Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

France, Marseille-Lille 3 p.m. Setanta
MLS, Kansas City-Chicago 3 p.m. Telefutura
Brazil, Corinthians-Atletico Mineiro 4:30 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, Santos-Cruz Azul 5 p.m. Telefutura

By Steve Goff  |  August 14, 2009; 7:42 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: USA in Trouble?
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

I'm ready for another 10 months of "Not in the 18."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 14, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

So what's going on with this EPL to ESPN in the USA deal? Setanta has removed (suspiciously) all 7.45 ET games from their line-up. WTF mate? Did it go through or not?

Posted by: arswift24 | August 14, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Another season without Setanta. Life is so dull sometimes...

FiOs couldn't come sooner.

Posted by: adamsunited | August 14, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Liverpool/Spurs on Sunday should be great! Lots to pick from.

Posted by: Beckster1 | August 14, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Now that many of you have been exposed to the mun2 channel for the first time, are you likely to go back?

Posted by: universityandpark | August 14, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

mun2: Women in skimpy outfits, but speaking English instead of Spanish. Of course I'm going back. What a silly question!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 14, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I might watch this, over and over:

Posted by: Section117 | August 14, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

C'mon ESPN - focus - more soccer, less infidelity by coaches, dog fighting by athletes, and DUIs and car accidents from Baltimorons.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 14, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Spurs/Liverpool - a great way to start the Premiership campaign.

Posted by: Baltimore1202 | August 14, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

It isn't this weekend, but it seems appropriate to mention that Comcast Sportsnet is actually going to be broadcasting UEFA Champion's League starting next week. On Tuesday their noon EPL replay will be followed by a Champion's League pregame show and then a live match reportedly in HD! If anyone else has any information on Fox Sports having any other plans to broadcast games on their family channels, especially ones on basic cable! Give a hoot.

As for this weekend I am hoping I can readily turn on the tv in Charlottesville and find the DCU game on.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 14, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, I went to UVA and had no trouble finding United games. They get CSN on basic cable in Cville.

Posted by: the_slammer | August 14, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan,

Yes - the lack of a clear broadcast schedule from our friends at FSC/Fox/Rupert Murdoch & Friends for their new ratings rocket is a little frustrating!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | August 14, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, Landon has swine flu.

Discuss.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | August 14, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Landon Donovan disclosed to Grant Wahl that he has swine flu. He's pretty sure he contracted it prior to coming into camp last Sunday.

Posted by: addick | August 14, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

i thought altidore's first game with hull city was going to be on espn this weekend or something?

Posted by: joe_hill | August 14, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

CSN has scheduled a second rebroadcast of the Freedom match Sunday at 4:00 p.m.

Speaking of which, I received an email from the Freedom last night. They have scheduled another postgame party at Glory Days in Germantown tomorrow night, allegedly an opportunity to meet the players, and with a promise of free wings if they score at least three goals. They also had three opportunities to meet players at area watering holes (in Bethesda, Germantown, and Georgetown) last night. However, the email announcing these events didn't arrive until about 7:30 p.m. Combined with last Saturday's beer garden fiasco, I think the Freedom front office needs to work on logistics a bit.

There were a fair number of Sky Orange fans who made the drive down to the 'Plex last Saturday, and I expect even more tomorrow. I offer this in their honor:

Posted by: universityandpark | August 14, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I might watch this, over and over:

Posted by: Section117 | August 14, 2009 8:45 AM
------------------------------------

The only way this could have been better is if after they got up, most of them formed a wall, and then one of them kicked the ball into it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 14, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the update on the Sunday Freedom replay universityandpark. and also thanks for the reassurance on finding the DCU game down yonder the_slammer.
@VBB, I'm just excited that I'll be able to watch some more Champion's League without a cable box.

Posted by: DadRyan | August 14, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

forgot

England, Chelsea FC-Hull City 7:45 am. ESPN 2

Posted by: pino149 | August 14, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Can't watch DCU Toronto -- I have M-I-L duty visit this weekend.

Sunday morning, no surprise -- United v. Brum.

@ JfA-ish@9:47 and ignored Rooney. Berba, and Giggs unmarked in the box and tried for another step-over.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | August 14, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I plan on watching everything. Memorial services will be held on Tuesday...

I am also surprised that the Hull-Chelsea match is not listed as promised for Saturday @ 7:45 on ESPN2. What's happened?

Posted by: fischy | August 14, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'll be watching a little bit of everything. Here's my plan:

Dortmund @ Hamburg
DCU @ TFC
FCD @ Crew
L'Pool @ Tottenham

Posted by: FCRoleModel83 | August 14, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why the Freedom chose a Saturday starting time that directly conflicted with United? I know their world doesn't revolve around DCU but a substantial percentage of their fan base are United fans. Why not play the game in the evening?

Posted by: croftonpost | August 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So is Jozy guaranteed to start on Saturday? forgive my ignorance.

Posted by: CityBlues | August 14, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | August 14, 2009 9:21 AM

========

They did have announcements on Twitter and Facebook that morning, but even that's pretty late.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 14, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: croftonpost | August 14, 2009 11:27 AM

========

I don't think it was the Freedom's choice - it was between the league and Fox Soccer.

And I don't know how much overlap there is between DC United fans and Freedom fans. There certainly wasn't much evidence of it at the doubleheaders - when the Freedom fans were inside watching the game, the United fans were still outside at the tailgate parties.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 14, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The game is tape delayed on CSN. It isn't on Fox Soccer. Your point is well taken concerning the doubleheaders. I for one, didn't get that. I like a good tailgate as much as the next guy but there was soccer to watch. No brainer as far as I'm concerned. I just tailgated earlier.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 14, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom game is in fact being carried live by Fox Sports Net, not to be confused with FSC. CSN has acquired the rights to show the FSN broadcast on a delayed basis.

Posted by: universityandpark | August 15, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse