Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

WPS All-Star Game 5:30 p.m. FSC
England, Aston Villa-Fulham 8 p.m. FSC
MONDAY
Spain, Sporting Gijon-Barcelona 3 p.m. ESPN Deportes

By Steve Goff  |  August 28, 2009; 8:20 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hamid, United Agree
Next: DCU, Freedom, U-20s

Comments

Anybody else rooting for Burnley to knock off another one of the big four?

Posted by: addick | August 28, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

My DirecTV recorder will be humming this weekend:
UEFA Super Cup, Barcelona-Donetsk 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
England, Manchester United-Arsenal noon FSC
Italy, AC Milan-Inter Milan 2:30 p.m. FSC
MLS, Chicago-D.C. United 8:30 p.m. FSC
WPS All-Star Game 5:30 p.m. FSC
England, Aston Villa-Fulham 8 p.m. FSC

I have no idea how I'm going to get all of these games in this week. But one thing I won't be getting in is the "Taking Woodstock" movie. Like watching pigs in slop.

Perhaps that concert is the original source for H1N1? I-270, any input on this?

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 28, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

@addick. You bet!!! I am soooooo rooting and following Burnely this year. Would love them to stay up. Upset that I have to work @ 8:30 so I will only see first 1/2.

Also hoping Fulham can kick Villa while they are down and just got booted from Europe.

Posted by: Sec131 | August 28, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

The competition MLS faces in the world of (just) televised soccer on any given weekend is really quite astounding.

Posted by: tab5g1 | August 28, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@tab: True, but there is nothing like live soccer. Of course, DCU looked pretty dead the other night. If they don't start to show some heart, watching some other team on TV might become a more attractive option.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | August 28, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

No La Liga games on ESPN2 this weekend? What happened with that?

Posted by: PEddy | August 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

wow. Times sure have changed. What did I ever do on weekends before this boom in games to watch?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 28, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

UEFA has charged Eduardo with diving for his flop against Celtic:

Posted by: addick | August 28, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

ESPN showing EPL games is going to be a huge knock to FSC. Champions League is big, no doubt, but the games don't really matter until the knockout stages. Not having the monopoly on the top European league every weekend is going to hurt.

Posted by: kingchros | August 28, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Your TV list is wrong - Barça game on Monday is on regular ESPN at 4, not Deportes. In HD no less!

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | August 28, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Didn't ESPN sub-let the games FROM FSC in the US? And, if that's right, FSC is getting paid anyway?

Posted by: JkR- | August 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

King,

I don't know, it could have a positive effect for FSC. Someone who normally wouldn't watch games on FSC could stumble upon the game on ESPN, enjoy it and then look for more games and find that FSC has more games on later in the day and watch those, too. Doesn't appear that the matches on ESPN or FSC overlap, so it shouldn't hurt them.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | August 28, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Guys, for those of you still clinging to Setanta, Hull City v Wolves (your weekly Jozy fix) shows for the first time 12am on Sunday and again at 9:30am Monday.

Posted by: cn3000 | August 28, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I love that ESPN is now showing games in HD! I'll be watching Arsenal v. ManU; DC v Chicago, and Aston Villa v. Fullham; as well as Barca on Monday in HD. Only wish I could also watch Celtic! Glad it's a rainy weekend and i'll be spending it inside to watch these games.

Posted by: gallegoscot1 | August 28, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If you don't watch the Man Utd - Arsenal match, you're not a soccer fan.

If you don't watch the DC United - Chicago Fire match, you're not a DCU fan.

If you don't watch the LA Galaxy - Chivas USA match, you're not sold on MLS tradition and rivalry.

If you don't watch the Aston Villa - Fulham match, you probably have family or significant other desperately trying to compete for your attention.

If you don't watch the Santos - Tigres match, you're excused if it's because you're boycotting Mexican soccer.

Posted by: fischy | August 28, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't think ESPN showing epl games hurts FSC at all. What really matters is the match ups. Who has Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal? Those games seem to be spread around among the various outlets. What hurts FSC is not having an HaychD outlet yet.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN's La Liga matches are presented. Will they also be HD? Will they use the crappy Gol TV announcers or the world feed English announcers?

Posted by: fedssocr | August 28, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

If you don't watch Stoke City - Sunderland, you don't know DeLap.

If you don't watch AC Milan - Inter Milan, you don't know Gooch. Actually, it's OK to pass, since there's no chance of Gooch playing, but if you get excited to watch the Galaxy - Chivas "Superclasico" and not this game.....???

Posted by: fischy | August 28, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm a huge fan of how Arsenal plays.

Eduardo's dive was a disgrace to the game.

Posted by: joedoc1 | August 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

My schedule is a little tight this weekend but the following games work well enough that I may be able to catch bits and pieces of them:

Friday
Germany, Moenchengladbach-Mainz 2:30 p.m. GolTV

Saturday
England, Stoke City-Sunderland 5 p.m. FSC
MLS, Chicago-D.C. United 8:30 p.m. FSC
MLS, Los Angeles-Chivas USA 11 p.m. ESPN2

Sunday
Germany, Hamburg-Cologne 11:30 a.m. GolTV
MLS, Colorado-Houston 3 p.m. Telefutura
England, Aston Villa-Fulham 8 p.m. FSC

Posted by: croftonpost | August 28, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

no one cares what I watch

Posted by: nairbsod | August 28, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I guess I have to grant Wenger the right to defend one of his players, but it's absurd to say there was no intent to deceive or influence the referee. Eduardo didn't get out of the way -- and even if you think he might have, he embellished his dive deliberately. Maybe he was anticipating contact, but he was clearly already engaged in showing the referee that he was fouled - a foul that never happened.

Posted by: fischy | August 28, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: UniteforDC | August 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I heard on the excellent source, Big Soccer, that M. Bradley royally pissed off his manager and will be watching from the bench. Is this true?

Posted by: arswift24 | August 28, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps that concert is the original source for H1N1? I-270, any input on this?
Posted by: joedoc1
==================

Maybe it was. The well-behaved concert goers, who did nothing to outside of the law, complained about the "pigs" cramping their style. Little known medical fact: Woodstock was the site of the first clinical trial of the raw form of Marinol as an anti-emetic to treat the nausea from the "bad acid going around" and just about everything else.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@nairbsod

I care buddy. Whacha gonna watch?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 28, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Must see games:
- Arsenal- MU
- Milan- Inter
- Marseille- Bordeaux

Posted by: charlie015 | August 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Eduardo is Croatian, and Croatians don't dive.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

thanks, 9. that makes me feel better. ;-)

C'mon Burnley!

Posted by: nairbsod | August 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Re: Eduardo, it's pretty clear that he was not touched, but here is where Wenger makes a couple of pretty valid points --
a. If they charge him guilty, he gets a two-match ban. If the ref sees it at the time, he gets a yellow. How does that make sense?
2. UEFA and Platini have long said there is no need for video for things like goal-line calls, talking about taking the game away from the refs. They are even adding extra officials on the goal line during the Europa League group stages to avoid video. But video is OK in this situation?
Thirdly, consider the player. Eduardo has played nine games since having his leg shattered by Birmingham's Martin Taylor. He probably couldn't be blamed for being a little skittish when anticipating contact.
UEFA could be going down a dangerous road by reviewing things that were not called on the pitch. I mean, how many mystifying referee's decisions have we seen in MLS this season alone? And DC will never get those points back. I would be very disappointed and surprised if UEFA went ahead and banned him for this.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | August 28, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@nairbsod

Ok, now you got somthing to live for...the Burnley match. Now step away from the ledge.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | August 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

They need an overhead camera. That would solve everything.

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm good now. Got my bulgogi from the street vendor at 14 & L. :-) Highly recommend the spicy combo (chicken/beef).

Posted by: nairbsod | August 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@nairbsod

I care buddy. Whacha gonna watch?
-------------------------------------

"I'm not your buddy, pal!"

Posted by: arswift24 | August 28, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh? Eduardo was born in South America? Well, that changes things. I'm surprised each time I see a South or Central American match and all 22 players are on their feet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | August 28, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

only game for sure watching is my Dynamo in Colorado. Hopefully i'll watch the Hull game as well (not sure what the "clinging to setanta" thing is about, if you've loved soccer for any amount of time in the states you should appreciate and

Posted by: crocken | August 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

mjhoya12:
If Eduardo was anticipating contact, wouldn't it make more sense for him to try to leap over it to escape injury, rather than collapsing into it? This was a dive, pure and simple. And it worked. And it's time one FA (any FA) stepped up and tried to stop this.

Posted by: wichne | August 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Only one game matters. Your Tottenham Spurs with a 4th straight over Birmingham to sit atop the table alone, as it should be.

Posted by: StikSav | August 28, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It might, but I can't say, I've never suffered that kind of injury nor have I played the game at that level, at that speed.
Again, it seems clear there was no contact and that he should have been booked during the game, it's the retroactivity of this that worries me. I also hope, should they decide to ban him, that they stay consistent. Would UEFA do the same thing if it were one of their golden boys, like C. Ronaldo, Eto'o or (heaven forbid) Messi? Maybe we'll get a chance to find out.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | August 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh how i wish i got Gol TV. I-270, I am shocked to0 when I see all 22 players standing in a match from the already mentioned regions. I love the get kicked in the ankle grab the face due and pretend injury in face mode myself.

JoeDoc "Taking Woodstock" looks terrible and I too will refuse to pay the $10.50 that movie theaters attempt to charge these days.

Mr. Goff thanks for answering my question on the previous thread.

While, Eduardo is a diving cheat. How can UEFA justify charging/suspending him? They refused to use video evidence to overturn D. Fletchers unjust and completely wrong red card in the UCL semi-final last yr, which ended up costing Man Utd and essential part of their midfield (Barca still wins no matter what), because UEFA and Plantini said appeals and video evidence is not part of the game. Certainly the hypocrisy makes no sense.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chigrinsky, supposedly on his way from Shaktar to Barca, is playing for Shaktar against Barca, in the Super Cup.

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Shevchencko is available

Posted by: OWNTF | August 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | August 28, 2009 11:59 AM

Two Korean American coworkers took me there last week for the first time when I complained that there was no good barbecue in town for lunch. The bibimbam was yum-my.

Posted by: sec133row5 | August 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

whole lota of peeps up in here I have never seen before... that's good...

@OWNTF Shevcenko is too old... while he MIGHT do wonders for United... we need fresh meat..

to all the Eduardo knut riders: here's hoping his other leg is broken by some Scot. Karma Bizatches.

ps where's Goff?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | August 28, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

waxtap

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe his silence means there is news to come on Szetela.

Posted by: cjholden15 | August 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

he did say something about a family gig. But I like the Szetela speculation better.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 28, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he went to a wedding in New Jersey.

Posted by: Reignking | August 28, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

He's at the new "Taking Woodstock" movie

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | August 28, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

This Barca v Shaktar match is a real snoozer.

Posted by: alecw81 | August 28, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

There's no everton fans on this blog? (besides me). Can't wait to see if Sylvain Distin does anything to shore up the defense. And the Yak is back!!

Posted by: spikeman | August 28, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

M. Bradley didn't even make the 18 today. Something that makes me go mmm, wtf?

(I am pretty sure his team played today or I am having an embarrassing brain fart.)

Danny Szetela has been suspended for making everyone watch a bootlegged version of "Taking Woodstock" on one of the teams many road trips.

Posted by: grubbsbl | August 28, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

grubbsbl,

I heard he pissed off the manager.

The manager thought he was putting in subpar performances, and Mikey disagreed...vehemently.

Posted by: arswift24 | August 28, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

is Bradley already in USMNT camp or has that not convened yet? Is it only like 3 days before that their clubs have to release them?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 28, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

for those watching the Chelsea/Burnley game in glorious HD .... can we sign Jensen as our DP. this guy is amazing. He's stopping everything. "The Beast" is right.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 29, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

So, with NCAA throwball starting next week will ESPN abandon these Saturday showings? I'm not seeing anything scheduled for next week...

Posted by: rss317 | August 29, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I should qualify that - the first half he stopped everything.

Good question about NCAA.

Posted by: nairbsod | August 29, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so next weekend is an International break weekend...I guess that's why no EPL matches...

Posted by: rss317 | August 29, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse