Friday Kickaround

*We still love RFK, but watch your step. Dan Steinberg's SportsBog has the "hole" story.

*Germany won its fifth consecutive European Women's Championship with a 6-2 romp over England in Helsinki. Now if only WPS could sign some of those Germans.....

*The indomitable Diego Maradona: "We will be in South Africa for the World Cup, and when we qualify, all those hacks [who are criticizing me now] will want an interview, and I'll go in studs up."

*Maryland and Virginia open their ACC schedules tonight with the 10th-ranked Terrapins (1-1) hosting Boston College (1-2) at 8 p.m. at Ludwig Field and the No. 21 Cavaliers (2-0) welcoming No. 20 Duke (3-0) at 8 p.m. at Klockner Stadium.

By Steve Goff  |  September 11, 2009; 8:59 AM ET
Categories:  Argentina , College Soccer , D.C. United , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USSF Opinion on Dallas Red Card
Next: USA-Honduras TV?

Comments

So why didn't any Germans join the WPS? I read some where on some blog that they had boycotted the league but with no source. Although this could be true, anyone can write anything nowadays.

Posted by: dkwatts86 | September 11, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Germans have their own well-paying league

Posted by: Steve Goff | September 11, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

* Maradona, always a class act. Can't decide whether it would be more enjoyable for them to miss out or to qualify and get a epic butt-whupping.

* We won't see any of the Fraulein in WPS until after the WWC. The Brits and Frogs were terrific though. Maybe we'll see more of them.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 11, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve. With the Swedes in a similar position with a good league and some of them still choosing to play in the WPS I thought it was odd not one German decided to.

Posted by: dkwatts86 | September 11, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, Guille Franco to West Ham...

Posted by: Reignking | September 11, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

My understanding is that the German federation wanted them all to stay until at least after the 2011 World Cup. Can't recall source for that however.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 11, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF as I read often but seldom post here (trying to change that), I don't mean to be disrespectful in pointing out your mistake, but believe it is Frauen not Fraulein.

Posted by: dkwatts86 | September 11, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Good reason to cheer against CR and Portugal:

Portugal may have given themselves a chance of qualifying for South Africa 2010 this week but the world's greatest football tournament could still be robbed of the skills and tears of Cristiano Ronaldo, the world's greatest player, and Real Madrid will certainly feel the impact in their coffers.

Spanish daily Sport reports that Real president Florentino Perez was banking on Ronaldo's appearance in the finals to boost shirt sales and rake in the revenue that was budgeted to come from his record-breaking £80m arrival in the summer.

Posted by: Reignking | September 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

You are correct. Die besten Frauen der Welt. Pity we can't see them here.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 11, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Even though I was born in Germany and spent most of my last Summer in Austria and Southern Bavaria, I have yet to see any of them play.

Posted by: dkwatts86 | September 11, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I've said it before and will again: implode RFK, play at Byrd (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/10/AR2009091003834.html) or Navy-MC for 1-2 seasons, then open the new Kennedy/ANG Memorial Stadium on East Capitol St.

Win, win, win.

Yeagh!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 11, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Woops, I forgot, tell DCSEC that "implosion" means "all-hands staff meeting". Win again.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Source for the Maradona quote?

Posted by: Springfie1d | September 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Maradona quote, not sure if it's the same source the Goff got it from:

Posted by: addick | September 11, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Gnarly dude.
I sure hope the US can avoid playing Argentina in that playoff, but it'd sure make for so high drama. Chicken skin.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 11, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff any chance you might be able to get your sources in the Freedom organization to tell you which unprotected players are free agents this year? The expansion draft is right around the corner and free agents aren't eligible to be picked even if they are unprotected. Just wondering!

Posted by: soccerfan80 | September 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

well, their form lately indicates that they probably will not be there, but if they are those hacks better watch out!

Posted by: dfunkt | September 11, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The Brits and Frogs were terrific though. Maybe we'll see more of them.
Posted by: OWNTF
================

I think you meant to write "Limeys and Frogs."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 11, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

From a comment over on the Bog I can see that our frequent dusting with TrollAway has been successful; maybe Steve can lend a can of it to Dan.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | September 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Maradona is pretty good with his hands too.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 11, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Second Joe Doc's opinion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 11, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Maradona: Great player, big jack@##.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 11, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

zzz

Lots of minor leagues playing today...Kamani Hill maybe for Guimaraes?

Posted by: Reignking | September 11, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Second Joe Doc's opinion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 11, 2009 11:57 AM
======================

Your intelligence and common sense continues to inspire me, I-270.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 11, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I would second that opinion too, but that would be arrogant and presumptuous.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 11, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Irregardless...

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 11, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of our luvable crap hole of a stadium - it was always among the best fields in MLS, nowdays it looks more like a cow pasture. I don't mean just the fading football lines - the grass looks like crap and seems to be getting worse. Did DCSEC cancel the ChemLawn contract or something?

Posted by: soccerman | September 11, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for Diego, Argentina has been entirely too domitable lately. That's a word, right? Like juvenated? Things are so bunched up in CONMEBOL that anything can happen, even with an easy game against Peru.

@OWNTF
I posted a link in a thread a few weeks ago that referenced that the German women were staying home in advance if the 2011 WWC. Would have to search to dig it out.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 11, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It must be Friday so that means, Sign a New Defender Day!!!

DCU signed former Chivas USA defender Lawson Vaughn and put Janicki on the disabled list for back spasms, irregardlesslyible.

Posted by: addick | September 11, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The condition of the field is horrible, not what I'd expect considering they actually re-sodded the entire field in the last year.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 11, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

From Soccer America, I learned of this article that was published in connection with yesterday's women's Euro final:

I also learned from SA that Ricardo Clark is of Trinidadian heritage, which is interesting.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Clark made the right choice, assuming it was ever a choice for him.

Quavas Kirk is also of T&T heritage. I wonder if they'll give him a look. He was on a US youth team, but not likely to see a call up even to senior camp. Under current FIFA rules, he may switch allegiances at any time prior to AARP eligibility.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 11, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Shamelessly copied from Steinbog, with apologies to the author:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: One vast and crumbling concrete bowl
Stands on a river. Near it on the asphalt,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is RFK, Stadium of Stadia:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The muddy Anacostia wends away.

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 10, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse