Tuesday Kickaround

Cool, overcast morning here in Mexico D.F.: 60 degrees with a chance of rain at the moment. High temperature Wednesday for the match will be around 75 with scattered thunderstorms. There is a misperception that, because it's Mexico, it must be hot all the time. But here at 7,300 feet, the temperature is usually quite comfortable. The air quality and absence of oxygen are what get you.

*Following up our report Monday that Freddy Adu is on the brink of joining Odense on loan, the Danish club says it is interested in him but no deal is in place. Here is a very loose translation of the story from a Danish media outlet.

*Jozy Altidore's British work permit to play for Hull City has been approved. He celebrated yesterday by joining the USA squad in Miami ahead of the flight to Mexico City later today.

*Read the Reuters story about Mexican-American Jose Francisco Torres, who was selected by the USA for the match at Azteca. In Mexico, "People say I am a traitor, that I am a racist because I am with the U.S. team, but it is part of soccer."

*With all 105,000 tickets at Azteca sold, scalpers are seeking about 10 times face value. General admission seats valued at around $9 are going for $90. Lower bowl seats for $45 are now $375. I remember coming here in 1997 for a USA-Mexico qualifier, and although I had a media credential, I purchased a cheap ticket at the official box office for memorabilia purposes just an hour before kickoff.

Stay with this thread for today's TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
England Carling Cup, Bury-West Brom 2:45 p.m. ET Setanta
Copa Sudamericana, LDU Quito-Libertad 5 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Sudamericana, Blooming-River Plate 8 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  August 11, 2009; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  England , Mexico , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: USA-Mexico
Next: Gulati: Bradley Is World Cup Coach

Comments

I come to Bury-West Brom, not to praise him.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"Years ago Freddy Adu was God's present for the football from awful own country, the US."

Posted by: the_slammer | August 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

In 2001 there was something like 20K tix available in the weeks leading up to the match and they ended up giving away a bunch just to make sure it was filled.

Posted by: srfinger | August 11, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I come to Bury-West Brom, not to praise him.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 10:05 AM

{golf clap}

Posted by: Kev29 | August 11, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I understand Torres completey, many Latinos who cheer for the US or sometimes even our local MLS club (DC UNITED)get that same type of treatment from other latinos.

Some people just have the word Racist on the tip of there tongue...

VAMOS ESTADOS UNIDOS

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 11, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Shameful treatment toward Torres.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 11, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

interesting note from grant wahl

"One U.S. team that will really endure the full-altitude treatment is D.C. United, which has to play at Toluca in the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions Cup. At 8,793 feet, Toluca is a lot higher even than Mexico City. Enjoy the trip, guys."

Posted by: OWNTF | August 11, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Lower bowl seats for $45 are now $375."

We'll know where to find DadRyan...

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

While I don't remember anyone ever calling Rossi raciest, I do remember him getting quite a lot of stick from member on this blog. I feel for Torres myself. I also think he is a great addition to US's squad and one day will be part of the engine that is our midfield.

Just keepin it fair and balanced.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 11, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I've had hail in late summer in DF...

Posted by: Reignking | August 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Final WPS All-Star team to face Umea. Brazilian attackers, American defenders.

Starters:

Heather O'Reilly M
Christine Sinclair F
Hope Solo GK
Abby Wambach F
Cat Whitehill D

Posted by: OWNTF | August 11, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

The rain should improve the air quality I would think. Of course it's acid rain, but it should clean up the smog a bit shouldn't it?

Good for Gringo Torres. I hope he gets a shot tomorrow, maybe Bradley has been saving his secret weapon for this match?;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I still find Rossi very "raciest."

Posted by: no_recess | August 11, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Wet turf? I hope this doesn't cause Mexican players to slip or fall when someone barely touches them...

Posted by: Reignking | August 11, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Ha, ha Reignking. I think the forecast will be, "90% chance for heavy diving, with a 100% chance of complaining to the ref when they don't get the call"

Posted by: pecanturtle | August 11, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Just a heads up about TV coverage of the game tommorow. I am sure everyone knows that the game is being carried by mun2 only. I saw a tv spot last night that said the channel will be available for anyone that has DirecTV whether they subscribe to the channel or not. So basically, if you have DirecTV you will get the game tommorow. My direcTV has mun2 listed 2 places for some reason. you may want to set your DVR for both to be safe. Channels 459 & 410.

Posted by: jjfooty | August 11, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

mun2 only if you need to hear it English. The Spanish language broadcast of the game has been scheduled for Telemundo, which many folks get w basic cable, for quite some time.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 11, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Capello is a Eurosnob

England has a good enough team that it can insist that all of its players be starters for top-quality clubs. MLS is the league DCU plays in, and I love and respect it, but it is not a top-quality league, and the clubs that play in it are not top-quality clubs.

While the US team has improved by leaps and bounds, it achieves its results not by the skill of its players but rather by hard work and cohesion. So many people want BB to include the player-of-the-week into his lineups and get so upset when he keeps guys on the team who obviously are not the best players the US has available. The answer is simple--he only has these guys together for a week or two at a time four or five times a year. For them to play like a team, they need to be the same group of guys that played together the last time. And BB isn't developing the *skills* of any of them (as I've heard some people suggest). The only development that happens is players getting used to playing with the guys on the national team, playing the style of international soccer and playing in front of passionate fans (something an MLS player rarely experiences).

The bottom line is that teams like England, Holland, Brazil, etc. win because their players are the best in the world, and nobody playing in MLS is the best in the world. The US wins (when it wins) because it runs its brains out and everybody on the field is playing for the team, defending en masse and attacking en masse. (I particularly remember commentary on a Confed Cup game, where the European commentators were impressed at how many US players were pushing into the adversary's third when we had the ball.) Not that skill is a bad thing for a US player to have--it's just that Bob is too smart to think that skill/technique is how the US is going to win a game against a European or S. American side. Or against Mexico, for that matter. And Capello is too smart to think that a player on an MLS team is maintaining the skills and on-field habits that mark a world-quality player.

Go USA!

Posted by: glfrazier | August 11, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks jjfooty

Go USA!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | August 11, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Mexican was a race...

Posted by: bigbadbri | August 11, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think I'm going to miss the game, unfortunately. It doesn't appear the my cable company carries MUN2 or Telemundo in my town (South Central PA).

Saw Wynalda talking about the game last night. Said that the only hope the US had for this game was if it rained. Said the tie the US got there was in the rain and that the rain clears out the air enough to make it bearable. He said otherwise, there is no way to train for the air, even at altitude.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | August 11, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pecanturtle

Well, considering we are at Azteca, there's a 100% chance the U.S. won't get any calls.

Posted by: delantero | August 11, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

What's sad is that 95% of the Mexicans I work with, even if they were born here in the U.S., still support Mexico in these games. I can understand if they were born in Mexico, but come on, if you call yourself an American, then you put the stars and stripes first . .

---especially when you consider how classless the Mexican players have been in these games. Dirty and cheap come to mind.

Posted by: delantero | August 11, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Agreed glfrazier. Tongue in cheek. And also feeding the Beckham haters who can't seem to grasp why he does what he does.

Didn't always care for Beckham, but I'm getting increasingly partial to old dudes (and Brandi) trying to stay at the top, figuring out how to use wisdom and experience to compensate for the consequences that time brings to us all . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 11, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjfooty

JJfooty I believe Directv will also be showing Mun2 on channel 203. I think this is due to some of the 400 channels needing a special dish to get the some foreign language programming. Just a heads up. I found this out cause my receiver had a message from directv letting me know about it.

Posted by: GEMMELL | August 11, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

WSJ says mun2 is getting picked up for the day by AT&T U-verse, Charter, Comcast, DirecTV, DISH, and Time Warner Cable, making it available in 67 million homes; mun2 is normally available in 31 million

Posted by: OWNTF | August 11, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll disagree with that delantero, except for the last part.

If for whatever reason I'm living in Japan sometime (or wherever) and DC United, the Steelers, or USA team comes to play the locals, I'm rooting for United, the Steelers and the US.

My sports loyalty doesn't move with my mailing address.

Posted by: JkR- | August 11, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

That's what I'm saying . . if you are a born and raised American of Mexican heritage and you still cheer for Mexico over the U.S., you should re-evaluate your address.

If you are Mexican born but living in the United States, then please, cheer for Mexico. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Posted by: delantero | August 11, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

JkR - I think you missed his point: if you're born here, support the US team. If you were born elsewhere, but now live here, then it's understandable that loyalty could be with the "home" team.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 11, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

But sports loyalty is often passed down through family. My DC area born son roots for the Steelers, not the 'skins.

It takes more than one generation to switch allegiances, I believe. Give it time.

Posted by: JkR- | August 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

you know whats funny an american (born and raised) whose parents are from mexico and columbia (just an example) calling himself mexican, or colombian but never calling himself American.lol You see that alot here in VA.

Lets go US

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 11, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Comcast for the City of Alexandria says that the US @ Mexico qualifier is being shown on channel #178 tomorrow.

Posted by: gooner71 | August 11, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I kinda agree with delantero on this. It will take more US wins and more generations for the American-born descendants of Mexican immigrants to root for the US. But their preference to identify with Mexicans rather than Americans probably goes deeper than soccer.

I have a bigger problem with 3rd or 4th generation Americans of European descent picking their ancestors' nations' teams over the US.

"But sports loyalty is often passed down through family." JkR

Sometimes it's passed up. My son likes the Terps, so I root for the Terps in men's soccer (because Florida doesn't have a men's team).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Mexisnobs!

Posted by: Reignking | August 11, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

It's not really much different than guys born and raised here going in their green jerseys to see Ireland play when they come to Boston every couple years. It happens with all nationalities.

I called Comcast. Was told they aren't carrying MUN2 or Telemundo where I live. I did check on my cable channel listings to see of anything was on channel 178 and the channel is open, so hopefully, they'll push the channel to me just for tomorrow.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | August 11, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say "Florida"?!

"Well I've been to Alabama, people, ain't a whole lot to see
Skynyrd says it's a real sweet home but it ain't nothing to me
Charlie Daniels will tell you the good Lord lives in Tenessee, ha!
But I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free

There's a gator in the bushes, he's calling my name,
And a sayin' "Come on boy, you better make it back home again!"
There's many roads I've traveled
They all kind of look the same
There's a gator in the bushes, Lord, he's calling my name..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 11, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey CrippledKeeper,

Worst case scenario, watch it online...I usually start at

www.atdhe.net

It will show the days listings of games, and then update them before each game, as sometimes there are more than one live feed of the game...

Posted by: alan19 | August 11, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Alan!

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | August 11, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Try channelsurfing.net, too.

Posted by: Reignking | August 11, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

No problem Crippled...No way you should miss the game...We need all the hoodoo gris-gris we can get...

According to weather.com, at gametime the temp will be 73 degrees with a 40% chance of rain...That could be good for us...

Posted by: alan19 | August 11, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

he was born in texas, what's the issue?

Posted by: rleit64 | August 11, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I remember one year Mike Petke passed out while running in one of those w/high elevation. He fell on the opponent. They revived him and gave him a red card for taking down the opponent. Go figure.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 11, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc1,

I have long appreciated and admired your lyrical additions to this blog, but I wonder if I could humbly request that you start citing the band/singer/poet you are quoting from?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to wonder who you are quoting.
Thanks!

Posted by: WorldCup | August 11, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with I-270. On my old college team we had two kids who were 3rd generation Italians. Granted the were a hundred percent, one kid had never even been to Italy in his whole life. Yet, he would rarely watch a US game or when he did he would complain that the US sucks and constantly tell me how good Italian football is. Go figure.

I guess we can't win em all over.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 11, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

In order for the US to win they must watch Rocky IV. If Rocky can defeat Ivan Drago in Russia, I am the US can beat Mexico in the Estadio Azteca. I'm just saying.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 11, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@WorldCup: Consider it done!

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 11, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinAddict | August 11, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's training should consist of mental preparation:

"Rocky IV"
"Miracle"
"Victory"

...and maybe the scene from "Hoosiers" where they measure the basket to show it's the same height as any other.

Just a thought.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. The Gold Cup loss is analogous to Apollo Creed's death.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: addick | August 11, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Excellent. I had to suppress my laughter, lest my co-workers think I'm crazier than usual.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

The thing is that for people born in Mexico and to the south of Mexico, especially people born in South America, the term "American" does not only refer to people born in the US. We consider all people born in the Americas, Americans. I was born in Bolivia (lived here most of my life) and I consider myself very much an American. I love the US team and I support them but they certainly are not my favorite and neither is Bolivia though of course I will also support them. I love the Argentine National team, I have since I was six. Sometimes you love who you love. Another thing you have to understand about Mexicans, they are very patriotic and the love they have for their country is so strong that it is something they will always pass onto next generations even if those generations are not born in Mexico.

Posted by: Benito6 | August 11, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Referee: "OK, the United States wins the coin flip. Do you have any questions?"

Oguchi Onyewu: "I am Gooch. I must break you."

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh poor red bulls.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 11, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

...jonesing for an afternoon update...

Posted by: nairbsod | August 11, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanx for my Molly Hatchet fix today joedoc1, one of my favorites. And I just took that CD out of the car last week, drats.

Glad this game is on later than I had originally thought, plenty of time to get home to enjoy it with the proper buzz. I thought I'd have to DVR it and watch later, I hate doing that, my mojo only works if I watch LIVE - I mean how is Bob Bradley going to hear me screaming at my TV four hours after the fact? ;-)

Posted by: dcufan | August 11, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

...jonesing for an afternoon update...

Posted by: nairbsod | August 11, 2009 4:20 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

It gets tough when our candyman is on an airplane.

Posted by: fischy | August 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@Crippled --

Not sure where you are, but I just spoke to the folks at 1-800-COMCAST who said that it is being carried by Comcast tomorrow. In my area (Calvert County, MD), it is also 178. You might want to call again & check on the channel, in case it is different in your area.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 11, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

fischy - actually he was on a plane yesterday, not today.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 11, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

He should have been in Mexico City two weeks ago, doing high-altitude blogging.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 11, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey everybody im new to the blog. i was just wondering why FIFA allows games l as important as these to be played at altitude.

Posted by: SaintIker | August 11, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, do you know anything about the possibility of ESPN showing BPL matches this season? Has a deal been struck?

Posted by: peridigm | August 11, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Two Questions:
1)Is Comcast Sportsnet readily available on most TV's down in Charlottesville Va? As in, is it on pretty much every cable network down there like it is here in Arlington? I.E. my buddy across the street has FIOS but has Comcast.

2)Has anyone else noticed that Comcast is broadcasting UEFA Champions League next week?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: I live in Richmond and we get CSN on Comcast. My daughter is at UVA(Charlottesville) and also gets CSN. Therefore it is my belief that your buddy will also have CSN.

Posted by: SaintIker | August 11, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Well -- Team USA is probably just arriving, so Goff hasn't had much chance to come up with news. In Goff's case, it's no the altitude he has to worry about. It's the water. Stay thirsty, my friend....

Posted by: fischy | August 11, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Comcast normally broadcast replays during the week for BPL. What matches are scheduled for UEFA CL next week?

Posted by: peridigm | August 11, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey SaintIker, right off the bat you're making yourself useful!Thank you. I've sworn off missing anymore DCU matches on tv due to birthday parties for the rest of the season. Enough is enough! Sounds like I'll be good to go down there this weekend.:-)

I'm not the most qualified to answer the FIFA question, but considering they've got no problems with the US trying to ICE Mexico by hosting their leg in Columbus in February, I don't think they'd have much to say to Mexico asking them to come on back to Azteca.

@peridigm: I'm familiar with the EPL replays on comcast. My discovery of the Champions league coverage was an accident when I was looking for DCU and or Freedom replays next week here:

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Yo Sportsnut21, before anyone takes that pitch invasion article too seriously, recognize that some of the facts in that article aren't factual... I.E. the timeline that suggests that the "scarfing of Seattle" was a major influence in season ticket sales... The scarfing campaign actually didn't take place until right before the season started. They are still MOSTLY a product of excellent marketing to a deprived herd of dejected and rejected NBA, and NFL fans, but that story isn't exactly the most factual journalism.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 11, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

IF DON'T KNOW HOW TO WATCH THE GAME, BUT HAVE COMCAST AND LIVE IN D.C. READ THIS!!!

I live in the District and have Comcast cable (I believe that I have some sort of expanded digital cable package). Here's the channels where I expect to be able to watch the game:

* Telemundo (in Spanish) - channel 12

* mun2 (reportedly in English, albeit with Marcelo Balboa, aka the Idiot, calling the game) - channel 178

Based on everything that I see on my cable set-up, that would appear to work. Hope it works for you too.

And let's go U.S.A.!!!!!! Let's go for the jugular against El Tri and relegate them to the BOTTOM OF CONCACAF!!!! If we could eke out a win, or even a tie, the double whammy of solidifying our World Cup standing and devastating theirs would be so incredibly, indescribably, unfathomably sweet. (I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful. C'mon guys, let's pull out this one.....)

Posted by: mannewskie | August 11, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

mun2 is channel 838 on dish. i moved here when i was 11..if it's a usa-switzerland game, well....the roots get 'ya..

Posted by: gode | August 12, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SaintIker | August 11, 2009 6:23 PM
________________________________________________

Actually, FIFA did try to set an altitude cutoff not long ago. The limit was in the neighborhood of 9,000 to 10,000 feet, so Azteca wouldn't have been affected anyway. However, they backed down after protests from countries such as Bolivia, most of whose major venues are at such altitudes.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 12, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse