Wednesday Kickaround

*MLS tonight:
Los Angeles at Chicago 9 p.m. ESPN2
(Beckham unavailable because of red card suspension)

*WPS playoffs tonight:
Sky Blue at St. Louis 7 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
(Winner visits Los Angeles on Saturday for the championship)

*CONCACAF Champions League tonight:
Metapan at Houston 8 p.m. (tape delay on FSC at 9.....if WPS game ends on time)

*WPS commissioner acknowledges financial losses and future challenges.

The rest of the TV offerings are on the continuation of this thread, but first, here's the video from DCU's loss at Marathon:

*Soccer on TV:
Euro Champions League, Lyon-Anderlecht 2:30 p.m. FSC
Euro Champions League, Panathanaikos-Atletico Madrid 2:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol (5 p.m. tape on FSC)
England, Burnley-Manchester United 2:45 p.m. Setanta
England, Hull City-Spurs 4:45 p.m. Setanta
CONCACAF Champions League, Arabe Unidos-Pachuca 8 p.m. Telefutura
Copa Sudamericana, River Plate-Lanus 8 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League, Cruz Azul-Saprissa 10 p.m. Telefutura

By Steve Goff  |  August 19, 2009; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , MLS , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: MLS, CONCACAF, WPS, USL

Comments

Just curious. How many days until Janicki is cut?

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 19, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Are you forgetting LAG/Chicago on ESPN2, or you're just not mentioning it because Beckham won't be playing?;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It's the first game listed.

Posted by: Golden_Child | August 19, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Oddly enough there is also a replay of Sheriff/Olympiacos @ 11:30 am on Comcast Sports net.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I see that now... I really need to go get that cup of coffee...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

How many of our guys are injured? It was hard to recognize alot of them. Why did they get to retake the penalty shot that Wicks had saved?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 19, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

[Thinking Out Loud Again]

I know that there are cultural issues when leaving your native country for a new one, especially for work. However, is MLS and its wages so much more unattractive to Central Americans than I think it is? Is it harder to live in America than I think? Is it harder to integrate to the teams and the clubs than I'm assuming?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 19, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

To the tune of "A Milli"

JanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanickiJanicki

Posted by: the_slammer | August 19, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

No major injuries except Khumalo, which doesn't count. Namoff is not 100%; Jakovic and Szetela may not be 100% but I don't think either is listed as injured. Barklage is gone for the season.

What you saw were depth players and a few new signees. For the most part, they played surprisingly well and were deceptively close to a road result.

The penalty kick was re-taken because Simms entered the penalty area before the shot was taken. One of the 4 bonehead plays that cost DCU the match.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

LAG will probably pull this thing off, the reason they are playing so well is not due to Becks, but their good backline, which remains intact...sounders loss or not.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 19, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 10:34 AM
-------------------------------------------------

Perhaps Goff can clear this up by asking Simms about it, but it seemed to a number of us that Simms was knocked into the box by a Marathon player who also was thrown off by the PK-taker's stutter-step.

Despite his role in the goals, I wasn't impressed by Martinez. If he was trying to audition again for United, I'm not sure it was a fully successful performance.

Posted by: fischy | August 19, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@VABlueBlood:

There are quite a few Central American players in MLS. If you're wondering why there aren't more, consider two things:

1) MLS limits foreign player allocations for each club. Among those limited slots, CONMEBOL, UEFA, etc. players are preferred because of the strength of those domestic leagues.

2) Status! You can be a god and household name in your home country or a face in the crowd in the U.S. (e.g. Eliseo Quintanilla.)

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Question: When Simms came in for our new right back, the "Have a Tequila" guy, (who played well for his first time out of the barrel!) did we in fact go to a 3-5-2? I don't think Jacobson knows how to position himself well with two other CAMS, and why would we abandon the 4-4-2, which was effective with the notable exception of Janicki's play?

Posted by: dcarmy | August 19, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Since DC United players (Santino Quaranta) do not properly value the Champions League and DC United slaps the whole tourney in the face by playing second string players why doesn't DC United just throw the Open Cup final and let Seattle win so they can properly represent this league at the highest level.

Sorry but domestic league playoffs when there is no relegation is not more important than meaningful international competition that could lead to an MLS team facing Man U or Boca Juniors in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Winning MLS Cup does nothing to elevate the credibility of MLS teams or the league among the soccer fans in this country who couldn't care less about MLS so since DC stopped trying to elevate the league 10 years ago allow Seattle who seem full of money, swagger and no end of promotional resources to get a crack at it next year.

Or go ahead win another trophy and complain about a conjested schedule again....

Posted by: I-495 | August 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Just rode my bike by the RFK training fields and happened upon practice where everyone (I think) who didn't travel was present. Ok, except for Khumalo. Pontius was the only one not working out. N'Silu, Namoff, and Szetela were. Also two guys I didn't recognize. One could have been Adam Smarte. The other was Latin, maybe Central American.

Posted by: benonthehill | August 19, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Some teams lost up to $2 million. I wonder who and how much. On a positive note, the league has more sponsors coming so hopefully that will help.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I-495:

All Quaranta said, quite accurately, is that DCU may not have done itself any favors by beating Firpo. This is especially true since there is no longer a DCU reserve team.

Quaranta was one of only a handful of DCU players to survive last year's 48-game schedule or whatever it was. And he barely made it. So with regards to going through that again, I'll take his view over yours.

And you shouldn't overlook how close DCU came last night to a positive result against quite a good team on the road. Is Seattle a better team this season? Of course they are. But I assure you nobody is "throwing" anything.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Not only am I on the "Fire Soehn" bandwagon (since Saturday), but I'm about to jump on the "Double the Salary Cap" one as well. Considering the expansion fees that the league is bringing in, there has to be more room for salaries in the league's budget than there was years ago. Even if they just raise it to $3m or $3.5m, we would be able to offer more to keep the good American players (at least a little longer, everyone wants to go to Europe at some point) and get some real quality from our foreigners. I'm not saying Gomez, Moreno, Emilio, and Fred weren't good when we first got them, but other than Moreno they were all players who showed some skill but not many leagues in the world wanted them. We need more young Morenos, Fredy Monteros, and the like. Players who are good and can be around for a while. That will only come if our offers are comparable to at least the Colombian league...

Once again I was watching the A-league the other night and Sydney FC has a new left back, Sung-Hwan Byun from South Korea. He's played with the national team and frankly, he's really good. I know living Down Under is a huge draw for many people, but isn't living in the US a draw, too? I'm here, even if I may go back to the land of convicts sooner or later... And I know the AFC's CL is also much better known, but still, we should be able to attract some of that talent too.

I mean, we got Fred from the A-League, where he did great (I think he's one that does better with a strong supporting cast and little defensive responsibility), but why can't we bring in international caliber players?

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 19, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Just going by the youtube, the penalty call itself looked very weak *at best*. And Simms was clearly pushed into the box by the Marathon player draped all over his back.

These regional cups are a waste. The sooner the plug gets pulled on these obvious money-losers the better.

Posted by: Ron16 | August 19, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@Godfather_of_Goals,

I know about the quotas and I understand Idol Status argument. But still, for every guy that is signed after watching DVDs (Raphael Wicky, Franco Niell, Filomeno), we get a chance to see ON THE FIELD the type of players that are skinning MLS sides alive. Granted, style of play and chemistry play a lot into an individual's success (ahem, the "Five Guys" from last year).

I dunno - Watching these matches, I see a slow team that is lacking the creativity to seriously challenge.

I guess - my real complaint is lodged at the Salary Cap and the league's scouting and acquisition efforts.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Also, I'd like to back up the argument for the CCL having more importance. The US has tons of soccer fans. We don't need to win the casual soccer fan, because that often happens by them watching UEFA CL games. What we need to do is show our credibility to all those fans who feel that by watching the EPL on TV once a week, they are above all of us MLS supporters. We need to at least show well in the CCL to win over these fans, as people who follow international soccer site international competitions as a way of choosing a league to follow. No one wants to follow the Polish league unless they're super invested in it already.

End point: invest more in our rosters and make a real effort at winning the CCL and we have a legitimate chance of winning over the masses of soccer fans (maybe even Mexicans...gasp!).

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 19, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Considering the expansion fees that the league is bringing in, there has to be more room for salaries in the league's budget than there was years ago."

That's not going to happen every year.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I am upset at the result of this game because it takes away from our excellent, excellent performance for most of the second half. I saw fire and heart and blood (literally) and passion and fight for the shirt that I haven't seen in months. This came especially from Emilio prior to his injury and from Quaranta.

And I feel sorry for Janicki, I really do. An absolute nightmare. But the fact is, he was withuot a doubt the weakest link on the backline, and Marathon exploited it. It's a rare thing where you can quickly, easily, and without doubt point directly to a single player as being responsible for goals, let alone all three goals in one game, but that was the case last night.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | August 19, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

WPS averaged 4500 per game, and that is dragged down by some weak franchises. That seems quite credible to me.

Boston, NJ and Old Pride should find new places to play.

Freedom should do something about their front office. Their effort seemed weak to me. Sonia Bompastor deserved a lot more promotion and pub than she got from them. I hope she comes back next year. The soccer gods have blessed her.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

from soccer america

"Saint Louis (3,833), FC Gold Pride (3,667) and Sky Blue FC (3,651) fell below the minimum goal of 4,000 set by the league."

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

. . . and I think Freedom should bag the double-headers. That didn't seem to work so well. Except that Chest came out to see . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking... I wonder if Tino read everyone's comments yesterday and found a little motivation? He sure played harder than I expected, and I thought Emilio soldiered it out.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

FYI - DirecTV has on Channels 461-469 the other Champions League games live as bonus coverage, in HD as well. I would not have known about it, until last night when I saw a banner ad on my screen guide. Plus, like their baseball package, they have a Mix channel so you can watch every game at once.

So at 2:30 ET:

You have Lyon-Anderlecht on FSC (619)
Ventspils-Zurich on 462
Levski Sofia-Debrecen on 463
and a TBA game on 464

All of the games are in HD.

The Mix Channel is 461

Posted by: IamAM | August 19, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Freedom should have bagged the doubleheaders after the first one. They were a disaster. Since DCU supporter's groups didn't show up, even with free tickets for their reserved sections (I know, they were busy painting schoolhouses and rehabilitating injured wildlife), the atmosphere sucked compared to G-town. At one DH there were more Chicago Fire supporters at the WPS match than DCU supporters. Says a lot more about DCU supporters than it does about WPS, but the bottom line is, apparently the two don't mix.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"the atmosphere sucked compared to G[erman]-town" Godfather_of_Goals

This quote should be preserved for the remainder of time and carved into one of those sponsored paving bricks at the MD Soccerplex.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

In unrelated news Jozy Altdidore does not look likely to play against Tottenham today. It is really sad. The preview on Soccernet.com stated his work permit is being held back by red tape. I guess that means there is some sort of bureacracy involved. Either way it is BS. He is clearly a part of the US National Team side and is getting the same treatment Guzan got last year.

Posted by: no_recess | August 19, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Jozy will be on the roster v Michael Bolton this weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Agree with TassieTiger, except about the importance of Champions League. first, we need a bench of well paid talent, then we can worry about that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 19, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

==================

At the St L game, there were a lot of St L fans, including one shirtless, with "McNeill" painted on his back. He was very vocal, especially after McNeill went in as a late sub. After the Sawa shot deflected off McNeill into the goal, he wasn't as vocal. I was thinking of a good natured ribbing, but the dude was mega-wide, and I really wanted to stay for the United game rather than get shoved into a trash bin.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

We need to get real about club budgets and what is acheivable. My primary club team Ajax in the Dutch league has a player budget of €60 million. They have a first team roster of 30 players which they are trying to downsize, support one of the world's top youth academies which in itself has five feeder teams (including the reserve team). This is a team that cannot compete in the Champions League because they have to sell top talent on a yearly basis to Arsenal, Madrid, Juventus, etc. MLS with a less than $3 million budget and no reserve team approach will never be competitive as they cannot afford talented players. Top players want to go to Europe not the US and even Mexico is seeing a big talent drain at the club level from Euro moves.

Posted by: agoldhammer | August 19, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Good story!

I used the Fire example because Chicago's Section 8 are an MLS supporter's group like BB and SE. St. Louis doesn't have an analogous group (yet).

PS: apologies and props to La Norte, who at least had a presence at the doubleheaders.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

who needs supporters groups when Freedom has the dude with the tiny drum? Who's given up his voice for the team? dude's dedicated, and has been out at Plex for years in W-league as well . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"We need to get real about club budgets and what is achievable."

Agreed, and a lot of MLS clubs deserve credit for what they have achieved under this constraint.

And bearing in mind the following:

Fred $257,000.00
Emilio $758,857.14
Janicki $34,000.00
Khumalo $34,650.00
Moreno $250,000.00
N'Silu $76,254.00
Olsen $225,000.00

Quite a bit should be "achievable" for DCU next off-season.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

From a player's perspective I've gotta feel sorry for Janicki; what a nightmare of a game. From a fan's perspective, I hope he's not around long.

I havent seen a ref call encroachment on a PK ever, at the professional level, at least I can't remember the last time. That's the kind of call a ref in men's league would make on Sunday. How stupid.

Posted by: hacksaw | August 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"I havent seen a ref call encroachment on a PK ever, at the professional level."

So you didn't see the game last night?

Or, if you did, have you ever seen a professional player encroach to that degree before?

I see your point, but the call was legit.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 19, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Clearly you guys have never seen this video

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 19, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Jozy will be on the roster v Michael Bolton this weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 11:54 AM |

Sure, but until then, how are they supposed to live without him?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 19, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Reposted:

Can we get rid of Soehn yet? And can he take Janicki with him. This team pretty much controlled the 1st half yet made boatloads of plays that lacked fundamentals and were overmatched in the 2nd half.

That's all a reflection of the coach and/or the personel, who is brought in by the coach and higher ups.

Seriously, Emilio has got to be the slowest striker in MLS history.

Why can't DCU use their DP slot on a player worthy of DP status?

DCU should not mean mediocrity but under Tommy (when not using Novak's previously assembled team) that's what we've gotten.

Also, that Habarugira guy couldn't send in a cross from the right side to save his life.

Talk about a bunch of stinkers.

On a positive not, atleast Goff hasn't mentioned Brett Favre at all.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@Godfather_of_Goals

I do not see Khumalo going anywhere because he is relatively cheap and productive player. It's too bad he broke his hand because even though he was not the greatest finisher in the world he played with a lot of heart.

Posted by: no_recess | August 19, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

How long is it before he sees that his team plays better in a 4-4-2? Will he learn this lesson before he gets sacked for his 3-5-2 stubbornness? About 35 percent of me -- and that number keeps growing -- hopes he doesn't.

Posted by: runningcloud | August 19, 2009 11:10 AM
-----------------------

After the Toronto game I posted something pretty much just like this. In each of his 3 seasons as DCU coach Tommy has tried to install a 3-5-2 only to see it be a total disaster each year, yet he continues to do it.

Isn't the definition of insanity trying something over and over yet expecting different results?

Let's give Tommy a nice new Jetta and send him on his way.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if doubleheaders would be better if DC united plays first and freedom plays the second game? I think more Dc fans would stay to watch both games, face it no many people want to go home quickly after a game. they could at least try it once to see if it works

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 19, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking

Are you sure that he will be on the roster this weekend or is this another bad joke? B/c if he is I will definitely be celebrating all of Michael Bolton's albums this weekend.

Posted by: no_recess | August 19, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Rk - Yes, the money wont be coming in every year, but it's a good jump start. If we don't take advantage of it now, the league will squander it one way or another. After we get the new teams up and running, it turns out the number of clubs limited by football schedules and renting places resulting in poor game-day revenue will be in the vast MINORITY. Think about it, next season the only teams renting their facilities will be United, the Revs (who aren't renting, but whatever they're losing money), Houston, SJ, and Chivas USA and half of that rent goes to another MLS team. Toronto might count because BMO Field belongs to the city, but if I'm not mistaken I believe they get a substantial amount of ticket sales. MLS as a league is becoming more and more financially viable and investing an increased $million+ per team would help the league draw in more of the vast numbers of US soccer fans who ignore the "bad version of the Coca-Cola Championship".

The collective bargaining agreement is up and the league has a surplus of startup cash on hand. The Players' Union couldn't be in a better position to help push MLS into doing what's best for itself.

Posted by: TassieTiger | August 19, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

According to twitter, things are in line for him to play against that no-talent ###-clown.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Everyone here is assuming that DCU is going to win the US Open Cup. IMOO, I think DCU is not going jack-caca this year. DCU has some talented new players, but still some old and new cacas are messing up the roster (including the manager).

Posted by: fedster | August 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Surplus of cash?

The league has tons of debt. We can't pretend to know what the overall financial picture is.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Reignking

Sweet thanks.

Posted by: no_recess | August 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Reignking

Sweet thanks.

Posted by: no_recess | August 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Simms was pushed into the box. It was blatant.

McTavish's yellow was completely unwarranted.

The less said about Janicki the better.

Habarugira looked good for his first match, especially considering he was playing with the B-Team, he'll do much better with the A-Team.

Speaking of the A-Team, I bet they'd get a much better result. Hannibal always has a plan (something which can't be said about Soehn), Face can charm anyone (including blatantly biased officials), Mad Dog would show those divers how ridiculous they look rolling around, and B.A. Baracus (Mr. T) would be a force in the box.

Have I mentioned my disdain for Tommy yet? No? Here's to hoping somebody pushed him out the emergency exit of the plane at 25k feet over the Gulf of Mexico.

Why weren't United fans (namely the Barra and Eagles) watching the Freedom matches during double-headers? Because we don't care about the Freedom. Watching the horribly slow and clumsy version of soccer they perform would cut into time better spent tailgating.

WPS, fold it. Women's Professional Team Sports will never be a money-making endeavor.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Diego Maradona is moving to America and asking his bank to have their ATMs dispense only $1 bills.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

=============

Did you mean fold MLS? It will never make money either.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 1:44 PM |
-------------------

One could probably argue the same could be said if one were to compare the MLS to EPL or La Liga.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

I agree about Martinez. However, he has looked better for Honduras than he did last night. I think that ship has sailed.

dcarmy:

When Simms came on for Habarugira, Olsen moved to the right side of midfield and McTavish moved to right back. The team on the field looked like this:

---------- Quaranta - Emilio
Wallace - Jacobson - Simms - Olsen
John -- James --- Janicki -- McTavish
---------------- Wicks

OWNTF:

Do the doubleheaders cost the Freedom?

And I agree that they need to get the word out concerning Bompastor. I don't know if I've ever heard her brought up outside of a WPS broadcast or here, and that's just baffling.

hacksaw:

Last time I remember it happening for certain was DC vs. Kansas City during the Hudson era. Etcheverry converted the first one, but was forced into a retake. Convey, along with at least one KC player, was in the box. Meola saved the second, despite a) coming off his line and b) the presence of players from both teams in the box again. Considering the typical August weather, the fact that DC was in charge of the game, and the fact that DC was in the midst of a lengthy scoreless streak, it stands as one of the worst single moments of the bad times in my mind.

On the plus side, MLS dropped Noel Kenny as a referee due to his general bungling soon thereafter.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 19, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

Do the doubleheaders cost the Freedom?

====================

Good question, I don't know. I would think they sell fewer tix at RFK because the DC United holders get in on their DCU tix.

I met a guy at the last game who had driven up from southern VA with his kid to watch Freedom and then stuck around for DCU. They were into it big time (DCU that is). So maybe United got something out of it they didn't expect.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I need to vent about something. I'm sick and tired of the front office getting a free pass concerning the play of this team. Did Soehn do the following:

1)Bring in Emilio and designate him as our DP
2)Bring back Gomez, Moreno, and Olsen creating an older roster.
3)Bring in Janicki
4)Bring in John
5)Bring in the fiasco that was last years international players
6)Until this year draft miserably for several years in a row
7)Fail miserably in Prince Georges County due to horrific public relations
8)Bring in N'Silu and numerous other miserable strikers the past few years

The talent is a huge, enormous part of the problem and that is on the front office not Soehn. Please don't tell me this is all on Soehn. Garbage!, Garbage!, and may I say complete and utter garbage!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 19, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

We probably could sustain a 3-5-2 as long as the River Hound was not in the middle.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 19, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Sports never have to make money in America. Over half of NBA teams are unprofitable (Sports Business Journal). Now take that statement and recall that David Stern took out emergency loans for some of those guys last year and look at their season ticket renewals to-date.

IN AMERICA - you can be a loser and still win. Just ask Bob Nardelli about Home Depot.

In America - all that matters is that you can carry the losses from your sports investment over to your PERSONAL income taxes as an offset to taxable income. Will Chang is losing money on DC United, but he's not paying anything to the US Government in exchange.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 19, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

So can we just send our tax payments to DC United instead of Uncle Sam? I would check a box for "DCU left back" instead of campaign funding for sure . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Jozy is still awaiting his paperwork and won't play today, so in case anyone is DVR'ing the game vs. Spurs today, heads up.

Posted by: Section117 | August 19, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the FSC broadcasters know if these CL games are head-to-head or round-robin.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The Janicki comments have been a little bit overboard since last night. The guy had a terrible game. Clearly his worst game in a United uniform. But I can't think of a time that any veteran player in any professional sport was immediately cut the day after a poor performance, as many of you are advocating. Things just don't work that way. He's here through November, and after that he's probably gone. The good thing is that Julius James has probably already moved ahead of Janicki on our depth chart at CB, so Janicki will probably get less playing time in the coming months.

@Chest - As stupid as this sounds, it actually looked to me like Simms was playing RB, not McTavish.

To put things in a different perspective though, look at the positive side from Doug Hicks via twitter… DCU has 15 total games left in the regular season (9 MLS, 5 CCL, 1 USOC). 10 are at home where United has only lost to Real Madrid.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow. 19 Min into the game - Burnley 1 - Man U 0.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Goff, 9/15: "I hope you appreciate Burnley"

I do Steve, I do...

Goal - Burnley 1 (Robbie Blake 19) Man Utd 0

Posted by: Kev29 | August 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

They must be going absolutely mental at Turf moor

Posted by: Kev29 | August 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

alecw81,

I pity the fool trying to win a header in the box.

Godfather_of_Goals,

So, if Olsen, Fred, Moreno, and Emilio ($400K against cap) can only accept pay cuts to return, we have up to $1.132 million + Cap Adjustments to spend.

...To upgrade the offense primarily?

(Note: I would not necessarily like to see any of those four players leave the club.)

...I do hope a European club doesn't sniff at Pontius... I mean: Hey! EUROPEAN CLUBS! Sign Avery John!

Posted by: B_A_ | August 19, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD | August 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

About those 10 home games...two wins and eight draws right?

/snark off

Posted by: Section117 | August 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

FIRE SOEHN!

Posted by: supamars11 | August 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Burnley save a United penalty!

he he he he

Posted by: Kev29 | August 19, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Chest_Rockwell

That was not the formation when Simms came on last night. Your formation makes the most sense and that's why Sohen didn't use it.

Simms was playing CB and Janiki was playing RB.

Posted by: francisco_11 | August 19, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

1)Bring in Emilio and designate him as our DP
2)Bring back Gomez, Moreno, and Olsen creating an older roster.
3)Bring in Janicki
4)Bring in John
5)Bring in the fiasco that was last years international players
6)Until this year draft miserably for several years in a row
7)Fail miserably in Prince Georges County due to horrific public relations
8)Bring in N'Silu and numerous other miserable strikers the past few years

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 19, 2009 2:20 PM
-----------------

C'mon you really think Soehn didn't have any say at all in any of those points you listed?

You really think the Front Office just went and did all that on their own and basically said, "Okay Tommy here's what we're giving you to work with without any input from you, go get it done"?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Columbus started their best lineup at home last night with Marshall, Gaven, Rogers, Schelotto, etc. all on the field and they cruised. i wonder if DC will do the same when Marathon comes to DC? i wonder if we'll even know what their best lineup is at that time (injuries aside). in my ideal world, perhaps something like:

Emilio - Tino
Wallace - Szetela/Jacobson - Gomez - Pontius
Burch - Jakovic - Namoff - Habarugira
Wicks

with Moreno, Olsen, James, John, Szetela/Jacobson, Allen/DiRaimondo/Khumalo/whoever, Kocic on the bench? or you could put James in the middle and move Namoff to the right with Habarugira on the bench. can anyone play on the left in a 4-man back besides Burch? seems like a lot of permutations that could be adjusted depending on opponent. whatever they do, they simply can't field a lineup as slow as the one in the 1st half last night.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 19, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

oh, forgot about Fred. i guess because i've never particularly thought very highly of him.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

dimes -

Columbus has this weekend off and had no need to rest their better players.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 19, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Columbus has this weekend off and had no need to rest their better players.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 19, 2009 4:05 PM

They have this weekend off + no qualifying for Champs League earlier this month (obviously) and no glamor friendly in 98 degree heat. 6 matches this month to our 8.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 19, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

if Fred is back next year at any more than 50% of his current salary, I'll be done with the team.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

quibble -- gaven came on at like 78 last night

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@dimesmakedollars - You also forgot about Simms!! Namoff was ok when forced to play CB a couple times last year due to other injuries, but he has always been much better on the right. I think Burch-James-Jakovic-Namoff is going to be our best 4-man backline.

@VTUnited - If your support of this team is so slim that you would no longer be a United fan if they resigned Fred, then good riddance.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 19, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Full Time - Burnley 1 Man Utd 0

:-D

That's one for proper football fans all over the world

Posted by: Kev29 | August 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

of course I didn't mean that. I'm just really tired of Fred.

Posted by: VTUnited | August 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone claim that Sport's arent' around to make money? The Redskins are a cash-cow for Snyder.

If you don't believe that MLS is now making a profit, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Next year they will be firmly in the black with RBNY at their new spot, Philly opening in Chester, and the future looking good for stadiums for Houston and KC, and the impending arrival of Portland and Vancouver as well.

Then there's the expansion fees from Philly, Portland, and Vancouver...

Combine all of that with the paltry salaries in MLS, and you have a profitable league.

I'm sure some will retort: "What about the losses sustained by initial investors?"

As others have said, they were merely used as tax-write-offs for Anschutz, Hunt, Kraft, etc.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Any argument to fire Soehn must be supported by an argumment to fire Kasper. Janicki is his find through his old contacts with Pittsburgh and John Kowalski. The decision to trade the one-year-removed MLS defender of the year for a free-spirited GK who retired while doing a Jack Kerouac imitation was due to Soehn's loss of confidence in him, but agreed to by the GM. Also, the horrible defenders brought in 2007 (Peralta and Martinez) were products of the Kasper/Soehn "scouting" trips to South America. Those two take their rightful place in the hall of South American infamy along side Gallardo, Donnet, Erpen, and Filomeno. Veron worked out really well, too. Let's face it: this team has had neither heart nor soul since Nellie left.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 19, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009

=======

Freedom have a much different staff now than they did at the beginning of the season, so I'm hoping they'll do better going into next year.

Sonia has a signed contract for next year, so she'll be back. And now that they know what she and the other internationals are capable of, one hopes the marketing will expand to include them.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 19, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

hahaha good one Igm

“We are excited to be acquiring such a solid goalkeeper with a huge upside,” United general manager Dave Kasper said. “Zach has been on our radar for several years, and we believe he will have a huge impact with our club for years to come.”

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Donnet would still be the best left-wing midfielder United had seen since Earnie Stewart if we didn't try to low-ball him on his contract.

Filomeno would also provide more than Emilio. He simply wasn't given the opportunity.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Are the Freedom expected to keep their other Internationals?

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@DCUMD

Do you think Janicki is worthy of wearing a DC United jersey ever again?

Posted by: redskinsux | August 19, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Solo would have stopped that shot... oops.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

You guys seem to forget that Fred did 4/5ths of Gallardo's work for him. He got beat up that year. Let him heal.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 19, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Torres in the starting XI in the Pachuca/Arabe Unidos CCL match. Americans abroad right?

Posted by: DadRyan | August 19, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"I do hope a European club doesn't sniff at Pontius""

I think his performance against Real Madrid put him on some radars. Although he goofed on the shot in the box, he more than held his own both offensively and defensively.

Posted by: delantero | August 19, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I think Janicki is physically capable of playing at this level. He's got good size, he has decent speed and he showed well for us at the end of last season. I think he was in the Open Cup Champ game? He is capable, if just mediocre skill wise as well.

But mentally and tactically, he's a high school player. His ill-timed slide tackle against Colorado, his play on the goals last night . . ugh.

Too bad we don't have a reserve team so that he could get up to par (or maybe that's what CCL will be?)

Posted by: delantero | August 19, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 6:10 PM
************************

What a comical comparison.

Nothing personal against Filomeno, but his 1 goal in 12 appearances over 2 seasons wasn't enough to justify a big (by MLS standards) contract.

Emilio busted his head open last night scoring the tying goal and has scored many other goals in non-MLS competitions that don't show up in his MLS stats where he has 39 regular season goals in less than 3 years.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 19, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Jersey. I also don't like Athletica.

Jersey wins 1-0

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

@redskinsux That's not the point though. My point is that we're stuck with Janicki for the rest of the year, whether we want him or not. I would rather have Janicki as emergency relief for Jakovic if he gets injured. I HOPE that we never see him in a DCU jersey again, but I think we probably will. And judging from 90% of his matches, it won't be the end of the world.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 19, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Feels weird to be rooting for LA Galaxy right now, but I am. Gotta support my boys AJ and Omar!

Posted by: DCUMD | August 19, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

If we're playing that game I gotta support my boy Patrick Nyarko.

No, no I don't.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta’s World Cup dreams are still intact. The city is on a pared-down list of potential host cities for the bid to bring the World Cup to the United States in 2018 or 2022, Atlanta Sports Council president Gary Stokan said.

Atlanta is one of 27 cities that made the cut from the list of 37 metropolitan areas that submitted proposals about three weeks ago. The list will be announced Thursday by the bid committee.

Posted by: Reignking | August 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Sitruc, don't tell me you're a Hokie..

Posted by: the_slammer | August 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a proud Hokie. I'm still not going to pull for Chicago though.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Houston 0 - Metapan 0 at the half. Time for the FSC guys to proclaim the game over and Metapan headed back to El Salvador with 1 point in the home-away series.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

@sitruc: Hmm...I must say, your Hokies have been nothing but trouble for my Hoos (soccer-wise) since the ACC expansion...but I gotta admit Nyarko is a beast. Saw him at Klockner in 2007, as I was calling the UVa/Tech game for ACC select in Tech's College Cup season in front of 8,000 fans when UVa's Giallombardo saved a Tech penalty in overtime to preserve the tie...

I for one am glad the UVa/VT rivalry is clearly extending to the soccer pitch. Don't get me started on my Hoos though. If you think people want Tommy gone, just ask Wahoo soccer fans about Gelno..

Posted by: the_slammer | August 19, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Chicago fans chanting "Shoot him like a horse" at an injured Mike Magee, who was only on the ground for 10-15 seconds... Classy

Posted by: carmines757 | August 19, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Final: Houston Dynamo 1-0 AD Isidro Metapan. Goal by Ching at the 68th minute, assisted by Holden.

Also: Arabe Unido (Panama) 4-1 Pachuca.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 19, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll refrain from taking cheap shots at UVA tonight. They still have men's lacrosse.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

CCL website says Cruz Azul and Saprissa are playing in a hard rain in Mexico tonight...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 19, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

...and Cruz Azul have just gone up 1-0.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 19, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

H1N1 makes an appearance and scores a goal.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

UVa could make a run deep into the NCAAs this year. Could've last year, if not for injuries to two standout freshmen (Agorsor and Tchani). Tchani was leading scorer and ACC FotY playing only 13 games

Posted by: carmines757 | August 19, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice mid-week crowd for the Fire. Is it kielbasa night?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 19, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Tech is picked to finish last in the ACC. I just want some stability this year. Last season was an embarrassment. They aren't a top of the league team, but they have plenty of potential to pull upsets. They were very disorganized last year. The loss of Coach Weiss could be a blessing in disguise as the team starts over and remakes itself.

Posted by: sitruc | August 19, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Cruz Azul now up 2-0 on Saprissa in the 1st.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 19, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Also: Arabe Unido (Panama) 4-1 Pachuca.

Posted by: SportzNut21

Wow - anyone know what happened there?

Posted by: Pedalada | August 19, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@sitruc - No need for cheap shots, my friend, especially since this is on a soccer blog (don't think I'm not well versed in my school's football and basketball struggles as of late!). I'm just glad that UVa and Tech are cultivating a nice soccer rivalry. Nyarko and that 2007 team were very impressive indeed.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 19, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that was really the point. I think the emphasis was on the scouting and talent acquisition of DCU. Unless a caoch has a dual role that is not the job of the coach. It is primarily on the front office. Basically that extends across virtually every team sport not just soccer.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 19, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca lost..?
Didnt see that one coming..

so after tonight..MLS has done well..2-1..so far..

FSC has officially put me to sleep during a somewhat close match...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 19, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I guess the front office dilemma has been fueled up after last night.

Galaxy won...

I dont like it.. DC has it tough...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 19, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@Pedalala: I only have the live commentary from the CCL website to go on, but it looks like Arabe Unido had this game well in hand for most of it; it was 2-0 to the home team at the half, Pachuca didn't score until the 78th minute, but Arabe Unido came back shortly thereafter with their fourth goal.

Torres played the full 90 for the Tuzos, had one volley go over the crossbar in the first half but didn't see his name mentioned the rest of the match.

It is entirely possible that people are underestimating the Panamanian side.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 19, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

If LA plays half as well as they did tonight on Saturday, we're screwed.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | August 19, 2009 1:44 PM |
-------------------

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 19, 2009 1:57 PM
__________________________________________

At halftime of last night's MLS broadcast, I saw a promo for BSPN's upcoming coverage of the Little League World Series. Why is this event televised year after year, since no one can be expected to watch it? Surely people will see what a horribly slow and clumsy version of baseball they perform, and quickly change the channel.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 20, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The LLWS gets good ratings year in and year out. It has for many years.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 20, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Of course it does; no one was questioning that. Perhaps my attempt at irony missed the mark.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 20, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse