Matchnight #25: United-Wizards

Greetings from RFK. The Wreck on the Banks of the Mighty Anacostia never looked so good. (Okay, not really.)

As you know, United will play five straight league matches at the friendly confines, and with heavy congestion in the middle of the league table, all of these RFK matches are going to be critical.

Factoid #1: United has yielded just eight goals in 10 league home matches (tied for third in home goals against average). Three goals came in a single match (Toronto) and the team has four shutouts here. But United has scored just 15 -- one of the lowest home totals in the league. Hence, the club's 5-0-5 mark.

Factoid #2, courtesy of TV play-by-play man Dave Johnson: DCU hasn't scored in the run of play in a league game since the Aug. 1 loss at Houston. Since then, it has been blanked twice, scored off a free kick at Chicago, off a free kick at Dallas and off a penalty at Dallas.

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET.
TV: Comcast SportsNet/DC, Direct Kick.

Lineup and subs soon.....

DCU: Wicks; Namoff, James, McTavish, Wallace; Pontius, Simms, Gomez, Quaranta; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, John, Olsen, Jacobson, Szetela, Shipalane, Fred.

Your contributions are appreciated.

By Steve Goff  |  September 9, 2009; 5:55 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WCQ Matchnight: USA at T&T
Next: USA/DCU Rewind

Comments

Vamos United!

Posted by: redskinsux | September 9, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Attendance prediction, anyone?

I'll go with 8,500 announced

Posted by: Kev29 | September 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff - About today's article, sorry, but "Irregardless" is not a word...

Go United!

Posted by: adamsmorgan | September 9, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I find myself perched in the charming town of Charlottesville, Va, for the evening. Where do I go to watch the two games side-by-side?

Posted by: daggar | September 9, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

We conversated about "irregardless" in an earlier thread. You should orientate yourself (as another Insider wrote) betterer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 9, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Szetela in the 18 per Goff twitter.

Daggar, welcome to C'Ville! Mellow Mushroom on the corner will probably be showing the USA game, as will McGrady's on Preston, I'd think...and you can probably convince them to put DCU on as well.

Posted by: the_slammer | September 9, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | September 9, 2009 6:20 PM

I don't know how soccer friendly it is, but The Horse and Hound on West Main is a pleasant place with good beer and food.

I think any old sports bar will do for Classic and CSN though - BW3 or the brewery on Main Street?

Posted by: Kev29 | September 9, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Finally a start for McTavish!

I hope we get to see Shipalane too today..

Posted by: StewartDC8 | September 9, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Szetela's in the 18! On the way out of the doghouse, perhaps? We could certainly use him, with about half of the backline going down and Simms having to go play centerback.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 9, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

attendance? Who cares this isn't Seattle!
If United hadn't rescheduled in direct conflict with a crucial US match I'd probably be at RFK tonight.
Go United!
Vamus USA!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tips, folks.

Posted by: daggar | September 9, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm predicting attendance is greater than 9400, if only because of the job fair currently in sections 301 and 303.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 9, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Also, nice lineup. I guess since the speech has been made to the schoolchildren, there's no need for Szetela to head to Area 51 instead of being in the 18.

(If you don't know what I'm referring to, check I-270, Exit 1's comments yesterday.)

Posted by: B_A_ | September 9, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

am i missing something? why on earth would dc united go head to head with the USMNT. That has to be a thousands of dollars mistake. If i screw up a few thousand at work i would get fired. oh well....

Posted by: wordup1 | September 9, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

So the Wallace experiment begins. Worth a look, definitely better than John in my mind. And no Fred!

Guess we'll find out of the old guys can get it done up front after that bit of rest.

Posted by: benonthehill | September 9, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

what are there like 4k at the match tonight? Hope all that money they made for the Real Madrid match makes up for that...
Stupid rescheduling this for tonight.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

wordup1 this game was rescheduled so DCU could play their Real Madrid friendly.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know of an online link where I can watch the game?

Posted by: erichfeige | September 9, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jermWV | September 9, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

All the words/letters in the previous post are part of the web address

Posted by: jermWV | September 9, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

so Emilio just came up from a breakaway and put a half-@$$ shot on goal. it was disgusting. I wish we would get rid of him. Id rather Pontius and Quaranta fill that spot.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 9, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

GOAL United!

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 9, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 9, 2009 8:14 PM |
-------------------

It wasn't his best performance, that's for sure.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Im just so done with Emilio.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 9, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

he just scored a goal, what do you want from him? an egg donation?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

10 more goals?

Posted by: B_A_ | September 9, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

420 more goals, please.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 9, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Soehn's biggest personnel challenge per game is how many players he can play out of there natural position...

Simms at CB
Q at left wing
Wallace at DM
Party Boy at RM

makes me dizzy....

Posted by: SoehntheExit | September 9, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

dadryan

he 'scored' but he just happened to be there right place right time. namoff and pontius did all the work. emilio just cherry picks. i havent seen him score a goal off a run or a nice shot since he won mvp.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 9, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

McT starts at CB and we get a shutout. What's next, Szetela playing?

Posted by: Reignking | September 9, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

*knocks on wood*

Match isn't over yet, Reignking.

Posted by: B_A_ | September 9, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I heard Kevin Hartman was the veteran leader for Neanderthal FC.

Posted by: wis193 | September 9, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Might I ask what exactly Chance Myers was complaining about? That could have been a straight red for the tackle above the knee with the swing of the leg.

Posted by: wis193 | September 9, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

kenny if you're looking for something pretty you're watching the wrong team this year. Emilio is/was/will always be a poacher and to be honest I think he's had a better season overall this year than last year. Not to mention I remember him scoring an absolutely heroic game winning goal in extra time in Chicago last season.
Do you remember that one?
Emilio will finish out this season, and honestly there isn't another pure striker on the team so shut up and ride it out with the rest of us.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Put this game under one of the worst we ever played and still won category.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 9, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

If United beats Seattle this weekend things are looking just fine.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

he just scored a goal, what do you want from him? an egg donation? Posted by: DadRyan

Uh, think Y chromosome, not X. Either way, Emilio has a huge pay cut or a cut awaiting him this offseason.

Posted by: delantero | September 9, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, 3 points is 3 points. No matter if it's US v T and T or this one. At this point, I don't care!

Posted by: delantero | September 9, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

BA: mlsnet.com had 45:00 2nd half listed, so I thought the game was over

Posted by: Reignking | September 9, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

yep, the point of the egg donation joke is that some of you guys have outrageous expectations for a guy who Goff said himself is just not that good. He's still scored plenty of Goals for United since he landed here. I agree that he makes far too much money for any amount of production. 9 goals isn't bad. It's on the upper end of what anyone has done around the league this year.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | September 9, 2009 9:32 PM

Which, if you think about it, is kinda a sad statement about where this team is.

Instead of saying:

"Hey DCU is comfortably up 6-8 points in the playoff standings in the east, we're just trying to get everyone healthy for a deep run in the playoffs."

We're forced to say:

"We won. Whew! Now if only we win Saturday and the next game and if Team A loses both games but if Team B wins one and loses one while Team C beats Team A and Team B beats Team C, than maybe we can sneak into the playoffs with one of the atlarge spots."

Cannot wait for the Reign of Tommy to be over.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 9, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Poop-

Cut it out.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 9, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, the MLS Cup is all about getting hot at the right time. We've been 6-8 points up in the standings before and backed into the playoff, only to be shut down each time.

I hope Soehn comes back next year, just to piss all you people off. Of course, then I have to sit through another season of the endless, nauseating, and mindless "Fire the Coach" routine so it's probably not worth it.

Posted by: vivzig | September 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow-I just checked mlsnet.com and the headline for the game is, "Emilio's Magic Overwhelms Wizards". Lol.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

3 points without 2 starting backs and a center mid who barely touched the ball (Gomez). Great coaching and great goalkeeping tonight. United fought for every ball in 2nd half, all over the field. Wicks saved 4 maybe 5 obvious scoring chances. And each sub in my book was in line with what the game dictated.
Seattle better bring it!!

Vamos United!

Posted by: sevnshvn | September 9, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

vivzig - couldn't agree more with you! Don't worry, we make the playoffs and get into the MLS Final, the crying will cease about the Coach. All the sudden he won't be so dumb and the SI'ers won't be so smart. Remember, this is Washington DC, the USA's Bandwagon sports town.

Posted by: sevnshvn | September 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's goal was quintessential Emilio/poaching. Pontius makes a great play on the ball, denied & Emilio takes sloppy seconds. He is what he is, he's just not really worth the $$ we committed to him....but, at least we have somebody who fills that role.

Posted by: jnel | September 9, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sevnshvn | September 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse
Seriously! I've never come across a whinier (sp?) group of "fans"!

Posted by: vivzig | September 9, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

You guys are over-egging the donation.

Posted by: joedoc1 | September 9, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | September 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I know! I'm so sick of MLSnet's articles sounding like they were spun for 3 year olds. What was the one article from awhile ago?.. something like "Ball doesn't bounce right for Red Bulls", LOL, Whatever...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | September 9, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1, Emilio is overpoaching the egg.

Posted by: Reignking | September 9, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I Love Luci!

And his 40 poached eggs (+ eggs he's poached in other competitions).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | September 9, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

what a bizarre game. Was that the luckiest match for DCU ever? KC couldn't score if we teed it up on the goal line for them and they had to do was blow it across. The defense was terrible but we still managed to win! Methinks Seattle would be much better at finishing than KC was tonight if we play this badly on Saturday.

It was looking like the smallest crowd in RFK history at the start of the match.

Posted by: fedssocr | September 9, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

once again Messico wins by referee intimidation.
ugh!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 9, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"Which, if you think about it, is kinda a sad statement about where this team is"

Yes, it is Poopster. But you can't change the cards you are dealt. 2 starters out . . I'll take the points.

I have a feeling Seattle might bring a little more on Saturday.

Posted by: delantero | September 9, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | September 9, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Everyone was at home watching the qualifiers???

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 9, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Seattle will be missing the perty Swede. That should slow them down bit if you ask me. They will have Hurtado back, but I think I like DCU's odds this weekend. Has the 3-5-2 been thrown in the garbage for now?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good night tonight in DC for everyone not named Joe Wilson (idiot!). DCU and USA get ugly 1-0 victories. I'll take ugly wins any day over very well played draws.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 9, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Wallace - 4
Wicks - 6.5

Subs:

Olsen - 6
John - 6
Fred - NR

Positives: Some truly gritty individual performances. Moreno had his best game in weeks. Ditto Olsen. A crucial, well-executed offside trap late in the game (can't remember the last time I saw that from this team).

Negatives: Good lord this team looks slow, and touch on the ball was lacking all around, except for #99. Nice to see #11 roof one into an empty net, but I saw NO speed, NO burst, NO power, NO pop, NO hops, NO touch and NO shot from him. He's finished. Sorry, Dad, his garbage is not worth paying to see.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 9, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the NYRB Open Cup game earlier this year was a smaller crowd than tonight. However, it looked close.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 9, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Dude you guys are making like I'm singing praises for Luci, at the same time I'm getting called a fairweather fan in other threads because I said if these guys don't get bare minimum to max points this week I'm not PAYING to go to another DCU game this year!
Treat me right baby! I'm just saying, that the guys pretty much all we got for now. Cross your fingers Shipalane or someone else gets some pt and scores some flippin' goals. Sheesh.
Emilio doesn't deserve his money and I hope that the club can either cut him or convince him we can't pay him this much money for so little.

In all honesty it's not like many guys are giving the guy a run for his money in Game winning goals with a grand total of 8! wins in league play for the year!
You guys realize Namoff holds that title with 2 right?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

That didn't come out right. Namoff leads the team in Game winning goals I think. Right? Ja..Ha..ha.ja.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 9, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Dad, you're right, as long as DCU stays in the playoff picture, Luci will keep seeing the field. Which means there's that shred of hope he'll wake up, and/or become visible to his teammates again.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 10, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I started it earlier this morning (well, yesterday, but whatever, I had to stay up after the win to watch the DVRed US game), so I may as well come back around: "factoid" is actually a word that describes something that looks like a real fact, and is presented as one to make an argument, but that isn't true. "-oid" means "appearing like" (as in "humanoid," "android," "alkaloid," and "ovoid").

Posted by: sec133row5 | September 10, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Lot of talk here about our defense. What do you expect, when the first 30 minutes of the game we are on defense 90% of the time, because Emilio, Quaranta and Gomez were missing, and Fred was where he belonged. The first 30 minutes looked like KC was taking target practice!!Our back line looked a lot more solid when
(I don't know when to stay home) Wallace was moved and (I can foul anybody anyplace, James was taken out!! Kudos to the defense (on a tough game)for getting a shutout. A shutout is a shutout and we should be praising the defense, not tearing them down!! If you want to criticize, there are always our offensive players!!

Posted by: patrick18 | September 10, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

dadryan- thanks for the info that this game was rescheduled as a result of the Real Madrid game. However, I find it hard to believe that the ONLY day and time that worked was a direct head to head with the USMNT at the end of qualifying (read: probably an important game).

Successful organizations are excellent from top to bottom ranging from mission related work (in this case, playing soccer) to the support stuff (marketing, attendance, sponsorships, stadium experience, etc.)

So, as much as we attack soehn and the players at times for their performances, I think that they are the product of dealing with mediocre league and team management

Actually, I am working on an operating plan for United/a theoretical MLS team because i am so convinced that they do it all wrong. We'll see....

Posted by: wordup1 | September 10, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you wordup. This is the third time this year that United has dropped the ball IMO scheduling their matches at the same time as WCQ. I know that it may not be completely in their control, and if they actually had players on their roster who were anywhere near deserving of national team call ups for their respective countries in games that actually matter we might see them try a little harder.

DCU should know better. There are obviously a few of us out here who don't have DVR's or will simply always choose USMNT WCQ's over watching a floundering DCU squad against a bottom dwelling opponent. At least in person anyway.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse