Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

SUNDAY
Mexico, Toluca-Morelia 1 p.m. Telemundo
Brazil, Cruzeiro-Sao Paulo 3 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, Puebla-Chivas 5 p.m. ESPN Deportes

By Steve Goff  |  September 4, 2009; 12:12 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Statement on Wicks - UPDATED
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

ESPN Classic, really? Yay international soccer not in hd.

Posted by: AshburnUnited | September 4, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

i would seriously consider ordering the Argentina-Brazil collision on PPV if it weren't up against US-ES. might have to crank up the internet feed for that one and keep it on in the background. ESPN Deportes is getting some of the worst CONMEBOL games: Paraguay v. Bolivia and then Venezuela v. Peru on Wednesday? meh. (other Wed. games include Paraguay-Argentina and Brazil-Chile).

i won't be able to see any of the good UEFA games either, unless it's online.

Costa Rica-Mexico is a must watch, esp. if the mood is high from a US victory. they better freaking win.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 4, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

and that Bahrain-Saudi Arabia game should be fun. i can't believe that's a live broadcast, but the game really does start at 10pm local time. anyone know why they would start so late? for TV? because of Ramadan? to keep the women out?

Wednesday's return match in Riyadh has a 10:15 start time as well. none of the games in previous rounds for any Asian team started after 9:00.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | September 4, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Saturday is a great sports day for me. I plan on watching a little of everything as I flip back and forth between football and futbol.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 4, 2009 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it possible that the Bahrain-Saudi Arabia match is being played late at night simply because of the heat? It is still summer...

Posted by: ricky_b | September 4, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Saturday is a horrible sports day for me. VT-Alabama(college football), Dallas-DC, and US-El Salvador are all at the same time. All of the broadcasts are bound to have spoilers so I'll have to watch all three at the same time. I'm emotionally attached to all three. I'm going to torture myself trying to focus on them simultaneously.

Posted by: sitruc | September 4, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

I hate to do this, and I know there's another thread for it, but I feel like those have gotten too long and most have devolved to the point that coherent discussion is not an option. If I'm out of place, just ignore me or tell me off.

Quaranta's statements were right on. DC plays a unique style for MLS. Even Chivas and RSL, who are often mentioned as playing similarly, lean more towards athleticism, direct play, and (especially with Chivas) physical play as a core part of their approach to the game. For us to play this style, we have to be the best attacking team in the league, by quite a bit. We can't do that, because we lack physical speed to go with our talent and speed of thought. There's a reason you see so many fast idiots playing roles in MLS, but hardly ever see the gifted and slow. MLS defenses are too physically gifted. Slow players can fool them, but they'll recover before anything happens. You can have one or two, but we often field four. The road map to playing us is clear.

In Chicago everyone seemed more aware of where to be and apply themselves. You can be the most zealous worker on a team, but if you don't know where to go you're toiling away at nothing. In the 442, our players knew where to go defensively, even if offensively we were pretty devoid of ideas (and, going back to what I said before, speed). In the 3412, we have ideas, but can't pull them off, while also having a high-wire act going on in the back. It's just too much to ask of this group of players.

We have to face the fact that, even being better at passing than the rest of MLS, we're not so much better that we can win games on that alone. We won in Chicago by fighting. We will make the playoffs if we go out and fight. Instead of our possession percentage topping 60% (why MLS never measures that, I'll never know), I want to see us with a big gap of won tackles. We have the fighters for it: Olsen, Wallace, Quaranta, Pontius, Simms, Namoff, Jakovic, Burch...that's a team of warriors. That's a team that people hate to play. Give them a keeper and a couple of our matchwinners (and yes, Emilio used properly counts in this group with Moreno and Gomez), and we have an extremely dangerous team.

We're playing at the wrong speed. Our artists need to make use of the physical gifts of the young guns, rather than the young guns trying to play jogo bonito. The only guy we have capable of playing that way while also being athletic is Quaranta; you need a whole squad of guys to pull it off. Arena's DCU was Etcheverry, Moreno, and a squad of guys basically functioning as a stage for them to perform. Even Harkes was, for us, a cog in the system. Everyone had to do their job, and the geniuses would make them look like world beaters.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 4, 2009 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Ok, last one before I resume attempting to sleep:

For the rest of the season, I want to see a back four of Namoff, Jakovic, James, and Burch. In CCL games, if they're struggling with a knock, maybe you rest Namoff or Burch (but not both at once). Of course, Jakovic is out due to yellows in Dallas, so in that case I'd say play Burch in the middle with James and Wallace at left back. John is too wasteful in possession to start that game, especially if we'd already be focusing more energy on battling than passing. I don't want the team to devolve into typical NCAA soccer.

In the midfield, you start Quaranta and Wallace on the right and left respectively with Simms as the defensive midfielder. Depending on the game (home/away, and/or the opponent is more likely to attack well than we are), you either go with Gomez and a diamond or start Olsen and play a flatter four. With my suggestion to move Wallace to left back for the weekend, maybe we use Quaranta on the left and Szetela (who finally made the bench, so maybe he's out of the doghouse) on the right. If Szetela only made the bench because of the foreign player limit and cup-tied players, then Fred comes in and we hope he gives us what he gave in Chicago.

Up front, Pontius should be the sure starter with Moreno, Emilio, and Gomez cycling minutes. We need speed up front, and Pontius is our best option. Emilio could partner him if we're using Gomez or Moreno underneath; otherwise, he's a supersub due to our need for speed. Szetela's possible return means that maybe we can use him in midfield and bring Quaranta forward when needed.

The point is that we can still have success this year if we focus on our players that are more capable of consistently solid showings and not on the guys that are either inspired or absent. We need to use them, to be sure, but not all at once.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 4, 2009 4:32 AM | Report abuse

sitruc,

If you don't have PIP then set up a redneck PIP and stack your sets. :)

chest,

Eloquent as always. I never focused on United playing as fighters. It is a very interesting idea and worth a try. However, I doubt they will as United's way of playing IMO starts with KP and is too entrenched in their identity for such a personality change.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 4, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Chest, we accept your apology. We were getting worried you weren't around.

Posted by: Reignking | September 4, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Good comments, Chest.

Everyone seems really down on the team after the loss to Seattle in the Open Cup but to me that was just a "one off" with no more meaning than the "one off" in which we beat Charleston a year ago. Yes, it would have been nice to win but the Open Cup is not important enough by itself to deem a season either a success or failure.

The next week will be crucial for DC's season with 3 MLS games in 8 days. At Dallas, home to KC midweek, and then Seattle again at RFK a week from tomorrow.

We could be sitting pretty in the playoff race or virtually eliminated depending on how results go. I'm fairly optimistic but no one who watches this team can be too confident about it's ability to win consistently.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 4, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Do you mean to tell me that Mexico is still playing league games during an international window!!?!?!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | September 4, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

There you are, Chest. Glad you're back.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to get over the Open Cup loss. DCU needs to crush Dallas this weekend though, or I'll be back in the funk.

It looks like I'll be watching the US/ES match and maybe flippin back and forth to the DCU game. Then either watching the DCU replay at 11pm on comcast. They'll also be replaying the game at 4pm on Sunday.

Also, on tonight on comcast after the replay of Arsenal/Celtic they'll be showing something called UEFA Champions League Magazine Show... Has anyone seen this yet? Maybe on FSN somewhere?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 4, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Magazine show on ComcastSportsnet @ 930pm.
DCU/Dallas Replay at 11pm on Saturday and 4pm Sunday.
No need for the redneck PIP..;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | September 4, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Rockwell, I really wish you'd go turn in your application for head coach of DCU. Or someone needs to forward your posts to Tommy. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 4, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any suggestions for soccer-friendly watering holes where one might watch Saturday's USA-El Salvador match (and the DCU game as well, I guess) in the Frederick/Hagerstown/Harrisburg triangle? I have located the FSC pub guide online, but I could always use additional recommendations. Thanks.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 4, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

So how do you watch the Argentina/Brazil game?! That's the most important one...

I saw something about PPV, but I can't pull it up on FIOS.

What,Who,Where?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

So what's the over-under on Saturday's Pizza the Hutt Park attendance for the Dallas game, particularly since a WCQ is being played at the same time?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 4, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

For some reason, I can't watch others' WCQ. I don't care what the matchup is.

I'll watch the USMNT, and plenty of college football.

Posted by: Reignking | September 4, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Also am interested in how to watch argentina-brazil via internet or other means.

Posted by: gregegeg | September 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Juan-John - I'd put it at 9K. They've been up and down in attendance all season.

Posted by: soccerman | September 4, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Reignking, if you don't watch Turkey-Estonia, you are a hater.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I am bummed none of the UEFA qualies are on in the morning here...A morning of soccer, afternoon of college football, evening of both would have great.

Unfortunately kids soccer will have me out of the house in the afternoon.

Posted by: taktip | September 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | September 4, 2009 11:34 AM
==============================

VirginiaBlueBlood's house. I hear he has a new HD tv.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

VirginiaBlueBlood's house. I hear he has a new HD tv.
Posted by: joedoc1 | September 4, 2009 1:32 PM
====================

Yeah, but he charges $12 for a cold hot dog and warm Bud Light and makes you stand in line for 45 minutes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

No Nihat, No Turkey.

I'm reading through the UEFA WCQs. They are awful. The best (most competitive or interesting) are Spain/Belgium and France/Romania.

I just saw that the MFL is playing this weekend? That's pathetic! What league doesn't take a break during FIFA international weekends!?!

Posted by: Reignking | September 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

croftonpost:

I think the kind of team and mentality I'm hoping for would hark back to the team under Nowak. Those teams fit Payne's preferred approach (which is pretty close to my ideal way of playing as well), but also made it hell for teams to play against us. There was a never-ending thirst for the ball, which meant that when we lost it everyone wanted nothing more than to take it back. The game in Chicago wasn't ideal because offensively we were fairly poor. However, in games where the pretty stuff isn't coming off, we can fight our way through it. In the 3412, for whatever reason, there is less fight in this team.

Reignking, 270:

In the post game chaos, there was just too much to say. That was then followed by a day away from computers.

Joel_M_Lane:

I agree with you, but a lot of people considered this our only real chance at doing anything. Let's face facts: United fans, unless we're on a winning streak, tend to assume the worst. The whole back and forth between the teams might be an even bigger factor, since Seattle fans trashed "us" (I put it in quotes because they mostly focused on our lower number of casual fans, and I don't think many of them are here).

I think there's also underlying frustration in watching the team play win-at-all-costs soccer in Chicago, then following it up with yet another game of lengthy possession with little danger. Schmid's team would have been much less comfortable with our approach in Chicago than they were with what we put out there.

DadRyan:

Can coaches drink on the sideline?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | September 4, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Argentina - Brazil on bootleg internet channel!

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | September 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I have a hard time believeing that no one is showing it here... I'll keep looking

Brazil/Arg... 8 pm sat night, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

In Frederick, there's Bushwaller's. I suggest calling ahead because they don't have a ton of TVs and might not have both games on.

Or come down to Arlington and watch both at Kitty O'Sheas with a bunch of fans.

Posted by: bspence11 | September 5, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

bspence11: Thanks! Arlington (which is where I live) is out of the question. I put out this query precisely because I will be spending Saturday night north of Frederick; indeed, north of the Mason-Dixon line. I will keep Bushwaller's in mind.

Posted by: universityandpark | September 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse