United Rewind

For those of you who didn't watch.....

Jerry Palacios scored in the 83rd minute and Mario Berrios added a late penalty kick as Marathon defeated D.C. United, 3-1, in the CONCACAF Champions League Group B opener at San Pedro Sula.

Walter Martinez, whom DCU pursued last winter, took advantage of Greg Janicki's blunder on Mauricio Sabillon's cross midway through the first half. Luciano Emilio had the equalizer three minutes after halftime on a short header. United seemed on its way to a point, but on a long ball headed into the box, Palacios beat Janicki for a 12-yard finish past Josh Wicks. Five minutes later, Janicki was called for upending a Marathon attacker in the box. Wicks stopped Berrios's PK, but a DCU player (Simms?) entered the box too early and Berrios converted the second attempt.

For those of you who did watch.....

I think we are all in agreement that Janicki was a disaster -- poor footwork, no confidence, slow reaction. The second-worst performance of the night was offered by Fox Soccer Channel play-by-play announcer Christian Miles, who.....

.....continues to refer to former DCU goalie Louis Crayton as "Luiz" or "Luis" Crayton. He's Liberian, not Brazilian.

.....promoted the Galaxy-United game on FSC Saturday by saying Los Angeles would be without David Beckham. He's sitting out Wednesday at Chicago.

.....suggested that Devon McTavish was in an "unaccustomed role" on the right side of midfield. McTavish has played there often the past few years.

.....said in the second half that the referee had yet to issue a yellow when he had already given two.

Not Miles's fault, but the DCU lineup graphic included "No. 99 Mario Rodriguez."

Look, I love FSC as much as anyone and appreciate the network's commitment to the sport and the variety of matches. In defense of the announcers and behind-the-scenes folks, calling and producing a live game taking place in Central America from a studio in Los Angeles is not easy. That said, we deserve better.

PLAYER RATINGS
Wicks 6; Habarugira 5, Janicki 2, James 5, John 5; McTavish 5, Olsen 5, Jacobson 6, Allen 5; Moreno 4, Emilio 6. Subs: Quaranta 7, Wallace 5, Simms 4.

What's up with Danny Szetela, who wasn't in Toronto on Saturday or Honduras on Tuesday? All I've been told is that it was a coach's decision to not include him on the Marathon trip -- no other details at the moment. It seems fishy to omit a promising newcomer during a rigorous stretch. The only innocent explanation is that Szetela is still working himself to full fitness and Tom Soehn decided to let him prepare for a start Saturday vs. Los Angeles. Plausible?

A final thought: It was nice of the Charlie Brown teacher to handle p.a. announcing in San Pedro Sula.

By Steve Goff  |  August 19, 2009; 1:14 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Marathon
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Thank you Goff. I feel better now. I think a 1.5 would have been more appropriate but I'm glad to see history in the making, as the first "2" ever given to a player. Right?

Posted by: redskinsux | August 19, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Christian "I make Max Bretos seem competent" Miles was not worse than Janicki because FSC suck boy can be muted. No matter what I (and I assume many others) said or did could remove Janicki from this awful match.

Posted by: decoi | August 19, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I'd give Olsen a 6.

Goff, why no words on our overall vast improvement? Hustle, smarter passing, good chemistry with the new players... agreed? Overall I find this game encouraging since minus Janicki this is one of our best showings all season.

Posted by: BarraPuta | August 19, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

FSC needs to work on its feed quality and camera angles.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 19, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | August 19, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

yep, simms was pushed.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 19, 2009 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Simms was pushed. All-in-all, that's another fine mess officiated...but, for once I can't blame the refs for the result.

Posted by: fischy | August 19, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Don't leave out Sullivan, who kept calling for Soehn to sub out Emilio, even though all 3 subs had been used.

Posted by: fischy | August 19, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget some of Bretos' other gems.

He referred to Santino Quaranta as a former Galaxy player. I know he did play there, but that is something you would usually associate with a player that has played somewhere for several years.

He also said that Ben Olsen was a former Nottingham Forrest player, when he only played 18 matches. See above for reason why this is laughable.

Posted by: dcuni_ted | August 19, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Nice write-up Steve. Poor Janicki really did have a nightmare evening. Sometimes a player in over his head just starts piling up the mistakes--in soccer or any other sport. I would have rather seen Harbarugira stay in and Janicki depart--we might have tied if Soehn had gone in that direction. I am not at all sure why Janicki should ever be on the pitch at this level again--maybe USL 2....
Oh--and its not like Marathon did not know where to attack--they went at Janicki over and over and over.

Posted by: snakebit | August 19, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm not blaming the refs but another questionable officiating performance.

1. McTavish's yellow card when the Marathon player stepped on his foot. Accidental at best.

2. No yellow card for the excessive Marathon celebration after goal #2. I mean, comeon.

3. No call on the physical contact of one of our players in the box a couple minutes before the PK, and then calling a re-kick after Wick's save. Technically valid, but questionable.

Posted by: BarraPuta | August 19, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

LOL...spot on with everything Goff. I was thinking the same thing concerning the "Charlie Brown teacher" PA system. I think Christopher Sullivan should also get an honorable mention for constantly talking about how important it was for DC to get back home at 1-1. I don't think he had the first clue that they are in the group stages now. Jeez.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 19, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Overall the team's performance was solid. I was impressed with our cohesion and ability to threaten the defense. A complete turn around from the Toronto game.

On to Janicki in a more thoughtful manner:

To be fair, barring the recent contraction of the H1N1 virus, the death of Janicki's mom immediately before the game or the sudden acquisition of a terminal illness or similar excuse, I don't think this player deserves to wear a DC United jersey ever again.

I hate to say it but I question Janicki's dedication to this club. Someone mentioned that gambling or a betting scheme could be the possible answer to his horrendous game-- I actually think that the probability of this is 10%.
The appropriate thing to do for Janicki is to apologize publicly to the fans, the players and coaches and explain what the f*ck happened out there. If we were in any other country there would be an angry mob outside the stadium demanding accountability.

I am also very disappointed with Soehn. The person I was watching the game with, made the remark that Soehn should make an immediate move and sub-out Janicki after his first blunder. I kinda blew this off as too bold and unorthodox, but in retrospect this is exactly what Soehn should have done. It ended up costing us the game. And, why Simms for Habarugira and not Janicki?!

Posted by: redskinsux | August 19, 2009 3:26 AM | Report abuse

FSC do a huge amount of ridiculously stupid things. What about Sullivan being completely unable to say "Habarugira"??? He said it wrong THE WHOLE GAME. Did no one tell him at halftime?? Could he not hear Miles saying it right?? CAN'T HE READ???? He was saying things like "Habaruba"!
I'm starting to dread DC games being on FSC now...

About the game... more of Habarugira and James please. I feel sorry for how bad Janicki was, to be single-handedly at fault. And after playing well in last years Champions League.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | August 19, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Just read this and is too good not to share with everyone. A nice way to end the night with a laugh. Enjoy.

"I am gonna play Oregon trail, and name every pioneer Janicki, and reduce their rations to "meager", and make them travel at "grueling pace".

Posted by: redskinsux | August 19, 2009 3:49 AM | Report abuse

Right we do deserve better, pretty much what I've been saying about your soccer coverage for years.
Soccer insight doesn't mean you spend half of your ink calling out a broadcaster for errors and failing to discuss United's fundamental problems. You've had enough time to learn the game, show us something besides regurgitating the tidbits the team throws you and pimping Freddy Adu

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | August 19, 2009 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Steve-Simms a 4? Awfully harsh for such a short stint.

Soehn couldn't sub Janicki after the first mistake. Although it was the most comical of his mistakes, it was also the most forgivable as well. Just a fluke that almost ceertainly would never happen again. However, after watching Marathon abuse him repeatedly during the 2nd half I too don't understand why he wasn't subbed for Simms.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 19, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

NICKYNUNYA,

I know it's early in the morning and last night's game was a tough one to swallow but that was pretty harsh. Other than continuing their recent propensity to choke like dogs, I thought last night's performance was somewhat encouraging minus the very obvious (Janicki).

Posted by: croftonpost | August 19, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Why, in God's name, does Miles pronounce 'CONCACAF" as if it were a Spanish word?

Posted by: DouginCMH | August 19, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this is the end of Janicki. Too many high profile mistakes and goals given up. It's a shame because he looked so promising at the end of last season.

As for the FSC announcers, this is a common occurrence. I dont know how many games everyone watches when they do commentary, but that is nothing out of the norm. My room mate and I take notes on each screwup. They really need to get some more knowledgeable announcers.

Posted by: strago | August 19, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

NICKYNUNYA - get lost. Steve is the best damn reporter around. FSC's coverage was a debacle and it's definitely newsworthy.

As for DCU, this is not acceptable. Janicki should not be on the roster. Great heart from Emilio though.

And the ref has no excuse for not giving a yellow to the player who took his shirt off. I mean, come on.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 19, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I think one of the biggest mistakes Miles made all night was to consistently refer to the return leg as if this was a home and home match. He kept talking about away goals and getting back home and this is "180 minutes"..... Finally at the end someone must have told him and he apologized for it.

Posted by: lawrenceterp | August 19, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Janicki must go -- DCU must hold players accountable for atrocious blunders. He coughed up a goal against Firpo, he's slow, tactically unaware and actually worse than David Stokes ever was.

Last night was depressing given that DCU seemed on the way to a road point. What dismays me even more is the Szetela issue. "Coach's decision", wasn't that the term used as Crayton slipped beneath the waves as well? If Szetela has proven to be a bust, lockerroom cancer or whatever, DCU just wasted a coveted allocation big time.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 19, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

For me, the biggest story of the night was the absence of Danny Szetela. The last thing DCU needs right now is a controversy with Szetela. This is a guy with the talent and physical tools to replace Olsen one day.

The DCU FO brought in the reinforcements too late. With this fixture congestion, there is not much time for practice - and all the mistakes the team could learn from have to happen on the pitch, by necessity.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | August 19, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

There's nothing left to say.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

As someone who stayed up too late last night watching this game and was excited after the Crew's result, all I ask is - where does DCU keep the copies of player contracts?

Greg Janicki's should be ripped up on the plane home today.

I won't bother to say that United would have won or tied without his "performance", but being gifted two goals from one guy - all I have to say is, Greg, whomever you took money from, you did a phenomenal job!

And for FSC, Steve, I agree with you. Their dedication and the fact that they probably lose money setting up the CCL broadcasts is to be commended for those of us who love the game. However, two fans, HAMMERED, could have navigated commentary better than he could have. FSC/FOX really wants to step up with the big boys someday. Christian Miles and Max Bretos are not ready for varsity.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 19, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

dcuni_ted: again, it wasn't Bretos. It was Christian Miles.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | August 19, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

It was the third minute of stoppage when they realized it was not home and away and that it was a group stage. 90+ minutes... FSC was just using a CONCACAF feed. For whatever reason it comes out looking and sounding worse on the channel though. If you watched the earlier Crew-Islanders match on Galavision and FSC, you would've thought the two channels were showing different matches. Galavision's picture was better and the stadium audio was much clearer and louder. Galavision's graphics were better and correct too. The biggest surprise for me was that the clocks on the two channels didn't match.

Yeah, I just said there wasn't anything else to say.

I can't watch replays or clips right now, but was the play that led to the PK onside?

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

DCU fans deseve better! Janicki has had about 3-4 performances like this. He has no business wearing the DCU kit. He is just awful. I really do not understand Tom Soehn in any way shape or form. I said that at this point last year also. In a way I hope we don't make the playoffs, we do not advance in CONCACAF, but win the US Open Cup again. I think that would be enough evidence for Payne and co. to realize that Soehn is a poor choice as coach of DCU. I hate to put all the blame on his shoulders, but his starting 11 and game tactics typically do not get the results we need. It's time to move on.

Posted by: no_recess | August 19, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Quick hits: I haven't used the sound on FSC for months, unless it was the Sky Sports announcers.

Szetela...

Dude, Janicki, I... uhhhh... ummm... wow. Okay, we'll get through this. You likely won't be here for it, but we'll get through this.

Good for Columbus though, for being able to beat that disaster that is the way the Islanders play on the road in this competition (sorry, yankiboy)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 19, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

What a bunch of whiners crying about the coverage of the game when the real focus should be on Soehn's tactical decisions. What is up with Olsen and his backward passes after he creates space for himself and then instead of a probing pass, makes a backward pass?!? I don't care if Olsen is Mr. DC UTD, but the guy needs to move on. I was waiting and waiting for Szetela to sub in for Olsen but it never happened. For those complaining about Janicki now, it is like blaming a retarded kid for being retarded. We already knew Janicki was not able to play at this level.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 19, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Janicki...enough has been said about that. When am I going to finally start hearing what I've been saying for months? Where are our forwards? Moreno, Ilove you to death. You are a legend. You are just not getting it done. Emilio, thanks for the MVP season and you showed great heart sacrificing your body for that goal and then returning to the game but you are too slow and are waaaaay over-paid.

Guys, we have NO ONE up top that can get the job done and we have NO ONE on the bench that can either. WHY ARE WE NOT MAKING A BIGGER DEAL ABOUT THIS? Marathon tried desparately to give us the game last night. They all but begged us to run them out of their own park but and we had no one willing to do it. Shameful.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | August 19, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

You seriously gave Janicki a 2? How about no rating! He was awful. Each goal was his fault. Back to Pittsburgh he goes....

Jacobson, Habarugira, and Tino were the best on the field. This would have been a very positive match if not for Janicki's stupid mistakes.

Posted by: kris77 | August 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Janicki was totally outclassed...Soehn was outcoached...FSC announcers belong in the outhouse! FSC does deserve credit for making sure the games are televised but PLEASE get some good announcers! They don't know how to pronounce 90% of the names; they don't know how to provide accurate background information; and, they certainly don't know enough about the tactics to make their 'expert' opinions. Please FSC replace those two now!!!

Posted by: bobleme | August 19, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree 100% Goff. I think we need a kick in the ass or somthing. Olsen did ok, however he was getting beat through the middle too often. Im not worried about the champions league matchs, we need to make the playoffs first! How can we expect to win in Honduras. The conditions on tv looked terrible! The stadium pitch looked like a zoo, different colors and what not. Hostile at best. Nothing consistent over there, including the refs. And calling back a Pk because someone crossed the 18 yard line is crazy at best, unless he was standing right next to the kick taker, it is really pointless. Marathon didnt look like they were playing to win either. Letting up, and then attacking every now and then. I think the ref helped them out! They looked the better team when they were actually playing though.

Posted by: g3impreza | August 19, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 19, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Crude but well put. Also EmiliSLo should never be allowed to touch the ball outside the opposing teams penalty box EVER!!!

Please for the love of all that is good in soccer Mr. Payne end this ceaseless fiasco before another year goes down the toilet.

Posted by: SoehntheExit | August 19, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm on the bandwagon. I'm done with Soehn.

Posted by: pecanturtle | August 19, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I had high hopes for Janicki at the beginning of the year, but unfortunately he has the soccer equivalent of the yips right now. We can't afford to put him on the field any more.

Posted by: jsm91 | August 19, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

It's inexcusable to think the game was home-and-away. That's just lazy and stupid.

I started watching in the 60th minute, and DCU was really doing well. There was a fantastic cross from the left to a streaking McT -- his diving header, unfortunately, was right at the goalie.

After that, Marathon seemed to control the ball. They were doing a fantastic job with getting the ball quickly to the forwards, directly, who always seemed to have someone to dump it off to or get space. DCU was just scrambling, not maintaining possession, and giving the ball back. You could feel that second goal coming, after Marathon had failed to test Wicks. However, there was no excuse for Janicki to be where he was.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I think Jacobson is getting better as he is being allowed to go forward. For a while, he was the only looking for a shot the last couple of games. Finally, we're seeing some positive. Now, he just needs to work on his aim and his cannon of a boot will net goals for us. And that is something we need bad!

Posted by: jsm3 | August 19, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

What's it called when people complain about complaining?

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I only watched the first half, but in that time I would have rated Olsen the best player on the field for United. He was possessing well, finding open teammates and tackling well close to their defensive 3rd.

Saddest part to me is how much more money goes into a team in HONDURAS than in MLS. The number of players on the field who just didn't belong for DC was disgusting. I say double the cap MLS and buy or negotiate with some USL teams to act like a farm team.

Posted by: DrewROC | August 19, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

What's it called when people complain about complaining?

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"The Beckham Experiment"?

Posted by: Section117 | August 19, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@sitruc,

Blogging?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 19, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@SoehntheExit I throught Emilio did a good job pulling back a bit when it was 1-1 and helping us to kill off time. As it turned out, Janicki's mistakes threw all that effort down the tubes

Jerry Palacios surely should have gotten a yellow for taking his shirt off during that excessive celebration following goal #2.

Jacobson played great! I also like Habarugira. Gotta wonder about Szetela not making the trip to San Pedro Sula.

Goff, it would be interesting to hear if Simms says he was pushed by a Marathon player into the penalty area during the PK.

Posted by: billindmd | August 19, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

A question I have asked myself for the past 2 years is was the 06-07 version of DC UNITED in concacaf play that good? If I recall we beat olimpia away really easy and played other teams hard on the road. Our home games were tough, but we rarely lost at home. I know the games were not played during the middle of the season, but we had plenty of games in 08 that we played during our off season and we struggled. Could it be DC was that good in 06-07 or was it the coach? what has happened to us

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 19, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Other than a trophy and a berth in the Club World Cup, what are the financial incentives tied to the CONCACAF Champions League?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 19, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I have not been a Soehn basher, but the wheels came off the cart when he took out Habarugira and went from a four-man back line that was working to a three-man line that did not. If he wanted to get Simms some minutes, he should have put him in for Olsen, whom we are going to need to harass Beckham on Saturday.

Posted by: granadoskerry | August 19, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Jacobson actually put one of his cannon blasts on frame. He also had that sick Zidaneesque spin move that had us hootin' a little bit.
United is really starting to drive me nuts. There are flashes of brilliance, errr at least flashes of competence but the lapses in judgement are incredibly painful, and ugly. Mind bending. I'm getting tired of my wife asking me how the game went in the morning and having nothing positive to say.

These guys better beat LA this weekend...

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Look, I keep saying it, we need to change our star players no matter how long they've been with the team (And Tom Soehn). Its time to acquire newer players. Here's how you compete in these games of US Open Cup, CCL..super liga and etc...You win and wing big in MLS especially at the beginning of the season to the mid-way. After that, you can relax a little bit with a back up roster in MLS, and put our best in the Champions league. I'll make a prediction now and say that we are not going to make the playoffs. Hate me now.....

Posted by: godpere | August 19, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Miles and Sullivan were also discussing the options for replacing Emilio after DC had already made our 3 subs. That should be basic announcing 101. If you can't write down the subs on a piece of paper as they happen so that you can speak intelligently about the game just stop talking. You don't care, the producer who doesn't correct your mistake doesn't care. Just give us the sounds from the stadium and let us give our own play-by-play and analysis at home. It will be more compelling and accurate than anything out of your mouths.

Rant over.

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 19, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

According to the broadcast last night when Simms came in they dropped to a 4-5-1 (I know consider the source) not a 3-5-2. Are you sure they were in a 3-5-2?

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 19, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Add to your list of Miles stupidities:

-- He said several times that bringing Gomez in for the second half would help; but Gomez was not in the roster I gather.

-- He kept saying that DC isn't out of it because this is a 180 minute stretch -- implying that this was a home and home series......

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 19, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I suggested yesterday that they shrink the MLS season a few games for international competition. They could make up for the gate by involving every MLS team in either the CCL or SuperLiga (open up SuperLiga to everyone not qualified in the CCL). I throw this out there as a possible solution to the cap and roster issue. In addition, is it necessary to play every Western Conference opponent twice. It's not like MLS would be setting a precedent by scheduling some teams as a once a season opponent. Is it really necessary to play Chivas twice?

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 19, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Times two, home and away just like everyone else all over the world does it. Thats what MLS should do. And Stop exapnding at this rate.

Posted by: godpere | August 19, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

You know, at first I was pissed when Comcast dropped FSC from their standard lineup, but now I'm kind of glad I don't have to listen to the craptastic announcers anymore.

Posted by: Dynaformer | August 19, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Lots of ranting. Reality checks: Sullivan was talking about subbing for Emilio. However, Miles pointed out when Emilio went down that DC had already used all its subs. Only Sullivan was making this mistake. As for the group aspect, I don't think they were clear about it, but they never made this mistake. When it was 1-1, they were talking about how Soehn's tactics had worked and how Soehn must be pleased with getting a point out of the visit to Honduras. That was less than a minute before the wheels came off. Also Szetela couldn't come on for Olsen because he wasn't even in the country. Even Goff's over-egging the pudding -- so, they had an error in the graphic -- big deal. Both announcers went out of their way to note that 99 for DC is Jaime Moreno.

I would agree that the decision to go with a 3-man backline did seem to be problematic, especially with all the attackers that Marathon had added. I understand why Tommy would want Simms on to protect the lead, but it was a mistake to pull Habarugira. The substitution that didn't make a lot of sense to me was bringing on Wallace. Later, if Simms was going to come on when he did, it should have been for John, and Wallace should have been pushed back to keep the four-man shape. Janicki needed help back there.

My question is why Janicki's failings haven't been obvious to DCU's coaches. I have two possibilities. First, they were aware, but the FO felt there were no other realistic options -- this suggests that the MLS has serious personnel issues. The other is that DCU is so lacking in real attacking -- no speed up front, and little ability to exploit defenses with passes from the midfield -- that practices never really showed Janicki's weaknesses. Either way, the solution is the same. Bring in better players.

I realize there are financial constraints, but MLS is going to have to open up the pocketbooks to both expand and improve rosters. It's been said before, but it's never been more true.

Posted by: fischy | August 19, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

A bit off topic, but I felt a bit of joy for Jerry Palacios - although I wish it wasn't at DCU's expense - and the good season he's having. His 16-year old brother Edwin was kidnapped in Oct 2007 and his remains weren't found until May 2009 in Honduras

Posted by: billindmd | August 19, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, when we qualify for these things, why can't we just refuse to play in them? It does absolutely nothing for us to play in them. We don't have the manpower to compete and 10 games in 31 days is hard enough on Chelsea! Most of Chelsea's games will be against competition less than 100 miles away. Send a message to the MLS. NO MORE!

Or better yet,: if you qualify for this tournament, you get 3 more senior international spots on your roster. I am sick of losing due to exhaustion. how many games do we play to awin or a tie for 75 minutes and then give up 2 or 3 in the last 15?

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Except for Janicki, DCU played well in a 4-4-2 with a team of heavy on debutantes, newbies and second-teamers. Without Janicki's early "own goal," DCU goes to haltime at 0-0 and leads 1-0 for much of the second half. Then Soehn goes 3-5-2 and the wheels fall off. How long is it before he sees that his team plays better in a 4-4-2? Will he learn this lesson before he gets sacked for his 3-5-2 stubbornness? About 35 percent of me -- and that number keeps growing -- hopes he doesn't.

It sounds like a lot of DCU fans were getting their first exposure to the FSC announcers. These guys have been forever deficient. Welcome to the price of MLS on FSC.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 19, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the Janicky-Sohen bashing, they need to go, really. And I also agree that we need a couple of "Usain Bolts" on forward positions, we don't have speed, we can counterattack with Moreno and Emilio, thanks for the past glory and memories guys, but your time's up, you're not getting it done anymore, time to move on, please FO, get some young, fast, skilled forwards.
Having said that, I think we'll be LA on Saturday, they'll beat Chicago today and we should be looking better at playoffs prospectives. But really, fire Sohen and get rid of... what's his name again?

Posted by: WillyJoel | August 19, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"we don't have speed, we can counterattack with Moreno and Emilio"

We CANNOT counterattack with Moreno and Emilio. Sorry for the confussion.

Posted by: WillyJoel | August 19, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"I think we'll be LA on Saturday"

I think we'll BEAT LA on Saturday... Gosh, whats wrong with me this morning!!!!!

Posted by: WillyJoel | August 19, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

FSC's production values have always been consistent with a public-access cable channel. They are horrid and most of their shows look and sound like they are produced in someone's basement.

Posted by: roadkit | August 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux

Janicki has cholera.
Janicki has dysentery.
Janicki has died.

---

Also, what's up with the FSC announcers continually referring to the D.C. United players as "the Americans." Moreno, Emilio, John, Habarugira and Wicks might disagree. This isn't a country-vs-country match.

Posted by: Cerealman | August 19, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I thought that Janecki missed clearing the ball for their first because there were odd spongy patches in the pitch. I think that the ball bounced oddly just as he was preparing to clear it and that's why he whiffed.

And the replay shows that Simms was clearly pushed into the area so Wicks' save should have counted.

Finally, I grew sick of Chris Sullivan talking up Marathon as real competition at all. They're useless. A largely gifted 3-1 scoreline shouldn't disguise that a organized DC United team should have slaughtered them. Columbus or Houston would have.

Posted by: gooner71 | August 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

The game last night gave me hope that DC can win 6 or 7 of the next 9. They were the better team for the first 80 mintues and then pissed it away. United has needed to play a 4-4-2 all season and even with that mob they had out there they looked good.

With that said Janicki and John are crap. #23 will be good and James is solid.

Janicki can't make a mistakes like that in front of goal. The last 3 games he's been reason why the other team has scored 5 of their goals.

John has done nothing since he got here other than give Burch a night off. I expected more, but he's crap.

We have to win out at RFK and beat the team form T&T to advance.

Posted by: emjay613 | August 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

We're too slow and too reliant on being able to play the ball along the ground. we did not handle the grass very well.

tino and jacobson played well. fsc and janicki were horrible. olsen is old.

worried that szetela is the new donnet.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | August 19, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of Soehn yet? And can he take Janicki with him. This team pretty much controlled the 1st half yet made boatloads of plays that lacked fundamentals and were overmatched in the 2nd half.

That's all a reflection of the coach and/or the personel, who is brought in by the coach and higher ups.

Seriously, Emilio has got to be the slowest striker in MLS history.

Why can't DCU use their DP slot on a player worthy of DP status?

DCU should not mean mediocrity but under Tommy (when not using Novak's previously assembled team) that's what we've gotten.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Also, that Habarugira guy couldn't send in a cross from the right side to save his life.

Talk about a bunch of stinkers.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

The reserve back line was a real mixed bag last night:

Janicki's rating is about 2 too high.

John was a traffic cone out there.

Habarugira looked decent in his debut with his overlap runs but he needs to learn how to cross a driven ball - his floating crosses are too easy to defend.

Except for his near own goal in the first half, James looked decent - got the ball rolling on Emilio's goal and he showed pace on the back line which is something that is lacking back there.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | August 19, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: runningcloud | August 19, 2009 11:10 AM
-----------------------

After the Toronto game I posted something pretty much just like this. In each of his 3 seasons as DCU coach Tommy has tried to install a 3-5-2 only to see it be a total disaster each year, yet he continues to do it.

Isn't the definition of insanity trying something over and over yet expecting different results?

Let's give Tommy a nice new Jetta and send him on his way.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

On a positive not, atleast Goff hasn't mentioned Brett Favre at all.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The only way a 3 man back line would ever work is if you have someone like Paolo Maldini as RB, Jaap Stam as CB, and Javier Zanetti as LB. We have NOBODY remotely close to them so ...

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 19, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"The only way a 3 man back line would ever work is if you have someone like Paolo Maldini as RB, Jaap Stam as CB, and Javier Zanetti as LB."

... and a Gattuso-like player in the mid-field. (Christopher Sullivan)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I need to vent about something. I'm sick and tired of the front office getting a free pass concerning the play of this team. Did Soehn do the following:

1)Bring in Emilio and designate him as our DP
2)Bring back Gomez, Moreno, and Olsen creating an older roster.
3)Bring in Janicki
4)Bring in John
5)Bring in the fiasco that was last years international players
6)Until this year draft miserably for several years in a row
7)Fail miserably in Prince Georges County due to horrific public relations
8)Bring in N'Silu and numerous other miserable strikers the past few years

The talent is a huge, enormous part of the problem and that is on the front office not Soehn. Please don't tell me this is all on Soehn. Garbage!, Garbage!, and may I say complete and utter garbage!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 19, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

There is not much to be said after that sad performance. For the coach to continue week after week to play 3-5-2 is extremely poor judgement. We do not have the personnel for 3 backs. Even with 4 we have problems. Only Namoff and the developing Jacovic are major (MLS) league quality.Let's spend that Real money on a top notch back and a second forward to help the brave Emilio. Let's forget CONCAF and try to sqeeze into the MLS playoffs.

Posted by: lemovs1 | August 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

i went catatonic in the 2nd half, but a few thoughts:

* disappointed not to see Szetela and would have like to have seen Kocic (though he wouldn't have mattered).

* DCU was a verrrrrry slow team in the 1st half with no Wallace, Tino or Pontius. that was not encouraging.

* i thought Jacobson had a very nice game and some decent shots from distance.

* Habarugira made a very good first impression. would he stay on the right in a 4-man back if Namoff is playing?

* the turning point of the game, other than Jacnicki's trio of troubles, was McTavish's diving header that was saved. i think DC wins the game if that goes in.

* i'm not leading the Fire Soehn bandwagon, but i'm certainly marching behind it at this point. can't pin everything on him, but it might be time to shake things up and see if an improvement can be made.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 19, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I missed the game last night, but I am curious how former DCU target Walter Martinez looked overall. Was anyone impressed by him or think he could still be a potential target?

Posted by: invncbl | August 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The point about the front office reminds me of the Redskins in the '90's. Norv Turner took a lot of heat and justifiably so but Casserly skated by for awhile even though he was drafting terribly.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

FIRE SOEHN!

Posted by: supamars11 | August 19, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Another thing that drives me crazy about FSC broadcasts is that the play-by-play man never has a clue about what the teams are playing for.

Whenever there is a home-and-away series between two teams, they always talk about "taking a point" from the first leg. *There are no points in a home-and-away series - it's an aggregate goal series.* Duh.

The opposite is also true. Last night they kept referring to the match as a home-and-away series. It's not. It's one of six group stage matches where the objective is to earn as many points from the matches to finish in the top two. Seriously, DUH!

It's really, really unprofessional for these guys to be so clueless about what tournament they are calling. I would not miss Christian Miles if he were banished from TV forever.

Posted by: sobugged1 | August 19, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the FSC bashing, we should be thankful that we can watch the games, at worst the announcers are comical.
I agree with letting Soehn go. He has had enough time to show some progress and he has failed.
It's also time to say good bye to one of the best players to play in MLS, Jaime Moreno, as well as Emilio and Christian Gomez. None of them are cutting it anymore.
Janicki, good luck on what ever occupation you take up next.
Olsen, move forward man, stop passing the ball back. I can still see a glimmer of hope fro you Benny. Pull yourself up and be our captain.

Posted by: BB1996 | August 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

where is szetela? Is he being disciplined for something?

Posted by: wordup1 | August 19, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

WHY WERE THERE ONLY 50 FANS IN THE STANDS? ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE A BIG DEAL IN HONDURAS? IT LOOKED LIKE NO ONE WAS THERE, AS IF THIS WERE AN NCAA DIV III MATCH.

Posted by: mrjoelcairo | August 19, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Also, Christoper Sullivan, on numerous occasions, mentioned that DC was "doing well" despite losing. He also mentioned several times that DC had accomplished something at 1-1 because they would be going back to RFK with an away goal, not realizing that this was group play, not home & away.

To be fair to Miles, I think I only saw one card issued in the second half. I'd like to see a box score with the stats if anyone knows of one that exists.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | August 19, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

And was Palacios assesed a yellow for celebrating without his shirt?

Thx,