Friday Kickaround

*USA defender Jay DeMerit injured himself removing a contact lens. Yup.

*Beware of fake World Cup tickets.

*A huge match in College Park tonight as last year's NCAA finalists, Maryland and North Carolina, meet in an ACC showdown (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel). Get the basics here. D.C. United's Rodney Wallace and Marc Burch, former Terps, are scheduled to appear at Ludwig Field and sign autographs. If you are planning to attend, get there early -- it's a small facility that fills quickly.

*The lower-seeded home teams won the first legs in the USL-1 playoffs as (6) Rochester defeated (3) Puerto Rico, (7) Vancouver edged (2) Carolina, and (5) Montreal downed (4) Charleston. The finales are Sunday. Top-seeded Portland has a bye to the semifinals.

*Women's soccer: No. 9 Maryland (8-1) suffered its first loss, 2-1 at No. 6 Florida State, while George Mason (8-2) dropped a 2-1 decision to James Madison, and No. 14 Virginia, despite a 21-4 advantage in shots, fell to North Carolina State, 2-1.

*Blatant handball counts as a goal in Brazilian second-division match between Parana and Ceara, chaos ensues:

By Steve Goff  |  September 25, 2009; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil , College Soccer , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Terps, USA TV, Beckham, MLS

Comments

I have never heard Brazilian announcers be so calm...especially since this was a case that would make a Swiss banker scream.

Go Terps!

Posted by: troy6 | September 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Those refs jerseys look strange. Was that a lineswoman?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 25, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Eye can see what went wrong with DeMerit... but it's still pretty cornea.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 25, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I actually did the same thing as DeMerit two weeks ago, and I'm still putting steroids into my eye to heal up. I wonder if DeMerit's gonna be able to use the same meds, or if it's a PED? EyeStrong, DeMerit. EyeStrong.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | September 25, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know DeMerit and Watford were playing a team from France.

Posted by: Reignking | September 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: BTW thanks for the book suggestions. Inherent Vice sounds right up my alley.;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"Blatant handball counts as a goal in Brazilian second-division match between Parana and Ceara, chaos ensues"

Not as good as mine.

- Diego

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 25, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Troy 6: the announcers were from a highlight show or sports show, NOT the game announcers.

I believe I heard the announcers say, "Correctamente anulado" which means, "correctly nullified". Plus the linesman had her (?) flag up. I think the goal didn't count.

Cheaters like that, though, should be fed to the lions gladiator style.

Posted by: uclacarlos | September 25, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Joga Bonito!

Posted by: OWNTF | September 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

If you're not cheating, you're not trying, I guess...

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | September 25, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I've got my World Cup tickets. I got an email the other day from Nigeria...

Posted by: Reignking | September 25, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I hope some of you can make it out to the MD-NC match tonight. Goff was correct in that it sells out fast. The capacity crowd of 7,000 will make the place rock and you will see some future MLS faces on both sides of the ball. Re-entry is allowed so you can "refresh" yourself at your car at halftime. This may be the premier college soccer game of the year. It is a rematch of the national championship from last year which my Terps won. VAMOS TERPS!!

Posted by: terptilldeath | September 25, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Signboard behind the goal @ that Brazilian match:

FATAL SURF

That's a product or service I want to know more about...

Posted by: 22206no1 | September 25, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The linesman's flag was up for some reason. It would be nice to know if this goal counted or not. Looked like someone must have taken a shot at the offender's face. The reaction might have been overdone, but there has to be a place for sportsmanship. I know this sounds quaint and naive in professional sports, but this was bad sportsmanship -- not just act of cheating but allowing the goal to stand (if it did) when you know you cheated that way....appalling. Feeding him to the lions seems appropriate.

Posted by: fischy | September 25, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

As for DeMerit -- this is no laughing matter. I've gone down that road. There's no guarantee this will clear up for him, even with surgery. Obviously, I hope it does, but if it does not, then he is done as a professional player.

Posted by: fischy | September 25, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

This is all DeMerit needs to do, follow the advice of Jennifer Love Hewitt . . .

"I fall asleep feeling beautiful," she says. "Then, in the morning, before I leave the house, I say five things I love about myself, like, 'You have really pretty eyes.' That way I can go out into the world with that little bit of extra confidence. It's a feel-good protein shake in my back pocket in case someone messes with me that day."

Posted by: delantero | September 25, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Toenails for Jozy. Self-inflicted corneal abrasions for Jay. Who's next?!

Posted by: delantero | September 25, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say beautiful?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 25, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

As someone who has been wearing a prosthetic eye most of my life, I sincerely sympatize with DeMerit. I have gone through similar problems on numerous occasions and it's not fun. Get well Jay!

Posted by: croftonpost | September 25, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uclacarlos
--------------------------
well, yeah, but I've been surrounded by Brazilians for the last three years and they normally order coffee with more emotion than that.

Posted by: troy6 | September 25, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"Did someone say beautiful?"

I like to see Emilio singing. Cuz if he's singing it's usually because he's scoring goals . . .

hopefully we can steamroll last night's play into the remainder of the MLS season.

Posted by: delantero | September 25, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Could they possibly riot over a controversial call? I just don't get it.

As for Demerit... not good news at all.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | September 25, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Terrible news on the Demerit front, hope he's able to recover I liked him in the center back for the NATS

Posted by: MOCker | September 25, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The blurb I read regarding the handball goal said that the ref overruled the lineswoman and called it a goal. Hence the riot. If memory serves, the blurb said that the ref was subsequently suspended.

Posted by: glfrazier | September 25, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure those aren't CONCACAF referees?

Posted by: soccerglue | September 25, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This quote from an article on Washington Post.com about the real estate market:

"As the lunch crowd took their seats, the O'Jays' classic "For the Love of Money" boomed from speakers. Then the Trump University instructor, Stephen Goff, power-suited up, bellowed his introduction: "All right, you guys ready to be the next Trump real estate millionaire? Yes or No!?"

Soccer Insider has two jobs, huh? I knew it!

Posted by: WorldCup | September 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

He may be moonlighting, but I suspect this afternoon's silence means he's covering the Maryland. game. And, on Shabbath, no less...A shonde.

Posted by: fischy | September 25, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for DeMerit but the team will be fine. CB isn't a weak spot and as a matter of fact one of our strengths along with GK & holding MF. Gooch & Boca will likely start with Marshall (if healthy) and Goodson sure bets to be called with Conrad, Parkhurst & Califf available if needed.
But on a personal note we should say a prayer for Jay's complete recovery.

Posted by: euroman | September 25, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Those guys were evaluating the play in a the daily sport TV show. They are not announcers.

The lines woman called for the hand ball but the main referee decided to overule her and counted it. The final score stood at 1x0.

The referee has now been suspended for 3 months.

Posted by: JP-10 | September 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse