Matchnight #26: United-Sounders

Greetings from RFK.

Strangest pregame sight: Participants from the afternoon Tea Party protests on Capitol Hill, presumably returning to their cars/buses in the RFK lots, walking in the direction of the DCU Latin American festival underway in Lot 8. Not passing judgement, just making an observation about two very different groups crossing paths. Actually, I think the Tea Party folks were here to protest MLS's socialist salary cap. ;-)

Believe it or not, United could claim a share of first place tonight. DCU is just three points behind front-runner Columbus, which doesn't play until Sunday afternoon against Houston. Second-place Chicago is at Real Salt Lake tonight. Of course, DCU has played two more games (three after tonight) than the Crew and one more than the Fire.

Factoid: United is 6-0-5 at home in league play with only eight goals conceded, while Seattle is 2-4-5 on the road with just 10 scored.

Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET.
TV: Comcast SportsNet/DC, Direct Kick.
Local Announcers: Dave Johnson and Thomas Rongen.

DCU lineup and reserves later.....
DCU: Wicks; Namoff, Simms, James, John; Quaranta, Olsen, Wallace, Fred; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, McTavish, Habarugira, Jacobson, Gomez, Shipalane, Pontius.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are warmly welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  September 12, 2009; 5:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: United Rewind

Comments

So that where Fox News told all those protectors to park there cars.....

Wished I could have seen that interaction. Wish I could watch this game on a television and not on my computer.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 12, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

and my protectors I really tried to say protesters. Should pro-read.

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 12, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

proof* haha

Posted by: grubbsbl | September 12, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho -- where's the UnitedCast?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 12, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

TFC getting a win today puts pressure on both of these teams to get some kind of result. I'm expecting a shootout.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | September 12, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

442 this time...ha.

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"442 this time...ha."

3-5-2 has to be dead. Doesn't it? Maybe if we're down late in the half, but jeez.

Sorry to see Pontius not in. Fred needs to put together 20 minutes of quality, or he's gone by halftime again.

And what's the wager on when John will get his first card?

Posted by: delantero | September 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, I think the Tea Party folks were here to protest MLS's socialist salary cap."

Soccer is a communist sport anyhow. Only played by immigrants and fuurriinners.

Plus, they'd have to take on the NFL/NBA caps too!

Granted, it's a lot easier to be socialist when your cap is $100 million bucks.

Posted by: delantero | September 12, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Still no Szetela?

I need to find out what he did so I can pull that at my job.

Posted by: FatSickBoot | September 12, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Having seen that lineup, I'm not even sure I want to head to the bar to watch the match... damn.

Posted by: alecw81 | September 12, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Still no Szetela?

I need to find out what he did so I can pull that at my job.

Posted by: FatSickBoot | September 12, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

IMO it's not a big deal that he's left out of the squad this time, we have both Jacobsen and Gomez as CM subs, and we needed the extra spot so that Habarugira could come in and give some defense off the bench.

Posted by: sockey1 | September 12, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

We're going to win, I have a feeling.

Goff - Based on what you've seen, what is your estimate on attendance?

(Attendance for the tea party or DCU? Both. Why not?)

Posted by: B_A_ | September 12, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Come on alecw81 lets try this together. On three. Ready?
One-Two-Three:

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 12, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

442 this time, also, because we have more personnel.

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Already down 1 - 0. Zakuani with an easy goal.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 12, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

good lord.

why, wicks? why?

Posted by: sockey1 | September 12, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

That's just depressing.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I wish we had Rimando, he would never have put us in all those hot head positions, and i just liked him. Wicks has been good at times, but when he is off, he is off. And yelling and carrying on so much can not be good for team morale.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 12, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

i am so jealous to watch a team with speed, when my team is made up of 11 glaciers.

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 12, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey at least this beats watching old reruns of My Two Dads

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 12, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Poop, why do you watch if you hate it so much?

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or are we getting mugged and no calls?

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Dude, please remember this Namoff performance. He's been sucking nuts.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Pontius should energize us as I hope he comes on for Fred. Maybe Gomez too? Need some energy.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | September 12, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't help when him and Soehn are screaming at each other.

Posted by: Section117 | September 12, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

0 shots on goal. should have stayed at the bar listening to the band.

Posted by: troy6 | September 12, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Pontius for Fred would be great right now. I suspect not until the 65th though.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I like being wrong.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

better lucky than good. i feel better now.

Posted by: troy6 | September 12, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

amazing how we can only score on PKs and broken plays..but, i'll take it.

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 12, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

oh please viv, i'm as big a dcu fan as they come. i can't make a joke, involving a crummy 80's sitcom?

whatever.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 12, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

i have rarely seen this team so out of sync.

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 12, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

We can't seem to complete a pass.

Poop, I read this blog a fair bit. You're a hater. It's cool, if that's what gets you going, but cop to it.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Bodies falling everywhere.

Anybody think that Tino's card was a delayed yellow for last game. It was more of a foul this time, I would say.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Jaqua: "The thundering bull!" -Dave Johnson

Emilio needs to be fined for that shot.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Emilio got mugged there...nice (lucky) header to him

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

sigh . . .Montero scores 2-1 Seattle

Posted by: emanon13 | September 12, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I hate that kid.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Keller acting like Wicks...

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Fail 2-1

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Five game homestand, 4-4-2. None of it really matters, does it?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | September 12, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I want to win the rest of the games, surprise the crap out of everyone in the playoffs, and then beat Shiattle on their home field for the MLS Cup- and beat them SOUNDly.

Then again, that would give the FO good reason to keep Tom Soehn...

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 12, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

don't sweat it, poop. happy to have anyone who really cares posting.

so...perhaps I'm really slow on the uptake, but are we just not that good?

Posted by: troy6 | September 12, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

season's over for me. good night everybody. oh, and yeah get rid of the coach and that a-hole goalie. thanks.

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 12, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Luciano is the worst impact striker in the league.
Who wouldn't you trade him for?

Posted by: billq1 | September 12, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Dear FO,

For Christmas I want a good coach and a good team and good trainers and a new fighting spirit in the organization. In my stocking I'd like season tickets (plan A) and a soccer-specific stadium on the Anacostia.

Your friend,

Ashley

Posted by: ashleybone | September 12, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn
Why sub for Moreno in the 82nd? What good will that do if you want to win. At least give Gomez half a chance to make an impact.

Quaranta and Fred shouldn't start (or play) they were awful. How can a Brazilian pro have a touch like that and still play. Will Q2 ever take someone on one v one?

Thomas was plainly outcoached by Sigimund.

What difference will it make if we make the playoffs until we off-load a bunch of date players passed their due date.

Sad to say that Moreno was in that club tonight. Awful. So was Olsen.

Posted by: RRP1 | September 12, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Season's for DCU too.

Cut Fred. Cut Quaranta. Cut Gomez. Retire Olsen. Retire Moreno. Trade Emilio. Cut Wicks (even though tonight's goals were not his fault). i don't care whether you keep the coach or not. these players are past it and need to go.

Posted by: Ron16 | September 12, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Cut Ron16.

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

We pretty much had a tie locked in and were looking at a go-ahead goal, having found a weak spot between the two center backs on our left side through which Wallace scored and Emilio scored twice (except not). Keller was furious. Then -- the brilliant decision to make two substitutions at the same time, unsettling the midfield enough to allow a quick Seattle goal and killing the attacking momentum. Jesus wept.

Posted by: dccal | September 12, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Tonight was like watching someone try to put round pegs in square holes. I get dizzy trying to take it all in, Strikers as wingers, Defenders as Mid-fielders, Mids as defenders etc.....Using the same tactics that didn't work 10 days ago. Isn't doing the same thing over and over again the clinical expression of insanity or is it stupidity? Can't remember.

EmiliSlo and Moreno have to be the slowest forward pairing in the league, perhaps in any league, it's down right painful to watch. And as Bruce at DuNOrd noted last season.....EmiliSLo has the touch of a hoofed animal.

It's not to hard to figure out how to beat DC:

Let them play kick around until they get into the attacking third, then start pressing and force the play to come up top where you have 4 players pressure EmiliSLo/Fred/Moreno to cough it up and then go on the counter attack against an over extended/spread-out defense. Though hell half the time EmiliSLO's traps look like throw balls for the opposing team.

The season is effectively done, even if DC makes the playoffs there is no realistic chance of advancing far, though I'd love another Cup, this team and coach aren't gonna get it.

Interestingly there seems to be a good core of youth but Fred, EmilSlo, and Gomez have to go... Moreno should retire.....Perhaps Olsen has another season in him but he is not the Caveman he use to be. Oh and so I forgot..... Tommy Soehn needs to be packed onto that bus with Fred and Co., he was a great assistant but being the man on top is clearly not his forte. He is to coaching what Janicki is to defending.

Enjoy the rest of the season I'm done.......

Posted by: SoehntheExit | September 12, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Any Club Except Seattle.
Are those god danged scarves really sold out?
When's the next run?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

RDA was the only reason why I was at the game!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 12, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Keller acting like Wicks...

Posted by: Reignking | September 12, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ya. I think Keller and Wicks both need to try yoga or somthin.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 12, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Almost a perfect evening.

Talked to 3 DCU figures
Pregame- Kevin Payne, Lot 8!
In Game- Will Chang, drum circle halftime!
Post Game- Dejan Jakovic, outside the stadium!

Now to the game...
Average first half and an AMAZING second half. Very entertaining! The intensity and scoring chances were superb. A great game to watch regardless of team affiliation. The game could've went either way and unfortunately it went Seattle's way. If Emilio scores on that chance when he lost his shoe it's a completely different game. Yeah, Wicks should've punched that second goal by Montero but I'll cut him a break because I think he was injured.

Great game all around and came very close to being that 'perfect' night.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 12, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

My top performers:

Ben Olsen: 8
Bryan Namoff: 7.5

Posted by: redskinsux | September 12, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, that game was kind of a microcosm of the season. DCU looked largely disinterested and discombobulated for the first half, woke up at halftime, failed to convert on three solid chances, and pays the price at the end.

We didn't play nearly well enough to deserve a win, and came close to getting one anyway (if Emilio doesn't flub two golden chances and Benny is a half-step faster and pokes in that sweet through ball).

But all you had to do is look at the lineup and our makeshift back line to know this game was going to be trouble: John (not on the team at the start of the season), James (ditto), Simms (playing out of position), and Namoff (who has probably his worst game of the season).

I hate to write off the season, but the odds are that even if we make it into the playoffs, we're not going far. On the plus side, we've got some sweet young talent for next year (Wallace, Pontius, Jakovic, maybe Szetela, maybe Wicks).

Posted by: edgeonyou | September 12, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@redskinsux -- did you enter a wormhole and come out in a parallel universe? I was at RFK tonight and the game and player ratings you describe was not the one I saw. I really would like to know how you entered that parallel universe, sounds much better there than the reality here.

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 12, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the rest of the season I'm done...
Posted by: SoehntheExit |

season's over for me. good night everybody.
Posted by: birdynumnum |
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

You guys are leaving us? Promise? Well, it's not all bad news tonight. They'll prolly be back when things are better; that's how fair weather fans are.

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

UNITED TIL I DIE!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 12, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

That had to be the poorest officiating I have ever seen.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 12, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

@redsinsux
Clearly you had too much to drink. The only think entertaining about tonight was seeing a rookie smart enough to follow the play and the shot on goal so he could pick up the slop and keep his team in the game. Go Wallace.

I can't believe Fred and Emilio get any playing time. If there is anything that baffles me, it's how these guys can't trap the ball let alone hold onto it. Then they kick it away from themselves. I'd call it passing, but that implies there is intent to get it to a teammate.

So bummed. So many chances missed, so many more chances not even taken. It's unbelievable how this team refuses to make easy passes and either hesitates 'til there is no play or tries something fancy (read "stupid") and gives the ball away.

Nobody was checking back to the ball tonight. Nobody was taking Jaime's direction on where the play should go.

I didn't think the ref was calling a tight enough game - a few rough plays were let go and could have caused tempers to flair. Not something we needed tonight. But in the end, the ref didn't make the difference so there's no use complaining.

I think DCU Ownership should let Insider bloggers vote on what the next line-up and 18-man roster should be. Chances are, it wouldn't look anything like Soehn's line-up tonight. Then let Chest manage the subs. Let's see if we can win one.

Posted by: spata2 | September 12, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

@ 9Nine9

chill the hell out. me, along with a bunch of others, are VENTING. that's what this site is for. if not, i'd go postal. of course, i haven't given up on this team. i never will, but, again, it's called venting, you numnut.

Posted by: birdynumnum | September 12, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Lots of RAVE GREEN on the Mall today. We came to DC and kicked tail for 18 straight hours! B-bye DC!

Posted by: pscottc | September 12, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em, 9Nine9. I hate fair weather fans.

GO United.

Posted by: vivzig | September 12, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I figured that it's not other teams are good but United really really suck right now. They do not have any quality. They are completely flat and that's got to be the coaching staffs' fault. It's been like this for the last couple of years. We made crap shoot team like Seattle a good team.
By the way, they are shameless to show off their only cup (and US Open cup) title and talk at United. Wow, what a moran? Come back and talk to us when you have !2. That's TWELVE and not just the us open cup but MLS and International competitions. Do you even know what those are? I bet you don't. Wait few more years so you will know. Haha

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | September 12, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

At this point, the only way DCU qualifies for the 2010-2011 CONCACAF Champions League is if they make it to the MLS Cup Final. Even if they run the table for the rest of this MLS season, I can't see them winning the Supporter's Shield.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 12, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate the Sounders. I hate their fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | September 12, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

lol

o this dumb playoff system..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 12, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

To be honest Juan-John. As much as I'd like Champion's League to be on the agenda, there's gotta be some sort of silver lining to DCU not having to compete in anything other than league play next season. I'm sure they'll give the Open Cup another shot, but I think a strict focus on league play, and their stadium push might not be the worst thing in the world. Especially with the South Africa looming and what not.

We'll be able to sit back and then embarrass an exhausted Sounders squad next year right? Unless of course we meet them one more time in the playoffs or in the Cup final eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

The execution tonight was terrible. United's first touch let them down repeatedly. Their passing was atrocious leading to turnover after turnover. Their execution in the offensive third was mediocre to say the least. Their ability to defend counter attacks was sub par as it has been repeatedly this season.

I repeat what I've been saying for a couple of months now. United just isn't that good right now. It is way more than Soehn. Truthfully it is a talent issue first and foremost, not a coaching issue.

Hope for the playoffs. It is still out there and all things considered it would be quite an accomplishment this season.

Posted by: croftonpost | September 12, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

DCU has 36 points right now. If it runs the table for the last four games (12 total points possible), they would finish the MLS season with 48 points.

Question is, will that be enough to make the playoffs?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 12, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

That had to be the poorest officiating I have ever seen.

Posted by: VirginiaFan

I guess you didn't watch the Notre Dame-Michigan game today. Notre Dame lost 14 points, 2 precious seconds, and countless interference and holding calls today. Just disgraceful.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 12, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

"Now that makes me think that DC can still pull a GAYLAXIAN/CRACKBULL miracle if it makes it to the MLS final!!"

No homophobia or drugs references. It's the GalPals and the Pink Cows or the Red Bull New York MetroStar Red Bulls of Harrison, New Jersey.

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 12, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see what the guys get as a rating. If Tino gets anything over a 1 he is overrated. He stood and watched the game all night. We had good guys, Joe Vide, Ivan Guarerro (sp?), Craig Thompson. It seems like it doesn't take much to make Coach's list. So Szetella has an attitude - so did Freddy. We have had alot of guys this year that would have done a good job and they are just names on paper now. So is Lawson Vaughn. According to Wikipedia he has not played because of injury since mid-2008. I'm sure he will save us. Was Eli Allen bad? Who knows, he didn't make it out of training sessions for anyone to see. I did not feel safe with the Riverhound in center full last year. We really should have done better by him tho. We could have released him so he could get a USL team. Devon McTavish is woefully underused. He was one of our 4 full backs before. Just exactly why is he on the list of those who never make it to the field? He certainly beats some we are using. Just for my personal info, who was our "Christian Gomez" tonight. I looked really hard and never saw anyone in the slot till he came in.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 13, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy the rest of the season I'm done...
Posted by: SoehntheExit |

season's over for me. good night everybody.
Posted by: birdynumnum |
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

UNITED TIL I DIE!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 12, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

9Nine9,
After 14 years of following United, I hardly consider myself a fair weather fan, but after 18 months of vehemently advocating Tommy Soehn's removal as coach I find myself an extremely frustrated and p-offed one, to the point that if I watch one more game of this tactical non-sense I will need head-meds. So I would actually consider myself an overly obsessed fan that has seen hundreds and hundreds of DC games and wants to witness the magic that use to be associated with that experience.

Basically for me watching United these days is about as inspiring as reading tired cliches like:
"Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!"

Posted by: SoehntheExit | September 13, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Luciano is the worst impact striker in the league.
Who wouldn't you trade him for?

Posted by: billq1

Chad Barrett?

Posted by: kdiff813 | September 13, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

If being a fan means putting on rose colored glasses and saying everything is great when in reality it sucks then count me out.

If being a fan means wanting your team to play its heart out and giving them all you got win or lose then I'm there. I didn't see them give their all til 2nd half. Not good enough. Full on all the time. Our rookies showed up, our vets didn't simple. And Soehn sucks as a coach. Shame on us for keeping him employed.

Posted by: RRP1 | September 13, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I was too busy trying to get the crowd on La Norte side to get up. So many wearing the colors that sit there like they are watching bloody MTV.

I have to say, it was a work out. But, it was frikkin fun!!!

But I digress. I have no comment, really, on how they played. Intoxication grasped my brain a wee bit early.... (pounding about a 12 pack can do it to anyone.) So I will hold my judgement on the play until I watch the replay.

Though, my voice regrets the constant torture I put it through to get these lame (censored) coushin sitting wannabe's......

Gah, its frikking frustrating. I spanned the whole "opposing side" of "fans" that wore the colors of DC.

But...maybe.....my....No....my desire will be fulfilled before I die. That stadium (before DC leaves that stadium) will be full cooperation. Bara starts a song, all fans will be singing the same song.

Posted by: dogboy | September 13, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't hate the Sounders. I hate their fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | September 12, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse
***************************************
Don't hate us all man. Many Sounders fans are quite wonderful people with families and a desire for freedom and unlimited beer. Hate the extreme marginalized fans who lurk in their basements and don't know how to spell MORON (chrissake!).

The rest of you should join us in an expression of brotherhood, bound together by similar passions for futbol, the offside trap and a hunger for just one referee who plays on advantage rule correctly. :-)

Thanks for great hospitality and good luck the rest of the season.

Posted by: Ciscokid50 | September 13, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Seattle fans, welcome. It's all new and shiny and fun. Hope you still like it when it's rusty and the engine's got a knock.

That's where we are now and have been before. But our renovations aren't done. We still have 4 MLS Cups and 4 Supporters Shields . etc . . . etc . . .

Posted by: delantero | September 13, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

They all have Tino disease, minus the hair gel.

Posted by: delantero | September 13, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy the rest of the season I'm done...
Posted by: SoehntheExit
season's over for me. good night everybody.
Posted by: birdynumnum |

Sorry to call you guys fair weather fans. Quiting on a team there are still games to play is being a good fan and rather numnuttious of me...my bad!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 13, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy the rest of the season I'm done...
Posted by: SoehntheExit
season's over for me. good night everybody.
Posted by: birdynumnum |

Sorry to call you guys fair weather fans. Quiting on a team there are still games to play is being a good fan. How verrrrry numnuttious of me...my bad!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | September 13, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

"It's Soehn. Over and over again, I saw United players throwing their hands up when they didn't get the ball back. Or when their run went unrewarded. Or when the pass wasn't right there."

I agree with you Delantero. There was lots of frustration out there tonight and it has been the story of the season. After the game, I ran into Jakovic. I talked to him briefly and I definitely could sense some frustration and disappointment coming from him. He wasn't happy.

Posted by: redskinsux | September 13, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

For all you of you that see the world through prejudice and stereotypes, I hope this does not make your head explode.

I attended the tea party before heading over to Lot 8 to party at the Latin American Festival. I am also a DC United season ticket holder, have lived and worked extensively in Latin America, speak fluent Spanish, and agree with most of what was said at the tea party.

Shocked? Only if you categorize people into groups rather than see ing them as individuals...

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | September 13, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

DCU4Life-I am American born-and-raised in my early 50's who never had the chance to play the beautiful game, but was exposed to it watching the Cosmos in NY as a teenager and got hooked watching the 82 WC in Spanish on an old b/w set at an apartment near LA. Have been to 2 WC finals (94 and 2006) and to the USA-MEX match in Azteca in 2005...

Like you, am in total sympathy with the tea partiers, as is my Mexican born-and-raised wife...

Moral of the story-futbol fans can't be typecast!!!

Posted by: targetmedia | September 13, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

targetmedia - Thanks for sharing. Azteca. That must have been an experience.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | September 13, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse