D.C. United Warm-Up

After D.C. United's training session Saturday morning at RFK, I asked Coach Tom Soehn if he planned to follow the six matches that evening, all of which had a bearing on the muddled MLS playoff race.

He laughed and said, "I tell the players not to [watch other games], but I do. Other results affect your status, but I've constantly told our guys, 'All we need to focus on is ourselves and if we take care of business, we will be fine.' "

For the most part, Soehn liked what he saw last night. Teams in the playoff hunt are hoping other contenders lose to lesser opponents and tie when they play each other. The reason: Three points are at stake, and if two contending teams end up with a one apiece, that means one point was left unclaimed. On Saturday, fading Real Salt Lake lost to Dallas. Toronto and Chicago tied. Beckham-less Los Angeles lost at Columbus, which has the Supporters' Shield in sight. Chivas settled for a tie with lowly New York. Colorado and barely breathing Kansas City tied. New England and Seattle seemed headed for a draw too, until Shalie Joseph's 87th-minute header. (Standings here.)

All of which leaves United in a promising position today (3 p.m., Telefutura, The Comcast Network). A victory would tie D.C. with Colorado for the top wild-card spot and pull the club within two points of Chicago for an automatic berth. A tie at home to a last-place team would feel like a loss. And a loss would simply be devastating.

Although Thursday's 3-0 victory over Marathon was a confidence-booster, Soehn said that "we're realistic to know that it doesn't start feeling good until you string a few together, and we know we still have to do that."

Added Ben Olsen: "That team [Marathon] had a lot going against it and, if we think we are a great team after that game, we are kidding ourselves. San Jose is going to be a much better team. It's going to be a tough one. There's no easy game in this league. That's what [MLS] is built for."

What's that supposed to mean, Ben?

"You know what I mean!"

Do explain.....

"It's set up so every game is a battle. We don't have any [Lionel] Messis in this league and, with the salary cap as low as it is, every game is a battle. I don't think it's good, but that's me."

Soooo, what's the status of negotiations with the league suits concerning the collective bargaining agreement, which expires after this season?

"The CBA stuff is ongoing," said Olsen, who has been actively involved in players' issues. "There has been dialogue with the league. We haven't gone that deep into it right now. I don't think we are far enough along to judge it so far."

Okay, back to the match. Read my story about Luciano Emilio. Check the RFK forecast from the Capital Weather Gang. Find the channel on your cable system to watch the game on The Comcast Network.

By Steve Goff  |  September 27, 2009; 9:58 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: Matchday #27: United-Earthquakes

Comments

1st post. Yeah!

3 pts a must or stick a fork in us.

Vamos!

Posted by: RetiredShark | September 27, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Benny on the league structure.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | September 27, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

""Colorado and barely breathing Kansas City tied.""

KC hit the post twice in the last 15 minutes, too.

I'm a bit anxious that our last game is away at KC. They certainly didn't look like a team that was rolling over. And to think we have to go play on that field one more time is annoying. But, if we wrap up 9 points in the next 3, we should be fine going to KC.

Posted by: delantero | September 27, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Find the channel on your cable system to watch the game on The Comcast Network.

-----------------------------------------

Or, better yet, go tot he game if you can.

Posted by: Curious99 | September 27, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what the channel is on Direct TV????

Posted by: jofij | September 27, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'd imagine you won't be getting TCN on direct tv, since it is the COMCAST network.

Hopefully the falcons will have put that game away by 3 so I can focus attentions on the DCU game

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 27, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

7th!!! WOOOO IM SO AWESOME!!!!!!

jofj, comcast is 642 on direcTV and telefutura is in the 400s, i believe.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 27, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't able to go to the game because of a family issue so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to watch the game live. I have comcast cable if that helps. thanks

Posted by: SaintIker | September 27, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Up in East Lansing, MI, Christine Nairn just unleashed one for the highlight reels.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Following up on yesterday's discussion of the U20 tournament, does anyone know whether Wrongen looked at Zac MacMath? (If he didn't, I suppose that Terps fans are grateful.) I recall that ZM started in goal at the most recent U17 world champtionship tournament.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 27, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Make that "championship."

Posted by: universityandpark | September 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Comcast Sportnet is showing the match on delay at 5:30...right?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

OH, almost forgot:

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 27, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

SaintIker, if you have Comcast basic cable or box cable you can watch live on Telefutura. It's channel 15( I think) here in Arlington. It might be 14.

I thought this game was supposed to end up on another channel too though...Comcast Plus?

I wish I could be there today. I'm sure the parking lot is a muddy mess but the weather sure has taken a beautiful turn this afternoon.

Vamos United!