D.C. United News & Notes

*Luciano Emilio update: The Brazilian striker is, indeed, classified as a green card holder for the U.S. Open Cup final and won't count against the limit of five foreign players on the 18-man game-day roster Wednesday night at RFK Stadium.

*Bill Hamid update: The 18-year-old goalkeeper, who is the first homegrown player to sign with the club, trained with the club this morning. A formal announcement about the contract and whether he will be on the actual first-team roster this year (doubtful) is expected this week. Forward Andy Najar, a DCU youth academy prospect, also participated in practice.

*GM Dave Kasper, on the Josh Wicks-Marc Burch on-field exchange the other night: "The last several minutes of the game were particularly intense. At the end of the day, you want your keeper to step up and take a leadership role. Can he learn to do it a little bit differently? Probably. But he's got the right stuff and that's what we want. We want someone to lead and organize in difficult times during the game. I'm not bothered by it. Everything is fine. We move on."

*Ben Olsen: "We're done with it. They're friends again."

*Wicks: "That's water under the bridge. It's nothing a box of chocolates can't fix. It's all good."

You bought him a box of chocolates?

"Something like that, yeah. I hope he likes them."

I will have much more on the Open Cup final in Wednesday's print edition (available online this evening).

By Steve Goff  |  September 1, 2009; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Poll: U.S. Open Cup Final

Comments

Wicks can follow Soehn on the next train out of Washington. These guys are a waste of payroll.

Posted by: doctortechie | September 1, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

wicks is whack

Posted by: OWNTF | September 1, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Wicks is the man!!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | September 1, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I like Josh Wicks a lot and hope that he continues to improve. He's miles ahead of where he was last season in LA.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | September 1, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

A box of chocolate (laxatives).

From Steinberg's chat:

Seattle: Over/under attendance for Sounders/United match at 15,000. Which do you choose? Of course Seattle would have drawn over 30,000 but that's okay, next time. Fortunately D.C. fans are used to losing (Natinals) so you won't be devastated by the crushing defeat. Go Sounders!

Dan Steinberg: Uh, Goff said around 15,000. I guess I'll say over. I mean, the We Win Trophies thing has to have lodged in the heads of 400 or 500 people on the fence. It's certainly lodged in mine. I haven't been to a United match in months, but I'm planning on going to this one. Not least because I've heard at least one or two Caps will be there.

I will say that a loss Wednesday probably won't provide lasting damage to the D.C. sports psyche. Sorry to spoil it for you, Seattle.

Also, you're going down!!!!!!!!

Also, your uniforms are ugly.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I laughed out loud about the chocolates. Any chance it was a nice twelve pack instead?

Thanks for the final clarification on DCU's roster availability. Down to the wire.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Wicks finally returned Burch's right foot, which he had previously been hiding in his fro.

What, the Burch right foot jokes are getting old? No way!

Posted by: the_slammer | September 1, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Who thinks Danny "Doghouse" will be playing?

Posted by: nairbsod | September 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hooray! Emilio will play. I'm sure we'll score at least 3 goals, then.

Very cool that Najar was practicing with the club. Worth noting that, last winter, Goff was reporting that Hamid was practicing with the team.

Without a reserve team, it seems likely that the team would allow Najar to develop in the academy system -- but, with all the young Americans now signing foreign academy deals (Renken, Gyau, Gil and Lletget (among others?)), I wonder how long United will want to sit back and watch him without offering him a deal? One year? Two? Three?

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

My barrista told me that all D.C.-area Starbucks employees have been given free tickets to the game.

And they've formed a supporter's group just for this match: Java Java.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 1, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

you might see people really jumping up and down when the Java Java throw hot coffee in the air after a goal

Posted by: OWNTF | September 1, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about yall, but Wicks is Wicked!! He's so sick with cat refelx saves and he's got the passion to defend his goal. My man. Vamos United!!

Posted by: zizou1972 | September 1, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

{group hug}

Posted by: Kev29 | September 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting the 'box of chocolates' is a six-pack of chocolate stout.

Posted by: mmathai1 | September 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Danny Doghouse playing? On the one hand, I'd almost hate to see him in this game because he's probably rusty after such a long layoff; on the other hand, he should be ready to run if he's been working on his fitness all this time . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

ECS will be drinking at RFD tonight at 8. Wonder if any DCU fans gathering at the Green Tortoise will feel inclined to welcome them to town after some pints.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Keepers have been yelling at defenders since the beginning of time. The media are always looking for that edge to stir controversy, which they have been doing since the beginning of time.

Posted by: peridigm | September 1, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Wicks.

He's a keeper.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 1, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the Starbucks supporters group name be "Java Brava"??

Posted by: BaltoFan | September 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Joedoc, you can expect a yellow card for one more rash, clumsy wordplay....

;)

Posted by: JkR- | September 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, and Starbucks was founded, where?

Wonder if those are upper level seats.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 1, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

It all starts with Payne - Payne goes and DC will be a better place. It's time for the club to move on . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | September 1, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LCR-54 | September 1, 2009 1:11 PM

On what planet do you spend the majority of your time?

Posted by: JkR- | September 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

For the @#$@#$th time, Payne owns part of the team. He is going nowhere.

Wake up.

Posted by: Reignking | September 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the Starbucks supporters group name be "Java Brava"??

Posted by: BaltoFan | September 1, 2009 1:06 PM
===================

Hey, I only report the facts as I make them up.

@JkR: I'm awaiting your 11-game ban! I'll apply that when I'm next on vacation...

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@josedoc1: Either that's a long vacation or fixture congestion is worse that we thought.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Emilio on the Green Card!

Posted by: alan19 | September 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Is there any possibility of giving Kasey Keller a standing ovation the 1st time he touches the ball or something?

It seems like he should be honored before we root against him.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@999 -- Why? His national team days are now long behind him. If you want to applaud his introduction, fine. Standing ovation? Cheering him during the game? Are you nuts?

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

999-
Seriously... Why don't you just buy a beer for him while you're at it?

Posted by: mason08 | September 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

While we're discussing our current DP, and also future United players, this is definitely worth noting:

Patrick Vieira is suggesting he might be moving to MLS after his contact expires in '10. I think as a native African, he might feel comfortable in DC...Plus, the French Embassy would go ga-ga having him here....

Right now, he's not even in the national team picture. If that doesn't change, he might be available immediately after the season.

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Emilio on the Green Card!

Posted by: alan19 | September 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

At least it wasn't a yellow; or worse yet, a red.

(Either I missed it, or I'm surprised no one picked this one off...)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

How about applauding Keller when he touches the ball to get it out of the net after DC's first goal?

I-270, The Great Compromiser

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Jeez. I didn't want to swap spit in the shower with him.

I humbly withdraw the question!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As has been mentioned in a few threads since Saturday night, Wicks passion is great, but he just may need to learn what makes his defensive line tune him out. As a former defender, if my goalkeeper was constantly screaming at me, I may have pushed him away, too. After a while, he just started to sound like a loud version of Charlie Brown's teacher. Then somehow a few through-balls got past us and he would shut up. But that was amateur league. These guys actually have to learn to brush the chips from their shoulders and support each other. As far as I'm concerned, there are only a few DCU players that have earned the right to really lay into someone during the game and Wicks isn't one of them. But he is in the best position to justify it. It's only in blogs like this one where we remember who missed their mark. The rest of the world just remembers the goalie didn't save it.

Posted by: spata1 | September 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

How about we throw bottles at Keller when his back is turned for "wasting time"?
Eff Keller and Eff the Scroungers!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wicks has done well this year, much better than I expected from him (and I imagine nearly everyone), however, I won't be surprised if both he and Kocic are exposed in the expansion draft, as I see the logic in DC keeping one, but not both. So unless DC has established a preference for either, let Philly make the choice for them.

Wicks might be a touch sharper than Kocic now, but Kocic obviously has much more potential, and could possibly net some cash on the transfer market in a few years.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | September 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wicks and Burch have both made a positive impact this season. Its good to hear that the "box of chocolates" has been exchanged and we can move on. I do think Wicks had a right to be concerned and upset about a line that creeped ever backward. That line should have been set at about the penalty mark--and that should be expected and demanded from a pro team.

Posted by: snakebit | September 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where the Sounders are staying tonight? Hey did I mention I may have H1N1?

Project Mayhem does not exist!

Posted by: dsheon1 | September 1, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

On what planet do you spend the majority of your time?

Posted by: JkR- | September 1, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Barney Frank is the man!

Unless you weren't referring to his great shutdown in a town hall meeting. In which case...

...this just got awkward...

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 1, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

"Emilio has to take a pay-cut. The green card must mean he wants to stay in the US. Give Jakovic and Pontius a raise."

And, I hate to say it, cut Ben Olsen. He simply does not have it anymore.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll clap for Keller when he is introduced. I have a lot of respect for that guy. Just like I always clap for Bruce Arena, Alecko, etc. But it ends there - once the game starts it's DCU support only.

Posted by: Pedalada | September 1, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

And, I hate to say it, cut Ben Olsen. He simply does not have it anymore.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 1, 2009 8:21 PM
---------------------------------------------------

For someone who hates to say something, you strangely do keep saying it.

Posted by: fischy | September 1, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

And, I hate to say it, cut Ben Olsen. He simply does not have it anymore.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 1, 2009 8:21 PM

__________________________________________

Wow, cut the heart and soul of the team. That is a brilliant idea.

Posted by: dogboy | September 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse