Wednesday Kickaround

*D.C. United prepares for its second Champions League group match tonight at RFK (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura).

*The RFK forecast from the Capital Weather Gang.

*Chicago Fire defender Bakary Soumare is off to France.

*Americans abroad last night: MF Jose Francisco Torres goes 90 minutes in Pachuca's 5-0 win over Metapan in Champions League.

*Saprissa overcomes a deficit to defeat Puerto Rico, 3-1, in the Champions League. Former DCUer Domenic Mediate scored for the Islanders.

*Former DCU prospect Bryan Arguez is back with Hertha Berlin after the German club couldn't come to agreement with Charleroi in Belgium concerning a loan. His reps continue to look for a new destination.

*FC Dallas draft pick Brian Shriver , who was playing PDL this summer, is headed to Miami FC for the remainder of the USL-1 season, I'm told.

*Virginia Tech reports 11 recruiting violations under ex-coach Oliver Weiss.

*Shintaro Harada, a Japanese midfielder-defender for USL-2's Crystal Palace Baltimore, is training with the first team of the organization's parent club in London for a week.

For today's TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
Euro Champions League, Arsenal-Celtic 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Euro Champions League, Olympiacos-Sheriff 2:40 p.m. Setanta
Euro Champions League, Fiorentina-Sporting Lisbon 5 p.m. FSC
Euro Champions League, Stuttgart-Timisoara 7 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
CONCACAF Champions League, D.C. United-Toluca 8 p.m. FSC, Telefutra
MLS, Real Salt Lake-Chivas USA 9 p.m. Direct Kick
Copa Sudamericana, Flamengo-Fluminese 9 p.m. FSE
Mexico, Queretaro-Atlante 9 p.m. Galavision
CONCACAF Champions League, Cruz Azul-Columbus 10 p.m. FSC, Telefutura

By Steve Goff  |  August 26, 2009; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , TV , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jozy, Americans Abroad, Emilio, USA Women
Next: Video: Saprissa Victory

Comments

Does anyone know if Cervi get any playing time for Celtic or is he on their reserve squad?

Posted by: no_recess | August 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I keep forgetting the match is tonight and at 8.

Posted by: sitruc | August 26, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Well, I wanted to jump all over VT, as I always do, but it sounds like Weiss violated stupid NCAA rules that really have no consequence. If that's true, I hope it works out for him.

He fronted money, and the players paid him back -- and that's a violation. It isn't like he paid them off.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

DC United 1 Toluca 0 : 98 CONCACAF Champions Cup Final : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh1RiWLwp6k

Posted by: ESFan21 | August 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I HOPE Columbus gives Cruz Azul a run for their money....Respect for MLS.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@sitruc: according to yesterday's comments, that would make you a "plastic fan." I prefer the more specific term "PVC fan" because PVC sounds like a Dutch or French team.

Did anyone see the Mythbusters where they debunked the myth that the plastic blades of a ceiling fan could decapitate a person (actually a test dummy, Discovery's ethics committee wouldn't allow the use of an intern). The only way they could get a "fan" to decapitate the dummy was to use a lawnmower motor and replace the plastic blades with sharp metal ones. Why not just use the lawnmower blade you ask? So did I.

But I digress.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Gyau, Renken to leave US U-17s and join Hoffenheim. Widely reported.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 26, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Re: VT

Jump away. Their coach was an idiot, so they punish the athletes -- unilaterally declaring current players ineligible, and instituting a three year ban on foreign recruits? That is some weak sauce. And while they're busy needlessly denying scholarships to non-US players, do you think any top US recruits with any choice in the matter are going to pick VTU?

Oh well, SG will be happy - one less team the Terps need to worry about.

Posted by: jon@dotorgdigital.com | August 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Likely DC lineup for tonight?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 26, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking: Many years ago, when Florida was accused of 107 NCAA violations (but only found guilty of 51) a number of the indictments accused asst. coach Mike Shanahan (yes, that Mike Shanahan) of giving players rides in his old beat-up car. So some of the rules are really ridiculous. Lending players money, however, is not such a bad rule because there isn't any type of accounting to ensure the money was lent, not given.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

thanks for that link from 1998. I must have been at that game but I have no recollection of it at all. There's Eddie Pope scoring the winning goal (AGAIN!). Tell me why he's not in the DCU hall of fame yet!?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

You're right, I-270Exit1. Sorry, I thought they just start playing whenever I show up. I was going to push it up to 7:30.
Tech basically fired Weiss, jon. He didn't go unpunished. Tech self-reported the minor violations and took action so the NCAA wouldn't. Players who broke the rules were declared ineligible. That's how it always works. It didn't matter where they were from. They weren't kicked out of the school. They had to sit out while they regained their eligibility. The school isn't recruiting overseas for a few years to show they aren't messing in any grey areas while everything is fixed. Weiss is a good guy, but the athletic department had quite a few problems with him(some rightfully so).

Posted by: sitruc | August 26, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Mediate's goal was very nice. You may begin ranting now.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Yank Yanks Kickaround musings (coz ya know that they are a commodity):

Shintaro Harada--

While he is over there, training with the big club. That dude can play. I was shocked to see him back with Crystal Palace Baltimore last season.
He can play defense, he is a good holding mid or he can distribute. Even if he looks great over there and a club wants to sign him, the work permit thing is going to jam him up. That guy is definitely able tio contribute at MLS level and he should have been at least USL1 last year. A first division someplace like Scandavian or Austria or Switerzerland would be a good fit for that dude because he is very versatile. Or a second division opportunity someplace.

Domenic Mediate--
A lot of the Islanders supporters have been killing online and in the stands. They have been all over Clarke about why he plays him over other guys. I know what the ex-Terp, Crewman and United player can do because I, like many of you have watched him for years now. I know what he was capable of. Dude looked like his old self last night. The goal was class finishing and he helped us attack.

Puerto Rico Islanders--
After making the longtreck in the car to Columbus last week to see us lose to a very, very good Crew side but play our usual backloaded, conservative style (by the way, road trips to support your club(s) are a lot longer when your boys lose)--I was emotionally drained (the listening to a LOT of smack from Crew fans who have finally won some hardware eafter they beat a second division club thing didn't help my frustrations). So, even though the result wasn't what I had hoped--seeing us goin forward. Ironically enough. Some of the same supporters who want Clarke fired (insert rolled eye here) are still complaining after we finally opened things up a bit.

Ok. We lost. Saprissa is a good team with a couple of dudes that have made World Cup rosters and others that have appeared in WCQ's. We attacked on the road last night. Mediate played a role in that. But we attacked and the truth is that we were played off the field. Each of the goals was the result of Islanders poor play and/or poor defense. Add in the sick finishing of Centeno.

Centeno-
Even at his age, he could still be a good addition for the right MLS club. he took a very little space and made a clinical type finish.

Man I really hope DC wins tonight.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Mediate's goal was good last night. I wasn't paying attention during the replays, but did I hear something about a handball?

Posted by: sitruc | August 26, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

What was the hitch with Bryan Arguez...was it over playing time, or pay etc?

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@ Fedsscocr
It is a crime that Pope isn't in the hall. Unfortunatly the 'Hall Protocols' only allow for 1 entry per year. A player must have been retired for 2 years and no more than 10 years.

I can't think of anybody other than Pope, Diaz-Arce and Richie Williams that meet that criteria and that we would want in the hall. (Roy Lassiter meets criteria but we don't want him right?)

Nominating committee consists of 1/3 owners, 1/3 club management and 1/3 player alumni (whatever that means.)

Pope must be on the next ballot right?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy
===================

But you have "Yagdeosingh." Where was Gaudette anyway, suspended for accumulating time wasting yellow cards?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Goff:

Anton Peterlin and Cody Arnoux were subbed into Everton's reserves match yesterday in the 70th minute in a 3-0 win over Burnley reservers. Arnoux scored the third in the 82nd minute. Not a bad start for the boy.

Posted by: DrunkenDuncan | August 26, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DrunkenDuncan | August 26, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The only thing more silly than most NCAA rules are British work permit requirements.

Posted by: Pedalada | August 26, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I HOPE Columbus gives Cruz Azul a run for their money....Respect for MLS.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@arswift24
I have a hard time rooting for any MLS team other than United. I enjoy our status as the team with the most trophies.

We don't root for the DallASS Cowgirls to bring respectability to the NFC East. We don't root for MexiCRAP to bring respectability to CONCACAF do we? Or do we? I sure as HE-double-hockey-sticks didn't cheer for the Philladelphia Dilly's when they won the World Series last year.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Pope will definitely be in the DCU HOF, I don't get why people are upset he isn't on the ballot this year....it's a lock he will get in...

BTW, when is the winner of this years inductee going to be annonuced? I'm going to be upset if RDA loses :(

Posted by: ESFan21 | August 26, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@sitruc: One of the replays of Mediate's goal from one angle seemed to show that he turned the ball off his chest and that he didn't use any arm. Maybe some of the Islander supporters will get off his back and Clarke for playing him for "Stan".
I think that it was his best game in an Islander's jersey since we signed him.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@I-270: Yeah, we got Jandeo and he has been an excellent signing. I still think that he could have made the match @ Crew stadium a different one last week. Addlery doesn't run at guys. Kendall will run at a defender or two and his speed is very useful. When you play with 10 guys behind the ball like we usually do in CCL, you need a guy like Jandeo or Fabrice Noel to give you a puncher's chance...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

9Nine9,

Not really a DC United fan! Just a fan of good football. SHUN! SHUN!

Also If Mexico were in the semi's of the World Cup and playing against...say...England, I would be hard pressed not to root for them. CONCACRAP no more!

Posted by: arswift24 | August 26, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Pedalada...I think the NCAA in general is out of step...I actually believe the Universities should be allowed to pay college players, even if its just a stipend.

Posted by: alan19 | August 26, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Well if you watch the game between cowlumbus and cruz azul, are you telling me that you would cheer for cruz azul? I hate columbus everyday even on sundays but I despise mexican futbol 10 times more, in fact I even root for NY against those teams.

So go crew

by thw way there is no way you could compare pointy ball,hockey, or baseball because those teams never play int comp.

Posted by: Norteno4life | August 26, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@arswift24

Point taken Mr. Arswift. No offence intended. If Mexico and England were in the World Cup final I would root for a tie. ; )

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I would root for Columbus and Cruz Azul both to lose. Unfortunately, that is not possible under the current points system.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 10:55 AM
********************************8

Suit yourself.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | August 26, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

No...Can't root for Crud Azul!!! Deep down I guess It's who I hate more. Yes I hate Crud more than the Columbus Goo. They could both find the bottom of the group. That would leave Puerto Leako and Saprississy. Also hate Saprisissy!!!

OK: I want the Goo and Puerto Leako to take the group. United will can deal with them in the knockouts.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 26, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

That's a really horrible analogy, 999.

If DCU is not involved, I hope that any MLS team succeeds when playing another league.

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@Norteno4life: I get your general gist but some of the hockey and baseball teams I follow do play in international competition that counts for something. Basketball, too. They are just not based here in the States...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I'll root for an MLS or USL club over a club from an outside league.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

What do you guys think lineup wise? There is a game tonight, you know!

Be very interested to see how The Tommy juggles players between tonight (3rd most important game?), Saturday (2nd most important game?), and next Wednesday (most important game?). Here is my prediction:

-----------------------Kocic----------------------
-Namoff---James-------McTavish--Hab-
--------------------Jacobson-------------------
--Shipilane--------------------------Allen----
---------------------Szetela---------------------
---------Pontius-------------Moreno---------

Bench: Quaranta, Jakovic, Fred, Emilio, Simms, Olsen, Wicks

that is of course assuming that Szetela has clawed his way out of the doghouse by this point?

Posted by: the_slammer | August 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say the Islanders were attacking last night. They were less conservative than usual, to be sure, but Gargan and Gbandi both mostly stayed home, and Arrieta made maybe one run forward for the entire match. It was more pleasant to watch as a neutral, but it was more of a run-of-the-mill defend and counter scheme, rather than their normal CCL approach.

Mediate's goal was well-taken, whether or not he got away with a handball beforehand. He dusted Saprissa's best defender on the way in, too. I think he benefited from playing as a winger; in MLS, he was generally looked at as not talented enough to play that high up, and so his work rate and athleticism were all he could really show off in more defensive roles. From what I saw, he's more useful than Villegas on the right (Villegas backed this up by coming on for Mediate and offering absolutely nothing).

The Islanders had a couple big problems last night. Steele had a terrible game, and the lack of central midfield pressure gave Centeno too easy a time in controlling the match. I hardly endorse the brand of soccer James Marcelin plays (Technical ability? Who needs it?), but they needed his effort and physicality. It's a shame about Steele, because Saprissa was ripe for the taking in the first half. Sequeira played about as poorly as he used to in MLS; lots of fouls, never quite in the right place at the right time, etc. If Steele had been on, Saprissa would have been in trouble. At halftime, they adjusted (Paniagua came in as the defensive midfielder, and Sequeira became a center back to win anything in the air and not lunge into tackles), and the game was more or less over.

***

Did anyone else watch the Pachuca-Metapan match? Aside from Paco Torres hitting the bar twice (once from over 30 yards just 29 seconds into the game) and Gregorio Torres totally dominating the match, there was something crucial to note: Metapan was terrified of Pachuca from the start. Meanwhile, against Houston at Robertson, they believed they actually had a chance. The gameplan (keep the shape, defend as a unit, break on the counter) was identical, but against the Dynamo they actually believed it could work, and were only broken down when Holden and Ching came on. At Estadio Hidalgo, meanwhile, they were scared to death and 5-0 was more or less a fair score.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | August 26, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know a site I can go to and find out how the Women's European Qualifiers are going? Thanks.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

uefa.com

Posted by: Reignking | August 26, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Nine9nine I'm with you. The rest of this league can rot for all I care, I hope Cruz Azul hangs 5 on the Crew.

If DC can't have success, I don't want any of the peon clubs in this league to have anything to crow about.

Posted by: spidergoose | August 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@ yankiboy

"I will root for a USL club over and MLS club (as long as they aren't playing DC United)."

DCU > other MLS (except the Fire who I despise) > any USL > anyone from anywhere else.

"I'll root for an MLS or USL club over a club from an outside league."

+1 per above

"I will never root for the Yankees or the Red Sox (not even if it is an inteplanetary competition)..."

a big +1 to that!

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | August 26, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I saw Toluca walking back from a shopping trip to Pentagon City! About 15 guys in red and white warmup gear. I didn't recognize their shield but have now looked it up. How about that. Had I known who they were I could have said . . . hey, you're Toluca aren't you. Think of it.

I was going to assume it was them -- how many other soccer teams can be wandering around here today? -- but was afraid it would turn out they were the Aegean Hawks or who knows who.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | August 26, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@Chest:

1) You were right about the friend that I was referencing last week who went back to USL1.

2) Your point about my use of "attacking" is noted. Let's just say that I would have preferred to have seen us go forward more in DF leg of the semifinal with Cruz Azul or when the DC Brigade of the Foreign Legion headed to Columbus for the game with the Crew last week.

3) Johhny Steele was banged up yesterday and we weren't sure that he was going to be able to play. He gave it his best. Clarke felt like it was better to use Steele then switch him out.

4) Last night Saprissa was doable but we failed to sieze the opportunity. Even a point would have been a good result. They could have been had but we just didn't get it done.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ESFan21 | August 26, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

He should have been ahead of Agoos, let alone this years nominees. It is a real slap in his face. I'm not sure what gripe KP may have with Pope but there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that KP honestly feels this years nominees are more deserving. Something isn't kosher with this.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 26, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

anyone got a live feed for the celtic game?

Posted by: nairbsod | August 26, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I should qualify that - a free live feed.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 26, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 26, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

thanks

Posted by: nairbsod | August 26, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 26, 2009 1:28 PM
_________________________________________

I just posted a couple of comments on this tournament under the "Jozy, Americans Abroad, etc." thread.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I've just been reading the summary of the Euro tournament that Soccer American provides to its subscribers, and I see that Anne Makinen, from the WUSA incarnation of the Freedom (and Notre Dame before that) started for Finland in its opening win over Denmark. It seems that she is now playing in Sweden. I wonder whether she would ever return to these shores.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Make that "Soccer America."

Posted by: universityandpark | August 26, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@u&p: If they pay her enough then of course she will come. Especially when we tell her that we had an unsually mild summer this year...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 26, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1: You should have followed them to their hotel so that you could find the team bus and let the air out of the tires.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 26, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If Mexico made the world cup semi-finals, not only would it not be against England (because they would have choked in the quarters), but there is NO way I'd cheer for them. I'd hope they loose by double digits, as I always do when Mexico plays.

It'd be like a Red Sox fan cheering for the Yankees in the World Series. Not a chance.

Posted by: hacksaw | August 26, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

So if Diaz Arce gets voted into the "Hall of Tradition" in 2009, and Eddie Pope gets voted in in 2010… Who do we nominate against Richie Williams in 2011? Geoff Aunger? Brian Kamler?

Posted by: DCUMD | August 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

How about Bruce Arena?

Posted by: croftonpost | August 26, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, my point is he will get in....what does it matter if he's not in before someone else...what matter's is he'll be in...

Posted by: ESFan21 | August 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Today was crazy. I ran into a couple DCU fans here and there in the Farragut/Dupont vicinity today. I was the dude in the Olsen jersey with the Looooong Flatbed bicycle trailer with Edible Arrangements on back.... did you see me, seeing you?

I also ran into some DCU employees walking by Connecticut and Mst today with one of the MLS Cups. I actually had my camera on me and got them to take a picture of me with the cup! It was pretty awesome. Sean Hooper gave me his card, and I didn't get the girls name. They also gave me some stickers, I suppose they were going to another We Win Trophies event?

Cool to see others rockin' the Black and Red around town and just slightly mind boggling that I'd actually happen upon the folks with the trophy on the street!

Posted by: DadRyan | August 26, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse