Tuesday Kickaround

*Sputtering in league play, D.C. United shifts gears and commences CONCACAF Champions League group play tonight against Marathon in Honduras.

*Negotiations between Benfica and Odense concerning a Freddy Adu loan have broken down, according to this report.

*Is a 15-year-old American heading to Arsenal's youth academy?

*The Red Bulls sign Walter Garcia, a 25-year-old defender from Argentina's second division, and Chivas USA adds 22-year-old forward Jesus Padilla on loan from the mothership in Mexico, where the San Jose native rose through the youth academy and made 24 first-team appearances.

*Americans abroad:

Euro Champions League, Sporting Lisbon-Fiorentina 4:45 p.m. Setanta
Euro Champions League, Celtic-Arsenal 5 p.m. (taped) FSC
CONCACAF Champions League, Columbus-Puerto Rico 8 p.m. FSC, Galavision
CONCACAF Champions League, Marathon-DCU, 10 p.m. FSC
CONCACAF Champions League, Pumas-Comunicaciones 10 p.m. Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  August 18, 2009; 9:10 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , England , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: And the Actual Retail Price Is.....
Next: Champions League and MLS

Comments

I can't wait for Freddy to come running back to MLS like all the other recent failures. Someone will drop another couple million on the baby jesus, alls grown up.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | August 18, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Poor Freddy...

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I had to do a double-take when I saw "Euro Champions League" next to "Fox Soccer Channel". I don't remember ESPN ever showing the pre-group stage games. Let's hope Fox does a good job with the broadcasts, and that FSC HD arrives soon.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | August 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Steve, I thought saw somewhere on FSC that the Celtic/Arsenal would be shown live on Fox Sports Net, has that changed?

Posted by: addick | August 18, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

FSC HD no time soon, lets say by when DCU gets their own stadium.

Posted by: TheJim1 | August 18, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

My new favorite Moldovan team:

"The club was founded in 1997 by the Sheriff company, which in 2002 constructed the luxurious Sheriff Stadium in Tiraspol to serve as the team's home ground."

How many shots on Sheriff FC will Olympiacos have today? But I know they won't have any shots on Deputy FC.

Posted by: csd1 | August 18, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I read that the goal is to have FSC HD by 1/1/10 - I hope that happens.

I think you're right about the pre-group stage matches, I don't recall ESPN showing them - that's one of the advantages of having a soccer-only network gaining the rights. I have to imagine they are pretty pleased since they get to show Celtic-Arsenal as opposed to whatever else they would show on a Tuesday afternoon in August.

Posted by: Baltimore1202 | August 18, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Who is letting Orsorio sign anybody? As much as I hate NY the least they could do is bring in a new coach and give him a chance to start working on a team for next year, not that that hack bring in more worthless foreign players that won't stay with the new coach.

Posted by: DCUinCT | August 18, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

That's definitely bad news for Freddy. He needs to be playing somewhere.

Posted by: sitruc | August 18, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@csd1. Nice. But now I've got Marley and Clapton competing for my attention when I'm supposed to be working.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 18, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Bad new for Freddy. I wonder if he paid a small portion of his salary back to Benfica if that could make a deal work.

Posted by: billindmd | August 18, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Interesting juxtaposition, the Adu story and the Gil story. We'll never know what would have happened had a 15 year old Freddie gone into a solid European youth system rather than choosing apotheosis with MLS, but I suspect his story would have a happier ending than we are likely to see.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 18, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

the Celtic v. Arsenal game is being shown live on ComcastSportsNet. IN HIDEF.

12:00pm Barclays Premier League '09-'10 (L-DB) (almost positive this is the Tottenham game from sunday)
2:00pm UEFA Champions League Pregame (L)
2:30pm UEFA Champions League Soccer: Celtic FC vs. Arsenal (L-HD)

Posted by: crocken | August 18, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm not for telling people what to do (except when it comes to singing the national anthem), but Freddy should not come back to MLS. One of two things will happen if he does: (A) the expectations of hm will be unrealistic, or (2) he'll be stigmatized. Either way, it will wreck his remaining confidence.

And thanks, very much, to all for the comments yesterday.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

ComcastSportsNet Mid Atlantic
2:00pm UEFA Champions League Pregame (Live)
2:30pm UEFA Champions League Soccer: Celtic FC vs. Arsenal (Live-HD)

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Oops - crocken beat me to it!

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

How long after you typed Midtjylland did you just stare at it wondering if it was really correct or not?

Read more like a place where a Superman villain hails from.

Posted by: kolbkl | August 18, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see another Scottish team crap out early...

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I added the Comcast SportsNet game to the listings. Thanks for the heads up

Posted by: Steve Goff | August 18, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 18, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

steve,
any chance united switches to a 4-4-2 for this match. as we've seen over the past few weeks the 3-5-2 breaks down way too easily.

Posted by: andrew23 | August 18, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Fredddy come back to MLS! ....

WHEN YOU ARE 36!

Posted by: arswift24 | August 18, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I would totally play for FC Sheriff

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 18, 2009 10:14 AM

JfA - speaking of Moldovan football, check this book out, it's fantastic...

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

What game is on mun2 today?

Posted by: IamAM | August 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, your post y'day on the angry rhino got me thinking . . . . any word on how the Sol player (Slater) who also had her leg broken at the Plex is doing? And Daniella? There were rumors D might return for the WPS playoffs.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Miles_Standish_Proud, just for the record ESPN did broadcast preliminary rounds of Champion's League last year.

Glad to see Kev29's prophecy about Fox throwing the basic cable folks a bone with Champion's League this year have come true.
Even better they won't be preempting the Malcolm in the Middle and Bernie Mac reruns on FX!;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: andrew23 | August 18, 2009 10:15 AM

Can we do this without Namoff? Who would play right back, McTavish?

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

At a Champions League qualifier, the stadium security stopped the FC Sheriff coaching staff before they stepped on to the field and asked to see their credentials. The head coach said (you know what's coming, don't you), "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@BlackandRedRedDevil -- I was about to post almost the same comment, word for word, when I saw you'd beaten me to the punch (that's not un-PC, is it?). Adu certainly came in with much more hype, but I wonder if Gil's upside isn't higher to begin with. In any case, it seems that Gil is making a smarter move in terms of learning his craft. Adu chose to take a sure, relatively big payday, rather than struggle through an academy system, playing against bigger and stronger lads. We'll never know of how or even if Adu might have benefited from that kind of apprenticeship -- but, it does seem Gil is going about this with the long-term more firmly fixed in his mind.

I really look forward to watching him run the USA midfield in, say, 2018, and again in 2022 -- maybe with the home-field advantage in one of those cups, and led by an Arsenal-trained midfielder, the USA can go deep in the tournament.

It as you say -- and I was about to write -- a fascinating juxtaposition.

Posted by: fischy | August 18, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"MF Alejandro Bedoya 90 in Orebro's 2-0 win over Djurgarden"
============

Is this the same as a beergarden?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 18, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Fox has stated in some forums that they hope to have the HD situation resolved by January.

However, I'm not so sure what that means to the average subscriber. On most cable systems it's in the sports tier, and who knows if for FSC to be received in HD that would require another channel (I'm not a cable engineer, I just play one on the phone to the miserable folks at Comcast), probably not in the post analog world. But maybe it does require your sports tier to increase in price based on the subscriber fee that FSC would want to charge providers for their increased production costs.

Max Bretos is expensive talent ;)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 18, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Comunicaciones"?!

"Ultraviolet,
Radio light
To your solar system
On a beam of light.

This is telecomunicaciones,
Telecomunicaciones
Telecomunicaciones,
Telecomunicaciones..."

A Flock of Seagulls, "Telecommunicaciones," (modified), circa 1981

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 18, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@Kev29, Dave Johnson was saying that Namoff wasn't on the travel roster during the Toronto game.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

You don't need to have 30 years of soccer experience to see the US is hurting at left back!

From The Sports Guy (sorry to plug another sports outlet, Goff) and his trip to Mexico for the qualifier:

Posted by: jermWV | August 18, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't FC Sheriff play at Nottingham Forrest?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 18, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@IamAM - The primetime lineup for mun2 tonight includes Reventon and an exciting new episode of El Cartel!

Cadena uses a high level kidnapping to his advantage. Eliana faces new family drama. Sofía learns some unexpected news about her pageant. All that Fresita needs to retire is a final pay day and Cadena's blessing. Will either come his way?

Posted by: DCUMD | August 18, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@Joe Doc: Mary, Mary. Quite contrary. How does Djurgarden grow?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't FC Sheriff play at Nottingham Forrest?
Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil
==============================

If they could, they Sherwood.

OK. I've done enough damage for one morning.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@I-270: I believe that's a question for DadRyan.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 10:52 AM

Indeed - I was wondering what formation we'll be able to play without him.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Q's
How old is Adu now? How long is he contracted to Benfica? How much does he make a year?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Kind of worried that this team will get destroyed by speed tonight if we use the same old 3-5-2 with Janicki and Burch both in the lineup. Really hoping for something like…

Kocic
McTavish-Janicki-Jakovic-John
Szetela-Olsen-Jacobson-Wallace
Moreno-Emilio

Posted by: DCUMD | August 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Since we've already won the Atlantic Cup this year, our "We Win Trophies" shirts are NOT for naught . . . no matter what happens the next few weeks . . . .

So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

At times Freddy Adu can be brilliant, at others he seems lazy. When he was with United, he thought he just needed to lace the boots and success would magicly fall into his lap and who could blame him. At aprox. 16 years old he had already won the Golden Boot in every under age World Cup he played in.

I wonder if he has been humbled enough to come back to MLS and just be a regular player? Is it possible that he might end up wearing the Black & Red? If the price were right (a free transfer)
I would give him another try...say $50,000 and incentives. Or does he still want to play for Man U, AC, Real and Bayern?

Does the MLS structure incentive laden contracts?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 18, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF

a story on STLToday about 9 days ago said:

"Also not making the trip is midfielder Daniela. While she's making progress in recovering from her knee injury, it increasingly looks as if she will come up a week or so short on being able to return to action."

i guess there's next year. and i read recently that most of the German players didn't come to WPS this year to help prepare for WWC 2011 - does that mean they won't play in WPS next year either? seems strange.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 18, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If anyone cares but reading about Padilla's move to the Gringo Goats is alot controversial than most would think...Guadalajara is proud to only play/train Mexican born players...
Padilla is not native...(the US squad should reach out to him...)

just thought I would say something...

Also

Mr Goff, Do you know of any rumors about the USL being put on the market is true and that MLS is in the front running to buy the league..?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 18, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Luis Gil scores a goal in Arsenal youth academy game:

"Strikers Zak Ansah and Nigel Neita set Arsenal on their way before defender James Campbell thumped home number three. American Luis Gil then added number four before two other trialists completed a 5-0 demolition. Charlton held their own in the second half and goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cooke did well to keep a clean sheet after being peppered with shots."

courtesy of http://youngguns.wordpress.com/

Posted by: adamsunited | August 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

***********

Unfair. Freddy chose to play for his hometown team, and WE WERE THRILLED. He chose to mature at home with his mother and younger brother, and we rejoiced at his human decisions.

And although I have never seen Gil play live, I saw Freddy at the youth level many times, and he had tremendous potential -- both as a striker himself and in his unselfish relationship with his older teammates. I am just so sorry to see him at this pass -- but I wish him luck.

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 18, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand how Gil has done so well, without going through the ODP system?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 18, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

3rd jersey sure would have come in handy tonight. Maybe United will throw down with the white shirt/black shorts combo? Maybe some creativity with the kit could spark some creativity on the field?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 11:56 AM

We really, really, really need some fresh kits. The two dull choices from the start of the VW sponsor era are not getting it done.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: first I would say that if United changed their kits, the players wouldn't know whom to pass the ball to. But, as they give the ball away in the final third anyway, having an unaccustomed kit might be the thing to do.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Freddy made tremendous progress as a player in MLS, especially with DCU. Much of that progress was made in spite of Freddy Adu. I think it's safe to say his progress has slowed since leaving MLS, and I'd point out that other players who stayed in the league have passed him on the MNT depth chart.

The only sense in which I would argue he'd have been better off in Europe earlier, is that he'd be a relative unknown -- a star prospect perhaps, but one among many. And maybe, just maybe, he'd have become less of a head case. But even that is far from a sure thing.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 18, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Slow down now - once upon a time, I thought all Emilio needed was a haircut.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 18, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

You know who else needs new kits? Seattle. Have I ever mentioned that? They look like Martian barf.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

busy day/night on FSC. any input on how i can convince my wife that she needs to watch 4 hours of CCL matches would be appreciated.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------Kocic---------------------------
--James----Janicki-----------Burch------John---
-----------------McTavish--------Jacobson------------
-----DiRaimondo---------------------------Allen----
--------------------------Szetela------------------------
------------------------Emilio----------------------------

Why yes, I'm punting on this game. Why do you ask?

I think even with our "starting" lineup we struggle to get anything from this game. Saturday's game is, in my opinion, a must win. We need to play 4 in the back with 2 defensive midfielders (the Empty Bucket!), hope Emilio can hold the ball up a bit, and pray for a point. Get Emilio out of there after a half or so and maybe put in Quaranta or Moreno or even Gomez if there's a chance we might be able to steal something late.

Rest the regulars for the Gals. I might even have sent Jakovic/Olsen/Moreno/Gomez home to rest, honestly.

Oh, I also think that given the sort of officiating we got in this competition last year, Benny is a great candidate for a red card if he plays.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

They look like Martian barf.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:15 PM
================

"Martian Barf." A great name for a rock band.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 18, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Martian Barf." A great name for a rock band.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 18, 2009 12:26 PM

Or the Sounders dorky marching band

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Or the Sounders dorky marching band
Posted by: Kev29
================

I was saving this for the pre-USOC trash talk with the invading Sounders fans, but...

If Seattle's idea of fun is a marching band, what do their supporters chant to the opposing fans? "We've got spirit yes we do. We've got spirit how 'bout you?"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Or another oldie but goody

"The band, the band, the band's a bunch of dorks!"

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 18, 2009 12:15 PM

Here's how I get Mr. BaRRD to watch. First I say I'm just checking to see what's on. Then I say, "oh, it's [team we don't follow] vs. [team we don't follow]. Let's see what else is on." Then I take us through movies we never wanted to see when they at the theater, American Idol and its ilk, and Murder She Wrote reruns. He then says, guess we should watch [team we don't follow] v. [team we don't follow]. There are two rules: always control the remote and memorize the channel #'s of shows you know your spouse will hate.
Good luck.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Good luck.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 18, 2009 12:41 PM

Or just assemble a den with two TVs and two computers. That's how I roll.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Like I said before a red shirt would be nice.

I'm kinda liking the fact that I don't need to start the Sounders trash talk anymore. It's taken on a life of it's own. They did change their luck on Grass in their blue kits against LA.

I just hope United isn't planning on using those jerseys that New York, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, etc. are rolling in... Those are hideous. I'd really like a shirt with a collar I can pop during my upcoming mid-life crisis...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the TV is on with something else while I keep an eye on the match on my laptop.

Posted by: Reignking | August 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't the blue uniforms or the man advantage that did it for the Sounders, DadRyan. For whatever reason, the new sod at the HDC had only been put down on Wednesday. It didn't have enough time to be effective.

Posted by: sitruc | August 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@BlackandRedRedDevil - sound advice, thank you. remote control control (and knowing when to give it up) is a vital part of any happy marriage. fortunately she's run out of Mad Men episodes to catch up on, so i should be somewhat in the clear.

hoping to see a good dose of Szetela tonight and some solid play from Kocic.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate to see what has happened to Freddy, in a way we needed to have him. We needed to learn what will happen if you throw all the hopes expecations of an entire program on a single player when he is fourteen, and unproven at the international level.

We then did the same thing,with less clout, with Altidore, who has surivived it quite nicely. Then I heard some people saying it about Charles Renken, but I'm sure they now look back on those articles and say, "yeah, I'm an idiot."

And now we've got promising players in the u-20's and a seriously intriguing u-17 squad, the level of skill inherent in the US player has risen.

Freddy just has to go and resusitate his career. But, if he ever does, a stronger, and more exposed, solid, and popular program will await him. We sacrificed him to this fate. We all did.

But we needed to have him, and I'm glad he came along.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Sellik - arse end hole ballin in HD on CSNHD !!! That what's up ! Ya digg

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

We sacrificed him to this fate. We all did.
===========

speak for yourself

Posted by: OWNTF | August 18, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

My God men, Comcast Sportsnet has Celtic/Arsenal in 1080i HD with full audio. Crank up your surround sound. Suck on that FSC.

Posted by: adamsunited | August 18, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

adamsunited, tread lightly. The only reason it's there is through Comcast's partnership with FSN. While they're scheduled to do this for the next couple weeks, it doesn't mean they will in later stages of the tournament.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 18, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@WashDips: did you happen to see that piece on USL being up for sale on OleOle.com? That's where I saw it.

@JoeDoc: A Flock of Seagulls? "And Iran...Iran's so far awaaayyyy..." (heeheehee, there's an earwig for you, even though those aren't the real lyrics)

@DadRyan...I'm telling you (speaking of the Dips), a Dips throwback kit (say, red with a three-white-stripe sash) would be a great third jersey for DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse