USA Roster Prediction

We should learn tomorrow who is on the USA roster for next week's World Cup qualifier at Mexico. Assuming 20 players are named, I'm guessing:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan.

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Oguchi Onyewu, Jonathan Spector, Heath Pearce, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Bornstein.

Midfielders: Clint Dempsey, Benny Feilhaber, Ricardo Clark, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Robbie Rogers, Sacha Kljestan.

Forwards: Landon Donovan, Brian Ching, Charlie Davies, Jozy Altidore.

Hejduk is injured. Maybe Mastroeni? Beasley? Casey? Torres?

Your thoughts are welcome.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 6, 2009; 1:11 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Real Madrid's Travel Roster

Comments

What about a backup central defender like Marshall, Conrad, or Goodson? The backline in the Confederation Cup was: Spector, DeMerit, Gooch, and Bocanegra. I think they would need some cover in case on of them got injured. Also I don't see Kljestan making this roster given his recent form. I would hope Torres gets the nod over him, but who knows.

Posted by: no_recess | August 6, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Frankie's injured again?!? I thought he'd recovered...

Posted by: Juan-John | August 6, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Sacha has done nothing to be selected to this roster. I think Torres should be down at Azteca!

Posted by: arswift24 | August 6, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I also would replace Kljestan with Torres...

...But I'm not Bob Bradley. I believe your prediction is accurate.

Posted by: B_A_ | August 6, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Is Sacha's dip in form linked at all to his smokin' hot girlfriend?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Beckerman over Kljestan. Add Goodson or Marshall to back up the central defense.

Posted by: soccerman | August 6, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@ DadRyan - what? no link to a picture?

Posted by: soccerman | August 6, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd bring Orozco, Torres and Findley.
What if Davies gets injured, you'd want someone who is as fast and can finish
as well as Davies. Please no Beasley until
he starts proving he belongs. USMNT is not a charity.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 6, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Beckerman too, I'd prefer him over Clark if Feilhaber needs a sub.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Olsen?

Posted by: TheJim1 | August 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Jones is injured, or has the time period for the national team switch not passed yet? It'd be funny to cap-tie Castillo in the last minute of this game.

Posted by: joe_hill | August 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan may be onto something, didn't landy's recent surge in form coincide with splitting from his smoking hot wife? Hmmm...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | August 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Pearce needs to be on the squad if you have Borenstein and Boca able to play left back. I think Bradley puts in a third CB like Chad Marshall. He had a good Gold Cup. I think he goes with Torres instead of Kljestan...plays in Mexico. Calm on the ball. Yeah I think Jermaine Jones is recovering from a fracture in his leg or something

Posted by: seanbheffernan | August 6, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

i agree with soccerman. leave Kljestan and insert Beckerman as backup. otherwise a good list.

Posted by: jtk7 | August 6, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

joshuaostevens - my god, you're right!

Posted by: jtk7 | August 6, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Charisma_Man, just move donovon or dempsey up top.

Posted by: jtk7 | August 6, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with soccerman. We need pictures of the hot girlfriend.

Posted by: sitruc | August 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

If it's 20...

GK: Howard, Guzan
LB: Bocanegra, Bornstein
CH: DeMerrit, Marshall
CH: Onyewu
RB: Spector, Churundolo
HM: Clark, Torres
CM: Bradley, Feilhaber
LW: Donovan
RW: Dempsey, Holden
ST: Davies, Cooper
ST: Altidore, Ching

Posted by: mediaman1976 | August 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"What about a backup central defender like Marshall, Conrad, or Goodson?"

The US already has two backup central defenders in Bocanegra and Spector. They just happen to be starting. If Gooch or Demerit go down, insert Cherundolo and move Bocanegra to the center. If, by awful luck, both Gooch and Demerit go down, insert Cherundolo and Pearce/Bornstein, and shift Bocanegra and Spector centrally. It would take monumental bad luck for Conrad, Marshall, or Goodson to ever see time in a game like this.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Jones is injured. I would hope to see Beckerman in this squad. Those Sasha is Bob Bradley's boy see I bet we see him in this squad. And can Bob really leave out Conor Casey?

I mean I would but I don't know about Bob.

No Rogers give me Torres instead please.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The only change I'd make to this prediction is Torres over Kljestan. Otherwise, that's a solid list.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sacha at ESPY's with Jaimelee Darley...
His facebook photos are much more revealing than anything, you'll see googling, but I can't link to those...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Kljestan over Torres would be an absolutely criminal decision.

Torres is starting and playing 90 regularly for Pachuca, one of the best teams in the hemisphere, while Kljestan's been putzing around with terrible form this year and riding pine at Chivas USA.

Posted by: StanShmenge | August 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Why is it Edu has to be injured? Why can Klejstan just get injured?

I highly doubt BOB takes Torres over his favorite illegitimate son.

Posted by: DrewROC | August 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Klejstan should never make it. Torres should DEFINITELY make it. This guy has played in Mexico and Azteca all last season. He is creatively gifted, better possibly than Feilhaber. He adds fluidity, composure and class we sorely need.

Having two defensive midfielders on the pitch doesn't guarantee that there will be fewer shots on goal. We need to score against this Mexico side, and bury them at home. Holden should make it, certainly over mister one goal, no assists for Chivas.

Surely we've seen the end of Beasley?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 6, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe_hill | August 6, 2009 1:53 PM |
---------------------------------------------------

The new rule allowing players to switch associations after their 21st birthday does not take effect until October 2nd. Jones and Castillo cannot play until the last WCQ, here at RFK. Please pay attention folks -- this has been much discussed before.

I would not like to see Kljestan, but I am not sold on Torres, either. However, if there is a game where Torres might be at his most useful, it is probably this one.

I hear Adu is training and keeping in shape. ;)

Posted by: fischy | August 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Also, Charisma man, Findley really can't do anything on the international level. If you watched the Olympics, you would know this. He has all the finishing ability of Chad B.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Surely we've seen the end of Beasley?"

The end of Beasley? What is he, 27? He has more experience on the international level than anyone not named Donovan, he has more big game experience than anyone on the roster, including Donovan, he's been a cornerstone of this squad for the better part of the last decade, and has proven that he can compete at the highest levels of the game -- and people are ready to toss him aside for good?

Beasley's in bad form, he's not an amputee. He'll be back, just not right now.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens

Like the Brazilians being told to abstain during the World Cup?

Beas can't even find a club team. He can't even get a club team rumor.

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Beas, I don't think, will ever be back.

Beasley depends on his speed to overcome all other aspects of his game. Without it, he is a small player with fair dribbling but who will easily be beaten off the ball. Lately, he has looked clumsy, frustrated, and, in some statements, a little arrogant about how valuable he is.

I don't think we should reserve a place in the starting lineup, waiting for him to return. It doesn't matter what experience he has if Holden and Torres have more skill and balance, more promise, and better ability from the very second they take the field.

Did you even see how hopeless he has been since El Salvador? If he doesn't come back with blistering pace and a lengthy spell of good form for his club, there is no Way we should hold.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the vast majority who weighed in on Kljestan vs. Torres. That is a no-brainer.

Also, I'm not sold on Rogers. I would replace him with Beckerman.

As for Hedjuk...pulling in another defender is the simplest choice, but the pickings aren't great. Is Edu fully fit yet? If he is, I'd rather take a flyer on him than the other candidates mentioned. Or heck, why not Namoff? (yeah, I know, no chance, but I'm throwing it out there anyway). Here's another idea, though...how about Kenny Cooper? That means we have 5 forwards but Donovan is really a fwd/mid.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | August 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Neither Torres nor Holden can do what Beasley is capable of, nor can they even come close. And I like both of them. But neither of them are capable replacements for Beasley's skillsets (when he's healthy and on form). In that same vein, neither Torres nor Holden bring a unique skillset to the squad. They can both have their places, but everything they have is already represented by a player in front of them (namely Feilhaber, who for one reason or another, isn't even a starter). Beasley, with his quickness, fitness, and endline-to-endline defensive and offensive capabilities, brings a completely unique, and valuable, skillset to the US that nobody else can effectively represent (again, when he's healthy and on form). The only player that comes close is Donovan, but he doesn't have the same defensive effectiveness in the midfield that Beasley does.

Does he have an uphill battle to return? Absolutely. But in no way, shape, or form is he or should he be automatically tossed aside.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I agree that Beasley shouldn't be held an automatic starting spot. That's never what I said. All I'm saying is that he's not done, yet, with his USMNT career. In fact, if he could get back to form, he'd be a phenomenal energy option off the bench with the way the US is formulated.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

My only worry is Bradley's penchant for starting Ching up front with another, fast(er) striker. Didn't the Confederations Cup show that having two strikers with at least some hint of speed is effective?

Posted by: freeholdsouth | August 6, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which - ussoccer.com just relaunched. Wayyyy better design. Well done.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 6, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Make sure you type in www.ussoccer.com in order to see the new site. They haven't cleaned up their domain yet so ussoccer.com points to the old site.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I forget, what exactly Beasley's skill sets are besides running real fast with an average first touch? Look, he has been a great player, and done a great service for our country, but his time has come and passed. Beasley was never world class or had any great skill sets. Why do you think when PSV beat Milan and reached the UCL semi-finals a few yrs back Man Utd signed Park Ji Sung and not Beasley? They recognized that Beasley was all pace. His pace is gone, and unfortunately that means his game is gone.

Holden already is a much more technically gifted player and has a better range of passing. His vision is also better than Beasley's ever was during Beasley's best form.

Torres is in the same boat as Holden in regards to Beasley. Torres is possibly even better than Holden. As someone else has pointed out Pachuca are, and have been, the best team in the Northern Hemisphere for the last three yrs. If you can play on that team, you are better than Beasley -and Sahsa and Rogers.

I know it sounds bad to throw such a great servant under the bus, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

psps23, there have been times when I thought Beasley was the best on the national team.

But that was always for a few months, maybe three periods since 2002, brief and not lasting.

He hasn't put together good form, he was part of the failure of 2006, the biggest contribution recently came off set pieces, the game against China early in this cycle.

If he comes back, great. But he doesn't have the speed anymore.

Oh, and don't sell Torres and Holden short. I honestly think the US's current squad is the strongest it has ever been, and that is including when Beasley was playing well.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 6, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

But before I leave, I have to say that I think Bob Bradley isn't using our team the way it should be used. We got blown out against Brazil because we didn't even have the semblance of possession in the second half, something that a player like Torres could have provided.

We aren't fluid, we count on our defense and Howard to deal with far too many chances while leaving our offensive players to fend for themselves. Alright, I'll stop talking.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ripdeez_2000 | August 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"I forget, what exactly Beasley's skill sets are besides running real fast with an average first touch?"

Running quick with an average first touch, running forever with an average first touch, tracking back quicker, longer, and more dedicated with an average first touch, being nearly unable to be beaten one-on-one with an average first touch, being an even better help defender with an average first touch, getting out quicker in transition than anyone on the roster minus Donovan with an average first touch, and making smart runs with speed that are extremely difficult to track on a consistent basis with an average first touch, etc.

Look, I get it. Holden and Torres are more technically gifted than Beasley. That's great, and that's the truth. But the game isn't played on a futsal court. There isn't one thing I listed above that either Holden nor Torres can do even close to the same caliber as Beasley. And you need players that run, can run, are willing to run, and are able to generate the runs that Holden and Torres desperately need in order for their technical savvy and creativity to be successful.

And trust me, I'm all about creativity, technical savvy, and making the game aesthetically pleasing. But 95% of the game is not played with the ball at a given player's feet. There are other attributes that are crucial to the game.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, not related but big...

ESPN Adds Premier League To Soccer Line Up

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Saturday, August 15:

* Chelsea v Hull City, 7:45am, ESPN2

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

And again, I really like Holden, and like Torres as well. I think at least one of them should always be a reserve option on the bench, along with Feilhaber. But neither of them should ever take Beasley's role. Ever. They're night and day. It's like lining up Maurice Edu as the alternate option to Clint Dempsey. They're completely different players.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Saturday, August 15:

* Chelsea v Hull City, 7:45am, ESPN2

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 4:12 PM

Yep - and there's more to this than just popping up on a rumor site. Setanta have pulled their listings for the early Saturday and Monday matches.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@ psps23

Beasley is not in form. He is Maradona, Pele, Messi, Zidane, or even Donovan. He is replacable and judging from Bradley not using him towards the end of the Confederation's Cup he probably won't be on this roster.

Posted by: no_recess | August 6, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

no_recess: I already acknowledged that he's not in form and won't be on the roster. I was replying to those that say he should be cast aside for good. He's 27. His career is a long way from over.

Posted by: psps23 | August 6, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I would start Herr Jones and Castillo. And, of course, Fischy for his management skills and knowledge of the game.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 6, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I like Torres a lot, too. But so far this fall season (2 league games and 1 Concachampions) he has not played for Pachuca.

He was allowed to report to camp late as he had been with the US team in South Africa for the Confed Cup. Hopefully, that's the reason he hasn't been playing and not that Pachuca's new coach doesn't value him.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 6, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@psps23

I agree. I did not realize you were just making a point.

Posted by: no_recess | August 6, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

That's not hot, that's bottle-blonde cheap.

Oh wait, I forgot you were guys. Synonyms.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 6, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Fulham's last two goals in a 3-nil Europa League win...

79:13 mins: Goal - Cross by Clinton Dempsey(Fulham), goal by Andrew Johnson(Fulham) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from left side of six-yard box (6 yards).Fulham 2-0 FK Vetra. Assist (cross) by Clinton Dempsey(Fulham) from left wing.

83:47 mins: Goal - Cross by Eddie Johnson(Fulham), goal by Andrew Johnson(Fulham) left-footed (bottom-right of goal) from right side of six-yard box (6 yards).Fulham 3-0 FK Vetra. Assist (pass) by Eddie Johnson(Fulham) from left side of penalty area.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Torres over Klijsten. Bring Holden and Rogers and let them sit on the bench and experience azteca so hopefully in the future when they are playing in azteca it wont be so intimidating for them.

Also I agree that the team has enough center backs with Bocanegra and Specter.

Also Cooper over Ching. Neither is going to start but Cooper appears to thrive in the super sub role whereas Ching doesnt bring the change of pace you are looking for in a second half sub.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 6, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

VĂ¥lerenga out :(

Posted by: Reignking | August 6, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Good list for the most part, but.

1) I'd include Torres at the expense of Kljestan. Better form, better player, and familiar with the foe.

2) Stop listing our starting left midfielder as a forward. Yes, I know he can play up top, and has. But right now, he starts in the midfield. Like he did all during the Confed Cup. Donovan is a MIDFIELDER.

Posted by: TrueCrew | August 6, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

If Bradley keeps leaving out Torres, other Mexican-American soccer players who have a real choice are going to get the message about whether to commit to the US and lose their choice

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 6, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

There's another factor which will, I think, be the reason why BB will bring in Torres over Kljestan: since Torres plays his home games in Pachuca, he will already be adjusted to altitude.

Posted by: amoffett1 | August 6, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Torres, fentysupporter has an interesting thought there as to many peoples perception if Gringo Torres keeps getting dissed by Bradley.

You know you could email the post and get your handle changed don't you... It was tough to admit agreeing with you with that name...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: no, apparently it doesn't work that way. I am told that I have to CANCEL my account, then reapply. Then reset the various computers that automatically treat me as "fentysupporter" when I log in to the Post.

A pain in the rear. I haven't taken the time, work overwhelms....

Posted by: fentysupporter | August 6, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't see all the excitement about Torres. He has good foot skills but showed nothing defensively in the internationals I've seen. We need guys in there who are going to work hard against mexico on defense, and who have a bite in their tackle. It's all academic anyway; whether it's Sasha or anyone else they wont see any time.

Maybe Heaps instead of Pearce? (kidding)

Posted by: hacksaw | August 6, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

@arswift24

Absolutely agree with you regarding leaving Kljestan home and bringing in Torres.

We really can't afford Sacha's tendency to turn the ball over in the midfield.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 6, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

No way Bradley selects Rogers over Beasley. Rogers collapsed after Grenada and Bradley is going to take his old standby until there is someone clearly better.

I would hope that Sacha is not selected. Since Donovan really plays midfield, I would think that Bradley would bring in a forth striker and leave Sacha at home.

Posted by: Beckster1 | August 6, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call it excitement hacksaw. I'd just call it a matter of making sense. We've got a four man back line and one of the best keepers in the world, we need guys who are imaginative, have footskills, vision, and in this case it really wouldn't hurt to have a guy who's very familiar with the nuances of playing in Mexico playing in the midfield.
I think snubbing Torres here would be stupid. Bradley doesn't necessarily need to start him or even play him, but he should be in camp for this one. He needs to know that regardless of form he's one of US.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 6, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

no rogers or kjlestan. pleaasseee

torres must go.

no bornstein either although i know his sorry arse will be there.

Posted by: castroviejo | August 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

This is exciting. I love the discussion. I have to say: Beckerman impressed me. He's solid.

Posted by: sawyers100 | August 6, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse