte is listed as a defender. He played over 900 minutes, and notched one assist. Seems pretty clear he's a defender these days. Is DCU looking at him as a forward, or a back?

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Fischy, those stats sound about right for a DCU forward.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 15, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate Burnley only slightly less than I do driving through the Appalachian foothills at sunset on my way to Nashville.

Okay, that's an exaggeration.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 15, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it's time for SUM to either start making real money to pass onto MLs clubs or start playing these friendlies in MLS stadia to share the revenue. Why do we continue to market El Tri in this country almost better than we market the USMNT? I don't mind one every year or two (or el Salvador, costa rica or other concacaf teams having the odd friendly stateside, but multiple matches a year? Smaller countries are one thing, but Mexico is large, has a successful domestic league and massive stadia of their own, if they can't make money in Mexico City (just as likely they don't want a potential rival to get comfortable in Azteca) then it's bad for the developent of US Soccer by continuing to host then here several times a year.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 15, 2009 5:03 AM | Report abuse

If these exhibitions are being staged by SUM, then it's silly to get upset about them wanting to capitalize on the fact that there's a ready-made audience for these games in the States. It's not SUM's job to grow the US game. OK, maybe the case could be made that they have some sort of MORAL obligation to do so, but that's a pretty naive argument.

Posted by: loosek | August 15, 2009 6:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed that the ESPN2 games aren't on ESPN360... oh well...

Posted by: comfortstarr | August 15, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Holy mother of soccer news, the game is in HD!!!!! No Jozy though on the bench.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 15, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes!!! Finally, the EPL on ESPN and not ESPN360. I guess I might need to reconsider paying for FSC of Setanta any more...?

Posted by: rss317 | August 15, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Jozy is still in the States dealing with work permit technicalities (or so I read somewhere else on the internets)

Posted by: Wyrm1 | August 15, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Feature on the Freedom's Lisa De Vanna.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 15, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many of you who oppose El Tri's friendlies on US soil, would also oppose money making friendlies involving the big Euro clubs.

Yeah. I thought so.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 15, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

To clear up some confusion from earlier threads: The Freedom game is being carried live by Fox Sports Net, not to be confused with FSC. CSN wll be showing the FSN broadcast on a delayed basis tonight at 7:00 p.m., and tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Oops, make that the FSN broadcast that CSN is picking up.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Oops squared. I got it right (FSN) the first time.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Money talks, and BS walks.

-- Bobby Flekman (on the Mexinats in the US)

Posted by: EssEff | August 15, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wyrm1 | August 15, 2009 8:24 AM
__________________________________________

Would Disney have bothered with this match if they had foreseen this?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I personally believe the work permit thing is a friendly way of saying "Hey, let's make sure he's not carrying H1N1 before we let him in the country."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 15, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Goff must hate WPS... No mention of the television coverage for the Freedom? ;-) 7pm tape delay on Comcast Sportsnet, with a replay at 4pm tomorrow.

I know, I know with some thing as grand as Chelsea/Hull City on who could possibly bother with anything else?...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm not sure I'm happy with Mexico continuing to "tune up" in the states, but I think we're beyond the point of no return. The future is only bound to see more and more Mexican soccer fans in every corner of the US. Our only hope is to turn on more US soccer fans to balance the scale.
Go USA!
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 15, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Julius James won't be able to play in the Open Cup final if the club wanted him to as he should be cup tied right?
How about for Champions League?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 15, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Drogba wasn't going to lose. Lucky goal though. That was a cross. 4 more minutes of stoppage...

Posted by: sitruc | August 15, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it was lucky to go in, but it showed a lot of skill anyway -- on the run like that, and chipping it over the keeper to the far post from that angle. Drogba deserves much props.

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Feature on the Freedom's Lisa De Vanna.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 15, 2009 8:30 AM
__________________________________________

Let's hope she has a productive day. As I noted in an earlier thread, there is an offer of free wings at Glory Days in Germantown if De Vanna and her teammates score at least three goals. Even if they don't accomplish this, people are still invited to come to Glory Days afterward. It is allegedly an opportunity to meet the players, although they did this at least twice earlier this season, and it ended up with the players largely hanging together in a reserved section, and all the fans shunted off to a different area, with a handful of brave souls crossing the divide.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- Excellent questions about James. I would have assumed that United was getting him for depth, with an eye towards starting him in the CCL games. I don't think the Dynamo played in a play-in game, so I don't think James could be Cup-tied there. He did play in the Dynamo's Open Cup matches, though. I guess that does mean he's not eligible for the final.

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

As noted above, it is live on FSN. I have no idea whether that channel is pretty much universally available. Even if it is, for many of us, FSN, like FSC, is in some tier that we don't receive. By contrast, it seems that CSN is a channel that most of us within a few hours of Washington get.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I will be looking forward to seeing Blackburn visit Burnley...

What do we think of Burnley?
...
We hate Burnley and we hate Burnley,
We hate Burnley and we hate Burnley,
We hate Burnley and we hate Burnley,
We are the Burnley haters!

Yer mums yer dad,
Yer dads yer mum,
Yer interbred, ya Burnley scum.

Me mums me mum,
Me dads me dad,
I'm born and bred,
A Blackburn lad.

Posted by: TwinCity | August 15, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow, going from HD coverage of Hull-Chelsea to the crappy, poor FSC coverage of Villa-Wigan is just painful. Is there a date for FSC HD yet? :-)

Posted by: Wyrm1 | August 15, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It's only a matter of time before ESPN signs the Jose Mourinho puppet for its Sunday NFL show. Shut up, Chris Berman. Shut up, numpties.

Posted by: IamAM | August 15, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Well -- I don't have HD and somehow I'm managing....

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Through Friedel's legs...that's gotta hurt.

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

sorry universityandpark, I did notice your tips on watching the Freedom on FSN, I just thought it'd be fun to say Goff doesn't like it...
Thanks for your insight on James fischy. I guess I over looked the fact that James couldn't have played in Champion's League as they are going directly to the group stage. I guess that's good news.
Open Cup I'd prefer to see DCU's strongest side starting. There's no point in not bringing the big guns in that match. Hopefully United can get some wins in the next couple league matches, get some draws on the road in the CCL and we reach September 2nd with the proper components ready to go.

Another question about that match is how many internationals are allowed to play in an Open Cup match? Is it 5? At this very moment what would everyone's Open Cup lineup be considering the International limitations to the roster?
Freddie Ljungberg didn't play in a single OC match so far. I think it'll be kind of funny to see him step in during the final. Reminding me of a certain Argentine last year...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 15, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I read that, following this game, Hull's coach is anxious to have Altidore back, praised him a bit.

Start, do you think?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 15, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Zamora scored for Fulham. I wonder if it's too late for Fabio Capello to cap him for England, and keep him from playing for T&T against the USA?

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

Is there interest on Zamora's part?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Would Disney have bothered with this match if they had foreseen this?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

What? They are showing the game because they have the contract to show the early EPL match, not because Jozy was potentially going to be on the field.

The lengths people will go to create martyrdom situations revolving around ESPN and soccer is laughable.

Posted by: beach3 | August 15, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

El Tri draws huge crowds in the US market. The Mexico US friendlies make money for everyone involved, SUM, FMF, the U.S. stadium owners. Yes, its kind of ironic that Mexico cashes in on its rich market neighbor but its just part of the further globalization of the game. Fan bases as we saw this summer are multinational. Brazil, Argentina and others play friendlies in Europe. Is that any different? We need some of those fans to watch MLS but thats another whole issue.

Posted by: sbg1 | August 15, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Altidore and his complications with his work permint are a f'in joke. WTF! Wasn't his hearing with the FA on Monday and didn't they decide he would get the work permit? So WTF is the problem! This is the reason I wish MLS was a better league.

Posted by: no_recess | August 15, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal dismantling Everton so far. Now 4-0. Sorry Timmy.

Can my Gunners get a trophy this year?? Any trophy would be fine with me.

Posted by: Hobes | August 15, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

Is there interest on Zamora's part?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 1:01 PM |
-----------------------------------------------

Not sure what you mean. Zamora played on England's youth teams. And, he turned down an invite to play for T&T in the '06 World Cup. I'm sure the only reason he's filed to switch associations now is that he's given up on getting into the England senior team. Maybe a last-minute inquiry from Cappello would change his mind...

Everton looks just horrible. I hope Howard can get past this. Even though the goals aren't his fault, this kind of shelling is bound to get in his head. Maybe the way Villa and Everton are struggling on defense is a good sign for the young Americans, Lichaj and Peterlin. Maybe, they'll get some action this year.

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what happened to the response I had for you earlier, fischy, but you're right about the second Chelsea goal. That's why I said Drogba wasn't going to lose(tie). He wanted it and definitely showed skill in order to even take the shross .

Posted by: sitruc | August 15, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 2:05 PM
___________________________________________

You sure seem to understand what I mean, since you've provided precisely the kinds of facts I was looking for. Thanks! However, if you were Zamora, wouldn't you be concerned about getting only a token cap or two? It might take more than an "inquiry" from Cappello.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies scored twice

Posted by: addick | August 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

How many of you watched the Chelsea-Hull City match and noticed the eerie similarities to the Mexico-USA WCQ? The unfavored visitors got an early lead, had to absorb the equalizer before halftime and lost near the end.THE DIFFERENCE was that Hull continued to look dangerous, hustled after EVERY ball and filled the mf gaps to the best of their (limited) abilities.(They are picked 19th in English books).
They were a pleasure to watch unlike our MNT which looked scared and played hesitantly.This is coaching, nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | August 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

So where's the pre-match thread Goff?

Line-ups from dcunited.com:

Wicks, Namoff, Jakovic, Burch, DiRaimondo, Wallace, Simms, Fred, Gomez, Quaranta, Emilio

Making me think:

----------------Wicks-----------------
----Namoff----Jakovic-----Burch-------
-----------Simms----Wallace-----------
DiRaimondo-----Gomez--------------Fred
-----------Tino------Emilio-----------

Posted by: alecw81 | August 15, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

bechtoldpk???

You forgot to mention the 7,200 height difference. I am sure there play was altered a bit because of that. but hey yeah you should, considering you have so much experience when it comes to altitude.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 15, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"We have sooooo many games, such a crowded schedule; it's so hard.." in 5-4-3-2...

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 15, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

@universityandpark: with guys like Heskey, Crouch, Bent in the England pool, Zamora is not at their level of big center forwards. He doesn't have the touch or consistency at the top level. That's why Spurs sold him because he scored a lot of goals in the lower divisions but couldn't reproduce at the top level.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 15, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Charisma_Man: You've filled in the missing pieces, Zamora is unlikely to get an "inquiry", he is going with T&T, end of story.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse