Thursday Kickaround

*It was a great night for MLS off the field as capacity crowds of 67,000 in Seattle and 20,000 in Bridgeview turned out for non-league matches. (Let's try to forget about the Red Bulls' attendance and performance since they barely resemble an MLS outfit.) But the results were rather disappointing as the Sounders barely crossed midfield in the second half and looked like children against men in a 4-0 loss to Barcelona. Meantime, the Fire fell to Tigres on penalty kicks after a 1-1 tie in the It's-Not-Just-a-Liga-It's-a-SuperLiga final.

*Rafael Marquez, Barcelona's Mexican defender, injured a calf this week and seems likely to miss the World Cup qualifier against the USA next week.

*Read about the D.C. United youth academy.

*DCU midfielder Clyde Simms is close to returning from hernia surgery and might see time against Real Madrid on Sunday. Friday's training session will be a good indicator of his progress.

*Was Dallas's 6-0 win over Kansas City last weekend a sign of recovery or an aberration? We'll find out tonight when the club visits hosts West-leading Houston (8:30 p.m., Direct Kick).

*In WPS, Sky Blue's 2-0 victory over Gold Pride draws the New Jersey club (7-7-5, 26) level with Washington for third place and sets up a showdown with the Freedom (7-7-5, 26) in the regular season finale Saturday night at Maryland SoccerPlex. Boston (7-8-4, 25) is also in the mix for one of the final two playoff slots but must play first-place Los Angeles.

*My live online chat at washingtonpost.com is today at 2 p.m. Submit questions in advance, follow the action and read the transcript at this link.

TV listings on the continuation.....

*Soccer on TV:
Copa Sudamericana, Alianza-Anzoategui 8 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
CONCACAF Champions League, Real Espana-Liberia 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  August 6, 2009; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Mexico , Q&A , Real Madrid , SuperLiga , TV , Women , Youth soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Bulls Eliminated
Next: USA Roster Prediction

Comments

Wow, huge news for Clyde and DCU. He's been missed. Badly.

Posted by: JkR- | August 6, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I love your stuff... I know there was a little he-said (you) she-said (Some RBNY clown) but just my opinion I think its time to end the subtle jabs at RBNY, we all know they stink, are a laughing stock, couldn't fill a high school stadium and probably would have a hard time beating the high school team that plays in that stadium....so we can continue to take shots at them, but you have the best soccer blog in the States, I think its time be a little more professional.....just sayin'

Posted by: PineyO | August 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"but just my opinion I think its time to end the subtle jabs at RBNY"

No! The jabs are appropriate and spot on. It's a blog, not strict journalism . . ergo keep heaping it on the Cows until they turn their play around.

Posted by: delantero | August 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

PINEYo

Question if a rat died in your walls today would you wait to report it to your landlord? why wait until the smell permeates your stuff?

for the health of your apartment report the smell...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Top snark, Goffer!

Fun activity - pick four teams from the Europa League qualifying matches for an all-silly name group stage...

I'm hoping for a

PFK Samara Kryliya Sovetov
FC Metalist Kharkiv
Rabotnicki Kometal
Young Boys

group of mirth

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

PineyO

Leaf Goffer alone!! If here were a United "homer," then maybe, maybe I could see your side of this. However, he is not, and he has said some things in the past about the home team that are right along the lines of his RBNY comments.

Chill out man!!

Posted by: torrey151 | August 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Those jabs are subtle? I think he is just reporting the truth.

Bad time to be a coach with a last name that begins with O. Onolfo, Osorio -- anyone else we need to put on the list?

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Responsible adults taking pot shots at embarassments.

See Derby County, "Premier League Club 2007-2008"

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 6, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

ps

Ives can sux it!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 6, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Simms is an IRON MAN. Hernia surgery and back already! This was the same thing that sat Gallardo out for 3/4s of the season!

Posted by: Springfie1d | August 6, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Sad about Marquez. Really tears me up. What a classy competitor.

Cobi Jones

Posted by: benonthehill | August 6, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I was listening to the audio Webcast of last night's Sky Blue match, and at one point the announcers mentioned that the club will stay at Rutgers next year. In other words, they will not be moving to the new home of the Pink Cows, which I found interesting. There was also a weird situation in which for some reason, an SB player was found to be not ready to go after the starting lineups had been handed in, and they were forced to use one of their three subs before the opening kickoff.

To continue a discussion from yesterday's threads, who will be replacing the several Europeans in the WPS All-Star XI? And how many players will there be on the overall squad? Which Freedom players are good candidates to be selected?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 6, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

This was the same thing that sat Gallardo out for 3/4s of the season!

Posted by: Springfie1d | August 6, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: Section117 | August 6, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

RM still has 28 players, and needs to sell 3 more...that should be interesting. Atletico are interested in Gago and Higuain.

Maybe Negredo is sold, or some of the Dutch...

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Simms just might be the key to the 3-5-2 Tommy's preferred this season. He's got the range and coverage of Wallace with the distribution that Olsen brings to the table - basically, he's the holding we need, even in a diamond 4-4-2. Really glad to see United riding out injuries this year, unlike last.

Now... about that left back situation, any word on the progress of negotiations with the new guy?

Posted by: TheAMT | August 6, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo was one of the players we never had in the season that never happened.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | August 6, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Great news about Simms Goff! Thanks. I just hope he's really ready to go, and isn't pushing it too early just to get on the field amongst the super stars..

I think if there was any disgrace about that Sounders match it was the droves of super fans leaving before the final whistle... Y'all still think they'll be "filling" Qwest if they continue to disappoint? Totally reminded me of going to Sonics games and half the arena walking out at the end of the 3rd quarter...

Will the Freedom's match be on tv on Saturday evening?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

While Joedoc is on vacation, I will attempt to fill his shoes:

Mama don't let your babies grow up to be Red Bulls
Don't let 'em kick round balls and play like dumb f***s
Make 'em be doctors and lawyers and such
Mama don't let your babies grow up to be Red Bulls
They'll never win at home where they’re always alone
Even with fans that they love
Red Bulls ain't easy to love and they’re stuck in a hole
And they'd rather give you a loss then score wins or a goal
Jerseys with pink cows and old faded DP’s
each night begins a new day
And if you don't relegate them and they don't die young
They’ll probl’y just fade away

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 6, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Springfie1d | August 6, 2009 10:07 AM
_______________________________
In fairness, Gallardo had a hernia on both sides, which increases the recovery time. Both Simms' and Gallardo's recoveries were about normal for the surgeries they had.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | August 6, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: Section117 | August 6, 2009 10:32 AM

You don't remember oft-injured midfield maestro, Guy Shardo? :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I wrote a really long essay of thoughts on US soccer growth this summer. It has been held for owner approval. It is slightly off topic to the days discussions. I hope it gets approved because it took me 15 minutes to write. If it does have at it with comments. Also, sorry for any grammatical errors but sometimes I lack a strong hold of the English language.

If it goes up there, Chest don't eat me alive.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

None of the fans will leave FedEx Field early on Sunday???

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 6, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

actually houston visits dallas. go dallas!

Posted by: qthomas1 | August 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like a little absence to make the heart grow fonder.

Honestly, though, I think Szetela and Simms will be our core once Olsen (he has to one day) bows out.

As for Marquez, while I am glad his red card antics will not be present, the thing I did like about him was that he was unstable emotionally, very arrogant, and could be beat by Donovan and Davies' pace. We'll see how the backups do.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 6, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

You don't remember oft-injured midfield maestro, Guy Shardo? :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I do, I was going for the dry laugh there.

Posted by: Section117 | August 6, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

None of the fans will leave FedEx Field early on Sunday???

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 6, 2009 10:55 AM |

Are DCU fans hanging their hats on bandwagon, cow herd, flavor of the month attendance figures? Nope, didn't think so. Seattle "fans" have, and looked stupid walking out on their team last night. I thought they were committed to "raising their scarves and giving us their full 90". Of course I expect a bunch of folks to leave Fed Ex early, I'm one upping them and not even going because it's pointless, and they aren't playing at home.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

To continue a discussion from yesterday, should the other MLS teams remaining in CCL (Houston and Columbus) be considered any better equipped to handle fixture congestion (i.e., deeper) than United? How about the other teams in the tournament? Or are they all in their offseason, so they can play their A sides game in and game out?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 6, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

None of the fans will leave FedEx Field early on Sunday???

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 6, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"fans" will not be in attendence Sunday...

only $ signs

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Justin Mapp is one of the suckiest sucks that ever sucked. For $250K/year, this clown can't even put a penalty on frame.

His is EASILY the worst contract in MLS since Lothar Mattheus.(sp?)

DCU fans, if you guys want this lazy piece of fetid feces back, we'll gladly take a couple of Moreno bobbleheads or a few used practice balls.

Posted by: khan1 | August 6, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Apropos of Kev29's list above, I've always found it amusing (and maybe slightly disturbing) that a club named "Young Boys" plays in a stadium called the "Wankdorf".

I suppose it provides some headline fodder though, like this:

Posted by: ricky_b | August 6, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Seattle fans left early only because they had to start their march to Real Tinto Stadium to show Real Salt Lake how real fans sing and stand for the whole game.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

To be honest, I would take Justin Mapp over Fred. Mapp is struggling right now, mainly because the Chicago Fire coach has showed him no confidence. Mapp still can compete. I saw some flashes last night. The Chicago coach has gone with Pappa and that has crushed Mapp. I told my brother right before Mapp struck the Pk he would miss it last night because Mapp is low on confidence.

Soccer a game all about confidence.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

OT, but today's dead tree edition's crossword puzzle includes "MLS" as the answer to 64 down, but the clue does not have anything to do with soccer. THIS PROVES THE POST HATES SOCCER!!! Waah, Waah!

;-)

Posted by: troy6 | August 6, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Good point grubbs. Too bad for the Sounders that RSL plays on grass now...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

------

Yippee!!

Posted by: WorldCup | August 6, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

DCU was saying there would be something special on the cover of the City Paper today... They also said it wasn't Real Madrid related...
Anyone see it yet?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer | August 6, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------------

I do not know the first thing about the WPS, but I do know some things about New Jersey. Rutgers is a lot closer to their natural fan base, who might feel a little leery about traveling to Harrison.

Posted by: fischy | August 6, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

His is EASILY the worst contract in MLS since Lothar Mattheus.(sp?)

Posted by: khan1

Lothar was bad, buy the Metrostars also signed that French guy, that in went to go visit his sick mother in 2006 in France. Funny that I saw him on TV hanging out with Zidane at the WC in Germany :)

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | August 6, 2009 11:26 AM

Oh, Man!!! I now know not to check the Insider if I haven't done the crossword puzzle, yet. There goes that activity for the day...tossed in the trash!

So, to recap, don't check the Insider if you plan on watching: any soccer game, Tour de France, rugby, swimming, track and field. Anything else?

/sarcasm, don't ya know

Posted by: DrBeaker | August 6, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Front page ESPN OTL story about USMNT WCQ...

(dontcha love acronyms?)

Posted by: the_slammer | August 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl

Wow. No offense, but you're very wrong. Mapp STILL is the same lazy, worthless, 1-footed player he was when he was with DCU. HE CAN'T EVEN START, because he sucks so much.

Amazing that $250K/yr used to be roughly what Piotr Nowak made. Now, it buys a 1-footed, 1-way backup that can't hit a PK? I'm old and I can hit a PK. There are 8 year olds that can at least put it on frame.

Posted by: khan1 | August 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking

At least that french guy started for the metros. Mapp, at $250k/yr CAN'T START. He's still the same player he was when the FIRE picked him up. He sucks, and if you're a professional, you should be able to put a PK on frame.

Posted by: khan1 | August 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Nice guerilla marketing, and not a bad way to point out to DC residents that United really is the only team in the city that can win.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 6, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@BaRRD: I could hear Willie and Waylon in my mind's ear. I needed to laugh today.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 6, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
Yeah, I've been seeing those in the Express for the last few weeks. To be honest, though, I only visited the website once I realized what "09 02 09" meant, so the whole thing might be a bit TOO subtle if they're trying to wrangle in casual fans.

Posted by: MattinSW | August 6, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 11:22 AM

No singing or standing - in the SLC they Riotintostadium.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@the_slammer

Thanks for flashing us.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4336&d=1249566964 (look to the left of the ad)

Posted by: spikeman | August 6, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DrBeaker
==============

Burn Notice and Whale Wars.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Haha, thank the Washington City Paper and whoever posted that on BigSoccer...not me.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, prices for the UCOC Final are $12-30? If the Madrid game makes a ton of money and the final gets a big crowd, then maybe the front office is much more adept at intelligent ticket prices than previously though....

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 6, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

my question to DCU... why are they screwing over the Supporters and Season Ticket holders by offering such discounted tickets now?? why not prior to the start of the season? and what, if anything, will they do to calm the angry supporters and season ticket holders...

IMHO supporters and season ticket holders need protest..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 6, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Goff where is my essay? It couldn't have been that bad. I didn't use a bad word in it -well I said ESPN like 5 times. I made good points about this summer being a huge stepping stone in the growth of soccer in the United States.

The OTL front page story only enhances my argument.

And when does Seattle officially become the first Super Club of the MLS?

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

bonghits4gomez, the season ticket holders are being sent t-shirts. Hopefully the STHrs will accept it for what it is. If you don't like the shirt, give it to your friend that you've convinced to come out for the biggest game of the year. I know lots of STHrs have their own jerseys and probably don't want the shirt, but it's a fair consolation if you ask me. Maybe the shirts will have the date printed on them, with that logo trophy logo or something on the back....
Maybe they'll say we win trophies on the back?
who knows...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 6, 2009 1:00 PM

Our wallets can thank the Sounders for whining about the Final venue and cracking on United.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

why protest a discount? and how could they have offered lower ticket prices for an Open Cup final in preseason?

@grubbsbl: They can call themselves a Super Club when they actually win a trophy.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 6, 2009 10:20 AM

============

There are supposed to be 18 players in the final roster, which leaves 12 to be named (5 to replace the missing Europeans, plus 7 on the bench).

I think Wambach will be on the final roster (would also like to see De Vanna, but I don't think it's going to happen). Also rooting for Whitehill or Sauerbrunn to be named, but not holding my breath.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 6, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 1:29 PM

Sounders fans will be happy to tell you how they've won plenty of NW Sasquatch Cups over the Timbers and USL Championships over the Albuquerque Green Chile Nachos.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

bonghits et al

Am I nuts or is the USOC final not already included in season tickets as Special Game D?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

And when does Seattle officially become the first Super Club of the MLS?

===

Salary Cap.

Posted by: mason08 | August 6, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Great piece by Tenorio on the DCU youth Academy Still a bit surprised that the team added Allen, rather than one of the young goalies. Perhaps that reflects a sober assessment of their readiness, or perhaps it is a sign that DCU has eyes on 2 other players...maybe Najar and Perez, or Hegngi.

Posted by: fischy | August 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

BaRRD, he's wondering if Season ticket holders are feeling burnt that the Open Cup tickets are selling for $12-$22. I was pointing out that season ticket holders are supposedly having shirts mailed out to them as a consolation. Seems fair to me. If you don't like the shirt, give it to a friend.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, DadRyan

I'm not feeling burnt at all. I'm glad Special Game D is meaningful. We're forced to buy 5 extra tickets with no idea what games they might cover. A cup final is better than whatever else they might have made us sit through.

But then again, I'm sort of a "Special Game D Cup half full" kind of girl.
(Don't go there, Dad!)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I wont...I know two of the special games were play in's for Open Cup, so you must have gotten the home leg CCL play in, the Open Cup Final, and which Champion's League group stage match do you get?

I guessing they'll give you guys a break on the extra CCL tickets. I'm hoping they put together an affordable package for those matches soon.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 1:29 PM

@Dad, I lived in Albuq for about 11 years. Believe it or not there really was a team called the Nex Mexico Chiles that played in ABQ. They actually made it to the Finals of the US Open cup and lost to some team from Texas in the 90s. They were pretty good for the level they were at. A few players went to MLS when it started in 1996.

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 7, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"To be honest, I would take Justin Mapp over Fred."

If this is the general consensus, then I will refoke my DC United/Soccer fanship forever.

Posted by: dogboy | August 7, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse