Sunday Kickaround

Morning reading material:

*Real Madrid and its roster of high-priced talent stop by FedEx Field today to face D.C. United.

*The Washington Freedom clinches a WPS playoff berth.

*More than 61,000 at Candlestick watch Barcelona and Chivas draw, 1-1, in the second game of a doubleheader.

*Real Maryland moves a step closer to the USL2 playoffs with an ejection-filled, 4-3 victory over Bermuda.

Watch Landon Donovan's casually sensational volley for the Galaxy's first goal in a 2-1 win at New England:

By Steve Goff  |  August 9, 2009; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , Real Madrid , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Real Madrid-DCU News & Notes
Next: Matchday: United-Real Madrid

Comments

Donovan scores a beauty and the kids wave a Beckham jersey...poor man will never get any respect.

Posted by: DCB23 | August 9, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

not sure but that looked like an intended cross to the back post.

Posted by: g3impreza | August 9, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: redskinsux | August 9, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

World class goal. Nice to see Becks leading the celebration. Arena has turned LA around. LA vs DC in the MLS Cup.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 9, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Sweet goal, plus it helped beat the Revs. Just do it on Wednesday and all will be good.

Posted by: delantero | August 9, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

A back post cross for who?That was a shot, and I think it would have gone in without the deflection.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 9, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant strike from Donovan. Goal of the year candidate for sure.

Posted by: invncbl | August 9, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I 100% agree with Dadryan, as it's exactly what I said when I posted the link to the highlights in the last thread.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Also, the Bundesliga style of play strikes again, and again, and again, as Michael Bradley's Monchengladbach takes a 3-0 lead on the road into half time, only to see it disappear into a 3-3 draw. Bradley started, picked up a yellow, and got subbed out in the second half.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCB23 | August 9, 2009 9:20 AM

Some loser kid waved his Gals Beckham shirt, big deal. What was he supposed to do, buy a Landon shirt during the celebration?

Excellent strike - fun to watch. And how 'bout that big hug from #23 afterward?? Galaxy aren't too shabby at the moment.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 9, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Donovan actually said something along the lines of he thought about a shot and then reconsidered and thought about a cross and then he decided to just hit it and see what happens. So yeah... it was a

Posted by: sitruc | August 9, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I thought about completing that sentence and then I thought about deleting it and then I just hit submit.

Posted by: sitruc | August 9, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Kenny Cooper gets the start, and scores in the 17th minute in 1860's 2-0 win.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Ben Foster will be on loan to a Pub league team after today's Charity Shield match. He turned some easy back passes into dangerous situations and was timid on Chelsea's first goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 9, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Decent article on the Madrid acquisitions but wish you had delved deeper into the financial misbehavior of the two Spanish banks who, in a period of financial difficulty for each, underwrote significant loans so that meglomanic Perez could buy every player he wanted. This is no different than the Galactico I era when Madrid had to sell their training grounds to the city with a sweetheart lease back deal to cover losses. Why does Madrid get away with this while Valencia face financial failure? I guess they are "too big to fail." With the Argentine league shut down because of finance problems, are we seeing the beginning of the end?

Posted by: agoldhammer | August 9, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I think Donovan was aiming at goal, even if he is not entirely clear about it in his recollections. It was a magnificent shot. One of the best goals in MLS history -- though I imagine the midfield shot by Lopez that beat Ricketts will be the goal of the year.

Posted by: fischy | August 9, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

So, Cooper scored. Nice start. Inquiring minds want to know if this was a real game, or a pre-season exhibition.

Posted by: fischy | August 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I do not see a deflection on the shot by Donovan. Looks like a beautiful bender to me.

Posted by: fischy | August 9, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

agoldhammer -- you know the answer to your question. Madrid gets away with such things because they've pretty much been the official team of the Spanish government, back through the Franco dictatorship all the way to now. They'll always get favorable treatment. That's just the way it is.

It's OK, though; they'll still suck.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 9, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, first game of the season.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 9, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | August 9, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________________________________

I thought the same thing. The last replay looks pretty clear that the defender jumped for the ball, but it went over his head. Beautiful shot... great goal.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 9, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

DCB23, I was there, and the listed attendance was 26,000+. 10,000 of them must have been wearing Beckham jerseys. I walked through the parking lot and saw a few Revs jerseys and then about 50 Beckham jerseys. I didn't realize how many tools there were in New England.

Then again, I'm speaking as someone who showed up to a Revs-Galaxy game in a Screaming Eagles jersey, cheered when Donovan scored (c'mon, it was magnificent!), then booed the Galaxy the rest of the game, and was quite apathetic when the Revs scored. I'm not sure I have any right to be calling anyone else a tool.

Posted by: kdiff813 | August 9, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

1. Great goal by Donovan. He really has come into his own this season. A win against mexico would be sweet!

2. way to go COOP! get promotion and be a bundesliga starter...

3. It does seem madrid is the official team of the spanish gov/biz elite. However, barcelona is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy cooler. I predict that barcelona will edge out madrid at the wire.

4. I hope dc beats madrid. dude, it is hot as a mug out there...so that could be the great equalizer...

Posted by: wordup1 | August 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | August 9, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________________________________

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 9, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

----

On the last slow-mo replay, it sure looks to me like it skips slightly off the defender's head. It's a great goal either way.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 9, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The King may like Real Madrid, but the Prime Minister of Spain is a Barca fan.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | August 10, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse