United Rewind

If D.C. United's 2-0 loss at Toronto on Saturday is any indication, it's going to be a very long 31 days of MLS, Champions League and U.S. Open Cup matches.

United was out of sorts all afternoon, created few opportunities, was exposed defensively and looked like a team going nowhere this year. Sure, there's plenty of time to straighten things out, but through 21 league games and 28 official matches overall, shouldn't we have a better feel for this team by now? The club just doesn't seem very inspired, lacks rhythm and continues to labor on the road while remaining unbeaten at home.

Afterward, Coach Tom Soehn was upset for many reasons, but he also pointed out that United's six fouls in 90 minutes "just shows me that we're not fighting enough."

Looking ahead to Tuesday's Champions League group opener at Marathon, Ben Olsen, Danny Szetela and newly acquired David Habarugira will join the squad in Honduras. Fred (suspension), Bryan Namoff (not ready to play three games in eight days after recovering from a hamstring injury), Chris Pontius (quadriceps) and Boyzzz Khumalo (wrist) are out.

Watch the video highlights.

Read my match report with quotes.

FYI, Chicago announced that it has fined defender Bakary Soumare and Coach Denis Hamlett undisclosed amounts for a locker room incident at halftime last week. Hmmm.....

PLAYER RATINGS
Wicks 5; Namoff 6, Jakovic 3, Burch 5; DiRaimondo 5, Simms 4, Wallace 5, Gomez 4, Fred 4; Quaranta 5.5, Emilio 4. Subs: Jacobson 6, Moreno 4, James 5.

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2009; 9:32 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday #21: United-Toronto
Next: Video: Beckham's Red Card

Comments

Dialing-- Marco Etcheverry!

Posted by: redskinsux | August 15, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Is James available to play in the CL games?

Posted by: emanon13 | August 15, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

A team going nowhere seems like an accurate statement. Emilio would certainly be safe in the witness protection program--no one would confuse him with being a forward. A 3-5-2 isn't going to work unless Ryan comes back from Blackburn Rovers. The front office should have brought in some strikers as trialists along with the newly acquired defenders.

Posted by: dcarmy | August 15, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

How can you play a 3-5-2 successfully when you get no consistent play out wide? Our mids are standing 5 yards from each other. No one is moving off the ball. It's pretty sad, really.

If I coach against DC, I know that their outside backs are going to pass, not advance the ball on the dribble. I know Marc Burch isn't ever going to make an overlapping run. I know if I shut them down by tightening up the middle, I stand a good chance of winning b/c their defense is porous. I know DC likes to dump the ball to Emilio over and over and, considering Emilio is probably the slowest striker in the league, I'm ok marking him with just one back.

Posted by: delantero | August 15, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

""We think because we have talent that's enough,""

Then I guess you just don't have the talent, eh? Cuz talent can usually supersede effort. This team plays has one gear . . mediocre.

Posted by: delantero | August 15, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

is the UEFA transfer window still open? Cause I think Soumare is done in Chicago...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 15, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic is 2 under Burch par, and Jacobson gets a higher rating than anyone but Namoff.

We are SO screwed.

And we don't need any help, with Soehn at the helm.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 15, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Can we just make Olsen a player coach and try for the playoffs already?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 15, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know why or how Emilislow commands a DP slot. If this team had a JP Angel or someone who could actually trap the ball and distribute it to someone on their own team then the offensive might actually work. Oh well the play-off slot is slowing fading, but the Open Cup awaits. Perhaps the new campaign should be "We win Trophies, that no one cares about."

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 15, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Emilio ain't the only one who is slow. Our entire team is glacially slow. Rongen repeatedly expressed his amazement at our absent "speed of play". Face it. we are old and slow. This team is toast. we need new players.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 15, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

So maybe with the sudden influx of defenders, we can go to a 4 member back line? As dcarmy asks... where are the young guns up front now? Our leading scorers are all on the wrong end of 30. Doesn't bode well for an extended season with extra games added in now.

Posted by: andyschwartz | August 15, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

The midfield was so ineffective that Emili0 kept coming back into midfield to receive the ball since he can't create his own chances. That only works if you have good tactical players who understand when to overlap and only Moreno could read what Emili0 was trying to do. Since both are slow they couldn't do anything effective either.

If the season ended today, these guys would be gone: Soehn, Emili0, Fred and Gomez. Those 3 players are ones who are suppose to influence the game but even that is beyond their ability now.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 15, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

At least Becky will be rested for DC.

Posted by: sitruc | August 15, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Its a bad sports week for me. USA, the skins, DCU, and Everton all lost pretty badly.

Posted by: spikeman | August 15, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Throw in the Freedom at least for good measure, spikeman.

At least the Nationals won...huh? Well they offered a record contract to Strasburg and things still aren't looking good so does that count as a Nats loss to round things out?

Posted by: sitruc | August 15, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I think DC United has found its level. They got off to a great start, and they're still going to have some good games -- but they're where they should be, based on talent.

Which I might add is exactly where I predicted they'd be. In the preseason discussion, I tabbed Columbus and Chicago as the class of the East, with a much-improved Toronto probably getting into the playoffs. I thought DCU would be battling the Revs, who always seem to pull it together. That's where we're at. DCU is 4 points ahead of the Revs, but the Revs have 3 games in hand. That's probably a dead-heat.

We learned today that DCU is far too predictable and slow to really put together a lot of chances, especially on the road -- boy, are they a bad road team. And, we learned that despite the early press DCU's rookie class was getting, Toronto's rookie class is much more talented. Cronin and Frei have established their reps already, but today we saw that O'Brian White is a real talent, too. They give that franchise a very strong young core to build on. The DCU front office has a lot of work ahead in the offseason, if they are going to put together a contender.

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

For all the complaining, though, DCU isn't that far off. Toronto showed what can be done with a more daring attack and a striker that's capable of putting constant pressure on defenses. DCU doesn't really have either right now, but the offseason isn't that far away...

Posted by: fischy | August 15, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

fischy-
Your thoughts on Soehn? Too early to make a judgement?

Posted by: redskinsux | August 16, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

DCU simply lacks pace. Without any pace in the offense our teams attacks become very predictable. (We look to have intricate passing, and expose a weak point through build up play.) The problem is, every team in the league knows DC has no pace. Teams simply bunker in, absorb pressure, and then counter on us. Our defense is always good for 1 goal a game so teams just look to sit in.

DC controlled all the possession today, yet Toronto look far more dangerous on the ball and out hustled us in every aspect in the second half.

A striker that the front office should look to bring in should be someone in the mold of Martinez from Firpo. He was big, strong, pacey, and good technically. He would complement our team much better than old Emilio.

Another player United could really use would be someone like Corey Ashe down in Houston. A fast, raw player with okay technical ability (good enough for DC) and a player who likes to dribble beyond a back line.

To often DC has no ability to get in behind defenses. We have wonderful passers of the ball Moreno, Gomez, even Tino but we have no one running to create that killer option to complement DC's passing ability.

Also, we looked physically out matched for much of the second half.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

My opinion, not that I am fischy, is firing Sohen now offers no positive outcome. While Sohen sometimes is lacking in his game management, most of the problems are down to personnel. At this point I would let him continue on.

He has still won a USOC, brought us to back to back USOC finals. He also won the supporters shield in his first season too. If he misses the playoffs, then he has to go. But he has brought us a trophy in both of his full campaigns and is in good position to win one again.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

...and it gets much worse for DC United. Beckham has been given a straight red card. Meaning, DC is going to lose out on a lot of ticket sales for next weeks game with no Beckham.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 16, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

perhaps bad for ticket sales - but good for DC's defense on set pieces . . . LA will be without Beckham and now Eddie Lewis who also picked up a red card

Posted by: emanon13 | August 16, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

LA plays Chicago midweek.

espn2 is not happy.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

ooh - didn't realize LA had a midweek match; guess DC will have to figure out a way to defend set pieces then

Posted by: emanon13 | August 16, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Seattle has now won on grass. Why did the HDC wait until this past Wednesday to put down the sod? I was watching US Open Series tennis last weekend and was surprised by shots of the stadium still full of dirt when the X-Games had ended a week earlier. I thought I heard something about a horse event, but those don't normally require ramps.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Old man Lewis and Becky will be well rested for DC although Mr. H1N1 will hopefully be a little tired.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

i'm here in Toronto for a conference and went to the game. No pace. No attack out of the back. No attack with numbers up. We walked through it, and it showed. A 4 for Jaime is generous. He didn't even start and looked slower than the rest out there. I know it was hot, but wow we looked bad. At least TFC supporters are nice to us out of towners.

Posted by: CardCat | August 16, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for that game when Fred takes control and leads the team to victory. You'd think he could pick up the team when Christian and Jaime have bad days, but he doesn't do it.

Get ready for DCU 2010: need replacements for Emilio, Jaime, Christian, Fred, and Olsen. Any of them may be on the team, but these are players with eroding skills (or, in the case of Benny, broken ankles).

Posted by: DWE4 | August 16, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm not grubbsbl, but I guess I'd agree with the grubby one. I don't think Soehn is the best coach in the league, but he's surely not the worst, either. I don't see what good would come out of letting him go now.

Tommy hasn't been dealt a great hand, but that might be getting better. I'm anxious to see what Habarugira can do. I expect he will do a lot, if he's energized to be here. I'm curious to see if Szetela can improve his sharpness. I know he's better than he's shown so far. When he's fit and in form and Pontius returns healthy, the team actually won't be that slow. We'll still have the slowest strikers around in Emilio and Moreno, but they've shown they can produce goals if the balls are laid to them in good positions.

I was pleased to see Wallace play centrally. I think that's a good place for him. The only problem is that we had absolutely no wing play without him. Hopefully, that'll change with Szetela and/or Quaranta, and maybe Shipilane. All that would make Soehn look like a much better coach. And, if he can make a player out of James, he'll deserve praise.

Just wondering -- Goff gave Wicks a 5, so I guess he wasn't impressed with Wicks' play. I thought he looked really out of it -- very slow to react. On some balls he didn't seem to react at all. I know Tim Howard got beat on a similar free kick goal, so even the best goalies might not have done much better...but Wicks just seemed a bit sluggish and slow to me. Anyone else feel that way?

Posted by: fischy | August 16, 2009 2:26 AM | Report abuse

I kinda thought DC were wrongly denied a goal when Guevara headed it out, but that pales compared with the cockup the English refs did to Crystal Palace. Shot went in and banged back out off the metal posts in the back corner. Everyone stopped playing because of the goal. Somehow the ref missed it and strangely called it a goal kick. All I can think is he thought it was wide and kicked back off the advertising standards, but it would never have come back out in that direction. If he thought it came off the framepost, I could almost understand that -- because it happened so quickly. The goal kick decision made no sense at all, even allowing for the ref's poor eyesight.

Posted by: fischy | August 16, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

"Wicks just seemed a bit sluggish and slow to me. Anyone else feel that way?"

Wicks has apparently developed a 'statue' pose in goal. In the Houston game and this game alike, he seems to 'freeze' like a statue without a reaction.

To go back on the Soehn issue: If Soehn:
-loses the Open cup final
-fails to make a mark in the Champions league
-fails to make the playoffs/or make a run
or any combination, we'll have regrets of not firing him when the team showed very noticeable symptoms of needing a new headman.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 16, 2009 3:18 AM | Report abuse

I have been reluctant with the notion of firing Soehn--until today. He has been too inconsistent and it finally got to me after today's performance.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 16, 2009 3:22 AM | Report abuse

I just finished watching the game....how unbelievably frustrating! I'm tired of the nice passes when not under too much pressure, I'm tired of always trying to find that last final pass into the box, and I'm tired of players who aren't confident enough to shoot or can't decide when to shoot.

Soehn has done some good things for the team, yes, but when we have issues taking shots during the game or all of our shots are weak, off target, or directly into their defender, there is something wrong. This has been going on for weeks and somehow it hasn't made Soehn's post-match comments and almost definitely hasn't made it into a practice session. Tino's shot from distance was nice but how many times could Gomez have pulled the trigger from the top of the 18? How about Wallace (not that it would be on target)? I haven't felt as though United was a dangerous team since June/July. We can score occasionally, but they often have a strong element of luck. I hate nothing more than possession than long stretches of "soft" possession that goes nowhere.

Emilio needs benched for at least a couple of games. Maybe it'll put a LASTING fire in him. At this point, I want Jamil Walker back for the hope of having a forward that might actually run on a breakaway. Also, I agree with fischy about Wallace in the center and it was nice having him drift out wide to mix up the TFC defense occasionally.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 16, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

another note on the Soehn issue - at this rate the team wont come out of its funk easily, and we have too many games in a very short time to wait for it to happen. Like redskinsux, the verdict was still out on giving Soehn the boot until today. Tell him to walk and name an interim coach for the rest of the season. That should wake the team up, hopefully in time for the USOC Final, any other Eastern Conference tilts that we NEED to win if we want playoff soccer this year, and the CCL.

(commence pipe-dream)
Then we could sign Dick Advocaat to coach starting next year and supply him with old DCUers that know the league in and out for much of his staff (Benny, Etch, Harkes....). A knowledge of US Soccer is very important in MLS, but if the supporting staff has the salary cap, trading, allocation $, and drafting know-how, someone of Advocaat's stature could bring a whole new level to a team with as much talent as we have.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 16, 2009 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spikeman | August 15, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Throw in the Freedom at least for good measure, spikeman.

At least the Nationals won...huh?

For me, substitute Villa in for Everton and the Orioles in for the Nationals. Every team I'm a fan of had a miserable week.

Rongen hit the nail on the head during the broadcast. All their possession is lateral. Their are a multitude of reasons for this which most of you have already touched on. One thing that particularly distrurbed me was the overall listless play. There were a lot of 50-50 balls DCU lost out there today and that is unacceptable. 50-50 balls are nothing more than desire and I didn't see much of it out there with the exception of a few; most notably Wallace and Namoff. Up top, this may be more an age problem than anything else but it is disturbing nonetheless.

I don't think firing Soehn accomplishes anything. I think this is more a personnel problem than a coaching problem. Soehn obviously agreed with me about their effort today and he called them out for it. If their professionals and have pride then they should respond. If they don't then we better bunker up for 09/02 because the rest will be history.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 16, 2009 4:40 AM | Report abuse

our defense is average, our goalkeeper is below average and we can't finish.

We do however...ping the ball around like no other team in the MLS. But....we give up stupid goals, and we can't finish.

Therefore...possession advantage means nothing.

i'm a seattle season ticket holder...but a huge DC fan...will always root for DC over Seattle.

so...just comparing the two teams...Seattle has way less talent..but is solid in the back...has the best GK in the league...and finishes above average.

wicks is crap...namoff is the only proven defender that we have in the back (and since we start only three that's a disaster waiting to happen)....yes we are old and not too fast/quick....so honestly...my DC United team really isn't that special.

oh...and our GM talking crap to the Sounders about hosting the us open final...have a little class. Yes...the sounders totally overstepped their bounds.should have had more humility, but to act like an arrogant prick when our team kinda sucks...was a bit too much.

We suck...really...DC isn't that good. i realized it about 3 weeks ago and really hate to admit it. There is nothing special about this team. our special players are either rookies...or too old to really kick the opponents rears....bad combo.

oh...and did i forget to mention that wicks is a total clown?

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | August 16, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

And guys...i really am DC United til I die..all in for my boys....just reality sucks.

DC could make a run...just giving up bad goals + poor finishing is a real disaster combo...even if you are Man U

Love the boys...we need 3 pts next week!!

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | August 16, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

"At least Becky will be rested for DC."

Doesn't that red card take him out for the 22'd?

Posted by: DCB23 | August 16, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Twenty posts between midnight and 7 am. Sleep much, folks?

Did not record the game, and now I'm thankful that is the case.

I simply don't understand how people who get paid a salary to play soccer cannot get motivated. This nonsense about a "long stretch" of games... think our bosses would accept that excuse?

"Uh, sorry boss, just not that motivated. You know, after working five consecutive days. My bad."

These guys play a GAME and can't get it right. Unbelievable.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 16, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

This season was always going to be about rebuilding; trying to pull together a young core that we can add to down the line (next year). Olsen and Moreno were on the last years of their contracts and were never going to provide too much this year due to their physical limitations. I think Gomez has done okay, actually, but his light is flickering out. The real disappointment is Fred. What happened to him? He used to at least hustle and put himself into dangerous positions before missing a wide open goal - he doesn't even do that anymore and his defense on the flank is a joke.

The good news is that our management has done a great job since the offseason of assembling the right pieces: Jakovic, Pontius, Wallace, Kocic, Szetela, Barklage and hopefully Habarugira and James. With Namoff, Q, Khumalo, and Simms now we just need to take Olsen, Jaime, Gomez and Fred money to sign a classy midfielder with four or five years left and a striker with pace/desire and technical ability. Some depth in the midfield and up top would be great, too. I've seen enough of N'Silu - suppose the verdict is still out on DiRaimondo.

This year was always about positioning ourselves for 2010 and beyond. It seems that our base of support unrealistically adjusted their expectations at the beginning of the season when we enjoyed a brief taste of the future success that is in store for our new nucleus.

As for Soehn, I think he is having a hard time motivating this team. I also am weary from his defensiveness/snarkiness when things don't go well. There aspects of the team's style of play that I like, such as the fits we were causing opposing defenses early in the season, switching Quaranta, Party and Fred around on the fly but the three man back line has to go. Sadly, so does Soehn imo. Add a new coach to the list of offseason priorities.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | August 16, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

DCB23: LA's next game is on th 19th v. Chicago

Posted by: Konoha7 | August 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I just don't see what some of you guys see in Quaranta. To me, he is an average MLS player who probably is not good enough to start on most other MLS teams.The idea that he should have been an all-star based on his on-field accomplishments is laughable.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 16, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure espn2 is happy about that, Konoha7.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

By the way, how obnoxious was Sanyang? All I could think of was the US-Ghana game in Germany '06....how he didn't get a card after the 3rd time he JUMPED up after being stretchered off, I'll never understand.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 16, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc
=================

I know you espouse beating them until morale improves, but I'd fine them for lack of motivation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Even worse is that United is now sitting outside a playoff spot in 9th place.

The Revs are 4 points behind, but have three games in hand . . which means we should probably be in 10th since they own the tiebreaker against us.

With 10 games left in the MLS season, we need results now.

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That was very annoying and frustrating to watch, TassieTiger.

I keep reading your last line as you know about joedoc beating his wife, I-270Exit1.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Is there any way Emilio could get a 0 because he didn't do jack-squat.

Also is there any way we can get rid of Soehn or atleast get rid of his ridiculous 3-5-2 formation.

Every year this joker has stubbornly tried to install a 3-5-2 only to see it, every year, blow up in his face and lead to loss after loss.

At what point does Tommy need to be told to stop trying his unproductive 3-5-2. It just ain't working coach.

On a positive note, yesterdays crummy DCU game led me to watch more golf than I had expected to during the soccer match so that was nice.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 16, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

After reading some of these posts I'm glad some more people are coming over to the dark side inregards to Soehn getting the axe.

Someone in the front office needs to be held accountable for some of these aging "vets" we have to play 90 mins every game.

Emilio has to be the slowest striker on the planet. Seriously I think I'll be more productive during my indoor game this afternoon than Emilio was yesterday.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spikeman | August 15, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Throw in the Freedom at least for good measure, spikeman.

At least the Nationals won...huh?

Posted by: croftonpost | August 16, 2009 4:40 AM

Looks like Crofton and I are in the same boat. Glad someone else on here didn't jump on the Expos bandwagon.

Continuing with reading other comments glad to see others are recognizing the 3-5-2 Soehn so stubbornly has installed is completely not working.

Of course I'm sure Tommy-Boy doesn't see it.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 16, 2009 12:21 PM
-----------------------

If you haven't seen the game, don't bother. Don't waste 2 hours of your life, go do something more productive with your time than watching a soccer match where 1 team didn't even bother to make the trip.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 16, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Firing Soehn now would almost certainly cause much more damage than improvement.

I think we're better than we were entering this stretch last year, but a game like yesterday can be pretty frustrating. Khumalo & Shipalane might not start when they become available but will at least give us the option of some speed off the bench.

Toronto's young players did better than I had anticipated. O'Brian White was activated only recently due being injured earlier. Besides Cronin and Frei, Attakora and Gomes were serviceable in the back and Attakora also did nicely to set up his teammate for the clinching goal (I believe it was him).

I'm disappointed but not as down on the team as many posters here. The upcoming stretch will be very challenging but I don't think DC will go into an exhausted tailspin like happened last season after winning the Open Cup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

______________________________________________

The team was so listless yesterday that I'm beginning to change my mind. Maybe, the thing to do is to bring on, say, Ritchie Williams as interim head coach immediately with, say, Olsen &/or Moreno as interim assistant coaches. At this point, what is there to lose, actually? We're on the cusp of bombing out of both the CONCACAF Champions League again and the MLS playoffs. And, the U.S. Open Cup championship game is going to be massive -- it will be the only way United has of qualifying for the CONCACAF Champions League next year.

On the other hand, United is falling to about where I thought we'd be this year. Soehn really doesn't have all that much to work with.

Posted by: Stevenho | August 16, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Basically DCU is in almost the same spot this time last year, w/ the same problems: to slow in almost every aspect of the game and ineffective on offensive as well as defense. EmiliSlo's performance yesterday sums it all up.

Also does anyone have stats on the exact number of games DCU has won over the last year, besides Open cup ones against 3rd tier teams. I believe DC has won exactly one game in MLS on the road in a year, says it all in my book.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 16, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Expos bandwagon? They're still the worst team in MLB(home and away) and things aren't looking good for signing a ridiculously overhyped Strasburg(thank you Mr. Boras) even with a record breaking offer.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

As dreadful and mind-numbing to watch as the DCU game was, it was stimulating and delightful to watch the Tottenham-Liverpool. match. Sure, the ref probably messed up there as badly as any MLS ref, saving 3 points for Spurs, but the play on the field was crisp and fast, and a pleasure to watch. The play was almost always forward and there were chances a plenty from both sides. I don't mean to beat up MLS, or even DCU, as it's probably unfair to compare the two leagues -- especially teams in the top half of the EPL. I'm just saying this sport can be great, when it's not being played the way it was in Toronto yesterday.

Posted by: fischy | August 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"For anyone who missed the game, there is an encore on CSN this evening at 7:00 p.m."

Actually, the encore is NOW at 2PM.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 16, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the encore is NOW at 2PM.

Posted by: redskinsux | August 16, 2009 2:03 PM
_________________________________________

Interesting! Both the TV listings insert in the Sunday Post and the CSN Web site (http://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/tv_listings) list a Canadian pointyball game for this time slot. The Post listings had DCU on at 7 p.m., but the CSN site has American pointyball slotted there.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 16, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

My FiOS program guide also has CFL, but sure enough it is yesterday's match. That's disappointing.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

My list of positives from yesterday's game: 1) a ferris wheel was present.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Something to consider for the Fire Soehn crowd:

DC United has NEVER fired a coach midseason. Every time a coach has been let go, Payne and Kasper did it after the season was over, and quietly. Soehn is still in the running for two trophies, so it's going to take a monumental collapse to make DCU history.

Posted by: Josh8 | August 16, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

with joedoc on this one. Pros need to get their @$$es out of bed in the morning and do their dang jobs. For all the "Namoff is an allstar, he should rate a National Team call up, etc." Please put it to rest the guy must be trying to play like Bocanegra. Crappy.

DCU were a total disappointment this weekend. I hope they can trick me into believing in them again by getting a positive result on Tuesday. I can't believe I'm pining for Boyzzz to make it back, because these other forwards are playing like wet blankets. Maybe Tommy could put Burch up top.

You can't win if you don't score goals.
Blah, Blah.
Bring on the Green Monster!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Something to consider for the Fire Soehn crowd:

Posted by: Josh8 | August 16, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This is the same load of crapola that people were peddling this time last year ( Can't fire him because who could we get etc. to replace him) when DC was collapsing in the home stretch of the season, just like the year before. Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again expecting different results. If history is going to be the assessment tool here then it should be painfully clear Soehn doesn't have the goods.

This team has not improved in 3 years period, it's stagnated. As evidenced by Sat. play, awful. Also no one gives 2 poops and a box of Colace about the Open Cup/Supporters Shield and perhaps one poop for the CONCACAF Champs League (which in pragmatic teams this team has about 100-1 odds to win). MLS cup is the only trophy that matters and a team that can only muster one road victory in over a year doesn't stand a chance of winning it.

So if Payne wants anyone to take that "we win trophies" ad seriously then he better bring someone on board that can actually win one that means something.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 17, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Something to consider for the Fire Soehn crowd:

Posted by: Josh8 | August 16, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Looks like my previous response was taken down for using the word poop.... Anyhow to rephrase what I wrote: No one cares about the Open Cup or any other cup other then the MLS cup...and for the 3rd season running this team is collapsing at the most important stage and are presently out of the play-offs. Also a team that can one win only 1 road game (MLS) in over a year has no chance of winning the MLS cup. This team is confused and stagnate....So if history can reveal one thing it's that repeating the same action expecting a different result is termed insanity.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Oops looks like they did post it with poop and all. Sorry for the repeat. Happy Monday.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 17, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I have a dream. And that dream involves Marco Etcheverry managing DCU.

Posted by: fedster | August 17, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse