USA Qualifying Update

USA Coach Bob Bradley is in the process of finalizing his training camp roster for the two upcoming qualifiers: Sept. 5 vs. El Salvador and Sept. 9 at Trinidad and Tobago. We might see the list Thursday or Friday.

He will have to make some creative decisions because:

-- There are two games and a lot of travel for players called in from Europe and the team as a whole in a short period of time.
-- Defender Oguchi Onyewu will miss the El Salvador match on suspension.
-- According to the USSF, 11 players are carrying yellow cards and, with another, would miss the T&T game: Clint Dempsey, Conor Casey, Steve Cherundolo, Landon Donovan, Jay DeMerit , Carlos Bocanegra, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Frankie Hejduk, Sacha Kljestan and Jozy Altidore.

Ticket sales for the ES match at Rio Tinto Stadium outside Salt Lake City are around 16,500, leaving about 3,000 remaining, according to the USSF.

By Steve Goff  |  August 26, 2009; 2:52 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Soccer Movie Trailer
Next: Matchnight: United-Toluca

Comments

let's have EITHER Donovan or Dempsey (but not both) get an intentional yellow in the 89th. get him back to his club earlier and then not have as great a worry about missing one of the later qualifiers.

I'm probably overthinking this. Or drunk.

Posted by: troy6 | August 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

if Torres isn't in the starting line-up, i give up.

Posted by: crocken | August 26, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I have no problems with players needing to make a "professional foul."

Posted by: sitruc | August 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

If Demerit and/or Boca get cards in game 1 better have Marshall and Goodson available. Bornstein or Pearce need to be added as well. Otherwise the attacking players are expendable while Bardley Jr will team with whoever's left in the middle.

Posted by: euroman | August 26, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

if Torres isn't in the starting line-up, i give up.

Posted by: crocken | August 26, 2009 3:21 PM

You might want to prepare yourself to give up.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The Trinis have a pacey and strong frontline...Zamora/Jones/Scotland,

Defense will need to be prepared.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

True Kev, but i mean, come on.... he plays at altitude, he's fit, and with the scheduling, it just makes 100000xs more sense to use as many of our CONCACAF based players as possible, especially if feilhaber/clark have yellow card issues (when do those yellowcards disappear?)

Posted by: crocken | August 26, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Come on. You can't seriously expect, at this point w/r/t how Bob does it, to see Torres STARTING, can you?

Posted by: ZidVicious | August 26, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Goffster-

Any hunches on tonight's lineup?

Posted by: redskinsux | August 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Since Bradley put Holden on in Mexico, I have some slim sliver of hope. :)

Posted by: crocken | August 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why but I am FREAKING out about this round of qualifying. WE MUST WIN BOTH GAMES.

I really do not see a result away to Honduras.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm not arguing with you in theory, crocken. I just don't think that Bradley wants to start Torres, but he's happy to have him on the bench for second half tactics.

With every qualifying match of equal importance, I don't think Bradley would rest one of his normal starters for yellow card reasons. He'll deal with their suspensions in Trinidad when the time comes - which could also be the match that Torres proves himself.

I think we might see...

--------------Howard---------------
Dolo---DeMerit---Bocanegra---Spector
---------Clark----Bradley----------
--Dempsey-----------------Donovan--
---------Davies---Altidore---------

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I would go but it costs too much to fly in to Salt Lake.

Posted by: UniteforDC | August 26, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

As of this morning there were 1,455 tickets available to this match:

Posted by: realslfan | August 26, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I really do not see the cards as an issue for these two matches unless the ref decides to pile on the yellows like the match at Azteca. Both games are against inferior opponents and MLS is in season so fitness should not be an issue. We can easily bring in a reserves from MLS in case we need a couple of players replaced due to suspension.

Posted by: no_recess | August 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This is CONCACAF. All of the above will get yellow cards, even if they are "NIT18."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I can't WAIT to see Davies and Altidore starting, with the form they are on.

They are starting... right? Bob? Put the phone down, Ching isn't worth it.

I'm actually glad Cooper probably isn't going to be there. Give Cooper and Ching the opportunity to suck while he polishes his game at 1860 Munich. He HAS to be included if he keeps up the scoring.

But then, Bob rarely makes sense. Torres and Clark's fortunes would be reversed, were that the case.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I meant Casey and Ching

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't have to foul to get a yellow. Just score and take off your shirt. Argue unnecessarily with the ref.

Posted by: tundey | August 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

We need 6 points from these two. Need to start our best 11 in both games. Then we can all relax a bit. Altidore and Davies need to start up front.

Posted by: hacksaw | August 26, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if these CL losers drop to the Europa League?

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if these CL losers drop to the Europa League?

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 4:20 PM

I think so, RK...

• The 38 victorious sides from these two legs qualify for the UEFA Europa League group stage, and will be joined there by the ten losing sides from the UEFA Champions League play-off round.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

My helpful tip for the day... do NOT bet on Wigan this season

Goal - Blackpool 4 (Gary Taylor-Fletcher 67) Wigan 0

So in the past couple weeks, Wigan have won at Villa - - lost at home to Wolves - gotten crushed at home to Man U and now lost badly at Blackpool. Weird

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Are the Gunners really that good or have their opposition (this pathetic Caltic side included) so far been really that bad?

I guess we'll find out this weekend.

Posted by: Kosh2 | August 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Torres will play now that some of our midfielders are on yellows.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | August 26, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know when Jermaine Jones is supposed to be healthy?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm with arswift24 and hacksaw...This next game is a MUST WIN! Arswift, you are right to be freaking out...No time for the team to start worrying about yellow cards. You gotta fire all your rounds now!

Posted by: alan19 | August 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

slammer,

Jones should be healthy in mid september, look for him to be called in for the October qualifiers.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I heard a rumor there's a game at RFK tonight.

Seems pretty unlikely given the lack of any news or discussion about it...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane

I tried on the roundup thread, but no one was biting!

Posted by: the_slammer | August 26, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

What's there to talk about for the game?

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane:

Passive-aggressively ask and ye shall receive.

The draw against LA had to be a win, so we're in a situation where we have to get something in Chicago. Thus, I think tonight will be yet another blend of reserves and regulars, in an effort to go full bore at Toyota Park. I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement that points in that game will mean more than points tonight, as much as I hate to say it.

Looking over our recent games, there are some players that need to rest. Emilio has gone 90 in each of the last 3 games, while Quaranta, Wallace, and Simms went 90 in the MLS matches and were subs at Marathon. We need them fresh for Chicago, so I would expect them to rest tonight.

On the other side of the coin, Moreno has barely topped 100 minutes over the last 3 games, and should be ready to go at least an hour tonight. I'm hoping Soehn partners him with Pontius, whose injury provided the chance to rest some. If Szetela has been forgiven for whatever he did, he's an obvious candidate to go 90 tonight. Jacobson only had a cameo role against LA, so I'd expect him to be starting as well.

The formation is the tricky part. With Janicki's collapse, we can't rely on him. However, with the number of midfielders that have logged substantial minutes, you have to wonder if we won't see another 442 in the CCL.

Let me propose teams for both possible formations (going right to left):

(3412): Wicks; Habarugira, James, John; McTavish, DiRaimondo, Jacobson, Allen; Gomez; Moreno, Pontius

Fred could start for Allen (if we're more desperate to beat Toluca than I expect) or for Gomez (if Fred's not starting in Chicago). Yeah, that back three looks vulnerable, but it's not like we have options. If Szetela is out of the doghouse, he could replace DiRaimondo (with either Jacobson or McTavish sliding into DiRaimondo's spot and Szetela going to their role) or Gomez.

(442): Wicks; Habarugira, McTavish, James, John; Fred, Jacobson, Gomez, Allen; Moreno, Pontius

Suspect backline again, but there's no choice. There's the added problem of Gomez without the extra midfield support; maybe he rests and DiRaimondo partners Jacobson? Szetela could replace any of the midfielders. I suppose Shipalane could also start right away, though that seems a bit nuts to me.

Toluca should be on tired legs, so hopefully we can keep the pace high and the humid weather will drain them a bit. On the downside for us, there's a lot of talk about Hector Mancilla (their deadly striker) coming back from a long-term injury. We should really hope that he's rusty, or we're going to need lots of goals to be sure of a win.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 26, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what an uninspirted and sloppy 1st half by DCU there.

I've seen enough of natalie imbruglia or hamburgesa, or whatever dudes name is, that I need to see. Time to dump that catch back in the ocean.

Same goes for Jacobson, John, Allen, and a cast of others.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 26, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse