Wednesday Kickaround

Big day.

MLS FRIENDLY
Barcelona at Seattle
10:30 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
(Euro champions greeted by another huge U.S. crowd)

CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
W Connection at New York
8 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
(Teams tied opener but Red Bulls carry two away goals)

SUPERLIGA FINAL
Tigres at Chicago
8 p.m. Telefutura
(Fire seeking first trophy since 2006)

WPS
Gold Pride (Bay Area) at Sky Blue (N.J.), 7 p.m.
(Sky Blue can tie Washington for third with one game left)
Chicago at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
(Red Stars eliminated from race, Athletica No. 2 seed)

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2009; 8:49 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , MLS , SuperLiga , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Video: DCU's Victory

Comments

Superliga final? If Goff didn't report it, I would have had no idea.

Posted by: Reignking | August 5, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Is it too early to field offers for Fred?

I'm glad the club has advanced to the Group Stages of the Champions League. I'm also hoping that the club will reward fans with competitive packages for attending these matches. I'm also hoping the fans will also come out and support the club. Since they seemed to take it more seriously last night - I will be placing my order shortly.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 5, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Steve, thank you for the heads up on all these matches.

I too would be stoked if DCU could give a reasonable deal on Champions League tickets, how about getting United Drives to accept donations at these matches like they do during league matches, and honoring the buy one get one free ticket vouchers!?
I just might be able to get a few friends to come along if we could get a little break on ticket prices.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 5, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting -- the #1 All-Star vote getter on the ballots of both the WPS players and the coaches was Amy LePeilbet (tied with Marta among the coaches). Sonia is the only Freedom among the 1st XI

"Among each category of voters the top three vote-getters in descending order were:

Coaches: 1.) Marta & Amy LePeilbet (tie); 3.) Eniola Aluko & Lori Chalupny (tie)

Media: 1.) Marta; 2.) Camille Abily; 3.) Sonia Bompastor

Players: 1.) Amy LePeilbet; 2.) Marta; 3.) Sonia Bompastor

Fans: 1.) Hope Solo; 2.) Lori Chalupny; 3.) Shannon Boxx"

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Also interesting that Marta was not in the fans' top 3. What's wrong with those people?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I think we have empirical proof that the fans who voted for the WPS All Stars are idiots. Hope Solo? Jeebus.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 5, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

The fans' top three choices are Yanks, so it is clear where they are coming from. Then again, I'm not even sure they got the top three Yanks right.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Quite a month of soccer coming up for the Black & Red...

8/9 - 3:00 PM ET

Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup

9/5 - 8:00 PM ET
Saturday
@FC Dallas
MLS

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Sky Blue have a game in hand. A win against the FC Gold Pride and a tie at the Plex will put them in 3rd (assuming GD is the tie-breaker).

August 8th is a must win game for the Freedom. They need their Gattuso-like player to step up and give 100%.

@griffin1108: Hope Solo and StL have the 2nd lowest GA in the league, so maybe not all of the fans the fans are idiots. But yeah, when does a GK ever get the most votes? Ans - when she's smokin' hot. Hmmm... why isn't Heather Mitts in the top 3? OK, you convinced me, the fans are idiots.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff/Tenorio: Doesn't the Post have a policy against participation in All-Star balloting? That doesn't stop you from putting in your two cents here, does it?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 5, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

That's quite the schedule Kev29. Let's hope they take the week after Madrid to rest up some.

Do we see the reserves playing away in CCL, like we did last year, to keep the starters not worn down? Who takes the field against Marathon if everyone's healthy? Kocic; McTavish, Janicki, Burch, John; Szetela, Jacobson, Wallace; Khumalo, N'Silu?

We looked outrageously tired after about the 70th minute last night. I think it's going to be the travel, more than the games.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 5, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The balloting was by position, so you had to pick one GK. Most American fans would pick Solo, except Greg Ryan perhaps. And that is not a crazy pick anyway. It's either her or the Canadian for Sol.

I'm more surprised that the coaches would pick Aluko as second F. I watched her play twice, and I wasn't impressed by much beyond her speed, and I doubt she is faster than DeVanna. But they're coaching in the WPS and I'm posting on the Internet.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer | August 5, 2009 10:39 AM

I sure hope they use every sub available this Sunday (11?). Seriously, play a mixed starter/reserve team in the first half and a similar subbed team in the second. Play Wicks, Jakovic and Namoff together in the first to try and keep the score down (if Madrid care enough to attack).

Posted by: Kev29 | August 5, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 10:29 AM
------------------------------------

I believe the first tie breaker is head-to-head record and if SB tied at the Plex (after beating Old Pride) than Washington would be in 3rd, since the Freedom beat Sky Blue @ RFK (other two games were ties). Of course this would only happen if Boston loses to LA - if Boston wins (and the Sky Blue scenerio occurs)the Freedom would have 4th place (after tiebreaker) because Boston would have jumped into 3rd.

WPS tiebreakers are a little bit different but they are explained here for anyone who is interested:

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 5, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Old Pride, that's a good one.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 5, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

But they're coaching in the WPS and I'm posting on the Internet.
Posted by: OWNTF
================

Chin up OWNTF, next season many of them won't be coaching in the WPS, but you'll still be posting on the Internet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 5, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Still can't believe that the Red Bulls have a chance to play in the Champions League. In my opinion, MLS should award the 2nd "play-in" spot to the team with the best regular season record outside of the two automatic qualifiers (or the U.S. Open Cup winner). Based on the 2008 season, the Fire would have qualified instead of the Red Bulls - a much more worthy participant.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | August 5, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerfan80 | August 5, 2009 10:54 AM

=======

Freedom clinch third place (and a home playoff game) with a win on Saturday and a playoff spot with a tie. They can still get in with a loss but Boston would need to lose on Sunday.

Tiebreaker summary: Freedom beat out Sky Blue, Sky Blue beat out Breakers, Breakers beat out Freedom, all based on head-to-head competition. Don't ask me what happens if there's a three-way tie!

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 5, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Like I was saying last night, I think DCU needs to make a strategic decision about Champions League vs. MLS. I don't think they can compete seriously in both - there just isn't the depth.

My strategy would be: play the first 2 or 3 games of the Champions League with top or near-top teams. If we are essentially eliminated at that point field the reserves and concentrate on MLS.

Tommy Soehn did it the other way around against Firpo. If he had taken the first leg more seriously then we might not have had to go an extra 30 minutes last night and gotten even more exhausted.

But seriously, MLS needs to expand its rosters and increase pay. The schedule outlined by Kev29 is brutal. I mean, we had Benny with the crippled ankles playing 2 full hours of soccer last night.

Posted by: diego_r | August 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Are Red Bulls playing in Giants Stadium tonight?? I hope not, that is goign to be one EMPTY stadium

Posted by: Springfie1d | August 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

In the event that you don't have enough soccer on your plate for the weekend, or prefer to watch a Championship match rather than an overpriced exhibition.
Washington Freedom W-League side will host last years W-League champ, the Pali Blue. 2007 W-League champs v 2008 W League champs.

7:30 kick off at SoccerPlex and televised on FSC.

Posted by: footballfan9 | August 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Is it too early to field offers for Fred?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 5, 2009 9:13 AM |

-------------------------------------------------

Au contraire. It is almost certainly too late to field any offers. Transfer window is closing.

Posted by: fischy | August 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

They will no doubt play for a draw against Marathon. No doubt they will fail. My guess is they play a bit more serious lineup against Toluca, and a few more bench players in the Open Cup final.

Posted by: fischy | August 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that for the first time in a while it looked like DCU was taking the game seriously and was putting in the effort to win.

Of course, the situation was of United's own making by taking the first leg so damn casually.

Posted by: dcufan53 | August 5, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse