Matchnight #24: United at FC Dallas

Hello all from Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Tex. It's my first trip out here to the Dallas area, I've DVR'd the U.S. qualifier, and I must say I'm impressed with the stadium and the quaint, cozy feel of the immediate surrounding area.

I dunno, it strikes me as a mix of a brief visit I made to downtown Oklahoma City and also with a modern Old Town/Clarendon type of neighborhood. A lot of open space, of course, and right off a highway, but overall I just get a good impression from the place.

I'm obviously not the travel writer Goff is, eh?

With news that Dejan Jakovic has headed off to Germany for likely sports hernia surgery, you have to wonder whether United again will look to the 3-5-2 formation that has plagued their defense and led to some rumblings in the locker room -- some public, some not.

I'll get the lineup to you as soon as I can, but right now I'm the lonely soul in the press box and I'm prone to wander around this area in search of some sustenance. There is a bar downstairs, though I wont be visiting there. (I do, however, have to give props to the stairs up to the press box -- and yes I opted for stairs over elevator, any exercise helps. The stairs, believe it or not, are basically sponsored by Maker's Mark with the logo plastered on each step. It's a beverage which, on occasion, may or may not be enjoyed by a soccer reporter who writes on this blog.

D.C. United (7-5-11, 32 pts) at FC Dallas (6-11-5, 23 pts)
Where: Pizza Hut Park. Frisco, Tex.
When: 8 PM
TV: Comcast Sportsnet
Radio: English- WZAA 1050 AM (pre-game show begins at 7:00 p.m.), Spanish - Radio America 1540 AM, Radio Continental 1390 AM and WLXE 1600 AM (pre-game show begins at 7:30 p.m.)

DCU Starting Lineup: Wicks; Namoff, Simms, James, Burch; McTavish, Olsen, Wallace, Fred; Quaranta, Pontius
Subs: Kocic, Gomez, Moreno, Emilio, John, Jacobson, Shipalane

Gomez, Emilio and Moreno all benched. What do you guys think?

As usual, this is your place for pregame, in-game and postgame banter.

By Paul Tenorio  |  September 5, 2009; 6:04 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WCQ Matchnight: USA-El Salvador
Next: USA Rewind

Comments

Vamos United!! Please 4-4-2, 4-4-2, 4-4-2!

Tenorio- you say you're the lonely sole. Isn't it soul? Hehe, enjoy the game!

Posted by: redskinsux | September 5, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins cut Chase Daniel today. I say we train him up to be an oustside midfielder--he has great speed and his throw-ins would be an instant weapon. He can't be any worse than Fred...

Posted by: dcarmy | September 5, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Pappy Van Winkles

Posted by: billq1 | September 5, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Both Paul and Steve are enjoying new soccer stadia. If they get job offers from the local papers, they may not come back to Estadio RFK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 5, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

HOW THE F*CK IS FRED STARTING??!!

Posted by: redskinsux | September 5, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Any one still think Soehn is a "professional" coach? Wicks still starts after Wednesday's antics and Szetela doesn't even make the bench. And then there's Fred. Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: dcarmy | September 5, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope Simms and MacTavish are swapped. Simms in a back 4 scares me.

Posted by: jason1551 | September 5, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Huh. So Simms is a cb now? And Szetela is still out to pasture? Hmm...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | September 5, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Goff in Sandy, UT, Tenorio in Frisco, TX, we got ourselves a game day BLOG OFF!

Posted by: delantero | September 5, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

""Maker's Mark with the logo plastered on each step. It's a beverage which, on occasion, may or may not be enjoyed by a soccer reporter who writes on this blog.""

Maker's!! Had some in my hand yesterday, instead I went with the handle of Jim Beam for $23!!.

We're in a recession, afterall.

Posted by: delantero | September 5, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

""Wicks still starts after Wednesday's antics and Szetela doesn't even make the bench. And then there's Fred. Wow. Just wow.""

Yeah. Some things I can't explain. Wicks starting is a bad mark on the organization.

And after Fred's 45 against Seattle, I just don't get it. I guess I'll be watching the U.S. and flipping over to DirectKick.

Vamos United!

Posted by: delantero | September 5, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcarmy | September 5, 2009 7:25 PM
__________________________________________________________

That is crazy. Wicks pretty much cost DC a title and still gets the start. What in the world could Szetela have done to warrant the life sentence in the dog house?

Posted by: HarkesyRules | September 5, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I could use a bottle of delicious Maker's Mark to get me through these next two hours.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

With this lineup, officially count me on the fire Soehn bandwagon. Of course, that probably means we win 3-0. Which would be fine, until we play like crap in the next 3.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 5, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

You don't need Maker's Mark to enjoy the US game.

Oh wait...

Posted by: Section117 | September 5, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Makers Mark rocks. I once owned the entire supply in southern Africa (I bought out the entire stock of the importer who was promoting it). But...cornering the African market in bourbon is like cornering the American market in Mosi beer.

Got USA on the screen and DCU in the little corner. Thank God for picture-in-picture.

Posted by: troy6 | September 5, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget! DCU-LA GAlaxy August 22!

Posted by: DCB23 | September 5, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Game's being shown here:

Can't wait to see how Bozo The Coaches new line-up works tonight. Fred's gotta have pictures of the coach with a goat and Sally Struthers, or something.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 5, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Why... why... why...

What the bleep is wrong with Tom Soehn that he keeps trying to shoehorn Wallace in as a defensive mid? Earlier in the season, I assumed he was just doing that b/c of Olsen's injuries and giving Wallace a chance to diversify his game. But this... I've got a news flash for you Tommy, WALLACE IS AN ENERGETIC, SKILLFUL WIDE PLAYER WHO DOESN'T HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO START IN A CENTRAL BALL-WINNING ROLE, THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE MCTAVISH ON THE BLEEPING ROSTER, YOU TWIT!

Also, Wicks, Szetala, Simms as a CB, as noted above.

The mind boggles.

Posted by: bselig | September 5, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, I saw that coming.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 5, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Simms in back, McT in the middle. Odd.

Manhattan, my drink of choice.

Posted by: Reignking | September 5, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

No, Simms in back, McT on the right, Wallace in the middle. Because playing these guys in their natural positions is a bad idea. Apparently.

Posted by: bselig | September 5, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

OK.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 5, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Soehn doesn't know what the hell he is doing. Playing a man up for 20+ mins we had a clear opportunity to take 3 points on the road. #1 Question in my head:
1.) Why didn't Gomez play? Why did Fred play at all, much less be the starter and play the WHOLE game??? Gomez deserves to be on the field, more so than Fred that is.

Side Note: CSN declared Burch the "superstar" of the match. Wayy off. Quaranta clearly earned man of the match!

Posted by: redskinsux | September 5, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Just finished US victory. What was final here?

Posted by: tfshea | September 5, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

2-2.
Goal 1= Burch: deflection off a free kick.
Goal 2= Jaime scores off a pk; Quaranta draws a pk AND the defender receives a red card.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 5, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a good result on the road for DC. New England lost, at home, to KC so we gained a point on them.

Julius James shoulda cost us 3 goals but luckily Salazar swallowed his whistle when JJ pushed Cunningham in the back near the end of the 1st half. I didn't really see the foul by Torres that earned him a red card and DC an equalizing PK. I'm not saying he didn't clip Tino (a minor touch on the heels can bring a running opponent down) but it wasn't as obvious to me as James' infraction.

I though Soehn shoulda yanked JJ with the early sub and moved McT back to central defense. Anyway, Soehn's habit of panicky 1st half subs reflects poorly on his lineup choices and confidence. Although the team did improve with Moreno's insertion.

I'm not as vehemently opposed to Soehn as some of the posters here. If everyone could exclude their favorite scapegoat from the lineup he'd have to start Chad Ashoton alongside Talon.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 5, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Is this game worth rewatching? I was crossing my fingers for the win... I'm picking up the fact that Tino had a pretty good second half, but shouldn't DCU have beat Dallas when they were a man down? Not to mention the camera work and field look like crap.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 5, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Ashoton is actually supposed to read "Ashton". Anyway, I'm fine with both Soehn and Ashton being dismissed but not til after the season.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 5, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Also that Marky Mark fella was way, way overrated!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 5, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think James bumping into Cunningham was a PK at all, not even close.

The biggest question was why we didn't have anyone rushing in at Sala with our free kicks before the goal! We should know that he's absolutely terrible by now! Sala can't catch a cold! McTavish nearly scored off a rebound, but if someone else was smart enough to run in, we could've had 2 goals before Burch scored. How Sala still has a job is amazing..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | September 5, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Mexico 1-Costa Rica 0 @ the half

Blanco, Franco, and Torrado are going to miss the next match against Honduras @ Azteca.

Honduras 3- T&T 0 @ the half

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 5, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"Is this game worth rewatching?"

No. Even at fast forward 1 on my DVR, and a United a man up, it looked like FC Dallas had the better of the 2nd half.

Yikes. We had some chances, but even up 11-10, we couldn't sustain pressure. Whoopee, Revs lost, and we couldn't beat a team going nowhere.

Posted by: delantero | September 5, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm grateful for a point, I'm not going to be greedy.

Posted by: addick | September 5, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I know the other day some folks were a little irritated with the "announced" FSC coverage of the next round of Champions League.
I looked at the schedule and once again on Tuesday the 15th ComcastSportsNet is going to be broadcasting a pregame show at 2pm followed by ManU/Besiktas LIVE and in HD @ 230pm.

Then on Wednesday the 16th they'll sort of throw folks a bone with a replay of Marseille/AC MIlan.

My first thought is that it's too bad they don't do a live broadcast two days in a row, my second thought is: HOw the hell did FSC get the broadcast rights for the tournament and they suck so bad at it?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 5, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

CSN also looks poised to show Liverpool/Debreceni live and in HD on the following Tuesday the 22nd.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 5, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

damnit Mex up 3-nil on Costa Rica. Mexico takes third for now in qualifying tied with Costa Rica with 12 on goal diff.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 5, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | September 6, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Watched a recording of the game. I was too bad that Dallas went down a man. DC was playing pretty well up to that point. After Dallas went down a man, they had mos of the best chances.

Posted by: fischy | September 6, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 |
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the update. We would never have known without it.

Posted by: fischy | September 6, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Looks like James is a poor substitute for Janicki, as they both seem to believe in the screen door defense!! Once again, Fred stinks up the mid-field with his three-touch antics. Emilio spent most of the game where he should have (watching) from the bench instead of on the field.
Why won't TS put McT on the back line after all, he has played more there than Simms??? Finally, what is with TS dressing like Tony Soprano?? Obviously, no one was intimidated !! Looking forward to 2010 !!

Posted by: therealfan | September 6, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Wicks with a shocker on the first Cunningham goal.

Should I come out? No, I'll stay. No I'll come out. Better yet, I'll come out soft and flail at the ball.

Maybe James should have gotten in his face.

For a big keeper, he played that like a granny.

Posted by: delantero | September 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think this game proved that ANY 4 man back line is better for us right now than a 3 man back line with the "right" personnel.

Oh, playing with one more guy helps. It's a point on the road, but that game should have been won.

Posted by: wordup1 | September 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wordup1 | September 6, 2009 12:27 PM
-----------------------

No kidding. And how many times has that been the case for us this year? Losing or tying a game we should've won.

Tommy's days are numbered.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks U&P. The result was too late for my edition of the paper, but the US-ES report made it in (?).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 6, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Wicks def needs help on his decision-making on those balls like the 1st goal....this is a trend now.
It is hard to teach but, I think with a defender right next to the ball Wicks needs to cut the angle and not totally give himself up. It has proved itself over and over for him. Simpson really needs to cut that mistake out or Wicks will continue to give up those unnecessary goals.

Posted by: marksman37 | September 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

No player rankings?

Posted by: redskinsux | September 6, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Player Rankings, I think Goff should consider giving the head coach a score.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 6, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

im sick and tired of these fred haters. they are blinded by their hate and have no idea what creativity in football provides. Sure he hasnt played his best since his kid had surgery. But he still has more ability to create,cross and give an go more than burch, mctavish,olsen,wallace. so until those players step up and show me something.fred is our best bet.

tell me what pontius has done lately? i havent heard a peep from anyone b... ing about him.

emilio doesnt score every game. its off with his head. pontius scores once every 9 games and he is a savior. doesnt make much sense to me.

the only thing really clear on this team is that burch is the biggest liability time and time again. i dont how many games he has to lose for us and probably if i look back at is responsible for wells departure from soccer forever.

Posted by: castroviejo | September 7, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse