United Rewind

In case you didn't stay up until 12:50 a.m. for the final result, D.C. United advanced to the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions League with a 5-4 penalty kick victory over Firpo at Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador.

The clubs played to a 1-1 tie through 120 minutes, leaving the series even on aggregate (2-2) and away goals (1-1). In penalties, United converted all five, capped by Christian Gomez's clincher that struck the inside base of the left post and crawled over the goal line. Josh Wicks read the Firpo attempts very well, and although he didn't make a save, he was in perfect position when Manuel Salazar's bid sailed over the crossbar in the fourth round.

Chris Pontius, Danny Szetela, Ben Olsen and Marc Burch also converted for United.

Firpo went ahead in the 39th minute on Leandro Franco's penalty kick, set up by Burch's handball on a high cross. United drew even three minutes later on Gomez's 25-yard free kick. Fred was red-carded in the 118th minute for a hard challenge from behind.

United will open Group B play Aug. 18 at Marathon (Honduras) and host Toluca (Mexico) eight days later at RFK.

PLAYER RATINGS
Wicks 6; Namoff 6, Jakovic 6, Burch 4; Quaranta 4.5, Wallace 4.5, Olsen 5, Gomez 7, Fred 3.5; Moreno 6, Emilio 5. Subs: Pontius 5, Jacobson 6, Szetela 5.

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2009; 12:59 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Firpo
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Gomez is talented. That's right I said it. Deal with it.

Posted by: decoi | August 5, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Jesus may love Fred, but the rest of us are awful sick of his bullcrap.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 5, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Excellent, hopefully they put more effort into winning this competition than what we saw last year.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | August 5, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

So basically two games a week from now until the playoffs (knocks on wood). Better hope we get Simms and, shudder, N'Silu back healthy.

I still feel a lot better about our backups in CCL this year than I did last year.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 5, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

I hope Soehn was taking notes: next time we tee the ball up for someone to shoot, make sure it's not Wallace. holy moly

Oh well, Champions League here we come!!!

Posted by: StewartDC8 | August 5, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Man, we can take some pks. Three shots hit the back corner post and Gomez's hit the side post.

Burch just tore the ball in two right down the middle.

Likewise, Wicks is slower than an elephant. He has no reaction speed at all---that's not to say he could have stopped any of the pk's, but geez he looked lost.

Posted by: delantero | August 5, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

we definitely have a deeper roster than years past so I think our overall potential to advance is greater this year. Fred was atrocious tonight. I think it was waaaay past his bedtime...however, don`t mistake "I love Jesus" for "I won`t be very competitive and play hard if not a little dirty especially when I get shoved in the chest lightly but since I am so skinny I am knocked off the ball and have it stolen from me so I catchup to the guy with my quick feet and decide to wind up and chop through him in a frustrated attempt to win the ball back and a momentary loss of common sense and good sportsmanship because my touch was awful all night"

When we have Szetela and Pontius coming off the bench that is a pretty nice setup and says something about the depth we have. When`s Khumalo coming back??

Posted by: Samuraise | August 5, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

""I don't see how Wallace or even Quaranta for that matter did any better than Burch.""

Did you miss the handball that lead to the goal? That's worth a 1 rating in my book.

Posted by: delantero | August 5, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

With the USOC championship game against Seattle being "Special Game D" for STHs, that leaves only one ticket left for the actual CCL group stage.

We gotta finish higher in the table next season so we don't wind up playing the "play-in" games for the USOC.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 5, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

"Did you miss the handball that lead to the goal?"

It was an accident, he was looking the other way. Overall i thought Burch had a solid game.
But i do agree on that, he really didn't need his hand flying up like that, really not smart at all.

Hopefully, this is the turning point, a real moral booster.

(When I saw Gomez was the last shooter, i already knew we won! I started celebrating right then and there)

Posted by: StewartDC8 | August 5, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

I can not believe the pk that Firpo made to go up 1-0 was allowed to stand. For God's sakes, the man completely stopped and waited for Wicks to dive and then tapped it in. Can that possibly be legal?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 5, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John:

Good point. That's an easy way to cut 2 tough games (against MLS clubs, with the possibility of overtime) out of our schedule. I just did the math: We will finish with at least 44 competitive matches this season, and that does not include any MLS playoff games.

***

So at halftime I said there would be more goals. I did not count on both teams leaving their shooting boots in the locker room. There were certainly chances for this one to have some kind of gaudy, all star game score. We dodged some major bullets, but so did they. I feel like 2-2 aggregate and penalties is a pretty fair representation of the two legs, since both teams were about even. I feel like DC might have edged it during their periods of being in charge, but if so it was not by much at all.

That said, I'd have liked to see us win with a bit more comfort. Other than Salazar (#15), I didn't see anyone special for them in a defensive role, and other than Alas and Monteagudo they didn't have much going forward. What they did have was their tactics right. Castillo knows us through-and-though, and it almost worked.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 5, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

so...over...Fred...

Posted by: asocrlovr | August 5, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

SDM:

That's not legal. The referee should have ordered a retake. Perhaps his thinking was that a possibly chippy game would turn ugly if he made them retake it, and Le had missed. That's the only explanation I can think of, and it's still not a legitimate reason to allow a bad penalty to stand.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 5, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

I think the pk decision had a lot more to do with location than chipiness...totally illegal, but the home fans and team would have gone ape$#!+ had the ref done the right thing

Posted by: asocrlovr | August 5, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Gonna have to disagree with player ratings again:

Wicks 5 (he'd have stopped a few of those PKs if his initial positioning didn't suck)
Namoff 5 (caught forward too often)
Jakovic 4 (caught forward too often, reckless in challenges, easily turned) Burch 5.5 (handball was dumb, but otherwise was solid)
Quaranta 4 (passing was abysmal, useless in defense, a few nice runs
Wallace 5 (pretty solid defensively, made the simple pass, should we really be expecting much offensive output from a DM?)
Olsen 6 (one of his best matches of the year)
Gomez 7 (one of his best matches of the year)
Fred 4 (Useless...)
Moreno 4 (really, what did he actually do?)
Emilio 4 (again did nothing)
Subs: Pontius 5.5 (that PK was money) Jacobson 4.5 (didn't even realize he was out there...)
Szetela 5.5 (looked good out there, well-taken PK)

Posted by: alecw81 | August 5, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

I stayed up. Hooray! Nice for Gomito. I am usually the harshest critic here concerning Wallace, but I think the rating is a bit too harsh. Normally, all his shots are awful, but he hit one really nice one in extra time -- nearly scored. Of course, if he had passed to the wide-open Fred, who knows what might have happened. Wallace was not too bad on the ball, either.

Someday, Jacobson will find the net, and it will be glorious...

Posted by: fischy | August 5, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

highlights?

Posted by: dug2008 | August 5, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Jesus may love Fred, but the rest of us are awful sick of his bullcrap.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 5, 2009 1:13 AM |
--------

amen

Fred is Dead (to me)

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2009 3:21 AM | Report abuse

It could be argued that if the ball hadn`t hit Burch`s arm that it would have been a goal because that cross was pinpoint and right in front of the net with the Firpo guys head just behind Burch`s arm. However, it really is an odd place to be flinging your arm when a cross is coming in. I don`t see how that was an accident. he must have seen the ball coming and figured he was beat.

Posted by: Samuraise | August 5, 2009 3:45 AM | Report abuse

Overall: Yay!

Fred: Ohhhh, ewww, ahhh

Wallace's shooting: Whoaaaaa!

Gomez's FK: Sweet!

Burch's PK: If I could kick the ball that hard, I'd kick it right down the middle everytime, knowing that the goalie would dive in order to not let it him them.

Now that I overslept an hour and was told I was too late to go in to work, I'm going back to sleep. See you at the kick around.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

DC's lack of speed in the back is extremely problematic particularly when there is a counter attack. The finishing was abysmal across the board. Fred was terrible but so were several others. The heart was big. I normally hate PK's but their effort was clutch. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | August 5, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn?

Posted by: Section117 | August 5, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Good result in a hostile environment. Cuscatlan's field looked decent...credit that to the rainy season. We were clearly the better team last night. I too expect a better CCL effort after last year's debacle.

Maybe the team will offer a better ticket packages for group play. Last year it was ridiculous that every home game DCU supporters were outnumbered by Costa Rica, Honduras and Mexican fans. This series will enable our bench to get a lot of quality playing time. I see this helping our young players season even faster. Bodes well for the future.

Posted by: sbg1 | August 5, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Let me take this moment to point out that up until now, not one person on here has said that United should not be worrying about this frivolous competition. That's a good thing. But I guarantee that 1-2 months from now, there are going to be some so-called fans who claim that they've always said that United should focus more on MLS and not the CCL.

Don't let them fool you!

Posted by: DCUMD | August 5, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

I bailed after 90.

Fred was a turnover machine.

I can't believe Gomez went 120!

Did Firpo take any more illegal PKs (by stopping during the shot)?

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I usually like Fred (despite some deficiencies - as long as he is not required to finish, he brings quite a bit to the MLS table). But this was awful. His passing was atrocious. He'd get no more than 2 from me. And here is the rub: why Soehn keeps Pontius and Szetela on the bench for so long when Fred has a terrible night? And we are not talking about subtleties here, it was screaming obvious.

Another question - what happened to Quaranta? He had a good half against Honduras and some decent ~10-15 minutes subs twice at the Gold Cup. Not that much of a playing time. He looks totally spent for DC since. He should not be. What gives?

All in all a very forgettable victory, but victory it is. Thank you, guys.

Posted by: Tolik | August 5, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

When will these ratings ever make sense? Wicks was terrible yet gets a 6? How? Why? Moreno a 6? What did he bring to the game?

Posted by: seangw83 | August 5, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I give DC a 2, why? the whole team did horrible. Dont know why we ended up in PKs it was a horrible game to watch. DC started slow as usual but got it together. Played tough but then became sluggish and at times looked like Firpo was going to score. Everyone jumps on Fred and Burch. Well Im jumping on Emillio. Like allways he phases out in an international match. Jaime well...age is starting to show. Can't keep up. Drops back to do a create role and leaves Emillio up front where he chokes.
Overrall just a horrible match for both teams. Didnt need to end in PKs. It shows DC is still shaky in international competition. They need to work on that if they plan to at least give a worth while attempt in the CCL and not crash out like last time.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 5, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I stayed up until 1 a.m. to watch the game online!

Got to love the controversy regarding ratings -- no way Burch deserved a 5.5; his handball was a brain-cramp move, and he threatened to give up another goal with several poor clearance attempts up the middle.

Posted by: Cerealman | August 5, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I have a few words for you fans that are Burch apologists. He has improved tremendously as a defender, but he does not know how to mark an attacker on a cross in the box. His hand ball is inexcusable for any soccer player over the age of 12. I still like the guy, but we could do much better. I also thought Fred played a decent second half. He lost the ball a few times, but he as dangerous. His cross to Emelio should have been converted to a goal.

Posted by: no_recess | August 5, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I meant decent first half for Fred.

Posted by: no_recess | August 5, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I think Burch was raising his hand because he had a question for the referee.

Posted by: carnack | August 5, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

L. Emilio does a LOT of unnoticed stuff. He can't score every game, he was a workhorse yesterday...watch the tape.

Posted by: DC0071 | August 5, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Fred - please pick up the white courtesy phone - the A-League will need you back in the winter.

Midfielders and Backs - last night I saw WAY too many passes that left me wondering what it was that you saw. Does anyone know if their were upper level atmospheric disturbances last night?

That said - great effort to gut it out in the most dramatic of fashions on the road last night. Maybe the hex of away games to anyone outside of MLS has left us (I reserve judgement until October).

Also, you have to bet that Don Garber opened up some of his expensive wine last night.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 5, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Burch's Question: Is this a penalty?

Referee's Answer: Yes.

Posted by: tab5g1 | August 5, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

DC was not horrible. They had plenty of chances in the second half (that they couldn't convert).

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

SDM:

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell

I think the ref thought "eh, close enough". Just like a keeper bouncing around on the line, or coming out early, it is rare that that is called.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

*yawn*

Posted by: futbolclif | August 5, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

does Fred make as much as terry cooke?

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 5, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Does Terry Cooke make anything right now?

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

We need a Gomez-Becks free-kick-a-thon, sort of like the NBA slam dunk contest. Or a game of "HORSE."

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 5, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Hey, that game was a real Marathon last night.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Cooke: 192,500
Fred: 257,000

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 5, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

We were lucky to come away with that win. Though, I don't think Firpo deserved the win either.

Fred had an off night, but Fred has been solid for most of the season. His foul was not deserving of a straight red. Yellow, yes, but Firpo's striker (cant remember his name) deserved about 4 yellows for his numerous diving. If someone looked at him funny, he would dive.

I grow weary and tired of all the bloody diving. I think DC out played Firpo and showed more heart, but that doesn't mean much.

A win's a win and that's all that counts.

Posted by: dogboy | August 5, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Before you all go on and on about that PK, read the FIFA Laws of the game....there is NOTHING written about the shooter stopping and then taking the kick. So, the referee was correct in his interpretation.

Posted by: BlackburnRoversfan | August 5, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn! Pathetic display last night; as bad as the game vs Saprissa last year at RFK. No motivation or creativity at all. It's like they couldn't get themselves mentally up to play against Firpo. We saw a determined DC side score 3 goals Houston so we know what they are capable of doing when they put themselves to it. I don't think Fred will be around after this season. This is like his 3rd season and he still isn't producing consistenly.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 5, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Charisma...man...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 5, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

SDM: Chest Rockwell and others are correct - that's not legal. On the other hand, I have never seen it called once in my entire life. Christiano Ronaldo does it all the time and never gets called for it.

Posted by: jsm91 | August 5, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I quit watching after the handball, I was sure that was it. We looked pretty bad in defense. Not bad in the offense, but i guess both have been true all year. Anyway, it looked like Burch threw his hand up to shield the offensive guy's view (kind of like a bad cornerback) and the ball hit him, so accidental yeah, but what kind of crap is that? That's like playground stuff there isn't it? How about putting a body on the guy instead? Of course i'm not sure if it was his man or not, but we all know how poor his marking has been all year.

Anyway, I'm glad we someehow squeaked through, although i may regret it if we look as bad in group play as we did in this home and home, and end up missing the playoffs because of the increased schedule. I'll have to watch the rest of the match when i get home from work to see what I missed.

Posted by: Brian76 | August 5, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

If we couldn't beat Firpo in 90mins, then we are going to have a handful against Toluca and Marathon come group play time. And what is with the long ball tactics when you have 2 15min halves to play??? If you are that tired, why play aimless longballs to someone like Emilio to quickly turn it over and we are chasing again. Great strategy from a tactician like Soehn.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 5, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

See, this is what I've been waiting for. A quality first team line up and a ton of effort on the field. Yeah there were a lot of bad turnovers but when you're making 75% of the passes it'll skew that way.

Still not sold on the three man backline, and too often I'm only seeing one or two black jersey in the offensive third for way too many seconds.

Posted by: DCU-ATL | August 5, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man |

IMO that was Namoff looking to strike gold -- and it has worked a few times this season. They weren't doing it the entire game.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Moreno a 6? What did he bring to the game?

Posted by: seangw83 | August 5, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I thought he brought quite a lot to the game. As usual, his ability to keep possession in tight spaces in the attacking 1/3 of the field made us much more dangerous. I recall that once when he was surrounded by defenders, he cleverly teed one up for Wallace (that Simms would have put away). When he left the field, I felt our play lost some of its creativity and poise. It's hard to question Moreno's contributions this season.

One thing that struck me was that Sohen didn't sub any of our defenders, all of whom were carrying yellow cards. I guess he doesn't have enough confidence in our defensive subs.

Posted by: WorldCup | August 5, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 5, 2009 8:46 AM

Just our luck, it's winter right now Down Under. He can save us all the grief and get on the wrong plane today.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | August 5, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he was correct on the PK run-up, maybe not - it doesn't affect this game and it's over with. Nevertheless it is unsportsmanlike and something needs to be done about it. I don't even thing the "hitch" should be permitted...it's not like shooters need additional advantages. GKs aren't even supposed to come off their line until the ball is struck...maybe the hitch would be fair if the keeper could start running forward with his head down as soon as the shooter starting moving.

On another note, Quaranta is pretty much awful, and if the one commentator doesn't stop trying to "Spanish-ize" all of his Central American terms and calling Danny Szetela "Za-TAY-la" I am going to scream.

Posted by: duck95 | August 5, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I said it last night on Twitter and I'll say it again here: I don't want to hear ANY complaints from the people who were ranting and raving and dragging the FO over the coals for "not taking CCL seriously" in a few weeks when we're exhausted and dropping points in MLS as a result of winning last night. Six extra games. Three two-week periods with five games each in the middle of the playoff push. We're deeper than last year, but I doubt we're deep enough to survive that.

Remember the schedule congestion we were all so furious about last year? Add up the games - not counting the playoffs, by making it to the Group Stage DCU has just ensured that they will be playing only one fewer game than they did in 2008. With the playoffs, it'll be more.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad that we won. I'm always glad when we win. But we need to understand the possibly massive negative consequences of winning that game.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | August 5, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

" if the one commentator doesn't stop trying to "Spanish-ize" all of his Central American terms and calling Danny Szetela "Za-TAY-la" I am going to scream."

How long have we been talking about this? I even listed the three different ways he pronounced "Benzema" (none of them correct) in the matchnight thread.

Anyway, I did see a ref call the whole "start/stop" thing on Ronaldo a couple of years ago. It may have been the Champs League Semi in 08, and then he went up and missed the next one, so it is a rule, and does get called on occasion.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 5, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

kinda surprised no one has said anything about Benny going 120 (and then making his PK). Admittedly, I had to really look to find him on the field for much of the second half and ET, but still, thats a lot of minutes for a guy who usually only makes it to about 65. I was surprised to see a sub had to be burned for Quaranta, but it worked out.

also, if that game doesn't seal Fred's offseason fate, I'm not sure what will. my favorite Fred moment last night was late in ET when he was attempting to play defense, but actually just crashed in to Namoff and took him out of the play. classic Fred. as was the straight red. what a waste of a #7.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 5, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, that's 6 more games to sell tickets and collect TV money, so that's a good thing, right? Plus some sort of prize money if we win the competition? That must be good for the club.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | August 5, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD |
***************

Posted by: VercengetorixII

***************

No, assuming that we can win the Open Cup (thus guaranteeing a shot at the CCL next year), I'll be saying, just like that post from a different list that I forwarded last week, that we should put our eggs in the Champions League basket, and play the bench in MLS games.

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 5, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn?

Posted by: Section117 | August 5, 2009 6:17 AM |

Fire Soehn.

Posted by: alan19 | August 5, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

RE start-stops on PKs: Roversfan is correct. FIFA's rules do NOT prohibit a kicker from starting, stopping, then restarting on a PK. HOWEVER, various leagues put out an "Advice" book, and in many (not all), it is stated that this attempt to deceive the keeper is against the spirit of the game. The advice given is that the kicker should be cautioned (yellow) and the PK retaken. BUT THIS IS ADVICE! Perhaps, Wicks could have consulted the referee prior to the PK (or game) to determine what would be permitted. Or I guess we can assume this was Burch's question.

RE Jakovic's yellow: I'm shocked no one has mentioned this. (Sorry, if I missed it.) Even with Fred's play, the dumbest thing done in the match was by Jakovic. At the end of the half? Come on.

@fentysupporter, I thought that the Hunt Cup winner is NOT guaranteed CCL participation? Or is that after this year? Am I missing something?

Posted by: prokaryote | August 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

yeah, Jakovic's yellow was not smart on his part...the first mistake I have seen him make, he's been a rock otherwise

I don't think they have announced yet whether the Open Cup winner will get a CCL play-in spot again...I think it makes sense because it gets MLS teams to take the Cup more seriously.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prokaryote

From the FIFA advice section in Laws of the Game 2009/2010:
Feinting to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of
football. However, if, in the opinion of the referee, the feinting is considered an
act of unsporting behaviour, the player must be cautioned.

Posted by: jermWV | August 5, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alan19 (and so many others):

Fire Soehn? DIDN'T WE JUST WIN a CCL match? On the road? Who cares HOW we won in a foreign country where the Honduran ref allowed an illegal PK, and by my count 28 dives while issuing only 1 caution?

I'd like to recognize the depth of this DC team, which is built by the coaching staff and Dave Kasper. What a luxury to insert young talent like Pontius and Szetela last night, late in the game. Probably should have subbed Fred, but its the depth in my opinion that shows the growth of the FO and coaching staff. Last year we had so many hamstring and groin injuries, this year we have Simms out but no consistent injuries. That's depth, and resting Moreno, Emilio, Gomez, Quaranta, etc in July/Aug will bring wins in Sept/Oct/Nov.

Posted by: sevnshvn | August 5, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe Fred is really as bad as he looked last night, but he's building quite a track record to prove it to us...

I like Wallace generally, but really don't like him playing in the middle. Wallace for Fred on the left, Jacobson or Szetela in the middle with Ben - please - until Simms returns.

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | August 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | August 5, 2009 1:25 PM

You must not have watched United play much this year. He makes oodles of mistakes -- that was not even his worst in the game. He was totally burned by his man in the OT, but Jacobson came back for a sliding block that prevented a goal.

Posted by: fischy | August 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Some less than knowlegdable fans are down on Fred. Unfair. He is our most skilled midfielder (except for Gomez when he is fit) and he runs all night.
He is just in a bit of a slump, mostly because he is willing to take on players. That constant agressive play is just what DC needs. Give the guy a bit of slack. He'll settle down.

Posted by: lemovs1 | August 5, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse