Americans Abroad

Matt Taylor not in 18 for FSV Frankfurt's 3-2 loss to St. Pauli
Mike Grella 8 in Leeds' 0-0 tie at Southend
Marcus Tracy and Aalborg at Randers on Monday

Orozco scores San Luis' second goal:

By Steve Goff  |  September 13, 2009; 5:50 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: MLS Playoff Race

Comments

I hope Bradley and Onyewu start picking up some minutes, we could really do without more club-benchwarmers starting for the Nats.

Posted by: TassieTiger | September 13, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Worrisome about Gooch. Although he did play Wednesday. He's the only player not called up.

Posted by: ncguy | September 13, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

boca played 10 minutes not 80.

Posted by: euroman | September 13, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

If the US needs some help in D and in the scoring sheet..

might want to take a look at...

Orozco & Castillo

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 13, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Why was Orozco up there, anyway, for that goal?

Posted by: Reignking | September 13, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Approximately 190 days until United's first 2010 league match.

Posted by: Curious99 | September 13, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Michael Parkhurst didn't play in Nordsjaelland's 2-0 win at Midtjylland
Danny Califf didn't play in Midtjylland's 2-0 loss to Nordsjaelland
=========================

I was going to go to this game. Glad I changed my mind.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 13, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Jay Needham with a goal...

Posted by: Reignking | September 13, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I saw Clint Dempsey chase a ball down to the end line and cross it to Damien Duff, who sent it wide. Somehow this is the same Dempsey that plays for the USA.

The Post's Ombudsman's column was a response to complaints about the coverage given to Snyder's team. The Ombudsman compared it to the other local pro teams except, of course, United. To quote Maurice Sendak, "Let the wild rumpus start!"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 13, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow that's a lot of not-in-18s! Maybe they could be annotated with i for injured, y for yellow cards accumulated as applicable (come on Goff, you've got plenty of spare time for that, right)?

And I thought Adu was actually going to play for Benen-whatever it is? The coach there wanted him and wanted to play him, etc.? Sad.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 13, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 13, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing, I-270. I am an Everton fan and I was ticked off at Dempsey because he showed so much effort in that game but didn't show any effort against TNT.

Posted by: spikeman | September 13, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

If it makes you guys feel any better, Dempsey missed numerous chances to score and had one hideous cross-field pass that sailed out of bounds. For most of the game he looked a lot like the far from sharp player the USA has seen in the qualifiers.

Posted by: fischy | September 13, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say Dempsey?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 13, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

This is just a complete guess, but maybe Belenenses have an agreement not to play Freddy against his parent club (not unheard of in loan situations)? Either that or he's disliked by every manager on earth after about two weeks.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 13, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

When you have a head the size of blimp, you need to hit a tower to bring you back to earth.

Adu needs to earn his spot. And I think he is going into clubs with other aspirations.

reminds me of Brian Fellows...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 14, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about Dempsey playing poor today as Skyports had him as man of the match His hustle was tough to watch as he never plays like that for the USMNT but I have noticed that four about a yr now. Its amazing what constant competition will do to a players work ethic.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 14, 2009 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Steve G. and other bloggers:
There was a "Fredy" with # 22 playing striker for Belenenses for 90 minutes yesterday. All their players had one name only; you SURE that he didn't play?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | September 14, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

*Adu is back in not in the 18. Is that better or worse than not in not in the 18?

* You Dempsey haters are unbelievable. Dempsey was incredible against Everton (as was Duff).

* I was glad Fulham/Everton was televised because it reminded me why I bother to watch soccer. That match at RFK Saturday was atrocious. DC United stinks.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 14, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

fellas, fellas! easy on the Adu hate. He's only been there 10 days and this was a league match. he played 45 minutes in each of the two non-league games and he is getting to know his teammates and tactics.

and no, the Fredy #22 isn't him. It's a Portuguese forward, but yeah, I did a double-take as well.

Posted by: troy6 | September 14, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

The highlight of Saturday night was Batala the drum women in front of the stadium. I should have just gone home when they were done.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 14, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

My son is #8 on his U8 team and was excited to have Clint Dempsey's USA#. So we had a talk about working hard on both sides of the ball. I'm happy to say that the message got through.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 14, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Kev29, I think its just part of his loan agreement that he can't play against Benefica. I remember Carlton Cole having a similar clause when he was on loan from Chelsea to Charlton Athletic a few years back.

Posted by: addick | September 14, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Sky Sports readers say Dempsey was the top player on the field in the F'ham-Everton match, but don't rate Timmy too badly either: http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3162387,00.html.com.

Posted by: bartapest1 | September 14, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse