D.C. United News & Notes

wicksinjury.JPG
*DCU goalkeeper Josh Wicks, his left arm in a sling and his right knee in a padded brace contraption, watched his teammates train this morning at RFK Stadium ahead of Wednesday night's Champions League match against San Juan Jabloteh. On Sunday, he initially thought he hurt his shoulder only. (Photo by Tony Quinn.)

However, "After the pain and the adrenaline wore down, the knee started bothering me and I called the trainer. A little bit of bad luck. I'm not going to Vegas anytime soon."

Wicks had been bothered by a shoulder problem this season -- but it was the other shoulder.

Has anyone commented on your new appearance?

"Yeah, they said I look like I was in a car wreck."

I asked goalkeepers coach Mark Simpson if he thought Wicks's multi-bandaged appearance was a good look: "If he's going out as an injured guy for Halloween, he's looking pretty good."

With Wicks out, Milos Kocic is the starter. Teenager Bill Hamid will be the back-up Wednesday -- he's eligible for Champions League games only -- and the club will add one of the five available MLS pool goalies soon. All train full-time with MLS clubs and are available to any team in case of hardship. They are Miguel Benitez (Los Angeles), Ben Dragavon (Seattle), Kevin Guppy (Los Angeles), Bryant Rueckner (Dallas) and Chris Sharpe (Colorado).

I will have much more about Kocic in Wednesday's print edition (available online this evening).

*Right back Bryan Namoff underwent further testing for his concussion. No other problems were discovered. However, he remains out indefinitely and must wait for symptoms to subside before resuming activity.

*Yellow card suspensions tomorrow: Dejan Jakovic and Avery John.
*Red card suspension: Jaime Moreno.

Your thoughts on DCU's starting lineup tomorrow?

*Former DCU prospect Bryan Arguez, now with Hertha Berlin's reserves, will start for the USA under-20s today against Cameroon (12:45 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Galavision).

On the women's front, the Washington Freedom waived D Emily Janss (three starts), MF Parissa Eyorokon (four appearances) and GK Kati Jo Spisak (three starts). The expansion Philadelphia Independence acquired USA national team forward Amy Rodriguez, the No. 1 overall pick in last winter's college draft, and the fifth overall pick this offseason from Boston for the No. 2 and No. 11 selections.

By Steve Goff  |  September 29, 2009; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , U-20 World Cup , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: USA U-20s Win, 4-1

Comments

ARod didn't show she was worth two picks last season.

Posted by: sitruc | September 29, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Can I play?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 29, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Third match in seven days, and the Last Stand for MLS '09 coming up Saturday. Tough call on the lineup.

Too bad Jakovic got himself suspended with a bonehead delay of game in his last 15-minute appearance. I hope he's fit to start Saturday at least.

I imagine we'll see something similar to the previous Jablome match. Kocic, James, Gomez, and Pontius through the middle, same back line as last Sunday, and "bubble" players just about everywhere else.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 29, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

true, but if you judge Amy on what she has done with the WNT she is worth whatever it takes to get her. if, for example, Freedom picked up Rapinoe and Kai, I'd buy season tickets that same day.

Posted by: troy6 | September 29, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Honestly - do we even care anymore this season?

Posted by: onlysoccer | September 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You're here, aren't you?

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

They should definitely pick Dragavon over Guppy from the backup keeper pool. Much fiercer sounding last name.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Hamid can play in a CCL game but not an MLS one is the height of stupidity on MLS' part.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Bryan Arguez starts, and he scores ... nice

Posted by: pateyler | September 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Bryan Arguez scores...

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow our youth system is in trouble!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | September 29, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

No! Guppy's awesome!! haha, even if his name doesn't sound too intimidating...

Posted by: Jmay18 | September 29, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I can play goal. I wasn't too bad between the pipes this weekend.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Mario Batali with a red card for Inter?

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

US up 2-0 now

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

All I could find on the league goalies. Miguel Benetez is backup for Chivas and LA. Ben Dragavon is Seattle's backup. Bryant Rueckner is down at Dallas and is a Bradenton grad. I could not find Kevin Guppy. Any relation to Steve? I also could not find Crhris Sharpe who is training with Colorado. Guppy is at LA too. How come no one trains with us???

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 29, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Get your Banana Yayas out...

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which was more audacious...Duka's long chip for the third goal or Larrionda's penalty call for Cameroon.

Posted by: EssEff | September 29, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

UVa's Ownby makes it 4-1.

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic not eligible to play? Sunday's personnel moves become more mysterious...

Posted by: teo_68 | September 29, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

fischy says to go with Guppy.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Ben Dragavon sounds like one of the Knights of the Round Table. He's probably full of courage and valor. Plus, I think I'd buy a Dragavon shirt at the gear sale, so let's go with him.

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | September 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Sign Dragavon...he's from my area(Seattle) is a really good kid, hard worker..and has been training a lot with Keller (who likes him) this season. Among the MLS goalies...who better to learn from?

Ben was the USL Sounders backup (Eylander was one of the best in the USL), was in camp with the MLS sounders..and has trained with them all season.

And yes...he's got the coolest sounding last name....

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | September 29, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about these pool keepers, but the fact that Dragavon is learning from Keller has to count for something, right?

As for the lineup to face San Juan Jabloteh, here's what I'd like to see:

-------------- Gomez - Pontius
Fred --- Szetela --- Jacobson --- Khumalo
Habarugira - James - McTavish - Vaughn
---------------------- Kocic

I maintain that we gain nothing defensively with Simms instead of McTavish playing alongside James. Thus, I'd give him a break ahead of what is essentially the beginning of the playoffs for us on the weekend.

In the midfield, I think Khumalo and Fred could pick up a lot of freekicks against San Juan's outside backs, who did not impress last time. I guess there's a risk of having both our outside midfielders being poor in the decision-making department, but I'd rather roll the dice here and be sure that Quaranta is at his most energetic against Chivas.

Up front, Gomez should be ready for a full 90, while I'd have Pontius lead the line. I think his movement and constant work will trouble San Juan more, and I'd hope to be able to bring him off at the hour mark for Emilio (if the game's still tight) or N'Silu/Shipalane/literally anyone (if the result is secure either way). Like it or not, Emilio is our best threat for goals, so we need him at his best against Chivas. Pontius doesn't seem to be too bothered by playing every 3 days, so I'd give him the bulk of the minutes and hope that we put the game away early.

What I expect to see:

------------- Khumalo - Pontius
--------------------- Gomez
Fred -------------------------------------- Szetela
-------------------- Jacobson
Habarugira - James - Simms - Vaughn
---------------------- Kocic

Simms will get another 90 minutes on his legs without doing any better at CB than McTavish would have, Szetela will be wasted on the wing again, and Gomez will look somewhat lost in the 442 having to play midfield. The game will be far more complicated than it should be, and frustration will reign(king).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 29, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Mario Batali with a red card for Inter?

Posted by: Reignking | September 29, 2009 1:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

Much deserved. That guy's recipes are WAY too complicated. A cooking show for people who want to watch a guy cook things they'll never attempt...ever. About time he got a red card.

That Balotelli guy? I'm glad I dropped him from my fantasy side, but a tough day all around. Should have dropped my Liverpool guys -- knew they were going to lose.

Posted by: fischy | September 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Fischy does not say go with Guppy -- unless he's related to the great Steve Guppy. Keep it in the family, if you can...

Posted by: fischy | September 29, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Too bad we can't get Andrew Dykstra from Chicago as a back-up keeper -- a local product who played on DC United youth team

Posted by: fentysupporter | September 29, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why MLS red has to do with Champions League matches. Is this one of those MLS dumb rules?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | September 29, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | September 29, 2009 11:07 PM |
--------------------------------------------------------

MLS reds have nothing to do with CCL matches. Moreno got a red against Marathon last week. John and Jakovic got yellows. So, who you calling dumb?

Posted by: fischy | September 30, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse