Early Tuesday Kickaround

*Rodrigo Kenton is out as coach of Costa Rica, which has lost three straight World Cup qualifiers by a combined 8-0. With games remaining at home against Trinidad and Tobago on Oct. 10 and at the USA at RFK four days later, the fourth-place Ticos need to win both to secure a top-three finish.

*Details for the USA-Costa Rica qualifier in Washington: 8 p.m. kickoff, live coverage on ESPN2 and Galavision. The other CONCACAF matches -- Mexico at T&T, Honduras at El Salvador -- are set to begin at the same time.

*The Red Bulls dump Salvadoran defender Alfredo Pacheco.

*The Atlanta Beat and Philadelphia Independence will begin building their rosters for entry into WPS next season with Tuesday's expansion draft, beginning at 1 p.m. Results are available at the league's Web site. Teams did not make their protected lists available, but the Insider learned a few weeks ago who the Freedom will retain at the start of the draft.

*The USL-1 playoff field is set: Portland, Carolina, Puerto Rico, Charleston, Montreal, Rochester and Vancover. First-place Portland will have a bye, while the other seedings and matchups will be determined by this week's games.

*The Maryland men's team, ranked No. 10 by Soccer America with a 2-1 record, hosts Duquesne (2-2-1) tonight at 7:30. Virginia (2-1) welcomes Mount St. Mary's (1-3) at 7 in Charlottesville.

*For a look at Tuesday's big TV schedule.....

Euro Champions League, Marseille-AC Milan 2:30 p.m. FSC
Euro Champions League, Zurich-Real Madrid 2:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Euro Champions League, Besiktas-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. Comcast/DC
Euro Champions League, Chelsea-Porto 2:30 p.m. Setanta
Euro Champions League, Chelsea-Porto 5 p.m. (delay) FSC
Euro Champions League, Zurich-Real Madrid 5 p.m. (delay) Setanta
Copa Sudamericana, San Lorenzo-Tigre 7:30 p.m. FSE
CONCACAF Champions League, San Juan Jabloteh-DCU 8 p.m. FSC
Euro Champions League, Besiktas-Manchester United 10 p.m. (delay) FSC

By Steve Goff  |  September 15, 2009; 1:20 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , CONCACAF Champions League , College Soccer , Costa Rica , Freedom , MLS , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United's Travel Roster
Next: Adebayor Faces Discipline

Comments

First goodnight?
Costa Rica is under the gun at RFK. Gotta get a ticket who's still without one?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 15, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Me

Are there still tickets available on the good side? At the Honduran match we were on the far right of the quiet side. Luckily under the upper bowl so as to not get pelted by the honduran scum.

Posted by: AshburnUnited | September 15, 2009 2:58 AM | Report abuse

Also goff you forgot

Euro Champions League, Esiktas vs. Manchester United 2:30 pm CCSN

In HD

With pre-game even!

Posted by: AshburnUnited | September 15, 2009 3:01 AM | Report abuse

someone want to inivte the blogmaster to get in on a little CL fantasy? i'd like to see how i match up against the football zenmaster himself..

i'm calling zurich in a massive upset, haha

Posted by: rademaar | September 15, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

amazes me that Goff continues to ignore/forget the fact that CL is on the local sports channel.

Posted by: crocken | September 15, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Chest, is your phone ringing?

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 15, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

If you have DirecTV, channels 462-466 will show live CL matches, free of charge. Whatever match that is not being broadcast by FOX or Setanta will be shown there.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | September 15, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I need to find out if I get FSE.

I'm not sure how I feel about this Kenton thing. I'd like to thing that it's too late for the change to have any real effect, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

We've got the BEAT! (?)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 15, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Ticos firing Rodrigo: They are rolling the dice on that one. A coaching change with two games left to play is always a risky move.

Red Bull dumping Pacheco: There's a lot more guys that they need to dump...

WPS: Yeah! For those of us who support both United and the Freedom, how sick would it be to be able to make the day trip up to Philly to see a doubleheader like our clubs did when they faced the Chicago clubs this summer at RFK???

USL: Vamos Islanders! General Clarke will have an even trickier job juggling his lineup. If Puerto Rico doesn't get a win tonight against Cruz Azul then the evaluation of who gets played and who doesn't could actually make the player selection ascpect a bit easier.

Hopefully there is another Bayamon miracle in the works tonight for Islanders. We need one about right now.

DC United doesn't need a miracle. We just need for them to get it done. Otherwise, you can pretty much bank on a repeat of last year and it will be reserves for the CL play from here on out--but that really isn't news to anyone...

Posted by: yankiboy | September 15, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Unrelated to anything except TV, I saw a bit of Fox Footy Fone In with Eric Wynalda. A few things came to mind:
1. I've never seen Wynalda so inarticulate. As a color commentator and studio analyst, he always had something intelligible to say, whether you agreed with it or not. On FFFI he struggles for words.
2. There's not much "chemistry" between Wynalda and Webster. Wynalda seems to enjoy teasing Webster, but that's not really "chemistry."
3. On any controversy, Wynalda defends the player. Whether the topic was Adebayor or Dempsey, Wynalda doesn't have harsh words for the player. This was unlike his opinions in his previous jobs.
4. Finally, I know that Eurosport is a sponsor, but would they please stop wearing replicas? Webster just looks like an Englishman going to a match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 15, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

There is an art to talking extemporaneously on radio or TV and Wynalda doesn't have it. He tends to talk himself into a cul de sac that lacks a point, which is, as you know, good for the listener.

Steven Cohen had the ability to fill air time, even if he was often a muppet.

I just like Nick Webster, so he gets a pass.

Posted by: JkR- | September 15, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy CL

League name: Argy Bargy Goff
Code to join this league: 130309-25331

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

FYI they just got the Predictor game up and running, too -- Match Predictor and Streak Predictor (that's new).

I've set up leagues with the same details.

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I didn't care much for Steve Cohen, but, because he served in the US Army (yes, our US Army), he gets to pass Go and collect $200 on my board.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 15, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Totally off Topic, but.....Interesting little article about the courier biz dying out. Reinforces me being cool with staying retired from the game. Mostly just stoked to see friends in the photos.
I know some of you suburban road ragers would love to weigh in, in the comments section...

Posted by: DadRyan | September 15, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay, Im in on the match predictor, much more my kind of thing

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | September 15, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

By the way I-270Exit 1: You're welcome! Hopefully Szetela can dig his way out of the doghouse tonight!

Posted by: dcarmy | September 15, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I keep juggling my midfield...wow, Christian Ledesma was a bad pick.

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

DC United should hire Rodrigo Kenton as our new head coach.

DC United should also sign Alfredo Pacheco.

DC United should build their roster for entry into WPS next season.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 15, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy CL

League name: Argy Bargy Goff
Code to join this league: 130309-25331

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 9:13 AM

Can't get through my Firewall. Booooooo :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | September 15, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

kve29: maybe you can set it up tonight and just pick teams that play tomorrow.

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

*Seems crazy to let Lori Lindsey slip away and protect Huffman who barely played. They must be really high on SH.

*Dad, the print Post had a different photo of that rider on the cover, which put me in mind of this old song - - -

She tortures taxi drivers just for fun
She like to read their lips
Says toro toro taxi see ya tomorrow my son
I swear she let a big truck graze her hip
She got her own world in the city
You can't intrude on her
She got her own world in the city
Cos the city's been so rude to her

Come slippin and slidin

Posted by: OWNTF | September 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if USA-Costa Rica tickets are available in advance at the RFK box office? I'm lookng to avoid Ticketmaster service fees. Thank you.

Posted by: guyfromjersey | September 15, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Is Direct TV showing the extra matches every matchday, or just today?

Posted by: teo_68 | September 15, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

@guyfromjersey:

US Soccer website says that the RFK box office will only be open on the day of the game. I wanted to avoid ticketmaster charges too, but didn't want to miss out on good seats, so I ate the fees. Not the tastiest meal I've ever had....

Posted by: BaltoFan | September 15, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

OT, but anyone notice the new look of WaPost.com? Now the toolbar has red buttons instead of blue. Why this was considered an improvement is anyone's guess, but mine is the .com era's belief that one must make random changes every few months just to avoid being seen as staid (like changing the lettering in "Washington Post" from calligraphy to Arial, to half-and-half, to back to calligraphy).

One little error in this iteration of pointless changes is that the old blue buttons had white lettering, which reversed if you selected it (white button with blue lettering). On this version, they forgot to reverse the lettering, so when you select it, the button turns white, but the lettering stays white, turning it into an empty space (like the profit line on the WashPo accounting ledger).

Please Goff, tell 'em that we welcome improvements, but random pointless changes are annoying.

I better go get some coffee...God help my staff today.

Posted by: troy6 | September 15, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

teo: Here you go...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/soccer?footernavtype=-1 (view schedule)

I need you back, DirecTV

Posted by: Kev29 | September 15, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

troy: that might be related to the lead advertiser on the front page

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, BaltoFan.

Posted by: guyfromjersey | September 15, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

FYI: I have added the Besiktas-Man U game on Comcast SportsNet/DC to the TV listings. Live coverage starts at 2:30.

Posted by: Steve Goff | September 15, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

My post.com page looks the same. Maybe you really need that coffee, or I get the "throwback edition."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 15, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

It's just the top banner on the home page. They've probably changed it to red to make it more noticeable for users - whom have probably submitted a lot of questions and complaints about navigation. Guessing it's the Post.com people's way of saying "all the sections are up here, dummy!"

Posted by: Kev29 | September 15, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@guyfromjersey - You could also try calling the DCU ticket office. They have a package where you get tickets to the Chivas game and WCQ (https://secure.dcunited.com/wcq-2pack?r=WS). I'm not sure if they're also able to sell tickets for just the WCQ match, but it might be worth a call.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 15, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to assume Inter-Barca is on tomorrow -- and not a simple default to choosing an EPL team.

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Kei Kamara is on the trading block and DC may be interested, according to Goff's twitter page.

So, how is Houston going to fleece DC this time? Szetela?

Posted by: hoyanick1 | September 15, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Senor McPoop, while I do not disregard your desires for a new coach now, personally, I don't see it being benificial to the team. Firstly, what candidate would there be for the new coach? Though, I will say that I think at the end of the season, especially if we don't make the playoffs, Tommy boy is gone.

Posted by: dogboy | September 15, 2009 10:46 AM
-------------

Snoop and/or Nate Dogboy, I, too, am in favor of keeping Bozo The Coach around until the end of the season (but not a day after). I was merely showing evidence of what a coaching change, mid-season, can do for a team and it's players.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 15, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

for tickets to the USA game call Oscar @ 5715943819 or email him at hozkar09@cox.net, this are barra brava seats if you are interested

Posted by: starvingstudent | September 15, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | September 15, 2009 11:32 AM

Inter-Barca will be on FSE. Not sure why it won't be on FSN, or why any game won't be on it tomorrow.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | September 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Can someone in the WaPo IT department remove the German sports sedan driving down the right side of the page? I am going to have a seizure reading these posts.

Posted by: IamAM | September 15, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDevil1 | September 15, 2009 12:14 PM

Only one live match per week on FSN. And everything will be spread around the participating networks - I think Setanta have first choice tomorrow and that's a no brainer for them. Watching on Comcast Sports Net is a treat, but they still want people subscribing to FSC/FSE/Setanta.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 15, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF - great song. Best album of all time IMHO.

Goff - what happened to your musical references? This season is frustrating, but don't let them steal your music, man (or steal your face right off your head).

Posted by: regularfan | September 15, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Heh heh - subject line of email just received from DCU customer service: "Champions League heating up".

Think we all know who is in the hot seat . .

Posted by: regularfan | September 15, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It used to be that United did the fleecing when it came to trades... Kaspar doesn't seem to have acquired that skill.

Kamara for Szetela would be a horrible mistake, so I expect to see it happen.

I midfield with Holden and Szetela would be quite potent.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 15, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Onyewu: notinthe18

Posted by: benonthehill | September 15, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm in: AC Bull City

Current Lineup:

------------Julio Caesar------------
Clichy---Lahm---------Alex---Arbeloa
Mikel Obi--Mascherano--Song----Tiago
--------Messi----------Torres-------

Subs: Ibrahimavic, Diarra (Bordeux), Bruno Alves

Other GK: Van der Sar. I know he's out for another 2 weeks, but felt he was worth picking up.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 15, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree. someone convinces someone else that you need to make pointless changes to somehow stay relevant. all this flash nonsense/red buttons, etc. usually just a waste of time.

it kind of scared me. i thought it was related to the terrorist threat level or something. is today an orange day or a burnt sienna day? whatevs...

Posted by: wordup1 | September 15, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm in for Matchday 2 -- took hours to get the registration through.

Bethesda United (Yeah, I know, it's lame)

Reina
Lahm Alves Maicon Puyol
Obi Mikel Denilson Gerrard Van Bommel
Messi Iaquinta

Subs: Foster, Evans, Rodriguez, Balotelli

Posted by: fischy | September 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

All games will be on FSC -- you just have to be patient to watch them later on....

Posted by: fischy | September 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

WHo's got Inzaghi?

Posted by: fischy | September 15, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Let me preface this with "I have no idea what I'm doing."

Lloris
Osorio-Cannavaro-Raul Bravo-Sagna
Xabi Alonso-Gerrard(C)-Lampard-Drenthe
Shevchenko-Fabiano

Bench: Helton-VanPersie-Essien-Antonio Lopez

Posted by: benonthehill | September 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Who's got Inzaghi?

That second AC Milan goal was incredible skills -- an amazing one-time outside of the foot pass from Seedorf pinpoint delivery in traffic, and a great play by Inzaghi to get the outside of his foot on the ball and direct it in for a goal. Would love to see players with that skill in MLS.

Posted by: fischy | September 15, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

My team is:

------------Buffon------------
-Glen Johnson--Dani Alves--Bruno Alves-
-Diego--Hleb--Seedorf--Sneijder--Angeli-
--------Pato--------Grafite-------

Bench:GK-Didulica, DF-Barmettler, DF-Gomes, FW-Little

As you can probably tell, I got into money problems toward the end and wasn't able to pick good bench players or a 5th midfielder.

Posted by: spikeman | September 15, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I just changed my line-up for gameweek 2:

------------Buffon------------
-Glen Johnson--Dani Alves--Bruno Alves-
-Diego--Hleb--Seedorf(c)--Mascherano--
--------Pato--Inzagi--Grafite-------

Bench:GK-Didulica, DF-Barmettler, DF- Avelino Teixeira , MF-Angeli

I like this line-up a lot better.

Posted by: spikeman | September 15, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse